Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/09/05/nba ... re-saying/

Chris Sheridan : NBA Lockout "Settlement Is Coming

NEW YORK — Here’s the dirty little secret about the NBA lockout, despite what both sides — the owners and the players — would have you believe:

They are a lot closer to a settlement than most people realize.

I know this because I talk regularly with a bunch of important people who tell me important things, and I am going to explain why I believe a settlement will be reached that will not only save the season, but also enable the NBA to have an “all is forgiven” honeymoon period (similar to what the NFL just experienced following its labor settlement) in which the frenzy of free agents signings, trades, training camps and exhibition games will make everyone forget all of the doomsday talk they’ve been hearing all summer.

First, some background. If you only listened to union director Billy Hunter, as NBA playerswere doing in late August while Hunter was touring the country giving status updates to his locked-out membership, you’d think the sides are currently $8 billion apart in their stagnant negotiations. That is the party line from the union.

But it is not entirely true.

Yes, under the 10-year collective bargaining agreement the owners have proposed, the gap is indeed somewhere in the area of $7-8 billion range.

But if you look at the six-year deal the players have proposed, which includes $500 million less in annual revenue (than what they would have received under the old deal) over the six upcoming seasons, the simple math tells a different story:

Over those six years, the difference in proposed revenues that would go to the players adds up to $2.97 billion.

That is still a significant amount of money, but it is nowhere near as significant as what is being put out there publicly.

Moreover, if you look at years 1, 2 and 3 of the proposals, the sides are a total of $870 million apart. (The players are asking for $2.17 billion in salaries and benefits in 2011-12, $2.33 billion in ’12-13, and $2.42 billion in ’13-14. The owners are offering a flat $2 billion per year.)

Or to put it another way, in a business that brought in $4.2 billion in revenues last season, the sides are only $170 million apart for next season.

Does that seem like an insurmountable difference that would justify the cancellation of the season? No — especially given the fact that neither side has said it has put its “last and best” offer on the table.

NBPA VP tweets 'Looking like a season' deletes it

It's a very fragile thing, these labor negotiations. So all this seemingly positive talk and solid momentum towards a deal should be met with a very tepid response. Don't get too psyched because you might just be let own horribly when it all blows up.

But right now, as Ken Berger of CBSSports.com tweeted, it seems like both sides are interested in working earnestly towards a deal. Berger tweeted Wednesday after a five and a half hour bargaining sessions, "Full [billy] Hunter quote, when asked if enough time to reach deal: 'I think there is. I think there clearly is. There's more than enough time.'"

And then there's NBA Players Association vice president Roger Mason Jr. tweeting this:

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

What's it mean? Was that supposed to be a direct message? An accidental butt-tweet? What does the "How u" part mean? Is it a prediction? Is that something he took from today's negotiations? Does that mean a full season or half of one? So many questions but if you're looking for a sign, maybe that's it.

But... wouldn't you know it, Mason then deleted the tweet and put up an obligatory, "Someone just hacked my account. I did not say its looking like a season!" I don't know what to believe anymore. Stop playing with my emotions @MoneyMase.

Everyone claims hacking when a tweet goes wrong, but I can't help but wonder if Mason actually tweeted it and then got a quick call from Billy Hunter or Derek Fisher saying, "HEY! NOT SO FAST THERE MONEY MASE!" and then started Twitter damage control which begins with a "Someone hacked my account!" tweet. Or again, a direct message gone public message.

Whatever the case, I can feel the momentum, real or not. I'm choosing to believe in a season. Don't bring me down Money Mase.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31799738

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 02:19 AM ----------

The better question is: when the **** did Roger Mason Jr. become the VP of the player association? :ols:

:pfft:

Andre Drummond signed with Uconn. He'll be draft eligible in 2012 instead of 2013 now. He'll almost certainly be the #1 pick if he comes out (and he's almost certain to one and done).

An already stacked 2012 draft class just got more stacked.

We've GOT to get a high lotto pick this season. Some sort of lockout probably helps us achieve this.

