Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't think you trade McGee right now. He shows more and more bursts of quality play. I think right now his biggest issue is no good teacher/head coach.

what have you been watching? McGee makes the same mistakes over and over again...you don't need a good coach to realize it is a bad idea to try and dunk over another player from the free throw line on a fast break.....or to realize that you can't swat the ball when it is already on a downward motion towards the basket...yet he does this 3-4 times a game.

for the right offer, I'd trade McGee in a heartbeat...doubt it happens though...these rumors of #2 for McGee are absurd....not even Kevin McHale would make this trade.

what have you been watching? McGee makes the same mistakes over and over again...you don't need a good coach to realize it is a bad idea to try and dunk over another player from the free throw line on a fast break.....or to realize that you can't swat the ball when it is already on a downward motion towards the basket...yet he does this 3-4 times a game.

for the right offer, I'd trade McGee in a heartbeat...doubt it happens though...these rumors of #2 for McGee are absurd....not even Kevin McHale would make this trade.

I don't agree. I think Saunders was hired to coach Arenas/Butler/Jamison as a more vet group who was already making the playoffs. You could say the same thing about a number of younger guys making the same mistakes. When that happens I ask "What are they doing in practice?" because I simply don't believe Flip is putting in the work.

that was one isolated incident that he manned up about....he didn't make any excuses and I like how he handled the situation. Josh shelby, on the other hand, has a long list of things that point to character issues....missing team dinners/practices, academic ineligibility in high school, 9 game suspension in college for accepting benefits etc.....it just seems like decision after decision is poor.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

ding ding ding.....McGee plays with the IQ of a sack of bricks....he makes the dumbest damn decisions on the court and hasn't seemed to improve in that aspect over the past few years. I'm not buying the reports that we could swap McGee for #2.....but if in fact the Twolves continue to make stupid moves and did that.....as someone else pointed out.....we could have Dwill at #2 and grab Bismack (for defense) at #6....that would be perfect.

IMO, doesn't matter if he manned up or not, he has a red flag just as Selby does. I think your viewpoint when talking about Selby/Thompson is a bit hypocritical.

Moving on...I do agree with you in that if the Wizards move McGee for the #2, they must not see his ceiling being too much higher. Personally, I have a hard time believing that they'd leave a huge void at the 5 just to take Williams who is a 3/4 tweener. But this is just me on the outside looking in. Unless there are absolutely no takers for Blatche, I would think he would be the first guy moved off this roster. The fact that he was left out of the whole "rebranding" promo is curious....he already messed up once this offseason w. his "Lapdance Tuesdays" promotion. I hope we can find a taker for him...and use HIM as bait to move up to #2. It's wishful thinking, but I really hope it happens.

I don't agree. I think Saunders was hired to coach Arenas/Butler/Jamison as a more vet group who was already making the playoffs. You could say the same thing about a number of younger guys making the same mistakes. When that happens I ask "What are they doing in practice?" because I simply don't believe Flip is putting in the work.

I agree with you on the coaching part....flip was definitely brought in to coach a veteran team....and I also agree that he is a sorry coach in general....but that still doesn't excuse Javale's excessive goal-tends and the foul line dunk (attempt)

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

IMO, doesn't matter if he manned up or not, he has a red flag just as Selby does. I think your viewpoint when talking about Selby/Thompson is a bit hypocritical.

Moving on...I do agree with you in that if the Wizards move McGee for the #2, they must not see his ceiling being too much higher. Personally, I have a hard time believing that they'd leave a huge void at the 5 just to take Williams who is a 3/4 tweener. But this is just me on the outside looking in. Unless there are absolutely no takers for Blatche, I would think he would be the first guy moved off this roster. The fact that he was left out of the whole "rebranding" promo is curious....he already messed up once this offseason w. his "Lapdance Tuesdays" promotion. I hope we can find a taker for him...and use HIM as bait to move up to #2. It's wishful thinking, but I really hope it happens.

first of all....not sure how you can't see the difference between a guy smoking weed and owning up to his mistake and a guy making bad decision after bad decision and running away from his mistakes?

second...Williams isn't a tweener...he is a legit PF.

third....Blatche has very little trade value...McGee is being spoken of as trade bait because he holds more value than Blatche. I think we'd jump at the chance to trade Blatche to get an asset back, but i don't think the team is going to just dump him.

In thinking about it....if they do move McGee for the #2, how aggressive do you think the Wizards would be to package Blatch/#6 to move up to potentially get Kanter? It's a pipe dream...but wow....if that's the case, I might be on board with that. McGee is due for a raise, and I dunno how much the Wizards are willing to offer...also w. the hard cap coming up.

