Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Now that Gortat's funk has come to and end and Pierce & Beal are back in the lineup, we've gone 3-2 over the last 5, with both losses being close and one of them being without Beal (as a precaution). Maybe I'm premature, but I think the free-fall collapse is over. Barring further injury I think we'll play .500-ish ball from here on out, though I still think we're headed towards a 1st round exit.

This team will do just enough from here on out to save Wittman and Ernie once again.

I doubt it. Expectations for this year were much higher than 1st round exit, especially if we end up losing in 5 games or less, and in light of how well things went early on this year. Hell, last year we made it to the second round. Even if I'm right about the free fall collapse being over, it's still likely that Wittman and Ernie will get canned. I hope so, anyway.

Apparently Beal limped back to the locker room.

Guy just can't catch a break...

I was surprised he finished the game. The team was up 20 and he's supposed to be on a minutes restriction. This team is reckless can be reckless in how they handle injured players. Young guy coming off a stress injury should not be in the game in the final minutes of a blowout. Common sense ain't that common around these parts.

I doubt it. Expectations for this year were much higher than 1st round exit, especially if we end up losing in 5 games or less, and in light of how well things went early on this year. Hell, last year we made it to the second round. Even if I'm right about the free fall collapse being over, it's still likely that Wittman and Ernie will get canned. I hope so, anyway.

Wittman might get canned. I have my doubts. But Ernie is going to outlast us all.

Now that Gortat's funk has come to and end and Pierce & Beal are back in the lineup, we've gone 3-2 over the last 5, with both losses being close and one of them being without Beal (as a precaution). Maybe I'm premature, but I think the free-fall collapse is over. Barring further injury I think we'll play .500-ish ball from here on out, though I still think we're headed towards a 1st round exit.

Gortat hasn't just ended his funk, he's been a beast for the past month. From 2/9 to 3/9 (12 games), he averaged 13.3 points on 63% shooting with 11.7 rebounds. And for the past couple of games, his rim protection has been as good as I've seen from him. He found his mojo.

Not only that, Nene started playing well too since mid January and recovered his lift and ability to finish around the basket. It's strange and frustrating that our bigs can be playing well in the midst of our worst stretch of the season. And when you think about it, no player stands out as particularly awful or responsible for our crappy play. It's a testament to the team nature of basketball--the team itself came apart. That's how it's been so clear that ours is a coaching problem. It's like what the Clippers went through with Vinny Del Negro.

Anyway, the team is playing better now. They've been better since Detroit and have gone 3-2 over the stretch. We're probably not going to get back to being legit good. Wall is gassed and Beal is hurt and just making do. And this is the time of the season where there aren't any easy wins left because the bad teams are full of hungry young players desperately fighting for a job in the league. But at least we're no longer awful.

He's a ****ty ass GM but phenomenal business man.

It is AMAZING that he still has a job and is somehow not a national buffoon like he should be. The local media takes it pretty easy on him.

National media takes it easy as well, he gets all the credit for getting rid of the clowns, and none of the blame for bringing them in. The national media, at least the bloggers with national attention, are finally starting to call out Wittman for being a terrible coach.

Ernie getting so much respect from the national media has always been curious to me. I guess it shows how anonymous we've been. Even David Kahn generated more discussion in Minnesota than we did.

There is also a double standard in coverage too. Players get destroyed for incompetence and failure, but a lot of coaches and GMs will get a pass.

• Like 1

It's not just the national media. The local media, the ones successful enough to actually interact with local teams, seem to treat Ernie with kid gloves too.

Considering how the local media never seemed to blame Haslett for anything and even defending him from a well-respected former player like London Fletcher, all because he used to snitch on the team, I'm not surprised they play favorites with the Wizards too. 

Anybody else get a laugh at how CSN constantly referred to a Charlotte as a "playoff bound" team? They had to be under strict orders not to mention that they were still under .500.

I was watching the Charlotte broadcast so I didn't see that. That's not as bad as the level of spin going on in Charlotte though. I seriously think MJ has a propaganda ministry controlling everything said about that team in Charlotte. Their play by play man is one of the biggest homers I've listened to. It's hard to describe, it's something you need to hear to understand.

One example I can think of though: near the end of the first quarter their sideline reporter actually said "the Hornets are playing great, but they're down by 11." We were blitzing them as this was uttered. Then I think they showed that Cody Zeller block on Beal 15 times over the course of the broadcast.

I also liked the drooling over Kemba Walker's tourney performance at UConn. I wonder if they talk about that all season or if they just wait until each March.

