Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ulis is putting Sato to work.  This is a bad match up.

Sato adjusted and shut that **** down.

Check out Sato assists to turnovers since Wall went out: 31 assists 1 turnover 

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Mahinmi giving you all he's got!

Mahinmi played his ass off.  He might be putting some thing together because he's been much better recently.  

• Like 5

Kara Lawson was asked after the game about bench production once Wall returned.  She expressed her doubts that they could continue as they are because Wall would eat up so many minutes.  I'd like to see Wall play less minutes during the regular season when he returns.  Not saying he isn't the man, what I'm saying is this bench can carry us more than we thought and Wall's knees could use less mileage.  I hope Brooks has recognizes this and thinks long term.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

John's 27, not 37.  He's a prize hoss, you have to ride him.  He should be getting 34-36 minutes a night.

He also has a history of knee injuries, plays at a higher weight than most guards, and prefers to fling himself into bigs at full speed.  No shame in cutting his minutes a bit, where possible. 

10 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Kieff really hates the Suns and threw up a 21 / 6 / 2 to prove it.

The bench comes through again and did Mahinmi really almost come up with a double double?  Holy ****!

His connection to the suns completely escaped my mind.  In my defense, I was trying to watch the Thursday night football game at the same time, and giant named Dragan Bender running around in a mask was giving me Skyrim flashbacks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Kieff really hates the Suns and threw up a 21 / 6 / 2 to prove it.

The bench comes through again and did Mahinmi really almost come up with a double double?  Holy ****!

Kieff was great last night.  He carried Otto's weight.  You could tell very early on in the game that he was looking to put up numbers.  Tried a couple of nonsense shots and bricked a few threes early on, but he settled into a groove and couldn't miss.  Kept posting up and calling for the ball.

Otto was the opposite.  After he missed a couple of early shots, he checked out.  Spent the rest of the game hiding or going through the motions until the final minutes.  I can now tell by his body language whether Otto is going to be into a game or not.  He literally looks sleepy when he's not.

Otto is definitely a late bloomer and he's still kind of a kid.  He's got that small town southern sweet demeanor where he will just go with the flow, and he's got zero ego.  Those are positive personality traits.  But I just wish he was hungrier and more proactive.  He's gotten paid, now he needs to get a grown man diet/nutritionist and improve his strength and conditioning so he can handle the season better.  The game comes so easily to him, he could be one of the best players in the league if he could just build his body up.

John and Brad have shielded Otto from having to grow up quick as a player.  But now it's time.

• Like 2

I don't think Otto's disappearance is due to lack of physical ability. Although if he could spend less time covering for Marcin/Morris on the boards, it would certainly help. It's a mental thing. And that's ok. We paid him to be the third guy, and he's perfect in this role. We just need the role players to step up... And our starting 5 is killing us out there. 

I wanna give a shout out to Ian though. This dude really does put in the effort. You can tell he slowly rounding in to form after offseason surgery. Very slowly... But it's not for a lack of trying. 

If we can win with less playtime for Wall in the reg. season thats better for us and him in the long run. Yes his stats may suffer. But look at how his legs have died down the stretch every season. We need him to win in the playoffs. Not so much outside of it. 

30-31 MPG is what you play a fifth option dirty work big like Gortat who has to bang in the paint every night.  At least before he got old anyway.  34-36 MPG is star minutes for anyone who doesn't play on a team that gets to take 4th quarters off like the Warriors.  We don't need to reinvent the wheel with our 27 year old super star.  We need to lean on John and enjoy his prime years while we can.  Would it be nice to keep him from ever getting fatigued?  Sure.  Every team would love to rest their stars whenever they want.  But if you want to win 50+ and get a decent seed, I guarantee you that's not realistically compatible with resting John.

Are we sure Wall was slowing down in the playoffs due to lack of rest or Boston just playing better defense?  He was setting Atlanta on fire, and he was doing pretty well in the Boston series outside of game 6.  Is game 6 what we're referencing to in terms of being worried he's being worn out? 

don't think we need to overwork him in the regular season to survice, especially with the improved play of Sato and rest of the bench, but I don't think we need to preserve him like he's in his 30s and winding down.  He's 27 and playing on a max contract, just play him, that's his job.

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

30-31 MPG is what you play a fifth option dirty work big like Gortat who has to bang in the paint every night.  At least before he got old anyway.  34-36 MPG is star minutes for anyone who doesn't play on a team that gets to take 4th quarters off like the Warriors.  We don't need to reinvent the wheel with our 27 year old super star.  We need to lean on John and enjoy his prime years while we can.  Would it be nice to keep him from ever getting fatigued?  Sure.  Every team would love to rest their stars whenever they want.  But if you want to win 50+ and get a decent seed, I guarantee you that's not realistically compatible with resting John.

Yea I guess I agree with most of that. I will defer to you in the minutes thing as I dont know what you know. But my point remains that we can give him more rest. We dont need him to play the most minutes of all players again this season to get into the playoffs. And it would probably benefit us and his knees if we didn't do that. Case in point, look at the cliff Gortat fell off. He is pretty healthy and BAM. Minutes matter lol. I cant argue you with minutes, though. I guess im into theories at this point. 

Also define decent seed. We aint getting better than 3, and probably will end up at 4 or 5. 

42 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

but I don't think we need to preserve him like he's in his 30s and winding down.  He's 27 and playing on a max contract, just play him, that's his job.

No one is saying to Tim Duncan him. But there is credence to the idea that he had double knee surgery last season and they are swelling up on him now. Today. 

Also read this: http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-wizards/how-much-did-fatigue-john-wall-and-bradley-beal-play-role-how-wizards-season

Wall, Beal and Brooks said they got tired by end of the season and it played a part. Thats why they made it a mission to get in better shape this season. The rest will help. Thats not make believe 

EDIT: Spelling, grammar. You name it. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Also define decent seed. We aint getting better than 3, and probably will end up at 4 or 5. 

Unfortunately you're probably right.  We really needed to get the one seed this year.  Cleveland will get two or three so that means the only way to be sure to avoid them until the ECF was to get the one seed.  We needed to start strong and stay healthy for that to happen, but instead we played like crap for the first month and then John got hurt.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

No one is saying to Tim Duncan him. But there is credence to the idea that he had double knee surgery last season and they are swelling up on him now. Today. 

Also read this: http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-wizards/how-much-did-fatigue-john-wall-and-bradley-beal-play-role-how-wizards-season

Wall, Beal and Brooks said they got tired by end of the season and it played a part. Thats why they made it a mission to get in better shape this season. The rest will help. Thats not make believe 

EDIT: Spelling, grammar. You name it. 

I don't think its make-believe either, I'm just not sure what we're shooting for here. 

He's currently averaging 34.4 mpg (which is not even top 20), while he was doing 36.4 last year (which is definitely top 10).  We're already running bench mob, especially when we're up and think we can hold a lead deep into the 4th quarter or finish the game without him with a win.  I like that they admit to needing to be in better condition, its a worth-while goal to shot for, because everybody is tired in April, May, June, so what do you do to separate yourself? 

Right now, I wouldn't want to see him play less then he's doing right now, which seems to be what some of ya'll are looking for.  But that's just my opinion.

Like here's the current list, where should he be?:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/avgMinutes

Edited by Renegade7

Im not really shooting for anything to be honest. Just shooting the **** with you guys lol. 

Im probably getting ahead of myself cause I dont really have a number in mind. Im just saying we could play him less. And rely on his back up more. 

• Like 1

I definitely get the sense that Wall ran out of steam at the end of Game 7 in Boston. But what alternative is there? We aren't good enough to where we can regularly blow teams out and rest guys the entire 4th. You ride the horse while you can and figure it out later.