Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blade of GRASS vs. Portis, advantage GRASS....

Zarg

My thoughts exactly! CP is still a top 10 RB. It's only been 2 games. The Oline is getting used to the ZBS.

I really don't understand how anyone in their right mind could think CP was a top 10 RB unless you are just a super homer. Not that theres anything wrong with that. I'm not even sure if he is a top 20 RB. Top 3 blocking back, but top 10 RB??? LMAO.

Actually there's a saying that a running game is a defenses best friend and it's true. We failed to run out the clock and despite all the complaints about our defense...this is why we lost and we will continue to lose games if we can't milk the clock. I'm not gonna bash Portis...he's helped open up our passing game with his great blocking...but he needs to stop falling down into the grass and keep his balance...he did that in the game and we could have had a 1st down

The problem isn't that Portis isn't hitting holes...he just keeps going off balance. A lot of you keep talking about the O-line...but I think the point is the guy needs to stay up when he hasn't even been touched

I will say though...once we groom this Chad Simpson guy with some training...seeing his speed and some flashes of the runs he's made...I'm VERY intrigued

I really don't understand how anyone in their right mind could think CP was a top 10 RB unless you are just a super homer. Not that theres anything wrong with that. I'm not even sure if he is a top 20 RB. Top 3 blocking back, but top 10 RB??? LMAO.

I maybe exaggerating but he's below a top 20 RB. It's only been 2 games,I really believe CP will have a monster year. I can tell that there's a new CP, a new attitude at Redskins Park.

Thats why I have been saying in the other thread that IF we are going to trade draft picks we need to get Lynch in DC.

Ive always been a huge fan of Portis and thinks he plays with more heart than most but he doesnt have it anymore. I dont think he is bad, just not the same as before. He could still be productive in the backfield with a young RB, with an option to block or run the ball just not every down anymore.

I don't think the point of this thread is to argue that the O line is opening huge holes every down, but when they do Portis seems to just fall over after a few yards.

Im glad someone posted this b/c as of last week its official! Portis is DONE! He cant hit the hole with any speed and the only one who hits the hole slower than CP is Johnson! The only thing CP is good for anymore is blocking! And let me tell u he is amazing at it. I dont know if we can find someone now to run the ball for us but we need someone young and fast and who doesn't always fall down!!!

Im glad someone posted this b/c as of last week its official! Portis is DONE! He cant hit the hole with any speed and the only one who hits the hole slower than CP is Johnson! The only thing CP is good for anymore is blocking! And let me tell u he is amazing at it. I dont know if we can find someone now to run the ball for us but we need someone young and fast and who doesn't always fall down!!!

Wow ur really patient!....Not

I think both sides of this argument need to calm down a little, because you're both right to some degree. Portis does go down way too easily, and that has nothing to do with his O-Line. He goes down very quickly even when he does hit a hole. And the fact is, he's been doing it longer than just this season...I saw signs of this last year before he got hurt, and I believe I even ****ed about it here on the board. I'm beginning to wonder if he's gotten gun shy about contact, after all, his career carry numbers are piling up.

But then, he's still a great blocking back, and he loves contact there. The difference, of course, is that when Portis is blocking or picking up the blitz, he's usually the one GIVING the shot to someone else, rather than taking it, which could be a major difference. I still think he has the capacity to be an effective running back, even good enough to help this team make a nice run this season if the rest of the offense clicks, but he is not a top-10 running back. I can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face.

Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Michael Turner, Steven Jackson, Rashard Mendenhall, Arian Foster, DeAngelo Williams.

I just named 10 backs that I would swap straight up for Portis in a heartbeat.

Matt Forte, Jahvid Best, Ryan Matthews, Ahmad Bradshaw, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ronnie Brown

There's eight more. These guys are either much, much younger and have shown a lot of potential, or are similar in age but are more effective.

Darren McFadden, Shonn Greene, Ryan Grant, Knowshon Moreno, Pierre Thomas....

You get the point...these guys are young but haven't shown enough, or are older but their effectiveness compared to Portis would be questionable to me. I love Portis, but we need to face facts, there's a good argument that he might not even be Top 20 at this point. As I said, I still think he can be an effective back for us, but we're going to need to find out what Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain can give us, and we'll need to find out soon, or we'll need to address the position in the draft.

