Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blade of GRASS vs. Portis, advantage GRASS....

Zarg

Yes yes, the same Portis who is arguably the best blocking back in the league and has, already in the first three games, lit countless blitzing LBs up with authority is afraid of a bunch of DBs and fell down because he didn't want to take a hit. :rolleyes:

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and go with his explanation as Shanahan explained. That his wrist was hurting (and we saw that last week against the Texans) and he didn't want to risk a fumble. And those pics up there are way off, he started to go down as the DBs gained ground on him, it would not have been a TD if he kept running no matter what, and the most he would've gained was another 3-4 yards max before they got to him.

If someone can post the video of it it'll be clear, but that's just unfortunate those pics were posted in a way to act as if Portis had any chance at a TD.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and go with his explanation as Shanahan explained. That his wrist was hurting (and we saw that last week against the Texans) and he didn't want to risk a fumble.

I'm not buying that from Shanahan.

If so, why would Portis get the hand-off on 3rd & 2, from the Rams 2 in the second half. With the high risk of a fumble, that would be outright stupid in a scenario of certain contact.

However, we did only run about 5 times in the whole second half so there is little evidence to prove or disprove what was going on.

I'm not buying that from Shanahan.

If so' date=' why would Portis get the hand-off on 3rd & 2, from the Rams 2 in the second half. With the high risk of a fumble, that would be outright stupid in a scenario of certain contact.

However, we did only run about 5 times in the whole second half so there is little evidence to prove or disprove what was going on.[/quote']

The problem on that specific play was the angle the DB was closing on Portis with. According to Portis, he went down to protect the ball from what he felt was someone closing in on that angle trying to yank it out. It wasn't so much as him being a high risk to fumble, just that specific play and why he went down. You could argue that running in between the tackles with both hands on the ball wouldn't be an issue vs. running in the open field at full speed with DBs closing in on you from behind.

Archived