Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

u guys are ridiculous. Clammering for Javfrail to get traded now your mad...

GREAT trade for the wiz love the move. Nene plays D and is much better than mcgee. Plus we can build around wall and Nene, plus our 1st round draft pick this year.

Or maybe they are extremely high on McGee and think he will be better than Nene already is.

Nope. The Nuggets definitely have buyers remorse.

Just talked to some Nuggets fans and its widely known that Nene is declining...quickly.

And if you factor in his salary the next five years its a horrible deal.

Thats it. I'm done with this team. :(

1.) We got something in return for McGee instead of letting him walk for nothing.

2.) We got a CENTER in return for JaVale, when our options at C were miniscule (I was talking myself into Solomon Alabi as starter at one point).

3.) We somehow got a BETTER center in return for JaVale, who's contract is likely better than the one Javale's going to sign this summer.

4.) We got rid of the black hole known as Nick Young so maybe our offense will comprise about 75% less hero ball than before.

To me this was a huge win.

They would have to be extremely high on something to be high on McGee.

Or maybe they remember what Nene looked like in year 4/5 of his career...

He had a higher assisted basket percentage (because he couldn't create his own shot) struggled on defense and could rebound with a damn (still can't by center standards). Let's just wait and see what the numbers and results show us at the end of the season. Assuming Nene plays enough games for the remainder of the year to have something to compare.

u guys are ridiculous. Clammering for Javfrail to get traded now your mad...

GREAT trade for the wiz love the move. Nene plays D and is much better than mcgee. Plus we can build around wall and Nene, plus our 1st round draft pick this year.

Yep its a great idea to build around a 30yr big man with knee injuries and a bad contract.

Ernie's extension will be the icing on the cake.

1.) We got something in return for McGee instead of letting him walk for nothing.

2.) We got a CENTER in return for JaVale, when our options at C were miniscule (I was talking myself into Solomon Alabi as starter at one point).

3.) We somehow got a BETTER center in return for JaVale, who's contract is likely better than the one Javale's going to sign this summer.

4.) We got rid of the black hole known as Nick Young so maybe our offense will comprise about 75% less hero ball than before.

To me this was a huge win.

I love how one guy (on this site) reported that Javale was going to get 14 million a year and everyone just ran with it. He can want a 20 million a year, doesn't mean he's going to get it. Marc Gasol was in the exact same position last season as a restricted free agent and he got

11-12 $12,922,194

12-13 $13,891,359

13-14 $14,860,523

14-15 $15,829,688

This is coming off a year when he was big in the post season, had FAR better numbers that both nene and mcgee, and was 26 years old.

Here's an idea: let him walk in FA and save the cap.

This trade reeks of desperation because Ernie created a mess in which no player will want to sign. The only way he can add a modicum of talent is by trading for overpaid veterans.

I also have no idea who was advocating for McGee trades. Especially for a trade where we send him out for a horrible horrible contract.

Wes Unseld 2.0.

If healthy this deal works, but just from digging around on Nuggets sites, I don't think we're getting a healthy Nene.

His skills fit with Wall perfectly, but they're useless if he's in a suit most nights or playing at 60%.

Here's an idea: let him walk in FA and save the cap.

This trade reeks of desperation because Ernie created a mess in which no player will want to sign. The only way he can add a modicum of talent is by trading for overpaid veterans.

I also have no idea who was advocating for McGee trades. Especially for a trade where we send him out for a horrible horrible contract.

Wes Unseld 2.0.

This was Ernie making a move he hopes saves his job.

Edited by StillUnknown

Gasol is outperforming his deal. Wanna bet he signs for so little today? He would get a max deal now.

Why we didn't offer a max deal and force Memphis to meet it, I'll never know. Why anyone didn't, I'll never know.

It wasn't just one guy who reported that 14 million number. There were reports from different sources that Javale's camp had told the Wizards that 14 million was his starting point.

You just can't sign JaVale for that much. So what were we supposed to do? Let him walk for nothing and not have a center with no realistic options on the horizon?

No, we were proactive and went out and upgraded him.

Good Nene shoots ~59-60% and scores about 13-14 PPG and he defends pretty well. That's perfect for both our PG and our future PF if we can draft Anthony Davis...

Our offense should be so much more fluid with JaVale and NY out and Nene in. People complain about being too young and not being able to shoot. Well, this deal helps us in both regards.

Good Nene shoots ~59-60% and scores about 13-14 PPG and he defends pretty well. That's perfect for both our PG and our future PF if we can draft Anthony Davis...

Our offense should be so much more fluid with JaVale and NY out and Nene in. People complain about being too young and not being able to shoot. Well, this deal helps us in both regards.

He's short in that range 3 out of 10 seasons and this current season isn't one of them. He's shot .509 this season.

But what is done is done. McGee had to go and we got a starting center in exchange. I hate this trade personally because I think this team is a ways off and this is one of those trades that kills you later (when the team actually has a chance of being good). However I will be happy to see a hopefully improved Wizards team this season and next.

Woj: McGee seen boarding wrong flight to Denver, Iowa. Sources claim to have witnessed McGee running back through the airport to the correct terminal

bahaha I almost spit out my water.

I like the trade Nene is a solid strong positional defender in the post. And it improves our pick & roll offense and defense immensely. The biggest worry and hope is he stays healthy. I know Nuggets fans think we got the better end. I wish we woulda got the clippers 1st round pick.

Maybe he takes all the booing to heart and it lights a fire under his ass this summer in combination with a new coach and atleast makes himself tradeable next year. If he would just play hard he has a very good skillset but his confidence is gone.

Knowing EG he will trade our lottery pick to dump Blatche for a decent vet.

Give me a break. Nick Young's agent demanded 9 million a season last year. Did he get it? What a player wants has nothing to do with what he actually gets.

Gator said that's what Ted thinks he can get.

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 07:03 PM ----------

He's short in that range 3 out of 10 seasons and this current season isn't one of them. He's shot .509 this season.

But what is done is done. McGee had to go and we got a starting center in exchange. I hate this trade personally because I think this team is a ways off and this is one of those trades that kills you later (when the team actually has a chance of being good). However I will be happy to see a hopefully improved Wizards team this season and next.

It's a lockout season and he's been injured. Those three seasons were the most recent ones until this one. Seems reasonable to expect him to regress back to his averages when we're in a normal season.

I think the Nuggets panicked. Play is down league wide because of the schedule. Nene's skills are the type that last.

If this trade included Wilson Chandler to us or Andre Blatche to anyone it would have been great. If we got a decent 1st round pick it would have been better. Dumping a massive contract on us and taking no contracts off our hands however for an injury risk in return that when healthy is a good, not great, upgrade at center isn't a good trade.

Now keep in mind that I don't know the locker room situation. Perhaps McGee and Wall couldn't stand each other. Maybe McGee was a major problem on the team. From a purely basketball business perspective taking a 5 year deal of this size for an injured player and not unloading any contracts at the same time is generally considered bad. 2nd round picks are more often than not meaningless.

Having said that a veteran presence at center is a welcome change. This team was too young and too unprofessional. Hopefully the infusion of a veteran starter from a winning team can help this team mature. Hopefully the ball finds its way into the paint more often now that Young is gone and Nene is here. I'd love to see the wizards at least match last years winning percentage and close out fairly well. They need some reason to think they can be a good team.