Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think he realizes he's tipping how low his expectations for the bench are when he harps on them like that.

It's not limited to the bench, he's been complaining about the starters not moving the ball too.  He's right.  The Wizards aren't going to be consistently good until they ditch the old school offense and keep the entire team involved and Buck knows it.  He just can't call out the coach directly, so he cheers for ball movement and marvels anytime it actually happens. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

There are plenty. Oubre is nice, but he is far from unmoveable

It really depends on how serious the team is about going further than they have

I'm still thinking that he might make Otto expendable.  All depends on how good he gets. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I'm still thinking that he might make Otto expendable.  All depends on how good he gets. 

i'm not sure I want to deal Otto

he better bring back a big fish if he does go.  as much as I would like DeAndre Jordan, i'm not trading Otto for someone who can be hacked in the 4th

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i'm not sure I want to deal Otto

he better bring back a big fish if he does go.  as much as I would like DeAndre Jordan, i'm not trading Otto for someone who can be hacked in the 4th

I'd prefer we spent less money at center, not more by adding DJ.  We do not a 30 year old max contract center that can't play in the 4th quarter.  I'd rather get a good enough center.  Portland got Nurkic for a song and instantly upgraded their team.  We need a move like that.  Something that brings us a younger center that can move his feet a play a little bit on both ends.  

... and to get rid of Gortat and/or Mahinmi.  

13 hours ago, Destino said:

I'd prefer we spent less money at center, not more by adding DJ.  We do not a 30 year old max contract center that can't play in the 4th quarter.  I'd rather get a good enough center.  Portland got Nurkic for a song and instantly upgraded their team.  We need a move like that.  Something that brings us a younger center that can move his feet a play a little bit on both ends.  

... and to get rid of Gortat and/or Mahinmi.  

I wonder if the Hornets would entertain talk of moving Cody Zeller, now that Kaminsky is getting the bulk of the run there?

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think I'd take Noel over Jordan. But I'm not giving up Oubre for either. I'd be willing to part with a 1st for Noel.

Basically where im at. But if im trading a pick its for Boogie. We need someone to protect us from Durant after all the **** we been talking here in DC. 

If we're going to make a move, I'd rather it be so we can get Gortat's contract off the roster.  Cousins is a free agent, we shouldn't be trying to mortgage our future when we could just sign our future center in this coming offseason.  But that's just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If we're going to make a move, I'd rather it be so we can get Gortat's contract off the roster.  Cousins is a free agent, we shouldn't be trying to mortgage our future when we could just sign our future center in this coming offseason.  But that's just my opinion.

Gortat's contract isnt that bad

Mahinmi's the one that will stop us from doing business or including our next 3 first round picks just to get him off the roster

Just now, StillUnknown said:

Gortat's contract isnt that bad

Mahinmi's the one that will stop us from doing business or including our next 3 first round picks just to get him off the roster

Ya, but it's either you get rid of Gortat because of his decline or you get rid of both because of the size of the contracts.  Think I'm more concerned about the extra year on Mahinmi's (could be having this same convo we're having with Gortat then), but they are pretty close to each other next year.  Mahinmi has been playing better lately on defense, and if I had a choice between who to keep as a backup to Cousins, I don't want the turnstile.  And like you said, it'll be harder to get rid of Mahinmi, I don't think that situation is as dire as it was at the start of this season.

We can't trade our pick unless it transforms this team.  We desperately need youth on the bench, if only to have some athleticism that does not cost a fortune.  That pick could very well be a competent inexpensive center, which would free up 10 million to spend elsewhere.  It's not a likely outcome, because Ernie, but it could be.  Wizards moves this season need to be with the idea that this is not our year.  We have to be honest and accept that we are too far behind Boston and Cleveland to push all our chips in right now.  No where near competing with Golden State.  The idea has to be to position ourselves for future seasons.  

Try to clear some salary.  Maybe tell Wall to become really good friends with Lebron.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Destino said:

Try to clear some salary.  Maybe tell Wall to become really good friends with Lebron.  

You just made me throw up in my mouth a little with that.  Also to your earlier point, if we give up on trying to get Cousins here, then I guess we're basically accepting NBA purgatory.  Gimmie a minute while I let that sink in, because I don't like getting rid of our draft picks either, but damn.

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

They basically paid to get rid of a young center with an offensive game. This is the Portland deal all over again. Ernie dropped the ball here. 

He's a one-trick pony...does NOTHING other than occasionally put the ball in the hoop.  Pretty much a more souped-up Lee Nailon.  Unless he fixes his defensive awareness and ability to rebound, he might be closer to being a journeyman or ballin' overseas than folks may realize.