Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Let me ask yall (after seeing some of your lineups)....how do you think Blatche would take to coming off of the bench? IMO (if he's around to start next season), we have to play him. I can see a situation of him sulking and playing HORRIBLE basketball if he's moved to the bench. I don't see him accepting or thriving in the 6th man role. If that happens, we'll end up having him on the roster for a lot longer than most of us want.

that is a good point...you could bring Williams off the bench

We're not going to draft anyone that could potentially eat into Blatche's minutes, so that point is essentially moot.

People just need to face the facts that:

A) No one wants Blatche around the league. There is very little, if any, demand for him.

B) He's on a good contract

C) Booker is absolutely not a feasible replacement for him, unless we get a center with some semblance of offensive ability

D) Any trade we make is likely going to target McGee, because teams are still intrigued by his athleticism.

Blatche will be here for the foreseeable future.

We're not going to draft anyone that could potentially eat into Blatche's minutes, so that point is essentially moot.

that is a pretty naive statement....we are very likely to draft Blatche's eventual replacement....whether we trade up for Williams, have Kanter fall to us, or take someone at #18...we will be taking a PF at some point in this draft.

that is a pretty naive statement....we are very likely to draft Blatche's eventual replacement....whether we trade up for Williams, have Kanter fall to us, or take someone at #18...we will be taking a PF at some point in this draft.
Williams is a 3 who can probably play some 4 if needed. Not likely to take Blatche's minutes any more than a player like Rashard would.

I don't see Kanter playing anything other than C, though he can clearly play the 4 if needed as well. Everything I've heard is that he's still growing.

I don't disagree that we could draft a PF later in the draft, but like I said that's not likely to cut into Blatche's minutes any more than Booker did.

Edited by MonkFan8

You absolutely can't trade Javale and #6 for Derrick Williams. DWill isn't better than both Javale and Kanter and you need to come away with either Kanter or Bismack at 6 or else we don't have a center and we're not going to find one as good as Javale in FA this year.

Javale still has room to grow, he's only got a year of starts under his belt. But Javale can absolutely be upgraded if the opportunity arises.

Derrick Williams and Enes Kanter is better than Javale McGee and Enes Kanter. DW and EK is better than JM + EK + 18.

Who cares if that leaves us with a bunch of rookies starting next year? There isn't going to be a next year anyway and besides Javale gives us what, 3 or 4 more wins than a rookie?

DW might style himself a 3 because he wants to shoot and doesn't have the post repertoire yet. But he's got the body of a 4--he's 250 pounds...

I've been watching a lot of Klay Thompson the past two days to try and get a feel for him. I like him as a prospect but I'm not completely sold on him. This is what I see as strengths and weaknesses from watching his youtube videos:

Strengths

- elite length for a 2, 6'7 with an 8'7.5 standing reach

- excellent stroke, confident in his shot

- deep range out to NBA 3

- elite FT shooter

- good ball handler, excels going to basket with left hand

- smart player, can make adjustments on the fly

- extremely productive college player

- excellent scoring instincts

- high effort on offensive end of the court

Weaknesses

- not a very good defender all things considered, very spotty

- was able to do 5 reps, but definitely needs to add strength

- shot selection isn't great and subpar shooting %s reflect this

- not an elite athlete like some of the other starting 2s in the NBA

- needs to diversify his attack when going to the rim, always goes left

- not an especially creative or powerful finisher

- lacks a mid range game for the most part

- needs to develop as a catch and shooter, learn to cope with a reduced role in an offense

- combine drill times fairly slow, footspeed comparable to Derrick Williams'

- first step nothing to write home about

- not a great rebounder for a player with his length

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 08:31 AM ----------

All things considered, I would target Thompson at 18 as one of my top choices if available. I'd take him over Singleton because he's got more NBA skills and value as a shooter than Singleton does as a defender. Singleton's poor offensive numbers and TS% bother me more than Thompson's sketchy defense plus Thompson's FT shooting will be valuable late in games.

Williams is a 3 who can probably play some 4 if needed. Not likely to take Blatche's minutes any more than a player like Rashard would.

I don't see Kanter playing anything other than C, though he can clearly play the 4 if needed as well. Everything I've heard is that he's still growing.

I don't disagree that we could draft a PF later in the draft, but like I said that's not likely to cut into Blatche's minutes any more than Booker did.

You've got it ass backwards....Williams is a PF who could play SF against slower/bigger SFs....depending on the defensive matchups. He called himself a SF to improve his draft stock being the top 4 picks belong to teams that don't have a huge need at PF, but do at SF

Kanter is definitely better suited to play PF, although he could play some center as well if his defense improves. You would much rather have your defensive liability at PF rather than C.

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 09:53 AM ----------

You absolutely can't trade Javale and #6 for Derrick Williams. DWill isn't better than both Javale and Kanter and you need to come away with either Kanter or Bismack at 6 or else we don't have a center and we're not going to find one as good as Javale in FA this year.

Javale still has room to grow, he's only got a year of starts under his belt. But Javale can absolutely be upgraded if the opportunity arises.

Derrick Williams and Enes Kanter is better than Javale McGee and Enes Kanter. DW and EK is better than JM + EK + 18.

Who cares if that leaves us with a bunch of rookies starting next year? There isn't going to be a next year anyway and besides Javale gives us what, 3 or 4 more wins than a rookie?

DW might style himself a 3 because he wants to shoot and doesn't have the post repertoire yet. But he's got the body of a 4--he's 250 pounds...

you aren't getting the #2 pick (and williams) without including the #6 pick in the process. Javale is totally expendable if Marc Gasol is our main target this offseason (which I'm starting to think is the case). Not to mention, how do you know that Williams isn't better than Kanter + Javale (I'm not saying he is...because we don't know what type players they are going to be) but Kanter could be a huge bust and not get any playing time and Williams could be the next great PF....we don't know yet.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Finding-a-Niche-for-Enes-Kanter-3743/

Concerning stuff and DX makes a good point. Kanter is a huge unknown being away from basketball for almost two years. But teams have taken players high based on HS tape in the past, it's only recently that everyone has had a year of college film to work with.

The defesive effort in those clips was pitiful. Kanter looked asleep on his feet and that's not what you want to see from a lottery pick. He'll need to ace the interviews to prove that he's got the motor for the NBA. You have to keep it in perspective though, that's HS footage from when he was 17 at a very low level of competition, he's probably a very different player and person now. If I had to guess, I would say he was playing down to the level of his competition in those films because there wasn't really anybody giving great effort. There were what, 15 people in that crowd? Even my HS mustered more fan support than that. Still, that's not a good excuse for playing so lackadaisically. No excuse for not boxing out and letting his opponents get so many second chances when he's the biggest and strongest guy on the floor and has the best hands.

I still like Kanter at 6 ahead of Biyombo but the gap is close. For me it comes down to what Kanter has done at the highest levels in world competition and at the Hoops summit and I'd basically draft him for his rare offensive ability and strength for a big. His scoring talent will translate to the NBA and he can be a high scoring 4 or 5. That's a lot of upside for a class that's generally lacking in it. I think he'll definitely be there at 6. I think he'd give us some actual offensive punch in the paint, paired with either Derrick Williams or Javale McGee on the front line. I wouldn't want to pair him with Blatche though--too defensively soft to do that.

I've been watching a lot of Klay Thompson the past two days to try and get a feel for him. I like him as a prospect but I'm not completely sold on him. This is what I see as strengths and weaknesses from watching his youtube videos:

Strengths

- elite length for a 2, 6'7 with an 8'7.5 standing reach

- excellent stroke, confident in his shot

- deep range out to NBA 3

- elite FT shooter

- good ball handler, excels going to basket with left hand

- smart player, can make adjustments on the fly

- extremely productive college player

- excellent scoring instincts

- high effort on offensive end of the court

Weaknesses

- not a very good defender all things considered, very spotty

- was able to do 5 reps, but definitely needs to add strength

- shot selection isn't great and subpar shooting %s reflect this

- not an elite athlete like some of the other starting 2s in the NBA

- needs to diversify his attack when going to the rim, always goes left

- not an especially creative or powerful finisher

- lacks a mid range game for the most part

- needs to develop as a catch and shooter, learn to cope with a reduced role in an offense

- combine drill times fairly slow, footspeed comparable to Derrick Williams'

- first step nothing to write home about

- not a great rebounder for a player with his length

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 08:31 AM ----------

All things considered, I would target Thompson at 18 as one of my top choices if available. I'd take him over Singleton because he's got more NBA skills and value as a shooter than Singleton does as a defender. Singleton's poor offensive numbers and TS% bother me more than Thompson's sketchy defense plus Thompson's FT shooting will be valuable late in games.

I agree with your assessments on him for the most part...not too concerned about his overall shooting percentage.....he was pretty much the only major offensive threat on his team, which means he was a volume shooter. His FT% and 3pt% are excellent....being that he wont have to do all the scoring at the next level, I think his overall FG% will greatly improve.

as far as taking him in the draft....there is zero chance he makes it past 18, likely wont make it out of the lottery....our only option to get him is if we can trade #18 and #34 for him (probably have to give up some cash as well)

you aren't getting the #2 pick (and williams) without including the #6 pick in the process. Javale is totally expendable if Marc Gasol is our main target this offseason (which I'm starting to think is the case). Not to mention, how do you know that Williams isn't better than Kanter + Javale (I'm not saying he is...because we don't know what type players they are going to be) but Kanter could be a huge bust and not get any playing time and Williams could be the next great PF....we don't know yet.

You're overvaluing the second pick and undervaluing Javale. There isn't a big market for #2 because this isn't a very good class and DWill isn't seen as a can't miss prospect. 6 + Javale is entirely too much to move up four spots for DWill when Kanter, Vesely, or Biyombo will be available when we pick.

You're right, we don't know how these prospects will play out--Derrick Williams could be a bust and Kanter could be the next great PF. We're making projections and I think most people would agree that the upside for Derrick Williams doesn't beat the upside of having both Kanter and McGee.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Finding-a-Niche-for-Enes-Kanter-3743/

Concerning stuff and DX makes a good point. Kanter is a huge unknown being away from basketball for almost two years. But teams have taken players high based on HS tape in the past, it's only recently that everyone has had a year of college film to work with.

The defesive effort in those clips was pitiful. Kanter looked asleep on his feet and that's not what you want to see from a lottery pick. He'll need to ace the interviews to prove that he's got the motor for the NBA. You have to keep it in perspective though, that's HS footage from when he was 17 at a very low level of competition, he's probably a very different player and person now. If I had to guess, I would say he was playing down to the level of his competition in those films because there wasn't really anybody giving great effort. There were what, 15 people in that crowd? Even my HS mustered more fan support than that. Still, that's not a good excuse for playing so lackadaisically. No excuse for not boxing out and letting his opponents get so many second chances when he's the biggest and strongest guy on the floor and has the best hands.

I still like Kanter at 6 ahead of Biyombo but the gap is close. For me it comes down to what Kanter has done at the highest levels in world competition and at the Hoops summit and I'd basically draft him for his rare offensive ability and strength for a big. His scoring talent will translate to the NBA and he can be a high scoring 4 or 5. That's a lot of upside for a class that's generally lacking in it. I think he'll definitely be there at 6. I think he'd give us some actual offensive punch in the paint, paired with either Derrick Williams or Javale McGee on the front line. I wouldn't want to pair him with Blatche though--too defensively soft to do that.

as time goes on, the more I think Kanter could fall to #6 and the more I think we should just take him at 6 and then trade #18, #34, and cash for Thompson. Then you go after Marc Gasol in FA.

speaking of Gasol....the Lakers will likely be looking to dump salary this offseason to comply with the salary cap. They are going to be pushed into rebuilding mode sooner than later. I wonder if they would consider trading Pau Gasol for Javale McGee and Andray Blatche? If so, I also wonder if we could get Marc at a discounted rate to play with his brother. This would be a pretty sick 8 man rotation:

Wall, Crawford

Young, Thompson

Lewis,

Gasol, Kanter

Gasol,

edit: just looked at the cap ramifications and we likely wouldn't be able to pull this off.

Wall - 5.5

crawford - 1.1

Booker - 1.2

Seraphin - 1.6

Lewis - 22.5

P Gasol - 18.7

Young - 8 (guess)

Gasol - 10 (guess at a discount)

that is about 70 million once you fill out the roster....not even close to under the projected cap

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 10:18 AM ----------

You're overvaluing the second pick and undervaluing Javale. There isn't a big market for #2 because this isn't a very good class and DWill isn't seen as a can't miss prospect.

actually...with this weak draft, picks 1-3 are worth much more. Irving, Dwill, and Knight are considered the closest things to can't miss in the draft. All the experts agree that the talent drop off is huge after pick 3...that would make #2 worth quite a bit more than #6

6 + Javale is entirely too much to move up four spots for DWill when Kanter, Vesely, or Biyombo will be available when we pick.

Vesely plays no defense and can't shoot...all he does is dunk. Kanter has very little tape on him and didn't play in college or Europe last year. Biyombo has ZERO offensive game. Williams can play both forward positions, he can score inside and out, and he plays defense....he is a much better prospect than the other three

We're making projections and I think most people would agree that the upside for Derrick Williams doesn't beat the upside of having both Kanter and McGee.

I think you are wrong about that...best way to find out would be to ask knowledgeable non wizards basketball fans...because all wizards fans seem to sickly overrate McGee. We are talking about a guy who has been in the league for 3 years and is still pretty terrible on offense and defense. I'll give him credit for improving his rebounding....but that isn't enough to put him on a pedestal and miss out on a potential Allstar

Edited by Gator Bait

I REALLY don't want to trade McGee....but with that being said....

McGee +18 or 6+18.

Thats my final offer to the Timberwolves.

I guess I could live with 6 and 18 but I don't think that maximizes our value in the draft. I like Enes Kanter and Biyombo enough to want to try and take them in addition to DWill.

Aren't there any other assets out there to be included? Did anyone think Kirk Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong were assets? What about some of the other players we've got on our roster? Minnesota needs a true SG. I'd part with NY and Blatche far sooner than I'd part with just McGee. McGee is third on my list of players not to trade after Wall and Crawford. And you can't trade McGee without finding an immediate replacement or else we're going to take a big step back.

2013 is the class of the excellent center prospect so no immediate help presents itself in the 2012 draft.

Don't rule out getting a third team involved in a swap either. Sacramento makes a potentially interesting partner in all of this.

I'm also still a little ambivalent in giving up a ton for DWill given a few limitations of his. I'd give up McGee for him straight up and I'd package in 18 but wouldn't feel great about it. It's a hell of a gamble rolling with DWill and Kanter as your front court. You almost have to keep Blatche at that point to hedge your bets with at least one proven PF.

Talking myself into it, Williams, Blatche, Kanter isn't a bad starting lineup although it's extremely soft on defense in the paint. It's a very beefy lineup. DWill can score and be a LeBron like closer as a perimeter defender with his size and quickness and penchant for monstrously blocking shots. Blatche can score. Kanter can score and rebound.

I also think Kanter is a natural center that likes patrolling around the rim and using his strength to overpower players. Then again, he's not the sort of Tyson Chandler-esque athletic center that might benefit from playing with Wall. McGee is. McGee and Kanter makes a lot more sense as a front court than Blatche and Kanter does.

Absolute ideal situation is getting Kanter, Williams while still keeping McGee and if you're creative enough, I think you can make it happen. You also can't give up next year's first without protecting it.

Get a third team involved to make this happen and use NY, Blatche, 34, and 18 as the primary pieces for your trade. Lottery protect the 2012 first rounder knowing full well we're probably finishing in the lottery again so you're deferring that choice to later. Be willing to offer Booker and Seraphin if it comes up and is necessary. Hope for a lockout which leaves us with the 4th most lottery chances for next year. Then in 2012 take the best natural 3 or swingman on the board in the first round. You've got a high potential of ending up with this roster if you do all of that:

PG: Wall, Crawford

SG: Michael Gilchrist, Crawford

SF: Derrick Williams, Michael Gilchrist, Trevor Booker

PF: Enes Kanter, Derrick Williams, Trevor Booker, Kevin Seraphin

C: Javale McGee, Enes Kanter, Kevin Seraphin

What a fantastic team. That's maximizing our value from this draft and gives us a big variety of lineups that can pretty much handle every situation you throw at them. You've got clear roles for everyone involved too with just the right amount of redundancy in case of injuries:

shooters: Williams, Kanter, Crawford

facilitators: Wall, Gilchrist, Crawford

defensive rebounders: McGee, Kanter, Gilchrist

offensive rebounders: McGee, Williams, maybe even Kanter

finishers: McGee, Williams, Gilchrist

shot blockers: McGee, Williams, Gilchrist, Wall

perimeter defenders: Gilchrist, Booker, Wall, and occasionally Williams

interior defenders: McGee, Seraphin, occasionally Williams

dribble penetrators: Wall, Crawford, Gilchrist

FT shooting is probably average despite Javale's lack of ability since Kanter and Williams would be good shooters. Defense lives or dies by the improvements Javale makes. The perimeter defense would be excellent though since Wall and Gilchrist are a potentially dominant pairing, shades of LeBron and Wade. Good size throughout the lineup with each of our starters eventually being well above average height, weight, and reach for their positions. Derrick Williams is the top outside offensive option among the starters and Kanter the top inside option and everyone else comfortably defers to them because it's a nice mix of talent and personalities.

not trading Nick Young unless I get something spectacular back. Nick Young will greatly benefit from this team getting another perimeter threat and a presence inside....he will be knocking down kick out threes all season long. I think this board stupidly underestimates and undervalues Nick Young. He has the ability to be our Luol Deng. I expect him to be the third or fourth best player on the team when we start making our playoff runs.

Its not that Nick Young isnt good. He is a terrific spot up shooter. He is a gunner. Your A-typical streak shooter. When he is on, hes on. When hes off, hes off. But he will never be like Loul Deng, because Deng passes, rebounds, has a high basketball IQ, and isnt selfish. Also, Deng's defense is incredible. I dont think nick is in the same defensive range. Young should be coming off the bench. He is a possible 6th man of the year. But he wants to start, and that will not help our team.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Nick Young isn't a starting 2 guard on a winning NBA team. He is an offensive black hole. Either he or Blatche need to come off the bench with Crawford to provide bench scoring. All three of them would give us a fantastic scoring bench but that's not happening.

Its not that Nick Young isnt good. He is a terrific spot up shooter. He is a gunner. Your A-typical streak shooter. When he is on' date=' hes on. When hes off, hes off. But he will never be like Loul Deng, because Deng passes, rebounds, has a high basketball IQ, and isnt selfish. Also, Deng's defense is incredible. I dont think nick is in the same defensive range. Young should be coming off the bench. He is a possible 6th man of the year. But he wants to start, and that will not help our team.[/quote']

you are definitely right about Nick not rebounding or passing like one would want him to, but that is mainly associated with the fact that this year was the first year he really got a chance to play big minutes on a consistent basis. He didn't rebound well this year because he was our #1 scoring option and most of the plays and the game plans were to get Nick the ball so he could score. We will see his game transform into more of a team player as time goes on....we just need more pieces around him and John Wall

and I disagree with your assessment on his defense....Nick is a very good defender.

Nick Young isn't a starting 2 guard on a winning NBA team. He is an offensive black hole. Either he or Blatche need to come off the bench with Crawford to provide bench scoring. All three of them would give us a fantastic scoring bench but that's not happening.

