Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Otto has been better than Paul George this season:

http://bkref.com/tiny/HMFOj

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/5

PG scores more than him, has a slightly higher PER (19.2 to 17.9), gets more assists, and gets to the FT line more and shoots better from the stripe.  But Otto beats him everywhere else.  He shoots way way better from the floor and the three point line and he outrebounds him and turns it over far less.  His ORtg crushes his, as do his TS% and eFG%.  His ws/48 is better and he already has 3 more win shares on the year, and his VORP is a good deal higher too.  And his DRtg and DRPM are actually both better than George's.  His overall RPM is better too.

Plus George is three years older, has a serious leg injury in his history, and is set to his unrestricted free agency after next season, so he'd presumably end up costing like 7 million more dollars per year and for three more years--if he didn't leave.

I don't think it's crazy to argue that Otto fits our team better than Paul George would, and that we're better off having him instead.

how do you factor in the differing responsibilities? you have to account for the fact that teams gameplan for PG, teams wouldn't be able to key on him here like they do in Indy. If they did, just means that Wall & Beal feast more.

we all love Otto, but teams don't gameplan for him.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Efficiency can be a tricky stat in basketball. When you're the star player and you have to take X number of shots you're naturally not going to be as efficient. George is a legit proven superstar in this league. Porter is not. BUT with all the other factors(age, injury history, salary, upside)its not unreasonable to say you wouldn't trade Porter for him. I'd have to at least think about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

how do you factor in the differing responsibilities? you have to account for the fact that teams gameplan for PG, teams wouldn't be able to key on him here like they do in Indy. If they did, just means that Wall & Beal feast more.

we all love Otto, but teams don't gameplan for him.

It's a factor.  PG is a high usage volume scorer who creates a little more than half of his own looks.  That shot creativity is the best argument for him over Otto.  He can take a quarter over in a way that Otto simply can't.  That would have been helpful against Brooklyn in the fourth quarter for example, when Wall and Beal were dead on their feet and we just couldn't score.  Although to Otto's credit, his garbage man scoring in the fourth basically won us the game.

PG would easily be the second most ball dominant player on our roster if we swapped Otto for him.  He creates a significantly higher percentage of his shots than Beal does.

But I'm also not certain that kind of ball dominance and middling scoring efficiency is what we actually want.  If we had more of an off ball guy like Kyle Lowry or Isiah Thomas as our PG, then definitely.  But John is special.  John is in the Chris Paul school of real point guarding.  They're the two most ball dominant star players in the NBA.  They create a higher percentage of buckets for themselves and their teammates than anyone else.  I think what you really want when you've got a PG like that is an elite finisher.  And there aren't many SFs that are better pure finishers than Otto this year.  His shooting ability is ridiculous.  His shot chart is unique.  When you combine that with his rebounding and quality defense, you basically get the ideal SF for Wall.

• Like 1

Just want some bench help.

Porter is good but he still needs to get bigger strength wise in my opinion. 

I'd trade our 2018 1st round pick and top 15 protect it for Will Barton, put SATO at the backup PG position and have Burke be the SG or kick rocks.

2018 1st is not giving up much for a player like Barton, people have to realize we are probably in a 4-5 year window with Peak Wall, a low 1st in 2018 if developed properly wouldn't be much of a contributor until when? When Wall is roughly 30 or 31 (if he he guy develops at all)

Keep our 2017 pick for sure

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Efficiency can be a tricky stat in basketball. When you're the star player and you have to take X number of shots you're naturally not going to be as efficient. George is a legit proven superstar in this league. Porter is not. BUT with all the other factors(age, injury history, salary, upside)its not unreasonable to say you wouldn't trade Porter for him. I'd have to at least think about it.

He's a sub 43% shooter career. That is terrible, that's Iverson taking 30 shots a night to get 20 points. Even Kobe was mid-40s. Now, we can't expect everyone to be LeBron or MJ and just force their way to the hoop.

Why didn't we at least give Derrick Williams a look? Our bench is god awful. He couldn't contribute more than Thornton? 

1 minute ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm not saying I want to do this, but a deal around Porter and Cousins, what on top of Porter do you think we would need to add to get Cousins?

I really wanted Boogie here for the longest time but dude is just a serious head case. Tremendous basketball player but basically gets T'd up every time he plays. 

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

she's listed at 6'5, Wall 6'4

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/18638252/washington-mystics-sign-guard-kristi-toliver

With Delle Donne, Toliver and Emma Meesseman, the Mystics have a strong young core that can shoot the 3-pointer well. The trio was first, third and fourth in 3-point shooting last season -- all over 42 percent.

3 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm not saying I want to do this, but a deal around Porter and Cousins, what on top of Porter do you think we would need to add to get Cousins?

Or we could re-sign Porter this offseason, and let Cousins join us through FA a year later. I have a feeling Wall and he have already planned on pulling a Wade/Lebron move and intend on playing together. If we keep up this level of play for the next two years(a stretch, I know) Wall could just convince Demarcus to sign here and make us the best team in the East. 

• Like 1