Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Just looked it up.  If we win and Miami loses we finish ahead of them.  If we win and Milwaukee loses, then we finish ahead of them too.

We're playing Orlando and they're playing Philly and Toronto respectively.  The sixth seed is in play.

I could see Milwaukee losing. They play at Philly and Philly has a 15 game win streak going. They'll play hard to have a hot streak going into the playoffs. MIami is at home against a Toronto team that already has the 1 seed locked up and will rest guys.

What happens if all three of us finish at 44 wins? Would it go Miami 6, us 7, Milwaukee 8? Or would we be six?

#WeWantBoston

23 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

We want the seven seed. We'll take the eight. I want no parts of the sixth seed...
There's a big difference between the top half of that bracket and the lower one.

I don't know man, I think I would rather play Philly than Toronto.  Toronto is going to be a battle, whereas Philly hasn't proven themselves on the playoff stage yet.  That's not to say that it'll end up being too big for them, we just don't know how they'll handle it yet.

I'm not scared of any of the current top three seeds though.  At this point I'm just relieved that we're not getting Cleveland.

The Basketball Gods smiled on us and let us avoid Cleveland until a potential ECF match up (assuming Toronto and Boston don't both choke like dogs in the first round).  And the truth is we were undeserving of such good fortune because of the half-assed season we just survived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

#WeWantBoston

I don't know man, I think I would rather play Philly than Toronto.  Toronto is going to be a battle, whereas Philly hasn't proven themselves on the playoff stage yet.  That's not to say that it'll end up being too big for them, we just don't know how they'll handle it yet.

I'm not scared of any of the current top three seeds though.  At this point I'm just relieved that we're not getting Cleveland.

The Basketball Gods smiled on us and let us avoid Cleveland until a potential ECF match up (assuming Toronto and Boston don't both choke like dogs in the first round).  And the truth is we were undeserving of such good fortune because of the half-assed season we just survived.

You say that like Toronto has lol. They make the playoffs every year only to get embarrassed. I dont expect that to change. But I do agree I would rather Philly than Toronto. Just because Toronto has a better roster, but I still expect John Wall, Brad and Otto to make the Raptors their **** for a full 4 games this off season. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You say that like Toronto has lol. They make the playoffs every year only to get embarrassed. I dont expect that to change. But I do agree I would rather Philly than Toronto. Just because Toronto has a better roster, but I still expect John Wall, Brad and Otto to make the Raptors their **** for a full 4 games this off season. 

Toronto is playoff tested man, be real.

Philly is gonna be food without Embiid.

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

#WeWantBoston

You're probably right... I just know that Toronto has shown repeatedly that they're not mentally tough. Granted, they're not the same team from 2015, but neither are the Wizards.

Lowry quitting that game against the Wizards and then two years later, DeRozan basically worshiping LeBron after a sweep... That doesn't sit well with me.

(They'll probably end us in 6 though.)

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Toronto is playoff tested man, be real.

Philly is gonna be food without Embiid.

Very strong possibility my judgment is clouded by my disdain for Lowery. 

Forgot Embiid was down, actually. That changes alot. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Well this group has won three playoff series and advanced to the ECF.  I don't believe in them against the Cavs at all, but we're not the Cavs.  I think we can beat them but it won't be easy.  Philly is probably a softer first round match up.

Only three of those wins came against winning teams.  They went on a tear against the softest post-break schedule in the league, a span in which they only won four games against winning teams, and only two of those opponents will end up making the playoffs.  In the meantime, they lost all of their games against EC playoff teams aside from Cleveland.  On the year, their record against EC playoff teams is just 10-16.

1-3 vs Boston

1-3 vs Toronto

2-2 vs Cleveland

1-2 vs Indy

2-2 vs us

2-2 vs Miami

1-2 vs Milwaukee (so far).

It's the same situation as Boston when they started the year 16-2 against one of the league's softest schedules.  They're being overrated.  I think they're going to get taught a lesson in the first round.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's the same situation as Boston when they started the year 16-2 against one of the league's softest schedules.  They're being overrated.  I think they're going to get taught a lesson in the first round.

That's not saying much.  Which teams could lose their two best players and get out of the first round?  Wisards would be helpless with Wall and Beal.  Even golden state would have a hard time managing that, and they'd still have two all stars.  Boston over achieved, despite their injuries, but they're crippled now and weaknesses are harder to hide in the playoffs playoffs.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the Wizards had an easy first half schedule too.  

Next year Boston is going to destroy the eastern conference unless Lebron builds another super team or they suffer similar injuries.  

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

That's not saying much.  Which teams could lose their two best players and get out of the first round?  Even golden state would have a hard time managing that, and they'd still have two all stars.  Boston over achieved.

