Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I was at Levi's Stadium for the Skins/Niners game last year. Stayed at the InterContinental in downtown SF.

It was a blast.

The new stadium is beautiful...very traditional and low-key with a college vibe and outta this world tailgating.

It was a 45 minute drive to the stadium from downtown.

Every Niners fan I talked to loved it and so did I.

Eh, I was there too. Tailgating was fun. but it was still out away from the city. Still had no context in the design. Still had sun directly in the eyes half the game. But to each his own.

Btw, in the city during high traffic hours, it takes 45 min just to get from the wharf to the mission.

No draft talk yet? In a disappointing season no less. Maybe it's a demonstration of how much Ernie sucks at the draft. No chance he gets this pick right.

DX has us taking Trey Lyles right now. I'd be happy with that.

We aren't talking draft because deep down inside, we all know that bum of a coach will be back next year and that provides us with no hope. 

• Like 3

We aren't talking draft because deep down inside, we all know that bum of a coach will be back next year and that provides us with no hope.

Not to mention Ernies going to either draft a European who won't be here for three years or sell the pick anyway.

• Like 2

If Otto shows out, then forget what I said about needing another SF.

I'd be happy if Lyles fell to us in the draft, but what are our needs? I'd like to get a strech 4.

Back up Point guard has to be the main priority. Someone who can come off the bench and we don't end up looking like an high school team.

• Like 1

Back up Point guard has to be the main priority. Someone who can come off the bench and we don't end up looking like an high school team.

I think finding Nene's replacement might be more important. Nene has looked like utter **** lately and you have to imagine he's not going to suddenly find the fountain of youth in Brazil this offseason.

You knew this would happen with Nene. The last two years of his deal were what made that trade God awful back then.

Reading around the Internet that Tomas S. has really improved his game overseas. Wonder if we bring him over? We need all the help that we can at the guard spot.

You knew this would happen with Nene. The last two years of his deal were what made that trade God awful back then.

Reading around the Internet that Tomas S. has really improved his game overseas. Wonder if we bring him over? We need all the help that we can at the guard spot.

Wasn't a bad trade at all...even with the years/money on Nene's contract, we fleeced Denver because they ultimately got duped by McGee and his "never coming to fruition" potential. 

Second best trade Ernie has made in his tenure, IMO.

As far as Sato:

This is what a poster on RealGM said:

Barcelona beat real Madrid. Very good game defensively for Satoransky - offensively, just okay. He had a couple of TOs credited to him that were good passes and just dropped. Could easily have been a 7 assist 1 TO effort. Still, Real Madrid is the best team in the Spanish league and would be very competitive against some of the teams (no, not the top 8 or 10) in the league. Satoransky played the most minutes for the team.

He is the real deal.

Shooting 42% from 3 and 84% from the line. 

If we can get him to come over, that would be huge....and obviously alter the draft plans a bit.

But like you said, we need to find a replacement for Nene.  Lyles would make sense if he's there when we pick. 

I simply don't see the value in Nene. He hasn't produced at a high level for any sustainable level of time when you measure it up against his salary. He's a decent player who has been eating up cap space as if he's the #2 option on the team. When you couple that with other bad contracts on this team, you can see why we are so unproductive at certain roster spots.

The McGee/Nene trade turned out to be a bad deal for both teams because the Nuggets ended up extending McGee. 

I feel we were better off just letting McGee walk in FA.

Edited by No Excuses

I simply don't see the value in Nene. He hasn't produced at a high level for any sustainable level of time when you measure it up against his salary. He's a decent player who has been eating up cap space as if he's the #2 option on the team. When you couple that with other bad contracts on this team, you can see why we are so unproductive at certain roster spots.

The McGee/Nene trade turned out to be a bad deal for both teams because the Nuggets ended up extending McGee. 

We don't win the series vs. the Bulls w/o Nene. 

In addition, we all knew when the trade was made that there was risk, because there was a chance that McGee would develop into a legit top-10 5 in the league.  Nene's contract and injury history were the obvious negatives with the deal, but we got all we could out of him and he'll be off the books next season. 

If Otto shows out, then forget what I said about needing another SF. 

I'd be happy if Lyles fell to us in the draft, but what are our needs?  I'd like to get a strech 4.

We need pretty much anything on the bench and probably a PF that can start in the future.

If Otto works out then he moves into the starting lineup at SF sooner than later. Butler is probably gone this summer and I'd imagine Pierce either retires this summer or next summer. Durant recently said he wants to play his whole career for one team and I take that to mean he plans to stay in OKC. Martell Webster has really deteriorated to the point where we're going to have to cut him soon. So there isn't anything at all behind Otto at SF after next season. Same goes for Wall and Beal at PG and SG, where we need a third guard today.

In the front court, Nene is aging and declining and after his contract expires next summer, I think he'll probably walk. Gooden is probably going to consider retirement soon. We'll probably have to let Seraphin walk this summer to keep enough cap room to try and sign Durant. Humphries is good and he's here for now, and gives us someone that can be at least a limited starter at PF in the short term. And we've got Blair under contract for two more seasons too, so that can help soften the loss of Seraphin. Though Blair has sucked this season and there isn't a lot of reason to be confident in him moving forward. The uncertainty of our PF situation is why I'm hopeful that Lyles or maybe Frank Kaminsky, Bobby Portis, or Montrezl Harrell are there when we pick. Kevin Looney out of UCLA is another name getting tossed around in our draft range. Sure would be nice if the next Rudy Gobert or Kenneth Faried fell to us but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I believe Ernie Grunfeld can come up with a legitimate draft steal.

Not a PF, but Tyus Jones is pretty interesting too. He could probably help us. That was a really impressive championship game performance from him.

No matter what, we are going to have to go BPA that deep in the draft just to get someone who might be a rotation player. Been a minute since we've actually picked outside the top six.

Wall resting tonight.

First time he's missed a game since January 2013.

That's a shame. He had an impressive Iron Man streak going considering the leg and foot injuries he had the first two and a half seasons of his career.

Wouldn't have had a big man though. When Nene got here, we were desperate for credible, starting caliber talent. Especially at the big man spots. Nene has been that. And he was a legitimate force in the postseason last year, which I think was critical for Wall. Chuck put it well, it's been nice for Wall to have a guy like Nene that other NBA players are physically afraid of. Gave us a backbone.

Nene's high price tag didn't hinder us much like it would have for a good team because we didn't actually have the ability to sign anybody for most of his contract.

It wasn't an ideal trade, Nene has been hurt, his last seasons are expensive now that we're good, and he never was a natural fit with Wall in terms of play style. But I think it was necessary and it helped us big picture. I don't know that we get it turned around without him. Look back at those first seasons prior to Nene. Wall's best teammate was Trevor Booker. Wall had never known what it was like to play with another legit starter before Nene. Turrible. We did pretty much everything wrong Wall's first two years (except for getting rid of Arenas). It's amazing he didn't bust.

And thinking about how we got all of that--a legit two way seven footer--for JaVale McGee... it blows my mind. We got lucky. That trade was a disaster for Denver and we're headed the other direction from them now. Even if we could go back and do it over, I'd still make that trade.

We got lucky with Gortat too. A player like him shouldn't have been available for an expiring contract and a late first round pick. If Phoenix hadn't landed Alex Len in the draft then I don't know if he becomes available. And just when we needed him too. That deal saved our season last year and landed us a good starting C for at least several seasons. I highly doubt Gortat signs his extension with us if he hadn't already been here, thriving and enjoying himself playing with Wall. Wouldn't have been able to offer him the extra year either. If not for that, there is no way in Hell he chooses us over San Antonio, Dallas, or Miami.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

We don't win the series vs. the Bulls w/o Nene. 

Ironically, the Nene factor against the Bulls may have been solved this season. The real question is whether or not Thibs would play Mirotic over Gasol at the 4.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

We knew Nene's deal would be a significant anchor the last couple of years. Hopefully it doesn't hold us down too much and then when it comes off the board, the cap space allows us to go ham on someone huge.

His expiring could be a heck of a bargaining chip as well for a possible trade.