Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If you could add LeBron to this specific team they'd win 65 games and make it interesting with the Warriors.  But even if LeBron waned to come here, we'd have to cut a ton of salary to make it happen.  We'd lose all of our bigs for starters.  Probably Porter too.  Losing Porter, Morris, and Gortat to add LeBron would offset the bump in win total and we'd still be a low 50's team that couldn't hang with Golden State's big 4.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You're crazy.

LeBron = +15 wins, a slightly optimistic projection at this point in his career.  

Porter = 9, Gortat = 6, Keef = 4 for a total of 19, a slightly conservative projection.

In actuality, last season LeBron was +13 and Porter/Gortat/Morris were +21.  The production of the three of them accounted for almost half our wins.

To not take a step back after gutting the entire front court to add LeBron, you'd have to find a good PF and C on the cheap.  Maybe Mahinmi bounces back and gives you something like +5 (if we were able to retain him in the process of cutting salary) and maybe we could sign a ring chasing PF for the min who can give you +2 or +3 to make up for what we'd lose at the PF and C positions.  That's very optimistic.

The truth is LeBron is no longer a regular season workhorse and he can't power poorly balanced teams to 60 wins any more.  The hope would be that he'd still be a playoff workhorse and help you outperform your regular season record like he did for the Cavs the previous three seasons.

LeBron only got 3.5 more win shares than Porter did last season and I bet that gap shrinks again this year.  He misses time and coasts during the regular season.  And we have a high end player at his position already.

The places where we could actually use a major upgrade are PF and C.  Keef only had 4 and that's probably his ceiling.  Gortat is probably a sub 6 WS player moving forward.  If you can replace either with a 10+ win share player, the team would take a major step forward.

So do you guys think Gortat is on an irreversible decline now? I'm still holding out some hope that his lackluster play down the stretch and during the playoffs were a product of the heavy minutes he had to play early in the year taking a toll on him in Mahinmi's absence, and that (assuming he stays healthy) Mahinmi being in the lineup again can help reduce Gortat's minutes.

47 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

So do you guys think Gortat is on an irreversible decline now? I'm still holding out some hope that his lackluster play down the stretch and during the playoffs were a product of the heavy minutes he had to play early in the year taking a toll on him in Mahinmi's absence, and that (assuming he stays healthy) Mahinmi being in the lineup again can help reduce Gortat's minutes.

Thats the plan.  Seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, TheItalianStallion said:

I don't know if he's on the decline, but I think Cs like him are just obsolete now in today's NBA where even 7 footers are nailing 3 pointers.

His contract for a big is still fairly reasonable and I believe expires soon so we might be able to trade him for something good.

2 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

But do you think he's on an irreversible decline now?

I'd say so

he's the rare big man that's been injury free throughout his career. Not always a starter, but that has to add wear to the body. Combined with his age and natural progression ranges, he should be on the decline

he can still be productive, but his best days are almost certainly behind him

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

I do not.  I think Marcin is a uniquely agile and fit guy who will age very gracefully at around 25 minutes a game.

Can't start every game this season though. I agree with you, but we need prime Gortat in the playoffs. Especially this season. Irvings bull makes the Cavs vulnerable if things get Rocky for them.