Just heard on 980 that the Wiz are supposedly offering Javale McGee, #6 and #18 for Minnesota's pick.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 07:26 PM ----------

Meanwhile, the Wizards' brass is heading over to Italy this weekend to watch the Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso, where they'll get a good look at guys like Jonas Valanciunas, Jan Vesely and Bismack Biyombo. Here's what's interesting, though. According to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, the Wizards have joined Toronto and Utah to watch Jan Vesely in the Serbian League Finals prior to the camp. (As to who, specifically, my understanding is Ernie Grunfeld is back here watching the workouts at Verizon Center and assistant GM Tommy Sheppard is in Italy. Also, Michael Lee says we should "keep an eye" on the Vesely thing). Tomorrow, five teams (Toronto, Detroit, Utah, Charlotte and Golden State) are going to Spain to watch Bismack Biyombo conduct a private workout, but Washington is not among them, according to Givony.

That's a bit odd. Of course, the Wizards, and everyone else, will see Biyombo at the camp. But maybe this means something.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/

I agree with you on the coaching part....flip was definitely brought in to coach a veteran team....and I also agree that he is a sorry coach in general....but that still doesn't excuse Javale's excessive goal-tends and the foul line dunk (attempt)

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

first of all....not sure how you can't see the difference between a guy smoking weed and owning up to his mistake and a guy making bad decision after bad decision and running away from his mistakes?

second...Williams isn't a tweener...he is a legit PF.

third....Blatche has very little trade value...McGee is being spoken of as trade bait because he holds more value than Blatche. I think we'd jump at the chance to trade Blatche to get an asset back, but i don't think the team is going to just dump him.

First...your viewpoint of the two is hypocritical. You're picking on Selby for missing a team dinner when he had already bolted from school. On top of it all, he didn't want to be at Kansas in the first place. Dude made his intentions clear about being one-and-done from the moment he signed his LOI. Yeah, his recruitment was shady...but so what? Dismissing Thompson's arrest because he "manned up" (what else was he supposed to do?), is weak IMO. How many top athletes who have had a drug bust over the years show some sort of contrition in the wake of their arrests? Most of them. I don't get why he should be getting props over Selby when they both have red flags. Whatever....we'll have to agree to disagree.

Second...

“I’m not a power forward. I’m a small forward who can play the 4,” Williams said. “Whoever picks me will find that out. I’m not a 4, I’m a 3.”

Williams' quote from 5/19

http://cavs.ohio.com/2011/05/derrick-williams-wont-work-out-sees-himself-as-small-forward/

"Legit" PF...I think not.

Third...I want Blatche gone. I've made my feelings known about him on here plenty of times. No matter what the return, it would be addition by subtraction. I don't need to get into it again, but he's a cancer.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 03:37 PM ----------

Just heard on 980 that the Wiz are supposedly offering Javale McGee, #6 and #18 for Minnesota's pick.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 07:26 PM ----------

http://www.bulletsforever.com/

WOW....that's a lot for the #2....we'd have to be getting back another asset.

I could see Ernie getting bent over this bad in a trade again.

I also know that 980 is full of **** so I don't believe this to be true. The T'Wolves aren't selling high. There isn't much of market for the #2 pick.

UPDATE: More Ford, in his latest mock draft: "Publicly, the team is claiming that they're likely to hang on to the pick. Privately, they're hoping that a team comes along and offers them an impact veteran -- someone such as Pau Gasol, Monta Ellis or even JaVale McGee -- for the pick."

there's always free agency.

maybe they're ready to throw a nice number at Gasol

Free agency centers are going to be extremely expensive, even the mediocre ones. That's a gamble that could set the team back 5 years.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 08:22 PM ----------

McGee straight up for #2. Or maybe add in the #18. Do not give up the #6. After the D-Will pick, we have to take McGee's replacement.

So you'd be comfortable with this possibility:

Center - Rookie (likely a Euro)

PF - Rookie (who claims he's a SF)

SF - 2nd year player

SG - 2nd year player

PG - 2nd year player

I guess if the goal is to get a lottery pick next year that's the way to do it. That's a serious dedication to rebuilding though. Blatche as your 6th man and a bunch of D-league scrubs filling out your bench. Awesome!

Free agency centers are going to be extremely expensive, even the mediocre ones. That's a gamble that could set the team back 5 years.

SF - 2nd year player

SG - 2nd year player

PG - 2nd year player

I guess if the goal is to get a lottery pick next year that's the way to do it. That's a serious dedication to rebuilding though. Blatche as your 6th man and a bunch of D-league scrubs filling out your bench. Awesome!

Actually,you should pencil in Nick Young as the starting SG. From all reports the Wiz are definitely retaining him.

But as for your overall point, I completely agree.

SF - 2nd year player

SG - 2nd year player

PG - 2nd year player

No the team I envision is:

C: #6 pick. Biyombo as the project replacement for McGee. Let's not kid ourselves. McGee is decent but he's not untouchable. Biyombo has just as much potential simply based on the fact that he doesn't seem like a total idiot like Javale.

PF: Blatche. Meh. It could be worse. It could be a LOT better. Future considerations for replacement. We also have Booker who should improve so this spot isn't THAT bad.

SF: Derrick Williams/D-league scrub (Resign Jeffers?)

