Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blade of GRASS vs. Portis, advantage GRASS....

Zarg

Unfortunately we have some fans in the other thread wanting to give up draft picks to get "proven" people. You can't get younger when you give up your lifeline to young, cheap talent.

Unfortunately the record of Redskins drafting WRs have been a bust almost my entire life. Young cheap talent doesn't equate to being exceptionally talented as we have seen with our WR draftees over the decades.

I can't wait til CP gets that 150+ yard game... It's coming, yall watch and see

Now, eventually he WILL have ONE of these kinds of days... now can you tell me when? Rams? Currently they are 30th in the league against the run. Last year 27th, in 08' 29th. Soooooo I don't see too much improvement this year (right now). So if CP goes for 150, shall we say "HE'S BACK!!! TOP 10!!!" I certainly hope so... but if he falls under 100, what are you going to say? "We didn't run the ball enough!" I say watch closely, how many times he breaks tackles... but then how many times he goes down due to the hidden sniper!!!

He falls down on 8/10 run plays and seems to always be unbalanced, maybe the least graceful runner I've ever seen.

But he hustles, tries hard and is a great blocker. Certainly not worth the money or Champ Bailey though.

That last sentence is a wildly unfair statement considering the trade was made 6 seasons and 7,000 yards ago. We've gotten pretty damn good mileage out of him over those years. Keep in mind too that Bailey had to go - one way or another. Portis wasn't too shabby of an exchange, considering.

That last sentence is a wildly unfair statement considering the trade was made 6 seasons and 7,000 yards ago. We've gotten pretty damn good mileage out of him over those years. Keep in mind too that Bailey had to go - one way or another. Portis wasn't too shabby of an exchange, considering.

I'm disregarding the politics of the trade but I'm not the biggest Portis fan, I mean, I've talked myself into T.J. Duckett, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, and even Sellers (after I saw that CFL video) over the years. Where would this team be with Terry Allen right now though? Anyone got a time machine?

Haha! Awesome thread title.

He falls down on 8/10 run plays and seems to always be unbalanced, maybe the least graceful runner I've ever seen.

But he hustles, tries hard and is a great blocker. Certainly not worth the money or Champ Bailey though.

Totally completely wrong. Except for the blocking and hustling part.

Portis is STILL carrying this team as the only realistic running option we have since we got him.

In the relatively short time Portis has ben here, he's getting close to breaking the all-time Redskins rushing yds record.

CP has carried this team to the playoffs TWICE.

Clinton Portis has done all this while playing on some truly horrendous Skins teams.

Lastly, who has been the most valuable player to their team: Clinton Portis with the Skins, or Champ Bailey with the Broncos?

Here's a hint, it's not even close....

@ thesubmittedone

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to attack you like that. I respect your opinion and I hope you're right about Portis. But the odds are definitely against him and he has been a real workhorse for this organization since he got here. He's got a lot of miles on him.

If I'm wrong, I'll definitely admit it to you. But I think the glory days for Portis are over and it's time to look for younger, fresher legs.

I say do what the Patriots do, draft a young stud outta college, run him hard for 3 years until he breaks down, rinse, release and repeat.

The Patriots? Corey Dillon, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, among other old farts?

I think the team you're thinking of is Mike Shanahan's old Broncos.

I trust that the plan will change soon.

itz only game 2, after he missed 8 games last year and coming off a concussion he might shy away from hits for a couple a games....not a big problem IMO

just think a lot u guys thought L.J. was gonna take his spot....lol @ people who still hate the best Washington Redskins RB EVER!

@ thesubmittedone

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to attack you like that. I respect your opinion and I hope you're right about Portis. But the odds are definitely against him and he has been a real workhorse for this organization since he got here. He's got a lot of miles on him.

If I'm wrong, I'll definitely admit it to you. But I think the glory days for Portis are over and it's time to look for younger, fresher legs.

I appreciate you responding this way and admire your honesty and sincerity, really I do. If just 10% of posters were like this the board would be so much better. :)

As for Portis, I agree, I think he's definitely not the same back he used to be... but I still think he's pretty damn good. I could end up being wrong, but from watching him closely I'm not seeing a lack of burst or an inability to get to the edge as much as I'm seeing an Oline out of sync and Portis not getting into a rhythm, you know what I'm saying? We'll find out soon enough though!

Artificial Turf vs Portis......advantage, turf.

Another Phantom Tackler brings down Portis, this time on fake grass, on what could have been much more than a 29 yard gain

And no, he didn't slip on the turf

He was surrouned by 5 or 6 Rams and wanted to protect the football so he went down. He would not have gained "much more", maybe another 4 or 5 yards, so he chose to protect the ball rather than picking up a couple extra yards which made no difference at that point. What's wrong with that??

That was kind of embarrassing. He looked like a quarterback doing a baseball slide.
:ols:Those were the exact words that I said to my wife when Portis went down. We both just looked at each other and I said "that's just embarrassing". "It looks like he took a QB slide".

John Thompson would be to afraid IMO to ask him why he does that.

He was surrouned by 5 or 6 Rams and wanted to protect the football so he went down. He would not have gained "much more", maybe another 4 or 5 yards, so he chose to protect the ball rather than picking up a couple extra yards which made no difference at that point. What's wrong with that??

He's a running back. Either secure the ball and barrel forward for any additional yards you can possibly get or stay on the sidelines, in my opinion.

Archived