Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1300#ixzz16t7OxIv0

Jerry in Navarre:

What do you think about the new interest reported about a Arenas/Cater and fillers swap?

Steve Kyler:

Bogus... it was shot down almost immediately... For some reason writers want to beleive Otis Smith would trade for Gilbert and his awful contract because they are friends.

They are forgetting that while Otis can make suggestions, there are a lot of people that would have to bless that move and none of them would buy into Gilbert.

It is actually the ticket we need to rebuild and build around this young talent.

Expiring contract. You trade Gilbert to Orlando because Orlando wants to get better for a championship run. Orlando trades VC to us because they know we can dump him at the end of the year.

Orlando gets better now with Gilbert.

We get out of the Gilbert contract, dump VC, and have room for FAs. We then build 100% around Wall and McGee over 2-3 years.

The trade basically gives us nothing after this year, but gets us free of the Gilbert contract. VC sucks. His trade bait is his contract.

It would be considered a "smart" trade if the Wiz pulled it off.

Also, VC could pull an Zadrunus Illgaskus (when we traded Jamison) and be released and go back to Orlando.

People are seriously saying the trade is too lopsided in favor of the Wizards?

What the hell are they smoking? Vince's age means he doesn't fit with us at all.

If for some reason this trade does happen, it will go down around the All Star break, the same time the Butler and Jamison trades happened last year. I think for half a season, it would be pretty irrelevant having Carter on the roster. The coaching staff won't play him over Nick Young.

The only upside to trading Gilbert for expirings is that it frees up a lot of minutes for Nick. Young can be an absolutely dynamic scorer playing next to Wall.

Edited by No Excuses

People are seriously saying the trade is too lopsided in favor of the Wizards?

What the hell are they smoking? Vince's age means he doesn't fit with us at all.

Yeah, I feel like that trade would be a pretty big win for the Magic. I wouldn't make it if I were our GM. Arenas is playing too well right now to send him to a contender and division rival for an expiring contract when we already have so much cap space anyway. Plus I think Arenas has gracefully accepted the youth movement on our team and he's already bought into his new role in what we're tying to do. I can't wait to see our back court when both he and Wall really get going.

And from an X's and O's standpoint, I don't think we should give up our best shooter and one of our top guards who has the ability to play both the 1 and 2.

If people on the Magic see it as a losing situation, and we see it as a loss, lose-lose trades don't typically get made.

fwiw, I read that reporter every single day. He is rarely correct on anything.

Just days ago, he was going crazy, saying how a deal for CP3 was still very likely.

I wouldn't read much into it.

www.orlandopinstripedpost.com however is legit. They did confirm that the teams had talks over the summer, with the Magic scared of character problems with Arenas.

There's no reason to believe that those have heated up again.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/12/ted-leonsis-on-arenas-trade-ru.html

Ted Leonsis on Arenas trade rumor: "It isn't true"

Wizards owner Ted Leonsis shot down an Internet rumor on Wednesday that the team has engaged in discussions with the Orlando Magic about a possible trade involving Gilbert Arenas. Leonsis also hoped to quell the perception that the team is looking to move the three-time all-star.

Leonsis has been adamant that the Wizards have no plans to move Arenas, saying last month that "Gilbert is not going anywhere." In his e-mail, Leonsis said that he "really likes and respects" Arenas and "there are no trade discussions going on."

"The team is trying to rebuild and Gilbert is one of the leaders on the team," Leonsis wrote. "Gilbert is the best player on the team right now."

The Magic blog Orlando Pinstriped Post reported that the Wizards and Magic have kept an ongoing dialogue about Arenas. Leonsis wrote in an e-mail, "It isn't true. I wouldn't tell you if it was true but I am telling you that it is not true."

A league source said on Wednesday that the Magic is open to making roster upgrades, with targets including Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Arenas, given his connection with Magic General Manager Otis Smith. The Wizards contacted the Magic last summer about trading Arenas for Vince Carter's expiring contract, but the conversation didn't get very far. The source, though, said the talks were never totally dead.

But the source said the possibility that Orlando would want to deal for Arenas is "probably pretty slim. Right now, Orlando feels like Gilbert's contract is a little too huge for them. It hasn't been completely ruled out. But it's a little too rich."

Arenas, who has dealt with knee injuries and a season-ending suspension the past few years, is set to earn more than $62 million in the three seasons after this one. The source added that Orlando is probably the most likely destination for Arenas if he is dealt. The Clippers have interest, the source said, but the Wizards don't want to take back Baron Davis in return.

Arenas said last week that he understands that speculation about him possibly landing with the Magic will continue to linger since Smith has been a longtime mentor and advisor, dating back to when both were with the Golden State Warriors.

Leonsis added, "The team is focused on getting healthy and playing better basketball."

Ted's one of the few sports owners who I would absolutely trust when making a statement like that. If Ted says it's not true, it's not true.

However, that doesn't eliminate the possibility that Orlando will make a new offer that Ted might consider.

Edited by Hubbs

Why is it so hard for the Wiz to find players, or coach players, to play any defense? I feel like we have been saying this for 1/2 a decade . . . . why does it never change. Ugggg, so ****ing ugly.

Raptors have 54 points with 5 min still left in the 2nd. Amazing.

I've be 50/50 on trading Gil for awhile now. There have been times where I've slipped into being in favor of it, but this past week or so is the first time I've been inclined to wanna keep him. He's been looking good out there.

But I still have questions about how he can play with Wall and sometimes he looks like an offensive rhythm/scheme killer with his 24-foot shots 6 seconds into the shotclock. But he is still a very dynamic player. And I think the younger guys look up to him so if he can become a leader, watch out.

And I think another thing to take into consideration is what exactly can we do with all that cap space? Who are gonna be the big money guys hitting free agency next year and the year after? I know 'Melo is the big one but I can't see him coming here, local or not.

Either way, it's much too early to pull the trigger on any trade imo. Maybe he fits with Wall, maybe he starts dropping 30 a night again, maybe he boasts his value and instead of just getting a dime a dozen expiring deal, we get something tangible for the longterm.

There's the possibility that something bad happens and the time to dump him passes and we're stuck with him. But the upside (both in him being on the team and him boasting his trade value) is enough for me to take that risk.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

We always suck in Toronto. Good to see Wall play pretty well off the bench in his return though. Tough outing for Arenas. I've said before in the past I think the best thing for this franchise long term is Arenas plays well enough so that we can boost his value and trade him for some prospects and cap flexibility.

We always suck in Toronto. Good to see Wall play pretty well off the bench in his return though. Tough outing for Arenas. I've said before in the past I think the best thing for this franchise long term is Arenas plays well enough so that we can boost his value and trade him for some prospects and cap flexibility.

Has Gil had a good game in which Wall got a significant amount of PT? I can't remember one. Maybe he can't flourish alongside Wall.

Booker got a lot of time tonight and he put up good defensive numbers. Young's minutes were down from what they had been lately. I guess there isn't room for a four guard rotation.