Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

a Dallas fan's perspective on the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry

Kurenai

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd be interested in hearing from a cowboys fan, their take on the actual rivalry itself. Do you know the meaning behind the rivalry?

Of course they don't man, that's because their fan base has been so watered down by losers that latch onto the most hyped thing they can see, like gold diggers, except for free. So, I guess that's more like groupies.

They've got no clue who their backups are on their own team, why would they know anything about the team's history? They just feel good calling themselves Cowboy's fans, even though it means nothing because they'll only show up for the successes.

In a few years most of them will be wearing some other teams stuff.

In my eyes, as well as many of eyes of my fellow skins fans on this MB, the rivalry always has, and always will, continue to be as fierce as the day it was born. Not necessarily because of who's won more/less games since it started, or who's teams' have been more in contention or not (those are both entirely two seperate talking points that get carried out in the name of the rivalry, overshadowing the rivarly itself), but simply because of the actions that occurred that caused the rivalry in the first place.

I'd be interested in hearing from a cowboys fan, their take on the actual rivalry itself. Do you know the meaning behind the rivalry?

Interesting point.

I do "know" the history of the Redskins fight song and Clint Murchison, George Preston Marshall and selling the rights to a fight song, etc. So I am aware of the origins of the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry. But I wasn't around when that happened (that was many years before I was born,) so honestly, it's like reading a historical textbook.

I would probably be all heated up if I were a fan back then, but since I wasn't around for it, and can only read about it, it's really hard to get riled up with any sense of passion. And to answer your second question, if something like that happened today, I would certainly be into it.

My interest in the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry is, more about current or fairly recent happenings (i.e., the past 2 decades) than about something that took place in 1960, which was only a few years after the Korean War and the Eisenhower administration.

Thank you for posting and welcome to the board...

I'll leave out the real hidden message.. Haha. But if this guy really thinks we are just going to bow down to his Cowboy greatness, he's got another thing coming. It's just to bad that their fanbase doesn't have the passion like we do.

A rivalry that is one-sided...

Blah. Why then do some Dallas turds live on our forums, it's not like there's an I-30 bridge anywhere near Landover. One sided, please, like when do Redskins fans troll the Seahawks boards; we dont, 'cause we don't care.

It's true that both sides of a rivalry often don't see it with equal passion or fervor. In recent times (the last decade especially,) this rivalry has lost some of its interest with Dallas fans (who have largely moved on to hating the Eagles or Giants instead), but still seems to be very strong on the Redskins' side.

A rivalry that is one-sided typically generates more hatred from the underdog side. Browns fans probably hate the Steelers more than Steelers fans hate the Browns, for instance. The Cowboys did beat the Redskins 10 times in a row from 1998-2002, and have won five out of the last eight meetings, too.

There's no doubt that this rivalry was far more intense in the 1970s, when both teams were perennial playoff contenders. The rivalry did also have some zest thrown in when the Redskins stunned Dallas 14-13 on MNF and later crushed the Cowboys 35-7, in the 2005 season. But it has been, overall, a lackluster rivalry.

Another interesting note: I lived in the D.C. area for nearly 3 years. I've noticed (as some writers have as well) that there is a very large contingent of Cowboys fans in Washington, D.C. You don't see a similarly-sized fanbase of Skins fans in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

So what? Do we CARE that you guys dont hate us as much? Not one bit. I really dont care what you guys think about us. Most of you are clueless bandwagon fans anyway.

We havent been that good of a team in recent history so you KNOW whatever Redskin fans there are are true fans and NOT bandwagon fans. We know who our arch rival is. A bulk of the bandwagon Cowgirl fans are lucky to even know all the players on their team, much less who their rivals are.

Most of you are clueless bandwagon fans anyway.

We havent been that good of a team in recent history so you KNOW whatever Redskin fans there are are true fans and NOT bandwagon fans. We know who our arch rival is. A bulk of the bandwagon Cowgirl fans are lucky to even know all the players on their team, much less who their rivals are.

If Dallas fans are bandwagoners, why would they ever latch on to the Cowboys (who, for 13 years, didn't win a playoff game, as many here are eager to point out?) Wouldn't all such fans long ago have defected to the Patriots, Colts, or Steelers?

That Dallas still drew a large following during those 13 years of suckitude actually speaks of a very loyal fanbase, not the other way around.

I'm a Redskins fan (grew up in DC) and a Michigan Wolverines fan (went there for grad school).

One of the best things about being a Wolverine is the rivalry with Ohio State. For the 16 years from 1985 until 2000, Ohio State only won that game three times, but the rivalry was just as intense. Right now, those rotten bastages from Ohio State own Michigan, having won 6 in a row, but the rivalry remains. It doesn't matter if it is one sided - it is a rivalry. It is history. It defines both teams. Ohio State understands this, and Michigan understands this. Having an archrival is fun.

This Cowboy fan doesn't understand this. Too bad for him.

I'll leave out the real hidden message.. Haha. But if this guy really thinks we are just going to bow down to his Cowboy greatness, he's got another thing coming. It's just to bad that their fanbase doesn't have the passion like we do.

He actually knows his stuff. I like Tony Romo sits to pee also. I think he will be one of the all time greats that is if he ever plays for the CFL. Romo sits to pee invented suck....

Interesting point.

I do "know" the history of the Redskins fight song and Clint Murchison, George Preston Marshall and selling the rights to a fight song, etc. So I am aware of the origins of the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry. But I wasn't around when that happened (that was many years before I was born,) so honestly, it's like reading a historical textbook.

I would probably be all heated up if I were a fan back then, but since I wasn't around for it, and can only read about it, it's really hard to get riled up with any sense of passion. And to answer your second question, if something like that happened today, I would certainly be into it.

My interest in the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry is, more about current or fairly recent happenings (i.e., the past 2 decades) than about something that took place in 1960, which was only a few years after the Korean War and the Eisenhower administration.

Well WWII happened a long time ago too, but I still hate the Nazis for what they did.

"Dippy" :rotflmao: Why can't we have better, smarter, more creative trolls? Why is it that every year some Cowboys fan think he can be a clever troll by claiming there's no rivalry between the Skins and Cowboys? It never works.

We do... His name is RoyallyPwned And we love him dearly

If Dallas fans are bandwagoners, why would they ever latch on to the Cowboys (who, for 13 years, didn't win a playoff game, as many here are eager to point out?)

I don't know, why don't you explain it to us since you're an expert on the subject? I would love to hear why a bandwagon fan has latched onto a team that's been hyped more than anyone else, for no reason, since 1995.

Just ban this dude and get it over with. He's spent most of his own thread apologizing for his stupid comments about ST and hurricane Katrina. He's going to get himself banned eventually. Just hand him his helmet back on his way out, so he doesn't run into any more poles on the way home.

eric_badlands_booker_burger.jpg

Is this what you were looking for TK?

We do... His name is RoyallyPwned And we love him dearly
Only thing is, RP isn't a troll lol...he's one of the few (very few) good Cowboys fans around here. :yes:

Yeah, RP is a good guy, I don't consider him a troll. But, just for arguments sake, even if he were one, he's only 1. We need more like him. We need less Cowboys fans that have to run to Wikipedia every 12 seconds to look up basic information that was asked of them that any real fan would know.

Archived