Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I love that word...

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 12:58 PM ----------

I want Josh Smith so bad. If we could somehow get him and like Kevin Martin, we'd at least be able to score and play a little D

Kevin Martin could not cover you.

I like Josh Smith, but he should never ever ever play on a bad or rebuilding team. He would almost certainly go into business for himself and just start jacking bad jumpers. The Wizards are a team that should never take on players who have that gunner gene.

Nene, Ariza and Okafor actually have the right kind of attitude for this team. They just aren't that good and are really over-priced.

The Laker's run an offense that doesn't fit their all star roster and they lose a ton of games. Everyone looks at the coach. The Wizards run an offense that doesn't fit their roster and it's because they have zero talent. People are inclined to feel sorry for the coach thinking him a victim. Wittman has never been a good head coach! This team is trying to run a motion offense which they showed off in the preseason. If you've watched the games they have clearly succeed in getting guys wide open shots. The problem is this roster can't shoot worth a damn and when Wall gets back.... the starters will likely be even worse at long and mid range shooting. Nene isn't exactly a stretch four either even if he can hit a mid range shot at times.

The roster isn't good but the coaching is worse than the talent. Wittman doesn't know how to use his limited roster and he's installed an offense that makes no sense. He's taken a bad team and made them so much worse.

Edited by Destino

Destino - TBH, I don't know how many coaches out there could maximize the most out of this current roster. It's REALLY bad. I'd like to give Witt a chance with at least Wall/Nene (or at least Wall) to see if there is any improvement.

I'm not sure that this roster stands out as particularly terrible compared to 2010-2011.

The team has got to win soon. We need to beat the Jazz on Saturday. Everyone needs a win. 0-8 was our worst start in franchise history. It happened last year.

In the NBA bad teams do eventually have a hot shooting night and beat someone they shouldn't. I would not, however, put any money on the Wizards winning any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see that worst start mark reach a new and humiliating low this season.

Maybe.

I think Wittman is already quick to hook guys. Look at our 15 man rotations...

What we need is a real coach who can instill a real NBA rotation and heirarchy and structure to the team.

We need a coach who won't be over-playing roster filler, bad journeymen vets over the young talent we need to be developing and instilling confidence and familiarity in.

You can not develop in the NBA on the bench. And LKB was right, you can not develop 8 guys at once. It just doesn't work.

We need to probably cut bait on most of our young guys, pick a few core ones to stick with, and then move forward with their development being priority #1. We are not a good enough organization to pull an OKC and have 8 young guys all figure out how to play together.

Trouble is, we have no FA drawing power. We're a laughing stock. The rest of the league peers into our situation every now and then and either laughs, or goes," good god that's a mess... put the lid back on that."

Also, I think OJ Mayo was a trade, not a FA.

It may suck to hear it, but it's the truth that we have no FA drawing power. This is a clown show that vets who expect to play good BBall and want to win at all would never, ever come here. And those are the type of Vets we need to surround our developing players with. I'm talking about mid to low tier decent FAs. Would we ever be able to sign Chris Kaman or Elton Brand? Would Ramon Sessions? Would Andrei Kirilenko or Brandon Roy? Not for a second. Why would they?

So we can't even fill out our roster with desirable role players to fill in the cracks and help our young guy develop. Our attempts to force decent vets here through trades badly slanted against us have been abject failures. Ariza and Okafor were pretty crap. Nene has barely played.

We can't make open shots consistently.

We got bottom of the barrel FAs and young guys with no confidence and no scoring instincts, no real understanding of offense.

And I seriously don't know if this draft class can even help us, even if we got the #1 overall pick. The best guy in the class probably won't even play BBall this year and the other guys are defensive types and huge long term projects.

I feel the John Wall era falling apart. I honestly don't know if it can realistically be saved. Nothing has broken our way and we haven't helped ourselves at all by leaving incompetent people at GM and HC.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 09:28 AM ----------

I think Beal will be alright. I'm not worried about his development being off track yet. Rookies usually suck at shooting. He's just got no feel yet. He'll get better at that in time. I like the effort on the defensive end he's been putting in. Still getting burned, but still fighting through screens and contesting shots and he's been getting more effective on the ball.

Beal and Wall are the least of our issues IMO.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 09:36 AM ----------

How would you all specifically fix our mess. We're playing fantasy GM, let's just assume EG and Wittman are fired and are replaced with good people. All of us want that, let's get that out of the way.

Alright, now assume we're getting the first, second, or third overall pick. I think this is likely. We're obviously the overwhelming favorite for the first overall pick right now, and assuming that, we'll pick no worse than third.

What specific roster moves would you try and make to fix our mess?

Your post deserves alot of praise and the bolded is what has made me turn the television off on this team each time.

I hear Wittman calling this team out for the simplest **** that they should be drilling in practice?!

Oh, and a GM and HC model... how about plucking away at the Bobcats squad. They've already won two games I believe and are on the rise. How teams keep turning lucky ahead of our very own Wizards is beyond me?!

