Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think we saw what we can expect from Joey Galloway

justice98

I figured that Moss and Cooley would get most of the work, but where was Davis? I see him as a 2-3 catch per game guy, but I barely remember seeing him out there.
I saw him out there blocking at least one time and we are going to have to have a little talk with him about his blocking...lol.

I've said all through the preseason that while Galloway's straight line speed still looks pretty good, he's definitely lost a lot of quickness getting in and out of his breaks. Shanahan seems to love him for his hard work and reliable route running, which makes him look great in practice, but he's just not getting open when he lines up against another teams top corners.

We should really be finding ways to get the ball in Devin Thomas' hands, he looked great returning kicks and we've seen that he's a load to bring down in the open field in the past. He may be inconsistent in his route running and assignments, but this should be a trial by fire, throw him in and see if he can learn quickly. He's the only guy I see, outside Moss of course, who has the tools to be a legitimate big time player, and we certainly aren't getting much from the guys ahead of him.

Moss spoke after the game and said to expect a lot more from the offense in the future.

We played a great defense last night, won the game and people are talking about cutting players already. Unbelievable!

I think that our head coach is showing that he knows WTF he's doing.

In Mike we trust!

I've said all through the preseason that while Galloway's straight line speed still looks pretty good, he's definitely lost a lot of quickness getting in and out of his breaks. Shanahan seems to love him for his hard work and reliable route running, which makes him look great in practice, but he's just not getting open when he lines up against another teams top corners.

We should really be finding ways to get the ball in Devin Thomas' hands, he looked great returning kicks and we've seen that he's a load to bring down in the open field in the past. He may be inconsistent in his route running and assignments, but this should be a trial by fire, throw him in and see if he can learn quickly. He's the only guy I see, outside Moss of course, who has the tools to be a legitimate big time player, and we certainly aren't getting much from the guys ahead of him.

So, what you are saying is that you evaluate players better than our two time SB winning head coach that is Mike Shanahan and know what's best for the Redskins.

You have to find ways to get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. Even if DT isn't the best route runner and has had troubles learning the Shanahan offense you run him on a reverse, screen, whatever. Just get the ball in his hands and let his athleticism do the rest. You saw Dallas go to Dez Bryant early and often last night, despite him not even playing in the preseason. We need to do the same with DT, imo.

Zero catches and only 1 target for our starting WR. We can't have this. And he's the second best WR on the team?? This dude is finished. Really no contribution from the WR corps outside of Moss.

You realize that he was open on his only target?

Open for a 1st down?

Define best because its a very broad definition.

He's probably the best route runner, he probably still has good speed, good hands.

He's probably not as quick or the most dynamic run after the catch.

And probably has the least endurance.

And although he starts as the X WR i think Armstrong is the actual No.2 WR.

But, the fact remains that on his 1 target he was open.

(And if it wasn't for McNabb being pressured he would have had a 1st down)

And getting open for a 1st down isn't my definition of 'done'.

We have no idea what Joey's role is on our team.

Personally i think he's here to shephard the rest of our WRs corps.

And provide insurance in case of lack of performance and to start games to take the pressure off.

l_809d51fdcb474de18895efe0357956e6.jpg

l_8a173139b873444697b8c6b717b22a66.jpg

l_8a552d4f595b42e1abd6cbcabc349075.jpg

l_14148057becd435aa84f4ad708278eaf.jpg

l_8bc6d51ad5c04ca0bf644432e51e3b2c.jpg

l_733d114f65774623842fb51df14816fc.jpg

Moss spoke after the game and said to expect a lot more from the offense in the future.

We played a great defense last night, won the game and people are talking about cutting players already. Unbelievable!

I think that our head coach is showing that he knows WTF he's doing.

In Mike we trust!

Hail to that!

Galloway may be 38 but he is still a better receiver than Roydell Williams or DT.

I doubt the Redskins went into the season planning on not throwing him the ball.

I chastised the Skins in another post for not throwing the ball to Fred Davis either.

Does anyone here doubt that Davis is going to go through the season with many ZERO catch games either? :)

You guys are hilarious :laugh:

Talking about Dez Bryant and Devin Thomas in the same breath............

Bryant is a budding star who is a rookie but is earning playing time ahead of Roy Williams and Sam Hurd.

Meanwhile, Devin Thomas almost got cut by the Redskins and seems to have been kept by Shanahan for his contributions on special teams, not anything he is going to do at WR.

The fact we did not see him in there in the Red Zone packages where Armstrong saw the 2 fade passes back to back I think is evidence of how far down the depth chart at WR Thomas actually is.

If Joey is healhty and has enough endurance there's no question he's a better receiver then Roydell/DT.

But, i still think that Roydell and Devin dynamic can contribute as parts of the WR corps.

Roydell reminds me of a poor man's Housh, a possession WR that's hungry to make a catch.

Devin has great speed to run vertical routes and can be dynamic after the catch.

But when running non-vertical routes can probably only be trusted to run simple routes stationary catch type routes e.g.: WR screens, hitches, comebacks

I was shocked that Davis went through a game without a target.

And i hope it not a trend, maybe it was a because of Dallas pressure?

Either way i'm looking forward to seeing double TEs passing sets.

NFL Week 1

Andre Johnson: 3 catches for 33 yards

Larry Fitzgerald: 3 catches for 43 yards

DeSean Jackson: 4 catches for 30 yards

Austin Collie: 11 catches for 163 yards

Brandon Lloyd: 5 catches for 117 yards

Is this what we should expect from each of these receivers for the rest of the season? :ols:

So, what you are saying is that you evaluate players better than our two time SB winning head coach that is Mike Shanahan and know what's best for the Redskins.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not a professional scout and I'm not qualified to make personnel decisions for an NFL franchise, but it's not like Shanahan or any other NFL coach is infallible or above reproach. He certainly had his fair share of poor roster decisions while in Denver, those are well documented. If we as fans stopped voicing our opinion on this message board and just assumed and every decision made by the Skins was the correct one, this board would get really boring in a hurry.

I don't doubt that Galloway can still be a legitimate NFL receiver, I just think that next season, when Galloway is likely retired, all those reps he took in this new offense won't mean much. If he was head an shoulders above the guys behind him and helping us on a potential super bowl run that would be one thing, but in the four games where he's had extensive playing time (3 preseason) he's come up with a total of 3 catches. If he was just some guy, and not a well established NFL name, we would all be wondering why he's still on the team.

As a fan, I don't get to see practice, just games. Unfortunately Galloway hasn't shown much in the games so far. I hope I'm wrong and he can make significant contributions this year as a #2 wide out, but I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

NFL Week 1

Is this what we should expect from each of these receivers for the rest of the season? :ols:

Thank you!!!

Both defenses came to play last night, and typically this early in the season defenses are ahead of offenses. Santana just said this is the best receiving core he's ever seen here, and now week 1 we're calling him clinically insane?

Let's see the Houston game against a less so dominant defensive before we say all hope is lost...

I noticed NE opened in 5 wide. Later used two TE's out wide with Welker that went for 7. I dont think we went 5 wide all last year. Even if our WR's suck, lets get them out there and see what they can do, confuse the defense, make it more difficult on them to stop our mediocre corp. Galloway has got to sink or swim. Looking at his stats in recent years, he is sinking. How is he our starter? We seem to be putting a lot of stock into Armstrong.

We look to be heading into yet another year with no viable goal to go endzone WR option. Galloway is not the solution even if he lands a deep ball every now and then.

First game guys, maybe the game plan was to feed the ball to Cooley because of the poor lb covering ability and lack of safety depth. Cowboys corners are their strength in the secondary with Jenkins and Newman. I do agree that Devin might of made that catch over Armstrong but that is just wishful thinking. On to Houston.

This faith in Joey Galloway is blowing my mind. He hasn't been remotely productive in 3 years, yet for some strange reason, you think he's all the sudden going to find the fountain of youth and start lighting up the stat sheet. Crazy.

I agree. If Tom Freaking Brady couldn't revive his career, it's not going to happen in DC. He's only taking valuable school time from Thomas and Armstrong. If he's not getting open he's hurting their development by being out there.

There are some very stupid people on message boards; for all you know Galloway could have been open all night. He can't catch the ball unless it is thrown to him. Unless you have the coaches tape; you have no clue.

It's always a good clue a WR can't get separation when there isn't a ball thrown to him all night.

It's probably safe to assume Galloway has straight away speed, and runs a fair route better than anyone else on the depth chart behind him. But has no quickness out of cuts to get any separation.

Thinking otherwise would be calling McNabb incompetent.

NFL Week 1

My prediction is Desean Jackson is going to be one of the most miserable players in the NFL by season's end.

Archived