The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So..

Gortat Blair Seraphin

Nene Humphries Gooden

Pierce Otto

Beal Webster Rice

Wall Miller

That leaves one spot right? 14 signed one open in case if emergency, iirc. Need a point guard.

Seraphin is gone, bro.  I think the 3rd PG spot will eventually go to Temple, assuming he re-signs.  Not sure what's going to happen with the last roster spot....maybe Khem Birch...maybe a vet.  Who knows? 

Was just watching this old Bullets promo vid from the mid-90's (You Da Man! You Da Man!) and had a thought.  You know who I feel good for? Buck and Phil. They've been way too good to have been calling for the teams they've called for over the years. Happy they finally, barring something unforeseen, get to call games for a winner.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 6

Seraphin is gone, bro.  I think the 3rd PG spot will eventually go to Temple, assuming he re-signs.  Not sure what's going to happen with the last roster spot....maybe Khem Birch...maybe a vet.  Who knows? 

Sam Cassell will hopefully lobby for Birch.  The long shot with talent and, dare I say it, upside.  Easy to root for that.

I was just looking over the list of FA PGs and Luke Ridnour caught my eye.  He can shoot.  Could be decent if we want to go a different route than Temple.  I'm not opposed to Temple though.  He's a known quantity and he can defend SGs too and we know he doesn't care about being at the end of the bench.

I want our SL team to beat Miami tomorrow night.  If we do, we play the winner of Spurs/Jazz on Friday.

Sam Cassell will hopefully lobby for Birch.  The long shot with talent and, dare I say it, upside.  Easy to root for that.

I was just looking over the list of FA PGs and Luke Ridnour caught my eye.  He can shoot.  Could be decent if we want to go a different route than Temple.  I'm not opposed to Temple though.  He's a known quantity and he can defend SGs too and we know he doesn't care about being at the end of the bench.

I want our SL team to beat Miami tomorrow night.  If we do, we play the winner of Spurs/Jazz on Friday.

We beat Miami last night. 85-83

Wizards fans should get together and send Ariza a giant thank you card for not coming back. Think about how different this team would be now if he had resigned.

Ariza seems pretty amicable about the whole situation. He gave Otto a lot of love on twitter for his Summer League peformances

Yeah right LOL....

Seriously?????

Lol I thought about really ****ing with everyone and putting together some fake Chick Hernandez (or whoever) tweet conforming the AI "rumor". I love you all too much--my fellow Wizards fans--to do that to you all though. This offseason has been too great--and way too long in coming--for me to **** on it, even if just for a moment. Shame on you mboyd ;-)

Remember how we all wanted Ernie & Witt fired last year? So if Ernie is finally figuring it out, does that mean Wittman will have figured it out in time for the regular season? To his credit, his coaching in the Chicago series was better than during the regular season. Maybe that means something?

I think my top 3 things to pay attention to this year are:

1. Wall and Beal's continued development

2. Randy's coaching

3. How much the old heads have left and potential health issues (see Nene)

Probably in that order

Per ESPN…Iverson coming outta retirement.  Signs with Wiz for the league minimum.

C'mon man.

9. False posts or misleading subject titles are prohibited

http://es.redskins.com/forum-10/announcement-11-updated-rules-and-guidelines/

Did we give anything up to get Blair?

We traded them the rights to 2009 second-round draft pick Emir Preldzic. I know what you're thinking. Who!? Edited by Rocky21

The reason we all love this offseason is because we already built our foundation and now we get to just fill in the gaps and pick role players and that involves much less pressure for each move.  The first pieces of the build are the most crucial and difficult to set.  We got gems in Wall and Beal and we got lucky with the Nene and Gortat trades.

Think about how unlikely those two situations were.  We got good two way seven footers in their primes without giving up high value assets.  Nene had JUST signed an extension after his best season and leading the league in FG % and he was traded at the deadline.  And we got him for JaVale, who we didn't want to keep anyway, and Nick Young, another problem child.  That doesn't even seem real in hindsight.  We got a member of our core instrumental in salvaging our rebuild and turning our locker room around for JaVale.  Not only that, Denver hurt themselves by re-upping JaVale, giving us a glimpse into what our future could have been.

And the Gortat thing was ridiculous too.  Phoenix was competitive last year and I think Alex Len played even less minutes than Porter.  They certainly could use Gortat now!  And yet we got him just in time for the season after our previous C goes down for the year, and all we gave up to get him was Oak's expiring contract and a late first round pick.