My favorite part:

None of this was ever Jamison's fault. Certainly you can't blame Jamison for Arenas blowing out his knee, bringing guns to the locker room, and getting suspended for a year. He just happened to be there, the way he happened to be there for LeBron's meltdown, the way he happened to be there when Team USA lost to Greece.

That is to say, the way Typhoid Mary always happened to be in the kitchen when people got sick.

:ols:

Your post deserves alot of praise and the bolded is what has made me turn the television off on this team each time.

I hear Wittman calling this team out for the simplest **** that they should be drilling in practice?!

Oh, and a GM and HC model... how about plucking away at the Bobcats squad. They've already won two games I believe and are on the rise. How teams keep turning lucky ahead of our very own Wizards is beyond me?!

It's crazy. Every time I try and tell myself to be patient, a Cleveland or a Charlotte or a New Orleans goes from being awful to starting to build something the next darn year. It makes it hard to ignore the fact it shouldn't take ten years to rebuild.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

It's happening in Basketball and Football for DC. Other teams seem to be able to rebuild faster. Must be something in the Potomac.

It's because you can't fix problems by throwing money at them in basketball and football like you can in baseball. You have to have good people in charge. Getting the best players in basketball isn't possible with money alone.

I see the NBA having four or five basic types of players

1.) The big contract vets you really really want.

2.) The big contract vets you don't want at all.

3.) The moderate to low contract vets you really want.

4.) The moderate to low contract vets you don't want at all

5.) The developmental young guys whose value is based on potential.

The problem with the Wizards as is--they have no ability to get players from categories 1 & 3. So they have a bunch of guys from 2 and 4 and 5, and hope that the guys from 5 will turn into 1s and 3s is the only thing that sustains their fans.

The team has got to win soon. We need to beat the Jazz on Saturday. Everyone needs a win. 0-8 was our worst start in franchise history. It happened last year.

Love the sig. Everybody should email and tweet Leonsis and include the picture.......every single time.

Edited by Buford

It's happening in Basketball and Football for DC. Other teams seem to be able to rebuild faster. Must be something in the Potomac.

Mike Rizzo

Ernie Grunfeld

Bruce Allen

One of the above is not like the others.

Rizzo is an actual a GM that is well respected around the league and has a long term plan. Grunfeld is an idiot who is considered a joke by most NBA professionals. Bruce Allen is a "GM" but doesn't make personnel decisions and instead is in charge of pep-rally preparations.

Hmmmmm, I just can't figure out why the Wiz and Redskins are having such a hard time rebuilding . . . .

IMO one of the biggest problems in the NBA and what plagues a lot of teams, including the Wiz, is the dreaded one and done rule for college players. Teams are forced to take players that still need multiple years to develop and have to decide on giving out big contracts to players based on potential. The NBA desperately needs a rule similar to the NFL or MLB to help teams build with younger players that are further along in their development.

IMO one of the biggest problems in the NBA and what plagues a lot of teams, including the Wiz, is the dreaded one and done rule for college players. Teams are forced to take players that still need multiple years to develop and have to decide on giving out big contracts to players based on potential. The NBA desperately needs a rule similar to the NFL or MLB to help teams build with younger players that are further along in their development.

How is the one and done rule hurting the Wizards? Specifically, which players? Wall, Beal, and Ariza are the current guys who fall in that category.

Wall was more than deserving of the #1 pick and has shown he can flat out play in this league.

Ariza left college 8-9 years ago, so this statement doesn't really ring true for him now.

Beal...he's 7 games into his career. WAY too early to give up on him.

How is the one and done rule hurting the Wizards? Specifically, which players? Wall, Beal, and Ariza are the current guys who fall in that category.

Wall was more than deserving of the #1 pick and has shown he can flat out play in this league.

Ariza left college 8-9 years ago, so this statement doesn't really ring true for him now.

Beal...he's 7 games into his career. WAY too early to give up on him.

Look at all the teams running in place in this league. Teams are forced to have to pick between 19-20 year-old players that are so raw and they have a short window to develop them before having to decide whether to lock up huge amounts of cap room. The Wizards have had this problem when drafting over the last several years when not drafting #1. I'm actually a big supporter of Beal, advocated drafting him over everyone else and I won't give up in him any time soon. In fact, I think given his age, the criticisms of him in this thread have been comical. I just think it would be better for teams to know more about players than 30 games in college.

As far as Wall goes, he is a good player, but still can't shoot and still has a lot to prove. Yet, I think after this season he's up for his extension already. Is he a max player?

The one and done rule has not done a damn thing with NBA development.

Talent is talent. Some players are talented, some are not. David Aldridge had a great article over the summer where he actually analyzed HS, One and Done, 2 and done, 3 years, and 4 year players since KG entered the NBA in '95. The better NBA players actually come from the HS and one and done types.

The real problem with the Wizards, and a lot of teams, is that there are not that many great-franchise changing players in each draft. If you do not have a pick in the top 4, then you are messed up most years.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 10:10 PM ----------

another 2 years of college would not make Kyrie Irving or Kevin Durant a better player, just like another year would not make Tyreke Evans or Demar Derozean better players.

Nick Young went to USC for 3 years, look at him.