Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Does Wittman watch game tape?  I mean of our own team?  Otto is clogging the passing lanes, moving great without the ball, and hustling like crazy.  I don't want to overstate things too much but 3 starts and 3 wins.  Coincidence?

The LeBrons beat the Bulls last night.  Nice. 

Does Wittman watch game tape?  I mean of our own team?  Otto is clogging the passing lanes, moving great without the ball, and hustling like crazy.  I don't want to overstate things too much but 3 starts and 3 wins.  Coincidence?

The LeBrons beat the Bulls last night.  Nice.

Good point. I noticed that good off the ball movement too. There is so much standing around amongst our players that Otto stands out for moving well and keeping the defense working and keeping the floor nice and spaced. There is a big difference in the activity level that he plays with vs. that of Pierce and Butler. Those guys don't make an impact when they aren't scoring.

If it's Chicago in the first round then you start Nene. If it's Toronto in the first then you start Porter at SF and start Pierce at PF. Any decent coach would do it. Let's see what Wittman does.

Don't the Bullets still have that practice facility at the arena ? What would be the difference ? Better yet what is the point?

From Ted Leonsis:

The Wizards have subpar practice facilities compared with the rest of the NBA, where a number of other teams like the Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves have built new facilities for their teams. Last November he wrote on his blog that their current practice court was "was marginal at best when it was constructed 17 years ago." There is only one full-size court at the Verizon Center's practice court while most standalone NBA team practice facilities have multiple courts and state of the art training rooms.

Shame on the owner for wanting to improve things for his team. Not to mention he probably wants to make this a Kettler type place like the Caps have where maybe fans can come watch practice. Not sure how prevalent that is for basketball.

I'm all for the Ted hate, just not on this one .

That's absurd.

You only play ten guys at a time...all you need is one court. 35M ?

Practice at Georgetown or GW, or American....

What a waste of money and space.

Good facilities is a HUGE draw for free agents...and not to mention, it would be doing right by his own team as well. 

It's no where near being a waste of money. 

As much as we want our on the court product to excel, there has to be something said about what happens off of it. 

I'm 100000% behind this.  It needs to happen. 

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/will-bynum-10-day-contract-wizards-will-retain-guard-rest-season

Wizards will retain veteran for remainder of season

Because of a lingering left hamstring strain, Will Bynum hasn't been able to do much for the Wizards after signing a 10-day contract, but they're going to retain him for the rest of the season anyway when signs another deal Monday, CSNwashington.com has confirmed with persons with knowledge of the situation.

Bynum has appeared for a total of eight minutes in three games since signing his first deal March 27. The 6-foot guard hasn't scored and has taken just two shots.

Bynum's signing was delayed by his hamstring injury, which he developed while playing in China this season. It was between a Grade 2-3, the latter of which is the worst. 

While he's learning coach Randy Wittman's concepts on both sides of the ball, he's rounding into form physically and should be ready for the postseason. No one, including Bynum, expected him to contribute immediately. He had been the Wizards' top target among free agents since January.

He should give Wittman another option with the backcourt that already relies on John Wall and Ramon Sessions, a combination that injects more pace into the Wizards' play with both units. Sessions was acquired in a Feb. 20 trade for Andre Miller. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

That's absurd.

You only play ten guys at a time...all you need is one court. 35M ?

Practice at Georgetown or GW, or American....

What a waste of money and space.

They are a pro team, they aren't going to go begging schools to pencil them in. They need their own space that fits their needs. Practice is more than just running 5 on 5 scrimmages, more than one court is much better. A facility that isn't beneath concerts and ice hockey matches makes a lot of sense and as other have mentioned it makes the team more attractive to free agents.

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/otto-porter-jr-growing-up-before-our-eyes-with-wizards/2015/04/05/e2a0a54a-dbca-11e4-acfe-cd057abefa9a_story.html

Otto Porter Jr. growing up before our eyes with Wizards

Jeff Green drifted off Otto Porter Jr., neglecting the bespectacledWashington Wizards forward atop the key at FedEx Forum on Saturday night. Green, a talented swingman and Georgetown product like Porter, was fixated on Bradley Beal, who was working around a screen from Marcin Gortat on the left wing.

The decision demonstrated Green’s priorities: Beal and Gortat were far greater threats even with two defenders in their immediate vicinity.

Beal recognized Green’s desertion and instantly skipped a pass to an open Porter. In one motion, Porter caught the basketball and drained a three-pointer. The shot deflated the surging Memphis Grizzlies and extended the Wizards’ lead back to 10 points in the third quarter of their 92-83 victory.

“That was kind of a momentum killer,” Wizards Coach Randy Wittman recalled after the game.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Feels like three nights is a huge lay off between games.

Looking like we'll get to 47 wins. Maybe 48 since that Cleveland game will probably be bench vs bench and anything could happen.

Man it kills me that Randy farted this season away. A good coach would have gotten so much more development out of Beal and Porter. He wouldn't have alienated Gortat. And he could have gotten this team to 53 or 54 wins.

Honestly, i dont care at all how many wins we end up with. To me, the number doesnt matter anywhere near as much as development does. The other teams in the East are getting better and younger very quickly. Us being at that 50 win mark means nothing when you have the Bucks growing exponentially with a top pick in the draft *and* Parker coming back next year *and* a top 5-6 coach. The Heat will be significantly better with Wade, Bosh, Dragic, and Whiteside. Thats not taking into consideration FA. Detroit has already taken steps, and got rid of their biggest issue this past season, while solving the other ( keeping Monroe over Smith). Bulls got better this year. Cleveland will only get better from here on out unless Lebron crashes. Boston has an amazing coach and high draft picks again. The list goes on.

But here we are in the last few weeks of the regular season and Beal has regressed/plateaued, while continuing to take terrible shots that he is terrible at taking.  Worse yet, he completely acknowledges that he doesnt like taking the one shot he should have been working on since he was drafted.  Its inexcusable that Beal is ok with not even trying to hit jumpers off of screens. He should be running those routes and taking those shots without hesitancy at this point. Also, we know nothing about Otto other than he has looked good starting for this team. In fact, i would venture to say Otto doesnt look much different right now than how he looked in the first few weeks of the season where he put up the same numbers in Pierce's absence. But lets ignore that elephant and focus on the bigger issue: By now we should know where his sweet spots are, what he could improve on, what could we exploit against other teams, who does he mesh really well with, etc.

Regardless of how this turns out, Wittman has got to go.

Those answers are fine and all. You want taxpayers to pay 35M for a gym. That is a completely absurd amount.

Ashburn VA, the Redskins have 3 full size fields and a state of the art gym. I bet that does not value 35M.

No, but just a 30 million dollar EXPANSION...meaning on top of what is already there, to the Ashburn facility. 

So, about your argument....LOL. 

I'll all for taxpayers being on the hook for this, because it's something that needs to be done.  If you're not a Wizards fan, I wouldn't expect you to be for this. 

No, but just a 30 million dollar EXPANSION...meaning on top of what is already there, to the Ashburn facility. 

So, about your argument....LOL. 

I'll all for taxpayers being on the hook for this, because it's something that needs to be done.  If you're not a Wizards fan, I wouldn't expect you to be for this. 

It's not even reasonable to suggest that 30-35M is acceptable for a gym. Did the area around Howard suddenly become Potomac MD ?

It's not something that needs to be done at that price point.

That's my argument, perhaps you didn't understand or I didn't make it clear. I think it is stupid, and a waste of money.

Not saying that they don't need better facilities, just not 35M worth that the tax payers have to pay for.

It's a need ? 35M bucks ? For a gym ? Run and Shoot with a full gym (showers, lockers, weights), 10 courts, stands, scoreboards, food, a track, etc... was certainly not even close to a 30M price point.

Edited by Kosher Ham

It's not even reasonable to suggest that 30-35M is acceptable for a gym. Did the area around Howard suddenly become Potomac MD ?

It's not something that needs to be done at that price point.

That's my argument, perhaps you didn't understand or I didn't make it clear. I think it is stupid, and a waste of money.

Not saying that they don't need better facilities, just not 35M worth that the tax payers have to pay for.

I understand your argument, but I don't agree with it at all.

Pro sports teams need state of the art facilities.  Same can be said about teams on the D1 level.  As a taxpayer, I have no issue with it.  At the end of the day, if the end goal is to generate revenue for the city AND make your team more competitive/appealing, then these are necessary steps that need to be taken.  

Edited by RonArtest15

DC is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world.

You want to "Lol" at an argument...it's yours.

Hotels and restaurants have a 10% tax...even McDonalds. Then hotels hit you for all the other crap.

They should build a facility near the Navy Yard then. Cheaper and makes about just as much sense.

You don't get it.

I am not at all stating that they should have inferior facilities. I just don't think the tax payers...should have to pay for that.

R.I.P. Jack Kent Cooke.

• Like 1

DC is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world.

You want to "Lol" at an argument...it's yours.

Hotels and restaurants have a 10% tax...even McDonalds. Then hotels hit you for all the other crap.

They should build a facility near the Navy Yard then. Cheaper and makes about just as much sense.

You don't get it.

I am not at all stating that they should have inferior facilities. I just don't think the tax payers...should have to pay for that.

R.I.P. Jack Kent Cooke.

DC one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world?  You don't say. 

On one hand you're advocating building a practice facility at the Navy Yard, when you don't know the cost, AND it's in DC...but on the other, you're shunning the idea of the facility beinig built over at Howard.  So, which is it?  As it was stated on The Wire "You want it to be one way, but it's the other way."  At the end of the day, if you're a tax payer, you're going to be on the hook whether it's built on the back of Ben's Chili Bowl, or in Georgetown. 

DC will benefit from revenue and let's also not forget the jobs that WILL be created in the process.  As a Wizards fan, I'm excited about this and it's a win/win.  So yea...I'll keep "LOL'ing" at your argument.