Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Cousins has his immaturity issues, but the one thing you'll NEVER have to question is his effort on the court. Dude wants to win at all costs. If there's a chance to bring him in, Wizards need to get on it ASAP.

Anyways, I didn't watch the game last night but I was more than happy in seeing Crawford hitting the GW 3. 5-2 in the last 7 is something to build off of. The minute we won vs. OKC, something changed.

I am a huge Cousins fan but come on man what did JaVale do here? How many times hes been suspended? Hitting, Kicking players, arguing with coaches and hell just being a *******? Pretty much none Javale was just young and goffey.

I agree witht he locker room being different and they where the Veteran Talent both under 25 years old, thats not good at all.

JaVale wasn't an ******* or problem child, he was just the biggest punchline in the league. It's demoralizing when your C is the Shaqtin' A Fool MVP. Cousins is actually really good and is a pretty smart player. He's just a mean, tempermental dude. All things considered, I like his nastiness and I'd rather have someone who is difficult than someone who is a fool.

I think Cousins could use a change in scenery and if you give him a coach he respects and teammates he loves he'll behave better. There will still be problems here and there, he's a confrontational guy. But he'll work through them as they come and he'll actually be motivated to make it work with John.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 08:45 AM ----------

All we need is one win and we can pass Cleveland and Charlotte to get out of the cellar.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

Also, I think it's worth mentioning again that Cousins actually wants to be here. Can you believe it? A potentially dominant young talent that wants to come to the worst team in the league. If Cousins were a FA dollars to donuts he would sign with us. It seems like a good match. We want him and need a player like him to make a leap and he wants to play for us.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning again that Cousins actually wants to be here...We want him and need a player like him to make a leap and he wants to play for us.

When did he say that? link?

Personally, id love for cousins to come here. Him and wall would be fun to watch. Cousins reminds me of amare stoudamire (pre-injury)

Edited by Shabby

JaVale wasn't an ******* or problem child, he was just the biggest punchline in the league. It's demoralizing when your C is the Shaqtin' A Fool MVP. Cousins is actually really good and is a pretty smart player. He's just a mean, tempermental dude. All things considered, I like his nastiness and I'd rather have someone who is difficult than someone who is a fool.

I think Cousins could use a change in scenery and if you give him a coach he respects and teammates he loves he'll behave better. There will still be problems here and there, he's a confrontational guy. But he'll work through them as they come and he'll actually be motivated to make it work with John.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 08:45 AM ----------

All we need is one win and we can pass Cleveland and Charlotte to get out of the cellar.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

Also, I think it's worth mentioning again that Cousins actually wants to be here. Can you believe it? A potentially dominant young talent that wants to come to the worst team in the league. If Cousins were a FA dollars to donuts he would sign with us. It seems like a good match. We want him and need a player like him to make a leap and he wants to play for us.

I agree witht he talent Cousins is a beast but you compared his crazy attitude too Javale

I'd take cousins in a heart beat. Sure he's a bit of a hot head but in the NBA if you have a reputation its hard to shake and often times you get unfairly judged. not saying cousins doesn't deserve the criticism but to me its worth it. Cousins= Rasheed Wallace.

When did he say that? link?

Personally, id love for cousins to come here. Him and wall would be fun to watch. Cousins reminds me of amare stoudamire (pre-injury)

I don't remember where I read it. I believe it was when he asked to be traded a couple of weeks ago. Apparently he asked to be traded specifically to DC. He wants to play with John.

EDIT: http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/12/30/3817542/demarcus-cousins-trade-rumors-washington-wizards-kings

Until now, it appears. USA Today's Sam Amick, the most plugged-in resource for anything Sacramento Kings, reports that Camp Cousins might be itching to come to D.C.
Specifically, two people close to the situation who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation said a trade to the Washington Wizards would be considered ideal for Cousins and Fegan because Cousins could rejoin former Kentucky teammate and fellow [Dan] Fegan client, point guard John Wall. The Wizards, who are known to have expressed recent interest in Cousins, have been told by the Kings that they have no intention of trading him.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 01:22 PM ----------

I can see a Cousins and Amare comparison but Amare wasn't as big and strong as Cousins and he was a lot faster than him. Cousins isn't as athletic or finesse, much more of a true banger and rebounder. But as far as the offensive skills and the clean footwork go, they are similar.

