Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Only bad thing about this game is that Webster & Butler have not shown an ounce of anything that could allow us to believe they might do something positive in the future.

Also Beal hasn't found his shot yet. He's battling through it and trying to make an impact in other facets but he needs to find his shot ASAP. We have a hard time spacing the floor properly without it.

And Blair still doesn't look good. His contract is looking Eric Maynor bad.

I'm not too worried about Otto and Beal either. Beal's poor shooting is a problem right now but it's something he'll snap out of eventually. He's proven he's a good shooter. I'm hoping he finds his shot before the postseason though.

Otto shot poorly, but unlike Beal, he's not in a slump. For a player in his stage of development, it's natural for him to have bad shooting nights fairly often. Pierce is one of the best shooters in the history of the game, and even he still has bad nights. I don't see Otto becoming a more consistent shooter this season, maybe not even next season. Although I do expect him to make strides as a three point shooter next year, and hopefully shoot around 35% from three. I think years four and five is where you'll see him demonstrate a consistent stroke from three.

I dont think anyone worries about either players. If anything Otto should be taking more shots. I only worry that Wit will doghouse him, or play him 10 min next game for some stupid reason. He will come in next season with an improved 3 for sure. I am looking forward to it. Beal just needs a better coach for him to take the leap. For now, we just have to hope he comes around in time for the playoffs.

We stumbled on to something with this line up. Pierce and Porter and Gortat needs to be a front court that we see more often. Plus a second ball handling threat on the floor with Wall in Sessions. Really lets us push the tempo and space the floor.

Some of have called for it for a while, tbf.

I don't think Beal is getting a better coach any time soon.  We've come out of our nosedive and I think the team is going to win enough to save Wittman's job this summer.

Otto does need to shoot more but the shots he was getting with the second unit last night weren't any good.  He had to take a lot of momentum shots and late clock attempts after our plays broke down.  The second unit offense just doesn't function well.  They've got a few go to scoring plays when Humphries is healthy and Seraphin is feeling it.  But normally there is just too much confusion and aimless movement.  Randy's system is so lousy and there is no real continuity on the bench right now.

Otto is a completely different player when he's in the line up with Wall.  He gets easy shots and he's the best on the team at running the floor with Wall.

Otto also seems to have terrific chemistry with Gortat.  They run two man game effectively do a good job finding each other in traffic, especially when one makes a backdoor cut form the weak side.  And they seem to have good feel for each other on defense too, doing a good job working together to contest shots in the lane, trapping the ball, and walling off dribble penetration.

It goes without saying that Beal and Gortat both need to play with Wall too.  Gortat can hold his own for stretches without Wall but he needs a guard playing pick and rolls with him.  Beal can do some playmaking for the bigs as the ball handler on PnRs, but for him to score effectively, he needs to be playing off the ball right now.

Problem for Porter is Pierce majorly benefits from playing with Wall too.  And Pierce is our best three ball shooter right now and the only one who will catch the ball and either shoot it or pump fake and take it inside to the rim with no hesitation.  He's also been our best trailing three ball shooter.  You don't want Wall to lose that.

Randy needs to find a way to get lineups with Wall, Otto, Pierce, and Gortat on the floor together.  That's an effective line up, and they demonstrated that last night with Sessions playing SG.  Swap Sessions for Beal and I think you have a really dangerous group that can run and space the floor but also hold it's own defensively, even against a bigger line up.  Where that group would shine is in forcing turnovers and then quickly turning them around for fast break points.

I think you still start Nene at PF.  But Nene is the one player on the team that doesn't really need Wall to thrive.  So have him be an early sub with Porter coming in and Pierce moving to the 4.  Nene can play with either Seraphin or Humphries/Gooden on the second unit and be effective.

Some of have called for it for a while, tbf.

Yeah, they've been going crazy on RealGM calling for Randy to play Pierce at PF all season long, since he was very effective in that role last season in Brooklyn.  We should have been playing him at least half his minutes at PF in small line ups from the beginning.  The only reason it's come about at all is because Humphries has been hurt and Nene has had some foul trouble and missed a game.  Randy has no vision.

The thing is, i would be perfectly fine if the reasoning for that lineup not seeing much light was that Randy was trying to save Pierce's body for the playoffs and didnt want a season's grind at the 4. Hes done a good job with Nene's minutes this year. I could have bought that. But its not.

DeJuan Blair was kind of a pet name for a lot of Wizards fans, and most of us liked the signing at the time, but TBH that move looks worse than the Eric Maynor move ended up being. He looks out of shape and completely inept on offense and he's not a good defender. Right now he's just a six hard fouls goon and brings nothing else to the table.

He's fully guaranteed for next season too.

Humphries is obviously a much better option than him. Seraphin is too, although I still don't think we'll be able to afford him unless he signs for MLE money. I'd also rather keep Gooden around than Blair, since he can shoot and battles on the offensive glass and he's a great locker room presence.

Hindsight is 20/20, but we'd have been a lot better off if we'd used the money we spent on Blair to sign a guard instead.

Blair checked out when he realized he was the 7th big man off the bench. He has skill. We just have too many bigs, and they cant all see the floor and/or have regular minutes. We kind of went into the season preparing for our starting bigs to get injured at some point. (Nene is just a year removed from contemplating retirement). They didnt, and as a result, Blair sees no time.

The problem to me was that we waived Rice for no reason other than Butler heat checks the notion that we were attractive enough for Ray Allen.