Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

What would you trade for Paul George?

I don't think the Wizards have the assets. Otto, Mahinmi, a pick?

I would trade Gortat/Mahinmi + Oubre + pick.  If Gortat + Oubre, we might have to throw in more as contract ballast.

That's not close to fair value but Indy's not going to get close to fair value for him.  George can force his destination by telling people he won't sign with them.  He could force Boston and Cleveland out by saying he won't stay beyond the year.  LA has already said they wouldn't trade more than Clarkson, Randle, and a late pick for Paul George.  So that's kind of the benchmark of his trade value, and that is peanuts.

I would also trade Morris + Gortat or Morris + Mahinmi and take back a contract as ballast and/or throw in a draft pick.  I could see Indy wanting to get out of Monta Ellis's deal.  I wouldn't love taking him back, but I'd do it if necessary.

We can't offer Otto until late December, and I wouldn't anyway unless absolutely necessary.  Otto is worth a lot more than Clarkson + Randle + late first.  I'd only trade him to beat other offers that would include players like Kevin Love.  And only if Paul George told us he'd sign long term.  If we got that kind of assurance from George... then I think I'd do it.

Other than the fact that we can't deal Otto until mid season, the problem with Indy-Washington trades is that they're front court heavy and all of our tradeable pieces are front court players.  Jefferson is one of their best players and Thaddeus Young is still pretty good.  And their future is Myles Turner.  So they're not going to be that interested in Mahinmi or Gortat or Morris.  We're not going to be able to beat offers from Boston unless Paul George forces them out of the ring.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

At lunch in Cafe near Nats Park and boys they say on ESPN John Wall is recruiting Paul George to come here man if we pull it off  I'll never criticize ernie again 

If it happens, we should make Wall player/GM.

Think we should trade Otto......at first I thought you need to re sign but looking at his numbers , they are really average. I'm sure they can find a similar 3 man that puts up similar numbers at a lesser value. If anything our money should be directed to a big man. ....Gortats 8 pts a game is not going to cut it.

9 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Only a matter of time until George is a Celtic in my opinion. We can't beat anything Boston offers.

I don't think it's going to be Boston.  If they were really serious about him, they'd have acquired him before the trade deadline, let alone the draft.  He'd already be in the fold if they wanted to deal.

I think it'll be the Lakers who trade for him, and I think it'll be a fairly modest package built around Clarkson and one of their young guys like Randle.

I think Paul George has or will scare off all other suitors.  Come Hell or highwater, he seems to want to be a Laker.  Magic Johnson has been blowing sunshine up his ass for most of a season.  Probably telling him that he could "come to LA and be the next me."  And I think Paul George wants to be the star player on the Lakers more than anything else in the world.  More than winning.  And I also think he's delusional enough to believe he can bring other stars into the fold there and that he wouldn't actually be wasting his prime years playing for a team with no chance at being more than a low seed in the West.

Dan Dakich scared me off of Paul George a little with what he was saying about his mentality.  I get a "wants to shoot game winners more than win games" type vibe from him, and that he's not as serious as you want him to be.  If he were here, he'd probably be in the Finals next year.  The fact that he would rather be alone in LA is a huge red flag.

At this point, I would only offer something as significant as Otto for him if we got assurance he'd sign long term.  And I don't think he'd give us that.  So without that, we need to back away and try and go after DeMarcus Cousins instead.  Cousins has his issues, but I think he genuinely wants to win.  And I don't think he's got this boyhood fantasy of being the next Magic or Kobe leading him towards wasting his prime.  Plus Cousins is a much more natural fit and wouldn't push our third best player to the bench.

5 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Boston lookin to sign Heyward AND trade for PG13.... Do they still have the plethora of 1st rd picks to be able to pull that trade off? 

They've got Brooklyn's 2018 pick and whatever they picked up from Philly in the trade down.

They've been super risk averse with those picks though.  I don't think they're going to trade for George because they're not going to risk it being a rental.

I think there is a real chance they end up striking out on both, as Hayward might very well stay in Utah.

They screwed up bad by passing on Jimmy Butler for a shot at George and Hayward.  First off, he was better than both of them last season.  But more than that, he was right there for them.  Under paid with an extra year on his deal.  And no baggage about wanting to be a Laker in 2018.  He was perfect.  They should have offered Chicago #3 straight up for him.  Or even better, #3 and Tyler Zeller and then they'd still have money to go after Hayward!  Or Paul Millsap, who is almost certainly changing teams this summer.  Thomas + Bradley + Butler + Millsap + Horford with Crowder, Smart, Brown, and a couple of other good bench players is pretty damn strong.  Strong enough to beat a tapped out Cleveland team that's a year from getting blown up.  Plus they'd still have Brooklyn's pick next year.

• Like 1

Cousins is the best natural fit and I think playing with Wall would revitalize him. He won't have to be the franchise player(hell he wouldn't even be the most recognizable Cousins in D.C.), he can just come in and ball, and would thrive here. And I believe the best way to beat all this wide open small ball is to go old school and throw it down deep and let a dominant big man destroy people.

Wall/Beal/Cousins would make the Finals.

• Like 2

I don't think the wizards are trying to get anything done and this is all bull**** to make it look like Ernie is trying.  Hayward is available without a trade and the wizards could be heavily pursuing him...

The only thing Grunfeld is working on is trading out of next years draft for some over priced role players.    

• Like 2

after constructing ****ty rosters and telling fans its ok because we're going after Durant, Grunfeld will walk away from two critically important free agency periods with a resigned Otto and Ian ****ing Mahinmi

i hate sports

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

Just now, justice98 said:

I kinda feel like re-signing Otto is just trying to keep the train on the tracks for next year.  Like "we won't be any better, we just dont wanna be worse".  

In all fairness we cannot afford to be any worse if we want to bring another Star here. 

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

In all fairness we cannot afford to be any worse if we want to bring another Star here. 

I think it depends on the star.  I mean, how many wins is Otto's presence on the roster really worth?  Five?  If instead of 49, they win 44 and lose in the first round, that gonna stop Boogie from coming?  What other stars might be available or on the block next year?

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

No thanks on him. 

Why not? 

Dude can facilitate the offense in the half court.  He's an amazing passer and has worked on extending his range.  Only hangup is the injury issues.  Wouldn't mind the Wizards targeting him.

Also, seeing the hauls being made in some of these trades has given me some hope that EG *chuckles* can pull something off.  End of the day, they gotta appease Wall. 

There's really no scenario where if the Wizards and Celtics want the same player, that the Celtics wouldn't have a significantly better deal without even trying.  The Celtics almost have to make a deal first to get outta the mix before the Wiz even get out of the starting gate.

Edited by justice98