Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I know people hate the trading a pick thing, but if you do it for the right player with the right contract it is a good move (see Morris trade)

I like Barton and was open to trading for him when it first came up a month or two ago, but:

1 - The team is playing with incredible chemistry right now, we need to be careful tampering with it in any way.

2 - This is a super strong draft class and there is a good chance to get a long term contributor in the late teens or 20s.  One and a half seasons of Will Barton is not a good enough return for the draft pick.

3 - The team is going to be up against the luxury tax line this summer.  The draft pick will be a cheaper and more effective contract than Will Barton, especially since he'll be an expiring next season and is likely to get a significant bump in salary.

4 - Two guards like Barton are the most replaceable players in the NBA.  I think we can get a decent enough back up two with a much less expensive trade or by signing a street free agent.

5 - Sato is playing well now and needs a chance to find his place in our rotations.  If he pans out, he has much higher upside than Barton because he is a good defender and can run point.  I wouldn't block Sato's development and give up a first rounder to do it for very marginal gains in a season where Golden State is going to tear everyone a new asshole en route to a 4-4-4-4 championship.

• Like 4

I don't see Barton as a guy that puts us over. He would be decent, and better than Burke/Mclellan/Thornton. But we can't afford him in a year or so. The pick would be better used on a young kid on a rookie contract. I'm excited to see what Brooks can do with his own pick. He's already done wonders with everyone else. 

Eventually either Marcin or Ian will have to go. That's just a fact. Otto is getting maxed, and there is only so much money to go around. I personally would just keep Marcin through his contract and try to ship Ian+Nicholson out for Okafor. It's a better fit for both teams. 

This team just needs some offense/shooting off the bench.  Jamal Crawford would probably be a lot cheaper than to go after Will Barton.  Also, depending on when Mahinmi returns, there's the rim protector right there.  This could be why the team is kinda standing pat on adding a big.  Mahinmi might be getting closer to his return. 

36 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

This team just needs some offense/shooting off the bench.  Jamal Crawford would probably be a lot cheaper than to go after Will Barton.  Also, depending on when Mahinmi returns, there's the rim protector right there.  This could be why the team is kinda standing pat on adding a big.  Mahinmi might be getting closer to his return. 

Read a couple articles saying Mahinmi should be back before the all-star break:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-optimistic-about-mahinmis-timeline-return

40 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Read a couple articles saying Mahinmi should be back before the all-star break:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-optimistic-about-mahinmis-timeline-return

That's FANTASTIC news.  Considering what the record is w/o our biggest FA acquisition, if he's back within the next week or two, that's probably the equivalent of a big trade deadline move. 

15 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

That's FANTASTIC news.  Considering what the record is w/o our biggest FA acquisition, if he's back within the next week or two, that's probably the equivalent of a big trade deadline move. 

8 & 6 off the bench from Mahinmi down the stretch would be YUUUUGE.

50 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Agreed, so though I don't expect it to mess with the chemistry, I also don't expect him to be in a groove until after all-star break. Wouldn't shock me if they had him on restriction starting off, not sure how long it will take for him to get back to the player we signed.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's our best defensive player too.  It will be nice to finally see what our defense looks like with him on the court.  I think we could be a top five defense once he gets settled in.

But even if he's fully healthy, it will take time to integrate him.

I would give him lots of minutes at the tail end of the season and rest old man Hammer a little more. Gets him into the system and gives tot fresh legs going into the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Got it I just really wanted to start the discussion. Perhaps Barton isn't a fit (at the cost of a 1st). We do need a 3 point shooter off the bench. If Lance Stephenson wasn't himself I would sign him to the be bench.

Honestly we just need someone who can provide anything in the way of scoring off the bench.....

I am still curious if the Celtics would take a 2nd round pick or two for Terry Rozier.

9 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I am still curious if the Celtics would take a 2nd round pick or two for Terry Rozier.

Barton is a good player and he could absolutely help us, but I think he'll be too costly to be worth it.

I was reading the Celtics board after we beat them and their fans aren't high on Rozier.  They wouldn't hesitate to trade him for a second, but I don't know that Celtics management would do so.

But I also don't know that Rozier would be an upgrade over Burke.  Right now Burke is better than him.  Burke is a very limited player, but he's shooting 46% from the floor and 44% from three.  That's pretty good since he plays in line ups with Sato and Morris, who are good at creating shots for themselves and others, and can cover up his weakness in this area.  At this stage in his career, Rozier can't shoot.

Basically, all we need from Burke is timely and efficient scoring, and right now, he's giving it to us.  The real key to the bench is Sato.  If he reaches his potential, he'll be a fantastic bench combo guard with the ability to run the offense, play off the ball, and guard all of the perimeter positions.  That's why I think we have to do everything we can to facilitate his development.  And to that end... I think I would just stand pat and not make any trades unless a crazy good deal falls into our laps.

Would it be nice to have more experienced and reliable guards than Sato and Burke on our bench?  Absolutely.  Especially for when the playoffs start.  But I think we need to keep the big picture in mind: we're probably not going to beat Cleveland this year, even if we had an awesome bench.  And we're definitely not going to beat Golden State or San Antonio.  So it makes sense to save our powder and do everything we can to get Sato to the point where he is reliable for next season.

43 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I would give him lots of minutes at the tail end of the season and rest old man Hammer a little more. Gets him into the system and gives tot fresh legs going into the playoffs. 

I think that is the right plan and my guess is that, unless Mahinmi has a setback or is on a big minutes restriction, that's exactly what Brooks is going to do.

I think we are capable of beating the Cavs, just not with the worst bench in the league.

I don't have faith in Sato or really any other Euro we ever bring over. Burke is alright but seems to not be very good at running the offense like sessions was off the bench.

It's obvious we need a shooter. Who is Beal's actual backup? Sato, Thornton, McClellan? They are all completely useless from the SG position

4 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

I really hope we don't trade our first. Oubre is what can happen when you make the right pick outside of the top 10. Just keep the damn pick, draft a stud. Build this bench up. 

I'm with ya, and one guy I've got my eye on is Johnathan Motley. Guy just screams NBA in body and game, and the Wiz could use some young bigs.

32 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I'm with ya, and one guy I've got my eye on is Johnathan Motley. Guy just screams NBA in body and game, and the Wiz could use some young bigs.

I saw Motley up close at the Battle4Atlantis this year.  He put some work on my VCU Rams.

Hes a pro. Should go in the top 15.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Is this the latest we have been in 1st since the beginning of the end of the "big 3"?

I think we had the best record in the East at the all-star break in one of the Gil years. Think it was the year he got hurt(06-07?). I remember because Eddie Jordan was coaching the Eastern all-stars LOL.