When you're coming from the bottom of the league, you need good luck like that to get good.  For 30 years we had no luck but bad luck.  I don't know how I feel about this run of good fortune.  Feels kind of like the basketball gods are trolling us and that they're about to crush us.  "Best team they've had in 30 years?  Time to destroy those wretches with injuries."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/07/17/michael-wilbon-tony-kornheiser-ponder-the-wizards-possible-pursuit-of-kevin-durant/

Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser ponder the Wizards’ possible pursuit of Kevin Durant

“Washington Wizards hiring Kevin Durant’s high school coach,” Tony Reali said to open the segment. “Something or nothing?”

“This is potentially something,” Kornheiser said. “The Wizards hired a man named David Adkins as some sort of player development guy. I watched Larry Brown hire Ed Manning at Kansas. Who do you think came with him? Danny Manning came with him and they won a championship as a result of it. The Wizards are going to try and convince Kevin Durant, when he becomes a free agent, to go home in the way LeBron went home to Cleveland, to go home to D.C. So you’re planting the seeds right now.

Potentially something.”

Wilbon offered an even hotter take.

“You’re so dead wrong,” he said. “This is not potentially something. This isKABOOM something. Can’t you recognize something when you see something in your own home town? This is huge. Notice the Wizards – you think they put in a call to Carmelo? … No, not as interested, because Carmelo’s from down the road, Carmelo’s for now. Kevin Durant is from the road. He is from D.C., not Baltimore. Kevin Durant is what they want in two years. They’re going to shape everything to get Kevin Durant. Who knows whether he’s coming, but they should do this.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

The team seems to be doing their due diligence on Durant.  Making a true effort to prepare the ground to make as attractive an offer to Durant as we can.  That's about all we can do.

The problem is that OKC is too good.  Durant can't be dissatisfied with the team around him like LeBron because they're legitimately one of the two best teams in the league this year and for the forseeable future.  All they have to do is beat San Antonio, which would be the case everywhere else except San Antonio of course.

For us to have a really good chance to get him, I think the basketball situation in OKC has to fall apart.  And with Westbrook and Ibaka being so young, I don't really expect that to happen.

But that's not in our hands.  All we can really do is better ourselves the next two years, keep the door open for him, make a quality pitch, and then prepare ourselves to be good even if he says no.

So I'm listening to 980 (The Sports Fix), and I hear them asking who had the better off-season. Redskins or Wizards?

First of all, that's a dumb question to ask for a multitude of reasons. However, since it's summer and whatnot, I give them a pass. 

Secondly, I was shocked at the number of people who said Redskins... but what shocked me more, a lot of people were mad because we didn't re-sign Ariza.

They say Pierce is old, he can't defend, he can't jump, etc. Kevin was saying how big of a piece Ariza was to our team defense, and how the defense set up the transition game to score points. 

What Sheenan doesn't realize is that it's more than athleticism that makes a good defender. I'm not going to say that Pierce is better defensively than Ariza, but what I will say is that Pierce isn't James Harden'ing out there on the defensive in. He can still defend a little. 

Furthermore, all one has to do is look at the Pacers series and see why we need somebody like Pierce. 

Cool, Ariza went 6 for 6 in Game one and we beat the Pacers comfortably. The rest of the series, 27% from the free throw line. He can't create off the dribble, he needed Wall to feed him his shot. With Pierce, he doesn't need that. Plus it also gives us a scorer who can score in the clutch moments. Which means we'll have two people (Beal) who can create their own shot without Wall.

But most of us know that because we actually watch the team...

I'd guess that the people who think we should have kept Ariza at the deal he got over Pierce probably don't follow the team/NBA that closely.

Pierce has never been able to jump and yet he's always been a good defensive player.  And Ariza, while good, was not a lockdown defender such that our defense will fall apart without him.  And we're not a fast break heavy or reliant team.  We've wanted to be since we got Wall, but we're a half court team, and we were last year.  Pierce fits better with us offensively mostly because he's a lot better offensive player than Ariza.

Ariza in a contract year was probably a little better than Pierce in a down year.  But not for the difference in the price.  And that Pacers series probably does go differently if you swap Pierce for Ariza.

And in terms of our cap and roster situation, PP for the MLE at two years is obviously better than Ariza at 4 years 8 million annually.  Not to mention getting Humphries & Blair too with Ariza's trade exception.  Sheehan is just not really paying attention if he doesn't understand that.

• Like 1