Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Zeller playing on ESPN, Isaiah Austin playing on ESPN2.

Zeller is making an impact early.

Nerlens finishes with 19 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and two blocks on 7-10 shooting. Just one turnover and one personal foul. Monstrously efficient. He's the first overall pick.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 09:16 PM ----------

Really dude?? He was the number 6 pick in the draft two years ago, the team he is on is 11-34 terrible and he doesn't even play in games. It would be one thing if this was a playoff caliber team in meaningful games and he was a rotation player, but they aren't and he still doesn't play at all. It's not too early to call someone like that a bust.

A year and a half is absolutely to short a time to declare someone a bust. Especially a raw big man like Ves.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

It would be interesting to see just what we could get in return for Vesely. Can't imagine it would be anything of note.

My thoughts on Vesely is that even if he has some redeemable qualities, they will never be developed under this current regime. If you are a fan of Vesley the player, you might want to hope he gets traded so he has a chance at realizing some of his "upside".

On a sidenote, would anybody be shocked if Ted wrote "since a team is interested in Vesely, it proves he's worth keeping" in a future blog?

It would piss me off if we trade Ves and he ends up becoming a player for someone else. It's what the Wizards have been doing for decades. It's a big reason why the Wizards are the poster child for the NBA's third world.

This is one of the best games I've ever seen Zeller play. He's making a huge impact on D and on the glass. Runs the floor so damn well. Wow. He's really good.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 09:26 PM ----------

Man, I hope Duncan isn't seriously hurt.

Me too, and not just for my fantasy team. He and Dirk are my favorite non Wizards. I want to see SA get one last ring with him.

Talk about can't get right. I know beal is out, but looking at the box score, I don't believe it would've mattered. Can't see the game but could see the Spurs score bolt up towards the end of the half. I said this 5 game stretch between Memphis to Brooklyn would give me a better idea; all I can see is "not enough". Tonight, not even close.

26% shooting is completely unprofessional. I refuse to give up on Wall, and feel its ridiculous to call him a bust or even consider trading him. But we absolutely need somebody else on this team that can score. Same way getting a shooting guard in the draft was a must, we have to go after a big man that can score as well. Keep the Wall-Beal backcourt, everyone else is starting to look like trade bait. I still like Webster and Okafor, but it would be better for us if they weren't starters.

How long are we planning to rebuild for? Are we like on a 40 year plan or something???

Edit: Serious...when does Ted expect us to be contenders? Is there any talk of a timetable here?

Edited by Renegade7

John Wall - 21 / 9 / 5. I can live with that. Thank you Wizards for getting mad enough not to get blown out by 50, because you were well on your way. That was a nice little distraction from psychology homework...

21 points is great, it's the 22 shots that's the problem. We don't need Wall turning into Iverson :) I didn't really expect the Wizards to stand a chance against the Spurs though so he likely shot so much just to keep the team in it because someone had to do the scoring.

Edited by Destino

We can't hit open shots. Particularly open 3s. We need Beal back. And we need to get us some damn players that can shoot.

Among other things, I want a PF that can face up and shoot from range and I want a 3 that can reliably hit all of the open shots he's going to get.

But we need a long term 5. Which is the hardest by far to get. Oak, Nene, and Seraphin are not the long term answer IMO.

It's going to take years of building to get the team we need. We've only got two pieces.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

OT but Kidd-Gilchrist got ****ed up bad tonight. Taken off on a stretcher by paramedics, no movement.

That's horrific. I hope he's alright. If anyone can work himself back from that, it's him.

21 points is great, it's the 22 shots that's the problem. We don't need Wall turning into Iverson :) I didn't really expect the Wizards to stand a chance against the Spurs though so he likely shot so much just to keep the team in it because someone had to do the scoring.

Yep, that's exactly what I feel happened. Not only can I not blame the guy, I commend him for doing that. Watching Nene's box score of 0-6 from the field in the first half and us only having 26 points, enough was enough. 10-22 averages out for not bad for somebody that can't shoot, too. :)

I turned the game on when the Wizards was getting absolutley destroyed, I thought it was going too be one of those epic Spurs beat downs that they always give us. Looking at the box score I saw we made it a game and Wall's 22 shot attempts. I like Wall being aggresive and looking too score taking more shots trying too make plays and not pass the ball soon he gets up half court and run in the corner only never too be seen again. Wall has be struggling the last few games because all teams been looking too do is prevent him from going too the basket and not worrying about him taking any shots. It's kind of hard too get assist when no one respects your offensive game and you don't really half any star players like Rondos Celtics or just a brilliant playmaker like a young Jason Kidd. If continue too be more aggressive then it will only open it up for his teammates getting more open shots and racking up the assist.

Nene is not getting the job done he has been looking very average the last week or 2.

This is a great center class. I'm feeling about 9 draftable centers or so:

1.) Noel

2.) Zeller

3.) Len

4.) Austin

5.) Plumlee

6.) Gobert

7.) Olynyk

8.) Withey

9.) Adams

I think we really need to come away with a center from the class. I kind of like Olynyk and Withey later in the class, maybe the mid 20s. Olynyk has some Dirk in him, Withey maybe a Brendan Haywood. Both are seriously flawed on one end of the court but brilliant on the other end. Olynyk would be a nice scoring big man but you'd have to cover him up big time since he's so slow and such a horrible defender.

Kyrie Irving is so much better than Wall. Ridiculously good in both half court and full court.

Different type of PG. He's in the Gilbert Arenas mold.

And like us, the Cavs future is just as bleak even with Irving. They need additional help.

Only a matter of time before Lebron has him down in Miami LOL. Seriously.