I think Cousins is in a similar mold to Kevin Love, only more of a C than a PF. Longer and a lot heavier and not as instinctive or as good a shooter. But they're both rebounders and bangers with great passing skills and nicely developed inside--out scoring tools.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 01:24 PM ----------

Cousins has a body kind of like young Shaq (before he got pretty fat). He's a pretty unique player all things considered. Hard to find a really clean comparison for him. There haven't been many guys with his size and raw power paired with all of his finesse skills.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Unless there is a games played this season they're factoring in, that's just asinine.

On cousins game...He actually reminds me of Tim Duncan without a brain. He is brilliant from the low post and can make long 2 pters (although he takes way more than he ought to). If could could put Andre Miller's brain in Cousins, you'd have the most dominating bigman in the game, and I don't think Howard would be able to guard him if he had that level of competence.

Yeah it's dumb. Almost as dumb as saying anyone other than Durant is better than Rose. It's an awful ranking.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 03:14 PM ----------

If the rest of Jordan Crawford's game was on the same level as his ability to take and make incredibly difficult shots, he would be the new Kobe.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 03:17 PM ----------

How many times has anyone else opened this thread and saw the posts about signing Adam Morrison and been like WTF!? before realizing you were on the first page?

Is this fools gold or is this team really playing like a competitive NBA franchise since Wall returned?

We don't know. The sample size is too small to say for certain one way or another. The only way to answer it is to wait and see if they can play .500 ball for the rest of the season. I can say that they've looked real good lately and it's been a blast watching them play. It's nice to be able to say that.

Oddly the team as currently put together is short term. I wonder what they do if this squad really does keep it together.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

You are correct that is great. :ols: he's making Crawford look like he has decent shot selection.

Is this fools gold or is this team really playing like a competitive NBA franchise since Wall returned?

The good thing about our resurgence is that it'll drive up the value of players, that while are helping, aren't going to put us over the top. Ideally, Ariza continues to knock down 3s and plays decent defense and we can send him away for an expiring, maybe a future 2nd as well. Ideally, with a decent SF in this upcoming draft, we should make a play for Cousins next year, assuming the kings/sonics continue to struggle. Okafor+'14 unprotected pick (I assume we'll be above .500 and a playoff caliber team when healthy)+some crap for cousins.

I think the current team would be above .500 had Wall never had a setback. Barring some 15-0 run we go on we're not going to make the playoffs. The improved play is encouraging. Ted is gonna start raising ticket prices, lol.

He's worth it IMO. He's immature but he doesn't do the kind of crap off the court that Blatche does.

The difference between Cousins and JaVale is that Cousins is really good and his potential is dominant. JaVale wasn't good enough to live with the negatives he brought to the table. The locker room is in a different place today than it was when JaVale and Blatche were here. Back then, they were the veteran talent. Bring Cousins in and he'd have a pro like Nene to show him the way and his best friend Wall to help him out.

It got better because we got rid of those players that were contributing to an unprofessional atmosphere, Arenas as well. It wasn't the clubbing that was the final straw with me with Blatche, it was the refusing to go back in the game then flip starting him the next game that drove me to the brink of proclaiming this franchise a failure forever. Wizards don't have to go after Cousins to get over the top, there are other options then selling out on your image of a team where character actually matters before you even enter the building.

You risk ruining the culture change if it doesn't work, that's not worth it.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 04:59 PM ----------

A lot of close games getting to this point, without any bonified stars and a lot of young developing talent. Instead of looking like a burning trash heep, the wizards actually look like a team rebuilding again. That is in big part to wall helping be that extra little umph to make a difference from losing close games to winning close games. Also spent a lot of the season with horrible PG play, and a lot of that was due to injuries. Getting temple made a difference, just in time for wall and price to come back.

Edited by Renegade7

Might as well make Dwight Howard an offer too. He doesn't seem to be enjoying the spotlight as much as he'd hoped. :ols:

Yeah I was thinking about this the other day. It sounds ridiculous, but I think DC is one of the better fits for Dwight in the NBA.

1.) He can be the man on the team and get his looks as the first option instead of having to play second fiddle to a Kobe or DRose or wherever.

