Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Birch is way more talented than you'd expect from how his college career went down. He was a big time recruit for Pittsburgh but basically big timed that team and left in a bad way and became pretty irrelevant, excelling defensively in a conference that's very much on the periphery of national attention.

He looks smaller than I expected but very athletic. He's got a little bit of Kenyon Martin in him no?

I really want him to make the team. I actually would have been fine with Ernie drafting him at 46 or whatever.

Just to recap Ernie's offseason,

- Sells our draft pick for 2 million but still gets Deonte Burton and Khem Birch, two guys I would have been happy with as our draft pick.

- Extends Gortat.

- S&Ts Ariza.

- Signs Paul Pierce on a two year MLE deal.

- And might now get us DeJuan Blair.

I like every single one of those moves.

Traded Mek and the first for Gortat and that worked out big time too. Ernie got lucky. That's pennies to get a legit starting center. Got out of the Maynor mistake unscathed. And flipped Vesely for the Professor.

Ernie has had a good year. He's ended up building a good team.

• Like 5

It's going to be hilarious if out if Rizzo, Allen and Ernie, Ernie is the one who brings us a title first. I've been saying for a couple of years now if Rizzo gets a World Series, he'll be a local legend, just short of Gibbs. Watch it be Ernie. Joe Gibbs and Ernie Grunfeld, DC sports treasures.

Birch is way more talented than you'd expect from how his college career went down. He was a big time recruit for Pittsburgh but basically big timed that team and left in a bad way and became pretty irrelevant, excelling defensively in a conference that's very much on the periphery of national attention.

He looks smaller than I expected but very athletic. He's got a little bit of Kenyon Martin in him no?

I really want him to make the team. I actually would have been fine with Ernie drafting him at 46 or whatever.

Just to recap Ernie's offseason,

- Sells our draft pick for 2 million but still gets Deonte Burton and Khem Birch, two guys I would have been happy with as our draft pick.

- Extends Gortat.

- S&Ts Ariza.

- Signs Paul Pierce on a two year MLE deal.

- And might now get us DeJuan Blair.

I like every single one of those moves.

Traded Mek and the first for Gortat and that worked out big time too. Ernie got lucky. That's pennies to get a legit starting center. Got out of the Maynor mistake unscathed. And flipped Vesely for the Professor.

Ernie has had a good year. He's ended up building a good team.

Yeah I was terrified he would overspend on Ariza and destroy all cap flexibility but he did the opposite. Ernie done some good. Gortat got a good deal and the PP signing is excellent.

I would like to see another PG added because I'm not too confident with just Miller.

Obviously its just summer league with and against a bunch of guys who will be playing in Europe, the D-League, or not at all. But Porter and Rice look comfortable. That's a good start.

I'd be happy with a Blair move as well. Basically we're building around the core, not really adding another core piece per se. If you can get the same production from Blair that Dallas did last year with 6 and 5 in around 15 min a game. That's not bad.

Yeah I was terrified he would overspend on Ariza and destroy all cap flexibility but he did the opposite. Ernie done some good. Gortat got a good deal and the PP signing is excellent.

I would like to see another PG added because I'm not too confident with just Miller.

BRB....going out to play the lotto.  NE just praised Grunfeld. 

If they can land Blair for around $4 million tops, they would still have another $4.5 million to land another player or two. I would go with a shooting/combo guard off the bench for some instant offense. Phoenix has a glut of PGs now. I would call them up.

It's amazing the luck of EG this week. He was 100% ready to tie up the cap space for Ariza and now instead of just one overpaid player, it will be possible to get 3 good rotation players to create much needed depth.

Well, I'm not saying he's illiterate. But the story says as told to Lee Jenkins. Dude has a PR team, as he should. That probably means somebody wrote this for him based on some back and forth and a little coaching on what to say. Its not like he's joining a ready to win team this time. So, the "hate" should be less this time around compared to taking the easier path.

I don't know if he made a 180 or has better people helping him craft these messages. There is nothing wrong with that. CEOs use that same method all the time. They practice with their PR people before speeches and announcements. 

LeBron's team is his old HS buddies ( I have met them). He was hungry so he left, he now is more volatile than ever. He got fed.

You ever been to a summer basketball camp? It's basically that. Where youngsters can get burn and attention from the coaches.

Ohh ok. Fans can go to the wizards Summer league games at the verizon center right? I mean I doubt many people show up, cause of vacations and stuff.

DeJuan Blair is a little over rated and seriously undersized. He's a rotation big but not a real backup should the starter, Gortat, go down with injury. I'd love to have him but I still would like a back up center on the roster with some size defense and rebounding. Seraphin has been dreadful so he kind of worries me. Wizards also need a backup point guard, or at least a combo guard, because Andre Miller is another rotation player that isn't really cut out to start should Wall go down. The Wizards offense, as we have seen, doesn't work without good PG play.

I'd rather bring back Booker than Seraphin if we could get a real backup center. I want Gooden back too, more than Harrington.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/07/15/stephen-a-smith-thinks-kevin-durant-could-end-up-with-the-wizards/

Stephen A. Smith thinks Kevin Durant could end up with the Wizards

This was Monday afternoon. Brian Mitchell asked what everyone has been asking.

“With LeBron going back to Cleveland, everybody here in D.C. is thinking about Kevin Durant in 2016,” Mitchell said. “The Wiz seem to be jockeying to be in that sweepstakes. Who are they going to have to compete against when that happens?”

“I don’t think anybody, to be quite honest with you,” Smith said.

“Obviously the New York Knicks would be in the mix and what have you. But there are folks that I’ve spoken to that are relatively close to Kevin Durant that tell me if he were to decide to leave Oklahoma City, it would  be for the nation’s capital.

That’s the kind of dude he is. That’s a place that he would consider.

“I certainly don’t want to sit here as a reporter and insider and try to give indications that he’s planning on leaving Oklahoma City,” Smith said. “I don’t know that to be sure. I don’t know that to be the case. But I was told that if there is a team that would be strongly considered, it is the Washington Wizards, and him returning home.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Check out the Four Horsemen and add Lebron to the search.

I know about his boys. I've known for years. I also know they are, or at least was, working with World Wide Wes too. 

But what I'm saying is that they had to have a PR Firm working with them this time. Or maybe after the The Decision. 

I know we think PR is just that simple sometime, but I'm certain that this time they had a PR Team working with them. 

Nope, that is his team man.

No PR firm, just him and his boys from what I have been told.

His departure didn't need a PR firm this time. He understands that he could not have been more absurd than last time, no reason to pay someone to fix something that is so easily fixed.

Related but OT:

My wife asked me why I didn't pay the guy to change my air filter...I took her out to the car and showed her how insanely easy it is to change. I got a better air filter, and I spent half what I would have for them to change it.

• Like 1

There is no way Kevin Durant knows what he's doing in the summer of 2016 yet, much less anyone else.

This is something we're going to be agonizing over without ever knowing anything until that summer gets here.

Unless of course OKC rips off two straight championships or something. Then the dream would probably be dead.