Then there was the effort to try and legitimize the MKG draft pick. It's become obvious that was a bad draft pick. But you'd never know it from listening to their play by play guy lose his mind every time MKG got a rebound or dove for a lose ball. And then their sideline reporter delivered that priceless BS stat citing that--going back to 2010--the team was .596 with MKG in the lineup but .16 with him out of the line up. Nevermind that sample includes two seasons before he was drafted. I guess they're trying to pretend he's the key to their turnaround from being a contraction-worthy debacle to a below average team in the lesser conference.

Seriously, that channel is like the ****ing state-run Russian media. I still think my favorite is the low bar for their Papa John's promo. Score 95 points for half off pizza the next day.

There aren't many rungs below the Wizards out there that we can legit make fun of. Charlotte is definitely one of them.

Anyway, one few legit good things we have going for us is our broadcast crew, and listening to teams like Charlotte really makes me appreciate Buck and Phil and Chris Miller. They don't usually get overtly negative, but they also don't try and blow sunshine up our asses when it's raining.

Then there was the effort to try and legitimize the MKG draft pick. It's become obvious that was a bad draft pick. But you'd never know it from listening to their play by play guy lose his mind every time MKG got a rebound or dove for a lose ball. And then their sideline reporter delivered that priceless BS stat citing that--going back to 2010--the team was .596 with MKG in the lineup but .16 with him out of the line up. Nevermind that sample includes two seasons before he was drafted. I guess they're trying to pretend he's the key to their turnaround from being a contraction-worthy debacle to a below average team in the lesser conference.

Anyway, one few legit good things we have going for us is our broadcast crew, and listening to teams like Charlotte really makes me appreciate Buck and Phil and Chris Miller. They don't usually get overtly negative, but they also don't try and blow sunshine up our asses when it's raining.

I don't know, Buck & Phil used to highlight every tiny thing Vesely did in hopes that it was the start of him being somebody. I expect team announcers to be homers, just the way things are. I love Buck & Phil, but they parrot the "effort, energy, fight" nonsense as much as anybody drawing a check from CSN (especially J.Michael, something about that guy annoys the life out of me). The best thing about Buck is that you can usually tell how he really feels based on the tone of his voice.

I thought Biyombo would grow into a capable NBA player. I'm pretty sure my post game is better than his.

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/update-garrett-temples-hamstring-injury

Temple pulled his right hamstring in Monday's 95-69 win at the Charlotte Bobcats and a person with knowledge of the situation told CSNwashington.com that the 6-6 guard is "unlikely to play any time soon."

Wittman might cry himself to sleep if he can't play his favorite player

Our guard situation is so thin. This was known before the season started too.

Loading up on bigs was a good idea but we really really needed help at the guard spots. This would not have been a problem if we hadn't bungled the reserve guard situation so badly over the years.

Eric Maynor is the gift that keeps on giving. That was Ernie's solution to the spot. Signed first day of FA. And it's now left us with Sessions.

I don't know, Buck & Phil used to highlight every tiny thing Vesely did in hopes that it was the start of him being somebody. I expect team announcers to be homers, just the way things are. I love Buck & Phil, but they parrot the "effort, energy, fight" nonsense as much as anybody drawing a check from CSN (especially J.Michael, something about that guy annoys the life out of me). The best thing about Buck is that you can usually tell how he really feels based on the tone of his voice.

I thought Biyombo would grow into a capable NBA player. I'm pretty sure my post game is better than his.

Trust me my friend, if you think Buck and Phil are homers, then listen to the game broadcasts from Charlotte, Utah, Detroit, OKC, or Brooklyn to name a few. They're propagandists. If I had to listen to that every game I would watch them on mute. Not everyone is like that. Buck and Phil aren't. The Knicks, Celtics, and Raptors broadcasters aren't, I actually enjoy listening to them.

Agreed about J Michael though, he is annoying.

Memphis is going to be coming off a back to back at the end of a four game road trip when we play them tomorrow night. Might be able to steal one off them.

Also, as bad as we've played, I was somewhat amazed to see we're only two wins behind Toronto and three behind Chicago. They've been doing some scuffling too.

Memphis is going to be coming off a back to back at the end of a four game road trip when we play them tomorrow night. Might be able to steal one off them.

Also, as bad as we've played, I was somewhat amazed to see we're only two wins behind Toronto and three behind Chicago. They've been doing some scuffling too.

Yeah, Toronto is 1-8 since Feb 20.

Beal on poor #Wizards stretch: "We got ahead of ourselves a little bit. We thought we were a great team and we weren't."

Wittman, Beal, Wall all said speeding Grizzlies up will be key tmrw. Beal mentioned Wizards could go small too.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH