Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He was the best option in that scenario. He was all by himself. He just missed it.

He's taken over plenty of games this year shooting the ball in the fourth quarter.. Either from behind, or to preserve the lead.

You really believe John Wall taking a three pointer a foot behind the line was the best option in that scenario? Teams aren't stupid, they leave him open for a reason. He's a great player but a very, very streaky shooter.

You really believe John Wall taking a three pointer a foot behind the line was the best option in that scenario? Teams aren't stupid, they leave him open for a reason. He's a great player but a very, very streaky shooter.

Not arguing against that.

Just think with the score what it was, and with time ticking away. You have to take that shot. Not to mention with PHX hitting all the BS they were throwing up on the other end.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

He wasn't a foot behind the line. He was squared up to the rim and wide open after his teammate set him a screen. He should have taken the shot in rhythm without hesitation. The problem was he hesitated first before putting it up and he didn't get good elevation on the shot. The man was gassed and you could see it in his movement and passivity in the fourth quarter. Tired players miss shots. Wasn't anything wrong with the decision to take that shot in that situation.

He wasn't a foot behind the line. He was squared up to the rim and wide open after his teammate set him a screen. He should have taken the shot in rhythm without hesitation. The problem was he hesitated first before putting it up and he didn't get good elevation on the shot. The man was gassed and you could see it in his movement and passivity in the fourth quarter. Tired players miss shots. Wasn't anything wrong with the decision to take that shot in that situation.

Thats fine if you think that, I just disagree with you. No worries.

Phoenix played a cleaner game all around and they earned that win. We didn't have enough in the tank to beat them unless they had completely fallen apart in the fourth quarter--which they did almost do.

I didn't expect much given how big an uphill battle this was always going to be, but I'm proud of the second half effort of the team for clawing back and making a game out of it. The quality of execution was night and day better following the half.

Three positives I take from this game:

1.) Martell Webster: Didn't score alot of points but he's moving much more fluidly imo. And the shot is getting closer. You can see it.
2.) Garrett Temple: Provides more speed/athleticism and defense at the PG position. Miller's a 3rd PG at this point in his career.
3.) Otto Porter: Personally, I think Otto would excel in a more uptempo type of game. In other words, I think he needs more time with Wall. And hopefully, he'll be fazed in as a starter soon.

• Like 1

It's clear that Wall, Beal, Porter, and Nene are the four biggest talents on the team. Wall is 24, Beal and Porter are 21. The team has a big future. I see fans and observers complain about the old age of the team and say it lacks upside. Of our three most important long term pieces, Wall is a young superstar and Beal and Porter are NBA babies. The team has HUGE untapped upside.

• Like 1

I don't care about upside during a season where we should be sitting pretty in the East and hoping to advance at least beyond the first round.  Right now we can't beat the better teams and Wittman needs to find a way to do that with this team, right now, NBA babies and all.  It would help if teams that could shoot didn't seem to torch us with great regularity.

• Like 1

I don't have the energy to make to 1am tonight. I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I check the score in the morning.

Yeah me either, I tried but I fell asleep with the game on around halftime. I was hoping we'd make a great comeback looks like we almost did. Oh well, just beat Toronto Saturday.

I don't care about upside during a season where we should be sitting pretty in the East and hoping to advance at least beyond the first round.  Right now we can't beat the better teams and Wittman needs to find a way to do that with this team, right now, NBA babies and all.  It would help if teams that could shoot didn't seem to torch us with great regularity.

We definitely have a great chance to advance beyond the first round. Right now we're the third seed coming off the hardest stretch of our schedule. Long term upside always matters because our goal isn't to have a one or two year championship window. It especially matters for a team that's on the cusp of contention.

4 games in 5 nights on a WC road trip will do that to ya. 

Easily could have had 3/4 on this trip if it wasn't for the Portland debacle, but I think most of us saw last night's loss coming from a mile away. 

Damn, I was at the game at VC we lost to these guys Christmas week so I wanted a little get back buuuuuuuut we were playing our 4th game in 5 days on the road and Phoenix, which hadn't played since Sunday, played its 7th game of an 8 game home stand. Like Steve said, schedule loss.

In fine with a schedule loss but the trip highlighted the wizards issues.

Teams we beat? Nuggets Lakers.

Teams that beat us? Thunder, Trail Blazers, and Suns.

We beat the bad and lose to the good. We have very few quality wins compared to losses. The Thunder, Rockets, Mavericks, Hawks, and Raptors have owned us. Haven't played Golden State yet but looking at how we've dealt with good teams, and good three point teams if be surprised if we didn't lose by 20.

This team has some major issues they need to work out before the playoffs. The same way we seem to find a way to win when playing the dredges of the league too closely, we find a way to lose against better teams in the second half.

We aren't getting enough production from the three point line. We aren't stopping other teams from hitting threes on us in the second half. We don't have a reliable scoring option that we can lean on in the second half to carry the team through periods where the role players shrink.

This is a good team but it's missing a few things. To my eye, the team is weaker right now than it was at the end of last season. This despite Wall being much better.

The sky is not falling. Don't take this to mean the team should be blown up or anything so dramatic. We're just getting less from key guys (Gortat and Beal) and missing some elements that were big for us last season (Ariza's perimeter defense).

Edited by Destino
  • Like 3

In fine with a schedule loss but the trip highlighted the wizards issues.

Teams we beat? Nuggets Lakers.

Teams that beat us? Thunder, Trail Blazers, and Suns.

We beat the bad and lose to the good. We have very few quality wins compared to losses. The Thunder, Rockets, Mavericks, Hawks, and Raptors have owned us. Haven't played Golden State yet but looking at how we've dealt with good teams, and good three point teams if be surprised if we didn't lose by 20.

This team has some major issues they need to work out before the playoffs. The same way we seem to find a way to win when playing the dredges of the league too closely, we find a way to lose against better teams in the second half.

We aren't getting enough production from the three point line. We aren't stopping other teams from hitting threes on us in the second half. We don't have a reliable scoring option that we can lean on in the second half to carry the team through periods where the role players shrink.

This is a good team but it's missing a few things. To my eye, the team is weaker right now than it was at the end of last season. This despite Wall being much better.

The sky is not falling. Don't take this to mean the team should be blown up or anything so dramatic. We're just getting less from key guys (Gortat and Beal) and missing some elements that were big for us last season (Ariza's perimeter defense).

man, i feel you.

I feel this way as well on so many issues.

We are a second scorer away, imo. I thought Beal would be that, but he hasnt been there at all. I took a look at his numbers, he is shooting under 30% from 3-16 feet this year versus being around 40% last year. His lift is the same and his form is the same, so its how teams are defending him now. He has to adjust.

This offense is still bad and Gortat is already looking a bad contract.

Also, the East isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I can see this team making the 2nd round, but it wouldnt stun me if they got bounced in the first.

The bench has deteriorated, and we dont have athletes anymore outside of Wall.

And I actually think Wittless has kind of regressed this season on coaching.

• Like 1

Atlanta and Dallas owned us. But we lost to Toronto at the beginning of the year playing short handed, beat Houston, and those OKC losses were games we should have won that they stole because of ****ty officiating and Durant hero ball.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dont think it's as bad as JW is insinuating...  Pisses me off a bit they were so flat last night and just happen to be in the same place the superbowl is being held... But that being said i agree we need someone else to step up and score, we keep going long periods without scoring while not stopping the other team. 

First time attending Wizards game at Verizon Center Saturday so excited. Will be sitting in the 400's but I don't care. 

Prices are going down now so it's about 29 dollars a ticket 

As mentioned above I would like to see them warm up up close so hoping the usher will just let me breeze by, usually they are very strict about tickets. HEY YOU IN THIS SECTION? GET OUT

I can guarantee that our perimeter d will get better with Otto playing starter minutes. That being said, most of the perimeter shots are coming over Wall and Beal as the Repeatedly go under the screen!

I can also guarantee that our perimeter d will get better with Garrett getting the backup pg minutes.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

@CSNMA @JMichaelCSN @CSNWizards what's the Durant back up plan? Hypothetically of course.

Good question. Not a lot of details on that just yet, but with built-in salary cap flexibility for the summer of 2016 they'll have a lot of options. A lot of players will become free agents or have opt-outs they'd still have to exercise by then. LeBron James (he's not in the picture but just as an example) purposefully signed a shorter deal with the Cavs in anticipation of the new salary cap structure that will result in bigger paydays thanks to the new TV deal. The Wizards would have the cap space, plus this likely core of the roster (Wall, Beal, Gortat, Porter) to build around. And their 2012 draft pick Tomas Satoransky should finally be here as Wall's backup. Durant is the max player they want, but they could settle on two players worth, say, in the $10 million-per-year range each to fill that void absent Durant. They have to work out an extension with Beal this summer first. If that doesn't happen, that'll change things a little. 

@JMichaelCSN @CSNMA @CSNWizards should Otto Porter be the first SF/SG come off the bench? He Defends, Rebs #WizardsTalk

If he plays the way he has in the last two games, yes. But Porter's problem is he's not as assertive and that disrupts the offense with the second unit. They want him to shoot the ball, take his man off the dribble and create for others and when it's there for him be a bit selfish. He's skill-wise the best of the bunch off the bench to fill that role but doesn't always play that way. That's why Rasual Butler had jumped ahead of him in the rotation. He needs an injection of Butler's confidence and mental toughness.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH