Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

28 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Don't slip to 4 and just finish as the 2 or 3.  Would be great seeing either the bucks or pacers in the first round. 

I want no part of the Bucks, too much length.  Unless we get the Pacers, first round could be tougher then it looks.  I still see us getting past the first round, but it won't be easy if we get the Bucks or Miami.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I want no part of the Bucks, too much length.  Unless we get the Pacers, first round could be tougher then it looks.  I still see us getting past the first round, but it won't be easy if we get the Bucks or Miami.

Bucks may take us to six but experience is on our side. They will be a problem in 2 years but right now we have the correct mix of vet savvy and talent. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Giannis is a beast but that team around him is not any good and they have no postseason experience.  They're frickin starting Malcolm Brogdon at PG.  A rookie shooting guard.  And behind him is Dellavedova.  John would eat those guys alive.

Milwaukee only has three players who would crack our rotation.  We don't need to be scared of those guys.

• Like 4

I hear ya'll talking, seen 'em play us, too, and they playing pretty good basketball right now.  I don't think scared is the word for it, more like respect.  All those games were close expect the one they beat the hell out of us.

Edited by Renegade7

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think we sweep our first round matchup no matter who it is.  I think it's a blitzkrieg.  And if we get Boston or Toronto in the second, I think we win in five.  I think our talent advantage over these teams is overwhelming.

That kool-aid sounds delicious, can I have some?  : )

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think we sweep our first round matchup no matter who it is.  I think it's a blitzkrieg.  And if we get Boston or Toronto in the second, I think we win in five.  I think our talent advantage over these teams is overwhelming.

John and Beal are ready too. They know this is their season. That attitude they share when its serious is tough to beat. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That kool-aid sounds delicious, can I have some?  : )

Its infectious bro lol

• Like 2

Yeah they're dialed in now.  The whole team.  They have an identity and everyone seems to know their role and is thriving in it.  And they're playing together.  All of that culture of me **** I was scared to see at the beginning of the year didn't last.  Everything has kind of clicked into place by the time we signed Jennings.

And I agree with you that Wall and Beal are ready.  You know what's crazy?  They've been better than Curry and Thompson this season.  That is a championship caliber tandem and they've got all of the right role players in spots 3-11.  And what's even more encouraging is that the only guys we might lose next year are Jennings and Bogdanovich.  If we keep Bojangles, the team will have so much continuity heading into next year.  That's why I think we're going to win 60 games and get the one seed next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah they're dialed in now.  The whole team.  They have an identity and everyone seems to know their role and is thriving in it.  And they're playing together.  All of that culture of me **** I was scared to see at the beginning of the year didn't last.  Everything has kind of clicked into place by the time we signed Jennings.

And I agree with you that Wall and Beal are ready.  You know what's crazy?  They've been better than Curry and Thompson this season.  That is a championship caliber tandem and they've got all of the right role players in spots 3-11.  And what's even more encouraging is that the only guys we might lose next year are Jennings and Bogdanovich.  If we keep Bojangles, the team will have so much continuity heading into next year.  That's why I think we're going to win 60 games and get the one seed next season.

kool-aid_featured.jpg

• Like 7

At this point, I don't think I have to defend the homer viewpoint of this team.  It's been right this year.  My preseason prediction of 52 wins and the three seed is on track.  I didn't come up with these predictions randomly.  They're sourced in watching the team a ton and participating in a ton of conversation and analysis about it.  I have had my finger on the pulse of the team this year.

I'm not just tooting my horn, I wasn't the only one who was accurate in his predictions and expectations.  I know Skin'Em and Brave have also consistently been right too.  Both were early optimists and Skin'Em has been dead on with his player evaluations.  He'd been calling for the Morris trade for a while and was one of the few who liked the move.  And he was also right about Bojangles before we traded for him.

Get on board the bandwagon folks.  This team is positioned for a run of contention over the next two to three years that most of us are not old enough to have known before.  The NBA is predetermined and the only thing that can get in a contender's way is injury to a star player, and every contender deals with that reality.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The NBA is predetermined and the only thing that can get in a contender's way is injury to a star player, and every contender deals with that reality.

This is where you knock on wood and respect cautious optimism, Steve.  Wizards can play lights out, we've all seen it.  At this point it's about making sure we can consistently play lights out in the playoffs, as I don't expect us to always shoot on fire like we did against Cleveland, but we need to keep that defense right.  We still let them score 115.

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Can we afford to keep Porter and Bogs this offseason?

Depends on how much tax Ted is willing to pay.  I think Porter will ultimately sign for 5 years at just under the max and Bojan will sign for the MLE.  That'd put us just under the tax.  If either sign for more, then we probably go into it.

A championship contender can expect to go into the tax to retain their rotation in today's landscape.  If Ted wants to keep the band together and truly compete for a ring in the next two or three years, then he should expect to pay luxury tax.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Some of you may be setting yourselves up for a fall, but that's the fun of sports. A team that allows you to daydream, go nuts, and be a bit unrealistic. Curious to see what happens with this team.

Wizards fans always root scared.  The amount of overcautious respect being heaped on bum also-rans like Milwaukee and Miami I'm reading from the fan base is absurd.  The NBA is, by far, the most predictable league in the world.  It's the only predictable league.  There is a simple formula: the team with the most talent wins almost every single time.  The only things that can change the calculus that can be done at the beginning of each year are injuries.  It goes without saying that me predicting us to beat anyone in the East but Cleveland hinges on our star players not getting injured.  It's why we didn't beat Atlanta in 2015.  But again, that's the reality that every single team lives with.

I'm still not ruling out the possibility of snagging the #1 seed. We're only 2 back of Cleveland and 2.5 back of Boston. Also.........

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/28/morning-shootaround-march-28-2017

No. 1: Lue may punt on high seed to rest Cavs' stars -- For the first time since Nov. 9, 2015, the Cleveland Cavaliers are not leading the Eastern Conference standings. Their 103-74 loss at the hands of the visiting San Antonio Spurs last night pushed the Boston Celtics ahead of Cleveland for No. 1 in the conference. As Cleveland looks at its last few games, coach Tyronn Lue may be willing to exchange a top-three seed so stars LeBron James and Kyrie Irving can rest up for the playoffs.

Click link for the rest

My thoughts: they may be mini-tanking so as to fall to the #4 and hoping that we hang on to the #3 or better, but not overtake Boston, for the sake of avoiding US until the ECF, and facing Boston in the 2nd. I think Milwaukee snags the #5, so that's who Cleveland would face if they fall to the #4. Which would leave us to face ATL, Indy, or Miami in the 1st, and (assuming they win) Toronto in the 2nd. I like that scenario. In fact, if we stay ahead of Toronto, that would actually give us home court throughout the playoffs, including the ECF.

Edited by TheItalianStallion

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not just tooting my horn, I wasn't the only one who was accurate in his predictions and expectations.  I know Skin'Em and Brave have also consistently been right too.  Both were early optimists and Skin'Em has been dead on with his player evaluations.  He'd been calling for the Morris trade for a while and was one of the few who liked the move.  And he was also right about Bojangles before we traded for him.

I wouldn't say I've been entirely right about all my predictions. I really thought Jason smith was a niche player and more often than not, unplayable. I also thought he didn't have it in him to stretch the floor to the perimeter. He, like Humphries before him, were mid range fiends and rarely stepped out that far...He's been amazing. I also thought that Scottie was a flawed coach whose success was contingent on having Durant/Westbrook/Harden. Though, I did say he would still be a huge step up from Randy. Anyone would. No coach at all would have been better. Scott Brooks is borderline coach of the year imo. Harden has already been an mvp candidate in recent years, so he can't take credit for that. I also thought letting Jarell Eddie go for the likes of Ochefu was a huge mistake. I'm still not convinced having Eddie instead of Ochefu wouldn't be better. I think I said a 48 win season was the ceiling following our terrible bungle of an offseason. 

As as for player evaluations: They were classic cases of good players in really bad situations.

Prediction no.1: think this team as constructed is 1 move away from repeated finals contention: moving Marcin Gortat for an athletic rebounding big. ( plumlee, illyasova, hernangomez, faried). He's been terrible for 2 years. Sucked last year, sucked this year, and is trending downwards fast. I don't care what any player does in his down time as long as they are putting in the effort on the floor. He's been garbage lately, and a stat whore at best over the season. His best asset is showing up. That is not good enough. And now he gets caught picking up not one, but 3 chicks at the clubs? Any other player would be crucified for that. I stand by my statement that we should have kept Nene over him this past offseason. Going forward, we would be better off benching him for Ian and Jason. 

Prediction no.2: Otto learns how to create his own shot next year and proves he was worth the max we give him this offseason.

Edited by Skin'emAlive