Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Also I don't see as big a downside as others because of the contract.

Frankly, cap space isn't that important for us right now and it won't be for a few years at least. We can't draw expensive free agents and the only guy we've already got worth giving a big deal to is John Wall.

The downside is that if he's constantly injured the team would need a starting center and have 13 million tied up every year that they can't use to sign one. The contract number matters most if Nene wears a suit more often than a Wizards uniform.

John Wall isn't worth a big deal yet. Luckily he's not up for a new deal until 2014-2015.

What about Andre Batche? is he still a wiz?

What I read leading up to the deadline, was that the Wiz were looking to trade Blatche but couldn't find a single team that wanted him--at any price. However, they just mentioned on the radio of rumors that they plan on moving him in the offseason for a draft pick. The former sounds more likely to me but who knows.

Anyway, I've been giving this trade a lot of thought since it went down. The return is obviously not what you envision when you think of potential deals, and Nene's contract is obviously troublesome. That said, I'm pro this trade. I've been saying, for YEARS now, that many Wizards fans don't take into account off-the-court and personality stuff when looking at the team. This is the (almost) completion of a culture change. A culture change that has been needed since Gilbert took a **** in somebody's shoes.

I strongly believe that Gilbert (and to a lesser extent, D Steezy), ruined Blatche, NY and Javale. On other teams, youngsters acting like idiots and clowns are put in their place by the vets, the leaders. The opposite was true here. Here, clown behavior was the way to be. It was the culture. Gilbert lead that charge. Gilbert also worked his ass off (we all know the stories of him shooting jumpers at 3 in the morning), but that's not what got the attention. His clown schitck did, and that's what Blatche, NY and Javale emulated.

This trade is classic addition by subtraction. Since the gun incident, we've been slowly gutting this team and starting over. Starting with D Steezy and ending with Gilbert (thank God before he spent much time around Wall), we've been slowly erasing that era from our memories. I think we hoped that Blatche, NY and McGee were young enough that they would still grow. Not just as players but as human beings. We hoped that they would mature past the clown culture that had been in place here. Unfortunately, that has very clearly not been the case and at this point there was no reason to think it ever will be.

So we've gotten rid of two of the three. There is still one more to go. His time is coming. In the mean time, his role and status has been so reduced, he's almost a tragic figure at this point. But **** him, he can't get out of town fast enough.

On the flip side, we're bringing in a hard working, well respected veteran that takes no **** from anyone. He's a great presence to have rub off on Booker, Seraphin, Vesely and Co. His contract is a major eh, and his injury history is a huge area of concern. but he's still a good player. He's still someone who will help. And he's probably the most legit, non-retarded big man that we've had since arguably Wes (Haywood before he left maybe, don't remember the 80's, and Kevin Duckworth and Ike Austin definitely not).

A couple of other potential options going forward:,

1) Nene's desirability to contenders. If we got Jordan Crawford and a 1st for Kirk Hinrich, imagine what we could get for Nene. Just a thought.

2) Does anyone have a clear answer about the rules of the amnesty? I've heard different things from different people. One thing I've heard is that you can ONLY use it for players that were on your team when the new CBA was ratified. If that's the case, then obviously that's not an option for Nene. However, that it's a one time thing but you can use it however and on whomever you want. If that's the case, then we can go that route with Nene (trade Blatche for a pick, buyout 'Shard, amnesty Nene). Would really love to know this. Searching on google isn't helping much.

So the Wizards *didn't* get a first round pick?!

No its the hornets 2nd round pick basically late 1st. Not sure if we still have our 2nd round pick or not but if so should be back to back picks beginning of round 2. You could package those to move into the 1st round.

Maybe he takes all the booing to heart and it lights a fire under his ass this summer in combination with a new coach and atleast makes himself tradeable next year. If he would just play hard he has a very good skillset but his confidence is gone.

Knowing EG he will trade our lottery pick to dump Blatche for a decent vet.

From reports, it seems to be breaking him. He's gotten spooked by the spectre of the fan's ire. Once that happens, it is really tough for an athlete to recover. More than anyone and for that reason alone he needed a new setting.

The downside is that if he's constantly injured the team would need a starting center and have 13 million tied up every year that they can't use to sign one. The contract number matters most if Nene wears a suit more often than a Wizards uniform.

John Wall isn't worth a big deal yet. Luckily he's not up for a new deal until 2014-2015.

True. But I think you can realistically expect about 70 games a season from Nene.

I like the deal because we got our long term center from it and that's a huge weight off my mind. I think Nene is better now than Javale could have ever become for us. He needed a change of scenery, probably wasn't going to come back, and we were able to replace him with a quality starting option. That's what I wanted from a Javale deal and I feel like we accomplished it. Expecting more felt unrealistic.

I didn't like NY and figured he was definitely gone this summer anyway. Losing him is whatever. Keeps him from breathing down Crawford's neck and probably gets Mason and Mack on the court who are better for the team overall. We had too many guards and they took minutes away from Vesely and the bigs. Now we don't have to figure out how to get NY 25+ MPG and we don't have him jacking shots any more. I think he's a clear addition by subtraction case.

Losing Turiaf wasn't a big deal since he wasn't playing. Gaining Brian Cook and the second rounder is meh, probably amount to nothing by next season.

What we lose this season going from JaVale to Nene is durability, above the rim defense, rebounding (especially on the offensive glass) and maybe a little bit of finishing power. What we gain is a much better inside scorer, better post and team defense, better passing, better free throw shooting, and quality mid range shooting from the center spot. It also frees us to take an Anthony Davis type at PF and not worry about low post scoring because we've got an elite inside shooter now. Underrated is the fact that Nene runs the floor well. The Nuggets are one of the paciest teams in the league and he's always thrived in that style of play.

I think Vesely actually gives us a little flexibility in the front court in the absence of JaVale. He can run the floor, develop into a pick and roll finisher, and play above the rim and has the kind of length and coordination to develop into a plus shot blocker--maybe not as good as JaVale, but good enough. I think Singleton and Booker are also quality shot blockers, and Wall is freakishly good. We'll remain a top tier shot blocking team without JaVale, so I'm not so worried about our ability to protect the rim without him.

I think we could drop Blatche and Lewis, add Anthony Davis and Brad Beal in this year's draft and start to look like a real basketball team.

I'm happy with the deal. Gambling that Nene will be healthy throughout his deal is a lot more palatable than gambling on finding a decent starting center in the offseason, or worse, gambling that McGee would ever grow into the kind of player that could justify 14 million a year long term.

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 08:26 PM ----------

I'm watching the Baylor and Kentucky games. Probably learn more about our future from that game than the New Orleans game.

I the only one who sees (or thinks he sees i guess) the whole clown culture, culture change angle?

Idk, I've always thought that the make up of a team (culture, personality, relationships, etc) are just as important as the physical side of things. This isn't NBA2K12. Players aren't computer models.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Javale and NY for Nene!? Ok, im done with the wizards this year. We could have let them both walk and used that money for something that wont be injured like every other injury prone player that has come to washington ever. If Ernie is still here come draft time, im not sure how much longer i can take this. Ted has lost all my confidence in him with the trade. Its like the 5th pick for Foye and Miller all over again. ****ing wizards man.

I have the game on...but haven't been paying attention. Just looked at the box score.....is wall shooting the ball well or have they all been dunks?

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

Javale and NY for Nene!? Ok' date=' im done with the wizards this year. We could have let them both walk and used that money for something that wont be injured like every other injury prone player that has come to washington ever. If Ernie is still here come draft time, im not sure how much longer i can take this. Ted has lost all my confidence in him with the trade. Its like the 5th pick for Foye and Miller all over again. ****ing wizards man.[/quote']

trade two guys who weren't going to get re-signed for a top 5 center...yeah that sucks

I want to know who you all think we would get with all this cap space that you speak of? Let them walk to get cap space for who???????

not only is there no one out there this offseason...what makes you think they would want to come here?

I have the game on...but haven't been paying attention. Just looked at the box score.....is wall shooting the ball well or have they all been dunks?

trade two guys who weren't going to get re-signed for a top 5 center...yeah that sucks

I want to know who you all think we would get with all this cap space that you speak of? Let them walk to get cap space for who???????

not only is there no one out there this offseason...what makes you think they would want to come here?

Everything is inside for Wall, NO has no prayer of keeping from the basket and he doing a great job exploiting it.

Everything is inside for Wall, NO has no prayer of keeping from the basket and he doing a great job exploiting it.

I'm fine with it either way....him getting to the rim efficiently is just as good as jump shooting efficiently...I just wondered if he was hitting the Js tonight....that would be promising for the future. He absolutely needs to grab Jan and visit a shooting coach in the summer

I'm fine with it either way....him getting to the rim efficiently is just as good as jump shooting efficiently...I just wondered if he was hitting the Js tonight....that would be promising for the future. He absolutely needs to grab Jan and visit a shooting coach in the summer

I think the only jumper Wall attempted was late in the shot clock, I like the fact that he's taking what the defense is giving him tonight, he's been clean tonight. He's making plays and protecting the ball, something he's been doing alot better the last 10 games or so.

Vesely's offense is just ugly. He got the ball with about 6 seconds on the shot clock close to the free throw line, and ended up shooting an airball after some pretty bad post moves.

Blatche with the wide open airball.

When Nene & Cook get here, Blatche better not see any minutes.

You know better. Blatche was ahead of Seraphin when McGee was here.

I am so happy Wittman doesn't have the option of playing young, Crawford, and wall at the same time.

Top 5 center?

But yes, you bring up a valid point. No one wants to come here even if there were some FA available this offseason, so we would be screwed either way.

This game is the exact opposite of a typical 4th quarter for the wizards. We are hitting shots and pulling away.

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Wall is trying to get that turnover ratio back to normal in the closing minutes.

This game is the exact opposite of a typical 4th quarter for the wizards. We are hitting shots and pulling away.

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Wall is trying to get that turnover ratio back to normal in the closing minutes.

I'll take the blame for those turnovers, they started right after I credited him for protecting the ball.