I disagree....I definitely think he can be the 2 guard or the 3 on a winning bball team....depending on what happens in the draft and free agency....it is possible we will see that this year.

you bring up a point that made me think of an interesting scenario though....I wonder if a contender would trade for Blatche at the deadline next year for scoring off the bench...

I don't really want to trade McGee unless its straight up for the number 2. I definitely don't want to give up the #6 with McGee to get Williams. If Williams was on LeBron level or even Blake Griffin, then it'd be a different story. But right now I see Wall as our main guy and Williams would be somebody to help him out. Will Williams be better than McGee? Probably. But how much better will he be? I don't see McGee as this black hole on our team who is serving no purpose but getting in the way. As much as he frustrates me, he does have potential and he is one of the top big men in the league right now (whatever that means). Plus if you look at the number 6 pick, you have to ask is Williams better than McGee + Kanter/Biyambo/Leonard/Vesely/Morris/Valanciunas/etc. I really don't see it.

At this point, I'm almost willing to just sit at 6 and see who falls to us if its going to take McGee plus some to trade up. If we can replace MCGee with Blatche and move up to get Kanter, then I'm probably in favor of that, but only because of his size and potential. I'm so wishy washy on him because he's so untested, or at least unscouted. People are basing his high ranking on one game and his size. I pray he's not a locker room cancer like Blatche or a no work ethic guy or an argue with coaches type guy. I really wonder about his basketball IQ too. I wish I had confidence in his defense or rebounding, or even work ethic. Right now all I can say is that he dominated Sullinger in the Nike Hoops summit, and that just doesn't do much for me. But I realize that I'm not a scout so hopefully EG and the guys that get paid for this stuff know what they're doing and if they draft this guy I'll be all for it.

Honestly, I'm still in favor of just taking Leonard or Singleton. And this is probably crazy given the weakness of this draft, but if we could trade down from 6 to like 12 and pick up whoever was remaining (of the two) I'd be even happier. But that's probably just impossible, and we probably wouldn't get anything back....I'd love it if we could do something like we did last year when we got Heinrich. If we could do something similar to trade back from 6 to like 10 and pick up somebody, it'd be cool. Or even if we could do something like that to trade back from 6 to like 9 and 19 and then use that to get Singleton and Honeycutt. But thats a pipe dream because there's like no way that Charlotte trades with us.

you are definitely right about Nick not rebounding or passing like one would want him to, but that is mainly associated with the fact that this year was the first year he really got a chance to play big minutes on a consistent basis. He didn't rebound well this year because he was our #1 scoring option and most of the plays and the game plans were to get Nick the ball so he could score. We will see his game transform into more of a team player as time goes on....we just need more pieces around him and John Wall

and I disagree with your assessment on his defense....Nick is a very good defender.

I'll agree with you here. NY's improvement in his game was this past year gave me hope. But what scares me is that its the same type of improvement that we saw from Blatche and Stevenson before their contracts. And I also remember giving big contracts to E. Thomas and J. Howard with little in return. I will say that NY played well with Wall in there, but I wouldn't count on him as a must have part of this team in the future. I'd be just as willing to deal him as I'd be to sign him. He's a good player, but he's replaceable, both in size and abilities. Shoot, if we get Hamilton or somebody similar in the draft, then Young really becomes more expendable.

What is more shocking?

a) NBA jersey store sells a Hamady N'Diaye jersey

B) They spelled N'Diaye wrong

c) They sell a Mo Evans jersey

d) They sell a YI jersey

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 09:38 PM ----------

Why does everyone insist McGee is a "top big man" in the league.....he really isn't even close. When you take the 60 starters in the league that play PF or C, McGee is in the lower twenty percentile

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 09:40 PM ----------

Sorry Nick Young will never be a starter on any championship team. He is a 7th or 8th guy on a team that wins.

The Chicago Bulls likely disagree with you...I guarantee they make Nick an offer this offseason....if he ends up there.....he will definitely get at least one ring.