SG: The reliable Nick Young resigned at a modest salary. Hopefully Crawford improves enough to give reliable back up minutes at both guard spots.

PG: Super star in the making, John Wall.

That's a young team that will win somewhere between 25-30 games and ensure another lottery pick. But I like it much more than coming out of the draft with Veseley and having the possibility that McGee doesn't pan out and he ends up walking to some other team next year.

you are missing the obvious here buddy...the teams with the top 4 picks in the draft do not need a PF, they do however, need a SF. Williams is simply trying to improve his draft stock and get paid more.

Third...I want Blatche gone. I've made my feelings known about him on here plenty of times. No matter what the return, it would be addition by subtraction. I don't need to get into it again, but he's a cancer.

I can't disagree with your assessment on Blatche being addition by subtraction....I would rather see us get a new coaching staff and see how he does with them though. Blatche definitely has lots of talent, it is just a matter of extracting it. Both the Wizards and Blatche would probably benefit from a change in scenery for him.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 05:01 PM ----------

there's always free agency.

maybe they're ready to throw a nice number at Gasol

could be....Ted loves Gasol.

This rotation wouldn't be bad at all:

Wall

Young

Lewis

Williams

Gasol

coming off the bench: Crawford, Blatche, Booker

you could roll with this for 2011-2012 and look to get younger at SF next year throught the draft and free agency

Edited by Gator Bait

you are missing the obvious here buddy...the teams with the top 4 picks in the draft do not need a PF, they do however, need a SF. Williams is simply trying to improve his draft stock and get paid more.

I can't disagree with your assessment on Blatche being addition by subtraction....I would rather see us get a new coaching staff and see how he does with them though. Blatche definitely has lots of talent, it is just a matter of extracting it. Both the Wizards and Blatche would probably benefit from a change in scenery for him.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 05:01 PM ----------

could be....Ted loves Gasol.

This rotation wouldn't be bad at all:

Wall

Young

Lewis

Williams

Gasol

coming off the bench: Crawford, Blatche, Booker

you could roll with this for 2011-2012 and look to get younger at SF next year throught the draft and free agency

I don't like Williams at all, but that wouldn't be a bad lineup. I mean it would be bad compared to elite teams, but it is a nice foundation to build on. :2cents:

I don't like Williams at all, but that wouldn't be a bad lineup. I mean it would be bad compared to elite teams, but it is a nice foundation to build on. :2cents:

that is a playoff caliber team that could grow into a contender (but you are also talking to someone who is really high on Williams)

I think Nick Young can score 20 per night on a good team efficiently and defend the opponent's best wing scorer.

Wall has 20-10 potential who can also defend the opponent's best wing

Rashard isn't a bad stop gap spreading the floor and knocking down 3s

Blatche can give you 15-7 off the bench

Crawford can come off the bench and play either guard position

Gasol provides post defense and can realistically be a 15-10 guy.

I think in a few years Williams will be a 20-8 type guy....run pick and roll with John Wall...be batman's robbin.

I knew there was no way we could get #2 for just Javale, but I also don't think we would give up both 1st round picks and Javale either.....

I think it would be more like #6 and Javale...then we can take GACOLB's boy Hunnycut or whatever at 18.

If we were guaranteed Gasol this free agency....I wouldn't be opposed to trading both first rounders and McGee...I do think that is giving up way too much though.

would be nice if they would take #6, #18, and Blatche....and we keep McGee and get Williams

I think Nick Young can score 20 per night on a good team efficiently and defend the opponent's best wing scorer.

NY doesnt pass. He would be benched on a good team for that reason alone. He is best coming off the bench. I dont see him having a future here in washington. Atleast i hope not.

Let me ask yall (after seeing some of your lineups)....how do you think Blatche would take to coming off of the bench? IMO (if he's around to start next season), we have to play him. I can see a situation of him sulking and playing HORRIBLE basketball if he's moved to the bench. I don't see him accepting or thriving in the 6th man role. If that happens, we'll end up having him on the roster for a lot longer than most of us want.

No the team I envision is:

C: #6 pick. Biyombo as the project replacement for McGee. Let's not kid ourselves. McGee is decent but he's not untouchable. Biyombo has just as much potential simply based on the fact that he doesn't seem like a total idiot like Javale.

PF: Blatche. Meh. It could be worse. It could be a LOT better. Future considerations for replacement. We also have Booker who should improve so this spot isn't THAT bad.

SF: Derrick Williams/D-league scrub (Resign Jeffers?)

SG: The reliable Nick Young resigned at a modest salary. Hopefully Crawford improves enough to give reliable back up minutes at both guard spots.

PG: Super star in the making, John Wall.

That's a young team that will win somewhere between 25-30 games and ensure another lottery pick. But I like it much more than coming out of the draft with Veseley and having the possibility that McGee doesn't pan out and he ends up walking to some other team next year.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, although I could see that team being a playoff team IF Wall develops the way we think he can. Only a 7-8 seed at best though. Only part I disagree with you on is that Kanter would have to be there at 6 for me to make that deal.