Next year they're going to destroy the eastern conference unless Lebron builds another super team or they suffer similar injuries.  

Boston is going to absolutely dominate us for the reminder of our window unless we find a way to fix the on court issues we all see every game. And since its not coming from coaching, the players, the GM or ownership.....

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Boston is going to absolutely dominate us for the reminder of our window unless we find a way to fix the on court issues we all see every game. And since its not coming from coaching, the players, the GM or ownership.....

Philly is only going to get better too, and the Bucks might eventually find some shooters and an offense that fits.  Wizards should be in panic mode this offseason, but they aren't going to do ****.  Ernie has a team that will get him to the playoffs and a coach to take the blame for underachievement.  I think Gortat is traded, replaced by a garbage big, and they draft a front court player that can't dribble or shoot.  That's the Ernie way.  

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

Philly is only going to get better too, and the Bucks might eventually find some shooters and an offense that fits.  Wizards should be in panic mode this offseason, but they aren't going to do ****.  Ernie has a team that will get him to the playoffs and a coach to take the blame for underachievement.  I think Gortat is traded, replaced by a garbage big, and they draft a front court player that can't dribble or shoot.  That's the Ernie way.  

I agree with everything you said, unfortunately. 

Only exception being I think you can almost literally find anyone 6'10 and above that can come in and make a bigger impact than Gortat at this point. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Destino said:

That's not saying much.  Which teams could lose their two best players and get out of the first round?  Wisards would be helpless with Wall and Beal.  Even golden state would have a hard time managing that, and they'd still have two all stars.  Boston over achieved, despite their injuries, but they're crippled now and weaknesses are harder to hide in the playoffs playoffs.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the Wizards had an easy first half schedule too.  

Next year Boston is going to destroy the eastern conference unless Lebron builds another super team or they suffer similar injuries.  

Their weaknesses were always going to rear their head in the playoffs, Kyrie Irving is their only good scorer and he's a one dimensional player.

And for someone who thinks John Wall is injury prone, you seem to have a lot of faith in Kyrie Irving's ability to stay healthy.

There is also no telling what kind of player Gordon Hayward will be when he gets back.  Nor was he particularly special before he got hurt.  He was like a slightly lesser version of Otto.

Boston has the same issues going into next season that they had this year.  Their big money players aren't on the same championship window as their young draft picks, their one true All Star caliber player is injury prone, and they lack the top end talent to hang with the East teams that are led by transcendent players in a playoff series.  Their regular season floor is very high but their playoff ceiling is limited.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Destino said:

Philly is only going to get better if Embiid can stay healthy.  He's already the third best player in the conference when he is, but I have serious doubts about his ability to stay on the court and have a long career.  The guy is a massive klutz.  Being 7'3 and that top heavy AND that clumsy plus he has a history of serious leg and back injuries.  If he were a Wizards player we would be running for the hills on him.

I'm also not sure that Ben Simmons's ceiling is as high as I'd hoped going into this year.  His physical tools are awesome and he has a great bball IQ and he is very creative.  But I think he's going to get figured out pretty quickly if he doesn't evolve.  I can't remember the last time a superstar perimeter player went an entire season only making two shots outside 17 feet, and with no three ball.  Their ceiling looks a lot less high if he ends up being a lot closer to DeMar DeRozan than LeBron and Embiid battles significant injuries every year.

Milwaukee is fundamentally sound, and out of every young blue chipper in the league except Anthony Davis, I'd bet most heavily on Giannis to be a multiple MVP at some point in his career.  They got him on a bargain deal too.  But they still need to find that second guy before they can really take off.

And for someone who thinks John Wall is injury prone, you seem to have a lot of faith in Kyrie Irving's ability to stay healthy.

I don't think Wall is injury prone, I know he has had several knee issues and plays through persistent knee tendonitis.  Kyrie is more injury prone, but there's no reason to think he's a lock to miss the playoffs again.  He might.  He might not.   

52 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Their weaknesses were always going to rear their head in the playoffs, Kyrie Irving is their only good scorer and he's a one dimensional player.

There is also no telling what kind of player Gordon Hayward will be when he gets back.  Nor was he particularly special before he got hurt.  He was like a slightly lesser version of Otto.

Have you ever actually watched Gordon Hayward play?  Otto and Hayward aren't similar players. 

Hayward isn't a superstar but the Celtics would be much better offensively, and much deeper, if he and Kyrie were playing.  That's not exactly a hot take. 

Boston has the same issues going into next season that they had this year.  Their big money players aren't on the same championship window as their young draft picks, their one true All Star caliber player is injury prone, and they lack the top end talent to hang with the East teams that are led by transcendent players in a playoff series.  Their regular season floor is very high but their playoff ceiling is limited.

I don't think they'll win a title.  Wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the finals however, unless Lebron builds another super team.