Here is DX's 2012 mock: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

Most of the guys in their top ten look like potential difference makers and All Stars. I'm still holding out hope for one of the beast forwards like Gilchrist, Davis, Miller, or Barnes.

NBA wants 3rd round in draft

SheridanHoops.com has learned that NBA owners have proposed adding a third round to the annual draft, a proposal that the players’ union has countered by offering an array of changes to the draft that would help address the owners’ desire for more competitive balance.

According to sources involved in the league’s collective bargaining discussions, the union has proposed various changes to the draft:

_ Under one proposal, the 15 teams with the worst records would continue to pick 1st through 15th, but then would also have the 16th through 30th picks. The teams with the top 15 records would have the first 15 picks of the second round, then would have the 44th through 60th picks, too. Under this proposal, the Chicago Bulls (whose 62-20 record was the league’s best last season) would have the 45th and 60th picks instead of the 30th and 30th picks. The Minnesota Timberwolves, who had the NBA’s worst record (17-65), would have their lottery pick and the 16th pick, but would no longer have the first pick of the second round — No. 31 overall.

_ Under another proposal, the teams with the eight worst records would get an additional first round pick, beginning with selection No. 22, and the teams with the eight best records would have no first-round picks but would select at the top of the second round (picks 31 through 38), then also would get the final eight picks of the second round.

There hasn’t been a third round in an NBA draft since 1988 (Anthony Mason, selected by Portland, was the most memorable pick of that third round), as the following season the draft was shortened to two rounds. The draft was seven rounds from 1985-87, and longer before that (Little-known fact: The Chicago Bulls drafted sprinter Carl Lewis in the 10th round in 1984, even though he had not played high school or college basketball. That was the same year Chicago drafted Michael Jordan No. 3 overall).

The draft negotiations have been one of the few side issues that have been discussed during the labor talks, which have centered mainly on the split of revenues between the owners and players.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/09/07/exclusive-nba-wants-3rd-round-in-draft/

Andre Drummond signed with Uconn. He'll be draft eligible in 2012 instead of 2013 now. He'll almost certainly be the #1 pick if he comes out (and he's almost certain to one and done).

An already stacked 2012 draft class just got more stacked.

We've GOT to get a high lotto pick this season. Some sort of lockout probably helps us achieve this.

Here is DX's 2012 mock: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

Most of the guys in their top ten look like potential difference makers and All Stars. I'm still holding out hope for one of the beast forwards like Gilchrist, Davis, Miller, or Barnes.

If there is a lockout, chances are the Wiz pick around 7th. They will have less balls in the lotto because of the John Wall pick. Let's hope for at least a 50 game season.

Edited by SuperBash

I can't find information on this anywhere, so someone please help me out.

Say there is no NBA season this year. How does the 2012 draft order get determined? Will they use the same order from 2011 (meaning we pick #6) or do they re-do the lottery based on 2010-11 standings? Hopefully it's not the frittata method the NHL used to allow the Penguins to draft Crosby.

I can't find information on this anywhere, so someone please help me out.

Say there is no NBA season this year. How does the 2012 draft order get determined? Will they use the same order from 2011 (meaning we pick #6) or do they re-do the lottery based on 2010-11 standings? Hopefully it's not the frittata method the NHL used to allow the Penguins to draft Crosby.

I think we'll end up with the 7th pick or that would be our spot in the lottery if there were no season. We get less lottery balls because we had a number 1 pick in the past 3 years.

To be completely honest, I'll even take the method suggested by Kosher Ham over what the NHL did.

Either do it by the 2010-11 standings or give each team equal chance. Just make sure Dictator Stern is locked away on a remote island in the Indian ocean.

Edited by No Excuses

What exactly did the NHL do? I mean we know they obviously rigged it... ;) but on paper what did they do?
Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The draft was only seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past. The labor dispute caused the shortened draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

**** was rigged from the start. The Penguins were in terrible shape and were doomed if they hadn't gotten Crosby.