2.) DC is a great city, huge media market, you get to play in front of the President. Great big man tradition here but it was long enough ago that he's not going to have to sit there and live up to Wes Unseld's legacy or Elvin Hayes or whoever. He'd get to write his own legacy.

3.) He'd have a transcendent young talent as a pass first PG starting to come into his own. Someone with limitless defensive potential to cover the perimeter and someone who can get him the ball in any kind of spot he wants and pull a double team off of Dwight as the defense has to collapse to try and stop him.

4.) He'd have a super talented young SG to space the floor for him without ever dominating the ball, play good perimeter D to keep the wings from teeing off on the bigs (one of the problems they've been having in LA). Beal's the kind of player they would have loved to have in Orlando to surround Dwight, when they built the whole team around him.

5.) He'd have the ideal big man to partner with in Nene. Someone who does the dirty work of big man basketball with no ounce of selfishness. He'll box out and Dwight will crash the boards. He'll rotate and play good positional defense. He'll score inside and out and make the most out of limited shots. If you're an All Star C used to being "the man," I struggle to think of a PF you would rather play with than Nene.

6.) A solid bench already in place so you could compete right off instead of having to continue making a lot of moves like LA was going to have to do.

I think Dwight could single-handedly transform us into a contender. He'd pretty much be a perfect fit here. Actually, given the strength of players 2, 3, and 4 in that construction around Dwight + the surprising depth of the bench, Dwight could make us the favorite. We'd suddenly have the talent to match up with OKC and Miami.

You are dreaming. Dwight is not coming to the wizards. No matter how you spell it out, we are the wizards. That is a deterrent in and of itself. Secondly, adding Dwight to any team makes them a contender. Milwaukee, New Orleans, Minnesota, Carolina, etc. just about every single team would be automatically better with him on it. He can choose wherever he wants, and I am willing to bet it is where the money is at. Dallas.

Yeah, I know it seems ridiculous he would come to DC given our rep. But that doesn't change the fact the pieces in place here already are ideal for him. Will that make a difference to him? Probably not.

I agree he could transform almost any team into a contender. Except the Lakers... But some teams have a better supporting cast in place for him than others, and we would actually have one of the best to offer him.

Money isn't going to be the primary decision maker for him because he's going to get a max deal anywhere he goes. LA is the only one that's got the right to sign him to an extra year. He's going to want to contend for championships. He's going to want to play with at least one other big time talent, probably a PG. He will go where he can make that happen.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 08:19 PM ----------

FYI Kentucky is playing on ESPN tonight at 9:00.

So here is what i would really like to see our team look like by the end of the season:

Wall, Temple

Beal, Crawford

Gay, Singleton/Webster

Nene, Singleton/Booker

Okafor, Seraphin

We trade Ariza, Vesely/Booker + 1st for Gay. Singleton becomes our SF stopper. He can still play defense. I dont think his defense is that far from Ariza's, and his offensive game certainly couldnt be much worse. I like Booker, but he just cant stay healthy. Might as well try to pick up something for him. If we cant, i would keep him any day over Ves. Ves is a matchup problem 1 out of ever 5 games. That is not worth a roster spot. Price becomes expendable with Crawford coming off the bench playing the combo guard. Martin could be resigned on the cheap as a reserve. The hardest decision would be what to do with Webster. He is worth a better contract than what he has now... but is he a better starter than Gay on this team? No, i dont think so. He may be a cap casualty.

Now regarding the cap situation... Next season we trade Okafor/Serahin + something for whatever big man we can get, or just to clear out space. .... Cousins?

Memphis just did a multiple player trade to get under the luxery tax, and kept gay and their starters out of it. Looks like they're going to try and keep that core together going forward.

I wouldn't be against just drafting someone and continuing with the plan to develop your talent to hit their prime around the same time. This at least gives us the flexibility to fill in the gaps with veterans if we have to.

If a trade comes up where it makes to ship say our first and singleton, I wouldn't be against it. Just don't get desperate and compromise the culture change. Because that's the biggest reason we can't get anyone to come and just sign here...

I should have said that my proposal assumes we continue with our current trend of winning' date=' and kick ourselves out of the lottery.[/quote']

That's a big reason why I'm not totally against a trade. The earlier we trade that pick, the higher the value I believe it will have before people really realise we're starting to get our **** together.

Edited by Renegade7