Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The Wizards play the Magic on Friday.  Orlando May have multiple suspensions from last night’s brawl.  I guess the league will stagger them?

Did they already announce the suspensions? How many?

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

What’s the deal with Rui?  What kind of contract would you expect he gets?  He’s such a tease.

I expect the Wiz to trade him or let him walk this off-season. He could get $12-15 million per depending on how he finishes this season. I almost can' believe I'm typing that. Sports money is ridiculous. 

Letting Rui walk feels like a bad idea.  He's in his 3rd season, he's exactly the kinda role player we see play a significant piece in some other championship team.

I don't know if he'll be a star or an all-star, he could, but he's not going to be able to Otto Porter us into a max deal right now, so we can afford to see what happens. So if he keeps up what he's doing now, we should try to find a way to keep him.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Letting Rui walk feels like a bad idea.  He's in his 3rd season, he's exactly the kinda role player we see play a significant piece in some other championship team.

I don't know if he'll be a star or an all-star, he could, but he's not going to be able to Otto Porter us into a max deal right now, so we can afford to see what happens. So if he keeps up what he's doing now, we should try to find a way to keep him.

It's his 4th season already. I think there are a couple of issues at play. One is that he's missed a ton of games. The other is the Wiz salary situation. They can't afford to keep Kuz and Rui or if they traded Kuz and Barton for say John Collins, they wouldn't be able to afford Rui. I'm basing this on KP either opting in or signing a long term contract with the Wiz. If KP opts out or Beal asks to go, different story. 

Plus, Deni will be up for an extension and the Gaff extension kicks in. This is the problem with trying to build around a SM and not hitting on draft picks. 

The fact that Rui was offered up for Jae Crowder is telling. 

Edited by Hersh

31 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The fact that the other team said no is telling as well.  I said this last year, that while it’s good everyone is being positive about mental health, Rui falling apart so early in his career was a massive red flag.  Whatever happened was so bad that he couldn’t he couldn’t play after months of being back with the team.  We never got a clear explanation for that.  Losing weight was said, but that’s never stopped a basketball player from playing basketball.  We got guys coming into the league that look like stick figures and get bullied all over the floor, but they’re still playing.  Rui’s return was treated like a guy coming back from a terrible groin injury that just would heal right.  That was sure to worry GMs.  Hard to sign a guy to a large contract when you’re not 100% sure that he isn’t going to burn out again.  Teams are going to be hesitant to trade reliable good role players for him.

he’s still going to get his money in free agency though, so he’ll be just fine.  The Wizards however will end up with nothing from yet another draft pick.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

It's his 4th season already.

Thanks for correction, was thinking full seasons when double checking, misread it.

He still hasnt hit his prime, that's my concern.  If we gonna consider keeping Dani because he's turning into an elite defender despite still being an inconsistent scorer at best, I have serious reservations about jus letting Rui leave.  We need both of them to pan out, Rui isn't going to bend us over while we wait to see if he can be a star, we seeing something lately at least.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I think there are a couple of issues at play. One is that he's missed a ton of games. The other is the Wiz salary situation. They can't afford to keep Kuz and Rui or if they traded Kuz and Barton for say John Collins, they wouldn't be able to afford Rui. I'm basing this on KP either opting in or signing a long term contract with the Wiz. If KP opts out or Beal asks to go, different story. 

I'm gonna be sick if we trade Kuz to get Collins jus so we can say we didn't let him walk for nothing, and what you jus mentioned is a perfect reason why.  Barton is our 3rd highest paid player and a UFA this offseason, let him walk to help with this conversation, I'm not seeing him worth what he's getting right now.

SmartSelect_20221231_002935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eca7cd85e7c8d8e7f58f0403229c7844.jpg

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Plus, Deni will be up for an extension and the Gaff extension kicks in. This is the problem with trying to build around a SM and not hitting on draft picks. 

@Destino is right that no one wanting Rui is a very bad sign.  That should help is in contract negotiations so we don't overpay him given his likely low demand on open market.  We jus don't have enough young shooters with high ceilings to let walk like that to not try to find a way to make it work if this play continues, very bad feeling letting him walk.

Trading Beal is such a pipe dream that I get not having that in the conversation.  In a hypothetical where we trade him for something that involves Westbrook's expiring contract, keeping Rui should be a no brainer. 

I'm not nervous about Dani's contract at all right now, letting Morris and Wright walk should handle whatever Dani asks for in reality he never develops a shot good enough to ask for some egregious contract.  

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Looked at the halftime score and saw them up 18.  Didn’t realize Milwaukee’s big 3 were all hungover and sitting out tonight.

They back to winning games they should. And no coincidence it overlapping with getting back many players healthy in the rotation.

Beating Bucks without Gannis fulls gold, but they could've lost, and didn't, so credit where credit is due.

Imma rant here but we shouldn't even think of dealing Kuzma and look to extend him. I don't know why he would want to leave, and even if he does leave it shows you I was right about players not wanting to play for a team like DC. And you thought Ted would change that, right? It's a larger than Ted thing. The Wizards are not a FA destination. They've had like 3 big FA come sign here. Pierce, Gilbert and Jordan. Sad.

In a league dangerously dependent on star power, the Wizards can't sign any stars.

Will you still tell me the NBA is a fair and balanced league?

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Imma rant here but we shouldn't even think of dealing Kuzma and look to extend him. I don't know why he would want to leave, and even if he does leave it shows you I was right about players not wanting to play for a team like DC. And you thought Ted would change that, right? It's a larger than Ted thing. The Wizards are not a FA destination. They've had like 3 big FA come sign here. Pierce, Gilbert and Jordan. Sad.

In a league dangerously dependent on star power, the Wizards can't sign any stars.

Which is why the Wiz need to tank for stars. 

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

What was the proposed trade?

Rui and other assets for Crowder is as much as we know. Don't know what other assets or if there were other players involved. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Because they can't afford to.  They won't have any luxury tax room.  Ted isn't going into the tax LOL.  Extending Kuz means no Rui, Deni, Kispert, etc.  Signing Beal to that contract was so stupid.  They should trade Beal the first chance they get.

This winning streak has been an absolute disaster for the future of the team.  Great, we'll get another pick in the 10-14 range.  Even if we don't get a top 3 pick, getting a highish pick means the world.  Just look at last year.  Picks 5-8 were Mathurin, Ivey, Sharpe, and Daniels.  Everyone of those cats are going to be big time players in the NBA.  Instead, we got the 10th pick and took Johnny Davis.  Even Tommy and this cheap organization wasn't going to take Davis over Mathurin, Ivey, Sharpe, and Daniels.