Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Bad start. We didn't play well. We're slow starters. Tough time to catch Miami in Miami too, they're healthy and fresh and haven't figured out they're not especially good yet. They made their shots when it mattered tonight and they beat us on the glass. We deserve to lose when that happens.

Miami is going to win some games this year. They're not going to completely fall apart just because they lost LeBron. But the second half of the season, they're going to wear down.

No big deal. Severely under manned. Still, some very encouraging signs once those pieces come back. Pierce is really gonna free up Brad, and vice versa. Pierce can work all over the floor for his shot, while Ariza was mainly stationary on the opposite corner of Beal. And Otto can make a major impact off the bench.

Main concern, need much more aggression on the boards. Though Nene and Blair will help in the area.

One game on the road in the NBA isn't the end of the world, and I have miami easily making the playoffs.

- Seraphin is still garbage. We won't need to see too much of him this season though.
- Temple is still a terrible offensive player. Beal, Webster, and Rice can't get healthy fast enough.
- Wall still can't guard smaller guards along the perimeter. Maybe I should say "doesn't" because I think he can but just doesn't bring the energy.
- Miller looked 50 years old.
- Wall needs to get his turnovers under control, which we've been saying his entire career.
- Wittmans offense is still garbage. Half court offense still has too many guys standing around.

+ Otto played well. He needs more minutes.
+ We had a billion players out with injuries or suspended and still hung around on the road against a good team.
+ Wall had some great passes and attacked the rim.
+ Pierce is a massive upgrade in that he gives the offense a much more versatile player than Ariza
+ Those blue unis are nice.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Missed free throws. Turnovers. Too much reaching and allowing Miami to drive straight to the rim. No one wanted to get out on Cole. Miami got a lot of long rebounds.

And I know we were missing players, but there was a big drop off in offense from the first to second team.

Loved Gooden doing all the dirty work. Porter has hustle. Pierce is just a great veteran.

Is GR Jr. hurt? Maybe I missed the report or something...

Yeah he hurt his ankle in pre-season. they thought he might be able to go tonight but I guess not quite yet.

I can't help but think that Nene would have clogged the lane more and Blair would have gotten physical with Bosh and put a lid on his scoring.

The shooters also looked rough last night. Airballs and bricks on decent shots. A lot of stagnation, especially when the second unit came in. Miami was looking really sharp once they settled in. All of their guys were hitting their shots and they made their FTs.

Both teams turned it over a lot, but we need to be much better. John needs to be better, several of those turnovers were unforced errors. He left his feet with no plan or he was just flat out careless, like when he got his pocket picked.

We played poorly and Miami played well. And damned if they don't know how to finish a game, that was a blitzkrieg at the end.

Yeah he hurt his ankle in pre-season. they thought he might be able to go tonight but I guess not quite yet.

I can't help but think that Nene would have clogged the lane more and Blair would have gotten physical with Bosh and put a lid on his scoring.

I think it's a high ankle sprain, he might be out for a little while longer.

Yeah I think Nene would have been much better checking Bosh than Humphries and Gooden. Gooden got his back on offense, but neither of those guys are the caliber defensive player that Nene is.

Humphries had a rough night. He was rusty and I wouldn't be surprised if his hand is still bothering him. He rushed back.

But other than being unable to check Bosh and having that cascade throughout the defense, we actually defended pretty well. I thought Gortat did an excellent job protecting the rim and our wings were very disruptive. We did a good job triggering breaks too, that kept us in the game for a while even though Miami was completely outshooting us. I thought the defense was much better than the offense. But too often we didn't finish our D with the rebound. And we weren't doing much of anything on the offensive glass ourselves. We should be killing the Heat on the boards.

Thankfully our November schedule is very light to work out some of these injuries/issues.

I think the Heat felt like they had a lot to prove that game. This was their chance to show the world they can be a legit EC contender without LJ. Those players had a lot to prove that they didn't been LJ.

I am excited to see us tonight with Nene and Blair. 

• Like 1

Humphries had a rough night. He was rusty and I wouldn't be surprised if his hand is still bothering him. He rushed back.

Agreed. I was psyched about acquiring him because I've seen him twice at the Verizon Center and he killed us both times on the boards. I'm hoping to see more of that as the season goes on. 

This is Temple's third year with the team?

Temple does play good defense. That's why Randy keeps going back to him.

Vucevic should not be beating you down the floor March!

Wall, Porter, and Temple are KILLING it on D!

Looks like Wall is on a mission tonight to shut down a rookie PG after a poor performance last night. He is hounding Payton.