Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/07/31/wizards-bradley-beal-i-still-have-something-to-prove-to-myself-every-year-and-im-going-to-get-better/

Wizards’ Bradley Beal: ‘I still have something to prove to myself every year

LAS VEGAS – Bradley Beal celebrated his 21st birthday with a lavish party in his hometown of St. Louis that included women wearing body paint of his Wizards jersey and doing circus tricks from the ceiling. Beal had a slightly more laidback gathering Washington two weeks later that attracted several of his teammates, including John Wall and Marcin Gortat, who was ready to revel for other reasons after having just signed a five-year, $60 million contract.

The largesse of the extended celebrations countered Beal’s laid back demeanor but, like the little hairs beginning to huddle on his chin, they were also acknowledgments that the kid is growing up.

“I feel older. My bones are starting to wear down now,” Beal said, cracking a smile. “Getting old, man, for sure.”

But this week, at Team USA training camp at UNLV’s Mendenhall Center, Beal is also out to show he is getting better while matching up in practice with all-stars and other rising talents in the game. Unlike last summer, when he was in Las Vegas as a spectator limited to shooting stand-still jumpers as he recovered from a stress injury in his right leg and watching Wall compete, Beal is often sharing the floor with his Wizards backcourt mate.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wall started finding a rhythm in the third quarter but it wasn't enough to outshine Lillard's play and then everything went to hell when PG got injured. That happened early in the fourth and Wall didn't get a final shift.

I wonder if that ball wasn't an issue. None of the shooters were really shooting that well and it looked like a lot of people had trouble catching the ball. Davis flubbed two great passes Wall gave him that should have led to dunks. The alley-oop timing was off for almost everyone too.

Wall started to find his footing with Plumlee though. Plumlee played like ass in the first half too, but they both got it going after the break.

The story of the game before the PG injury was the play of the bigs IMO. Namely, Davis got outplayed by all of them. Cousins and Faried looked fantastic. Drummond and Millsap did their things. And Plumlee really made an impact in the third quarter.

For us to bring our best team to Vegas, Faried and Cousins should be on it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/kevin-durant-earn-30m-year-armour-article-1.1891586

Kevin Durant could sign with Under Armour for $30 million a year, could help Wizards in pursuit of MVP 

Kevin Durant won’t hit the free agent market until July 2016 but the NBA’s Most Valuable Player is on the verge of landing a blockbuster endorsement deal that could influence his future on the court as well.

According to a person familiar with negotiations, Durant, whose seven-year, $60 million deal with Nike is expiring, could earn as much as $30 million annually if he signs with Under Armour Inc., whose headquarters are in Durant’s home state of Maryland.

Nike and Adidas are also in talks with Durant, whose combination of brilliance on the court and marketability in the aftermath of his emotional MVP speech has made him the darling of Madison Avenue.

“I’m just going to let my team be the ones who handle that behind the scenes, I guess,” Durant told ESPN last week. “When you look at stuff like that, it’s great problems to have because people want you for what you know and do on the basketball court, the work you put in, so I’m going to continue to put my work in, let them focus on that on the other end, and we’ll come together at some point.”

A deal with Under Armour could also be beneficial to the Washington Wizards, one of several teams, including the Knicks and Nets, putting themselves in position financially to make a run at Durant in two summers.

Wizards owner Ted Leonsis and Under Armour Founder/CEO Kevin Plank, a University of Maryland graduate, have been involved in several philanthropic endeavors in the D.C. area.

A potential Durant deal with Under Armour doesn’t guarantee the Wizards of landing Durant but for the star-crossed franchise any connection to the Maryland/D.C. area doesn’t hurt either.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH