Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Age probably stops me with Jimmy Butler. Perhaps if we were a better defensive guard away from being title threats, but I go with Beal mainly because of age at this point. 

I still ship Otto for Paul George.  The fact that I even think about it is testament enough to how I feel about Otto.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Would you all trade Beal for Jimmy Butler, and/or Otto for Paul George?  Straight up 1:1 deals.

I honestly don't think I would at this point.

I would let Otto go for George real real fast but B3al is not going anyplace If its not for King James himself at this point. 

Though I realize we will lose alot that doesn't show up on the stat sheet with Otto. 

5 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

The fact that I even think about it is testament enough to how I feel about Otto.

Exactly 

• Like 1

Before this season started, I didn't think the Wall/Beal era had any reasonable path to a Championship.  But now, I think we just have to keep trying with the draft.  We have three core pieces who are just so young.  We just need to hit lucky with a late round pick to move into the top echelon.  I think once the Wittman stink wears off, people will realize again that playing with Wall adds value to their career and DC can become an attractive destination for older vets.  LeBron will fade within the next 5 years.  GSW can't keep their 4 together forever due to finances.  In five years, Wall is still 31, Beal and Otto are 28.  If we can hit on a mid to late round pick a few times during that period, I think we move to that top tier.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Would you all trade Beal for Jimmy Butler, and/or Otto for Paul George?  Straight up 1:1 deals.

No. Call it familiarity or whatever but I want to keep our core guys. I think we're on the cusp of something great. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't make either trades... Forget skill wise, I just don't want to mess up this chemistry. Which Taylor already alluded to...

4 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

No. Call it familiarity or whatever but I want to keep our core guys. I think we're on the cusp of something great. 

Also, Otto is my man. Loved him at Georgetown, love him either more.

I'm also loving Jason Smith too. I'll admit, until I started watching in December, I didn't even know he was on the team... All I know is for like a stretch of four games I think, he had the mean putback dunks. His mid-range J is cool too. I wish we had somebody better to come off the bench with him.

• Like 3

It's a good thing you didn't start watching Jason Smith until December MLSKINS.  Because he was hot garbage in November.  Responsible for some of the worst basketball I've ever seen played.  I think he had like a -7 PER at one point.  I didn't even know it was possible to get one that low.

The problem for him is he goes hard he is not smooth.  So when he's bad, he's embarrassingly bad.  Like run so hard on a close out you trip over your feet and go sliding into your bench like a bowling ball.  He's popped up on Shaqtin a Fool a couple times this season as a result.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No way do I trade Beal for Butler. Personally I think Butler is kinda overrated.

Porter for George I have to think about. I love Porter(always have)but man George is a legit superstar and a Wall/Beal/George trio could contend in a year or two once Lebron hits the decline.

• Like 1

It says how far we come that there is even hesitation about whether or not it'd be smart to deal Beal for Butler or Porter for George.  I really don't think I'd trade Beal for Butler.  And I go back and forth about George and Otto.  George is not as good as I thought he was, and I don't know just how good Otto can be.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The problem for him is he goes hard he is not smooth.  So when he's bad, he's embarrassingly bad.  Like run so hard on a close out you trip over your feet and go sliding into your bench like a bowling ball.

That was hilarious.

Otto is just a ball player man. He plays like those old heads at the Rec, but he's just crazy long and athletic. I just can't see myself being okay with getting rid of a player like that so young, without a major upgrade... I definitely feel like Butler is overrated too. I don't think there's any point in time that I would have made that trade to be honest with you.

• Like 2

Look at the Spurs. Great record and no one player has to play a lot. What an enviable situation to be in.

Can't blame Coach Brooks though. The bench is terrible and you gotta do what you gotta do to win the games you play and worry about the future in the future.

I heard Scott Brooks on the junkies this morning and they asked him about the minutes problem. He said basically that he's fine with Wall being at around 36 mins and game and Beal around 34. He also said he might have to adjust how and when he subs them out in games. Saying that he cuts their practice time in half basically so it's not as much wear and tear as it looks like with them playing a lot of minutes.

Beal no. If you wouldn't trade Porter for George straight up, you gotta real think Porter evolves into a 20 ppg player. George can fill the bucket and is an All-NBA defender. He's also only 26.

BUT, I think he's taken a step back from pre-injury.

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

So Miami is now 2.5 games out of the 8 seed. If (probably when rather than if) they get in, how good are they? Could they knock out a high seed early? Like us?

If we have Mahinmi to check Whiteside, I won't sweat it. But if not, Marcin routinely gets mopped by this dude, and Dragic has always killed this team. It might be close. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Beal no. If you wouldn't trade Porter for George straight up, you gotta real think Porter evolves into a 20 ppg player. George can fill the bucket and is an All-NBA defender. He's also only 26.

BUT, I think he's taken a step back from pre-injury.

Otto has been better than Paul George this season:

http://bkref.com/tiny/HMFOj

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/5

PG scores more than him, has a slightly higher PER (19.2 to 17.9), gets more assists, and gets to the FT line more and shoots better from the stripe.  But Otto beats him everywhere else.  He shoots way way better from the floor and the three point line and he outrebounds him and turns it over far less.  His ORtg crushes his, as do his TS% and eFG%.  His ws/48 is better and he already has 3 more win shares on the year, and his VORP is a good deal higher too.  And his DRtg and DRPM are actually both better than George's.  His overall RPM is better too.

Plus George is three years older, has a serious leg injury in his history, and is set to his unrestricted free agency after next season, so he'd presumably end up costing like 7 million more dollars per year and for three more years--if he didn't leave.

I don't think it's crazy to argue that Otto fits our team better than Paul George would, and that we're better off having him instead.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2