It never ceases to amaze me. People were saying this exact same thing as far back as 2005. Those of you who are saying "I even noticed it last year" crack me up... you could find posts about this very same thing all the way back in 05 as I stated. Portis always starts seasons off slow and shows poor balance, it's a very weird aspect to his game (one I thought had a chance not to be there since he trained hard this offseason). But then as the season progresses (and so long he stays healthy) he gets better and better, and by the end of the year if he's still healthy he's dominating (as long as the Oline is healthy as well).

It's crazy how this cycle continues to repeat itself. A lot of you are going to get owned by Portis if he stays healthy, trust me.

It never ceases to amaze me. People were saying this exact same thing as far back as 2005. Those of you who are saying "I even noticed it last year" crack me up... you could find posts about this very same thing all the way back in 05 as I stated. Portis always starts seasons off slow and shows poor balance, it's a very weird aspect to his game (one I thought had a chance not to be there since he trained hard this offseason). But then as the season progresses (and so long he stays healthy) he gets better and better, and by the end of the year if he's still healthy he's dominating (as long as the Oline is healthy as well).

It's crazy how this cycle continues to repeat itself. A lot of you are going to get owned by Portis if he stays healthy, trust me.

uuhhh...not true. 2008, when we went 6-2, he started off with a bang and looked amazing in the first 8 games. For you to sit there and try to say he hasn't lost a step and he is the same back that he was in 08 is ridiculous.

uuhhh...not true. 2008, when we went 6-2, he started off with a bang and looked amazing in the first 8 games. For you to sit there and try to say he hasn't lost a step and he is the same back that he was in 08 is ridiculous.

No, he didn't. He started off with a whimper against the Giants and was going down way too easily. People were saying the exact same thing about his balance issues, and that even went back into the 08 preseason. In your rush to prove me wrong you forgot our 6-2 record in 2008 began with a horrid performance against the Giants in New York and that a preseason that Portis played in also existed.

Portis only began to play better after that. I don't think he's the same back, but I definitely don't think he's what some are making him right now: washed up. They'll see, and so will you.

Someone made a pretty good point in another thread :

Portis' problem comes in part because - more than most backs - he's always got two arms on the ball protecting it. Which compromises his balance, speed, and maybe even peripheral vision. It's a hell of a lot easier to maintain balance and generate speed without both arms tucked close to your body.

It's nice he's protecting the ball, but he needs to work on protecting it with a firm one-armed grip so he's not sacrificing balance and speed.

Last I checked, old man Portis scored two touchdowns, one when Big Mike couldn't! :doh:

Of all the things to blame for the loss today, and you go through the trouble to make a new thread about how Portis is a problem? I've seen a LOT of sucky run blocking the last two games .. but that's just me ..

Our O scored 27, and if McNabb hadn't slightly outthrown his receivers twice, it would have been 41 points (not getting on McNabb because he played a great game .. but those WERE two overthrown passes .. one to Sellers and the other to Galloway). The fault here is NOT Portis, or any other offensive player. This one is 110% on the defense!

I second this reply the fault was on the defense, and Portis is still a beast, he blocks good and is pretty reliable.

Someone made a pretty good point in another thread :

Portis' problem comes in part because - more than most backs - he's always got two arms on the ball protecting it. Which compromises his balance, vision, and maybe even peripheral vision. It's a hell of a lot easier to maintain balance and generate speed without both arms tucked close to your body.

It's nice he's protecting the ball, but he needs to work on protecting it with a firm one-armed grip so he's not sacrificing balance and speed.

Great point. I'd also add to that when Portis gets comfortable and feels confident he won't get met in the backfield he stops holding the ball with both hands immediately after taking it. I like how he's making sure, while the Oline needs to gel and get better, he's not going to cost us anything because he's so desperate to make a play only to get stripped from behind or take a massive loss like Larry did. He's taking the hand off and banging it in there, holding the ball with both hands so nothing bad happens in that pile. I think as the Oline gets more consistent he'll start being more patient behind the line and start running to make a big play more than to not take a loss or allow a TO.

I feel like this is exactly what happens every season with him.

Archived