Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@TryTheBeal!Why would you want Whiteside outside of desperation that he can turn it around?  He's a basically a younger version of a similar problem we're having with Gortat, his regression is killing the team but his contract is making it impossible for Miami to get rid of.

We get a near-elite defender and rebounder in the paint, a terrific option at the stretch 4/5 in Olynyk and we get a solid prospect to play behind KOJ as he moves into the SF starting spot.

Basically, we get younger/faster/more athletic across the entire frontcourt.  

18 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We get a near-elite defender and rebounder in the paint, a terrific option at the stretch 4/5 in Olynyk and we get a solid prospect to play behind KOJ as he moves into the SF starting spot.

Basically, we get younger/faster/more athletic across the entire frontcourt.  

Whiteshde is not near-elite anymore, he's an anchor weighing down that entire franchise, we'd be doing them a favor taking that contract from them.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Whiteshde is not near-elite anymore, he's an anchor weighing down that entire franchise, we'd be doing them a favor taking that contract from them.

Would you care to dispute any of my other points?  Cause playing semantics regarding the term “near-elite” ain’t too convincing.

Also, have you watched Gortat play recently?!?

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Would you care to dispute any of my other points?  Cause playing semantics regarding the term “near-elite” ain’t too convincing.

Also, have you watched Gortat play recently?!?

You really didn't just ask if I watch the Wizards play, did you?

Have you watched Whiteside play recently?  Do you see how Sin is talking about it?  This isn't semantics, he's garbage, it won't fix our problem even if the other two will help our team.  Switching Gortat for Whiteside is a horrible idea, it negates the benefit of getting Gortat's contract off the books.

Just because I'm pointing out holes in your ideas doesn't mean I'm trying to stop you from fixing the problem or that this isn't a problem, why are you confusing the two when when you and have been having this discussion about Gortat's regression for years now?  Did changing my avatar all the sudden make you forget I'm the same person?  Hello, its me dude, I've been here for years, same as you.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You really didn't just ask if I watch the Wizards play, did you?

Have you watched Whiteside play recently?  Do you see how Sin is talking about it?  This isn't semantics, he's garbage, it won't fix our problem even if the other two will help our team.  Switching Gortat for Whiteside is a horrible idea, it negates the benefit of getting Gortat's contract off the books.

Just because I'm pointing out holes in your ideas doesn't mean I'm trying to stop you from fixing the problem or that this isn't a problem, why are you confusing the two when when you and have been having this discussion about Gortat's regression for years now?  Did changing my avatar all the sudden make you forget I'm the same person?  Hello, its me dude, I've been here for years, same as you.

But, but, but...it does make us absolutely, quantifiably better defensively and offensively and younger and more athletic across the breadth of our frontcourt.

Do you dispute this assertion?

Edit:  And don’t drag poor @Mr. Sinister into this.  He’s got enough to deal with right now.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

But, but, but...it does make us absolutely, quantifiably better defensively and offensively and younger and more athletic across the breadth of our frontcourt.

Do you dispute this assertion?

No, I don't dispute that, but I'm telling you switching Gortat for Whiteside is just not worth that.  Gortat's contract is over after next season (if he doesn't retire), Whiteside is making almost double what Gortat is making (this will make our cap situation even worse)

Edited by Renegade7

Yeah, I think per a dollar even next year Gortat might be the better player.  Whiteside makes double what Gortat does next year, and then with Whiteside, you still have another year at $25 million + on it.  Gortat's contract is getting to the point where you might actually find somebody that somebody might take it as part of a 3 way deal to make salaries match for a team that is tanking next year.  You might get in a situation this offseason or before the next trade deadline where you get a tanking team trading a current player for a pick and they need to balance salaries so the Wizards can get involved and throw in Gortat for the rights to some Euro that was taken in the 2nd round that almost certainly is never going to play in the NBA.

The taking team gets a pick and Gortat on the last year of his contract, a contender gets a good player from that tanking team, and the Wizards essentially get nothing (the rights to a worthless player).  Maybe the Wiz would have to throw in a 2nd round pick to the tanking team.

Edited by PeterMP

The Gortat contract is not an awful contract for a backup center, especially with one year left on it.  Baynes made $6 million this year in Boston.  The Sixers paid $11 million to Amir Johnson to be their backup C.

It is a little more than you'd like to pay, but it isn't awful.  The problem is instead of playing 5-10 minutes a game, Gortat plays 28.  Even if you could keep him under 20 minutes, it would be a big difference.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No, I don't dispute that, but I'm telling you switching Gortat for Whiteside is just not worth that.  Gortat's contract is over after next season (if he doesn't retire), Whiteside is making almost double what Gortat is making (this will make our cap situation even worse)

Otto’s contact and production are eerily similar to Whiteside’s.  So think of it as flipping Gortat for Olynyk/Winslow.

It would vastly improve our roster and vastly degrade the Heat...for their “process”.

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Otto’s contact and production are eerily similar to Whiteside’s.  So think of it as flipping Gortat for Olynyk/Winslow.

It would vastly improve our roster and vastly degrade the Heat...for their “process”.

No.. just no.  You are wrong trying to compare Whiteside's stats to Gortat versus his actual play on the court.  A straight up trade of Otto for Whiteside we lose, Gortat for Olynyk/Winslow would never happen.  Maimi would only agree to that so they could Otto, they'd win that trade hands down.  Not worth it.

We shouldn't trade Otto at all...

As for whiteside, I was all in on him 2 years ago. But the fact that Dragic can't run a lethal pick and roll with him makes me cautious. Why is that? Dragic is imo the closest thing to a poor mans wall in the league. I'd be hesitant, but am willing to consider this past year an anomaly. 

Personally i think winslow destroys the spacing as well as whiteside's effectiveness. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive