Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

a Dallas fan's perspective on the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry

Kurenai

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It's true that both sides of a rivalry often don't see it with equal passion or fervor. In recent times (the last decade especially,) this rivalry has lost some of its interest with Dallas fans (who have largely moved on to hating the Eagles or Giants instead), but still seems to be very strong on the Redskins' side.

A rivalry that is one-sided typically generates more hatred from the underdog side. Browns fans probably hate the Steelers more than Steelers fans hate the Browns, for instance. The Cowboys did beat the Redskins 10 times in a row from 1998-2002, and have won five out of the last eight meetings, too.

There's no doubt that this rivalry was far more intense in the 1970s, when both teams were perennial playoff contenders. The rivalry did also have some zest thrown in when the Redskins stunned Dallas 14-13 on MNF and later crushed the Cowboys 35-7, in the 2005 season. But it has been, overall, a lackluster rivalry.

Another interesting note: I lived in the D.C. area for nearly 3 years. I've noticed (as some writers have as well) that there is a very large contingent of Cowboys fans in Washington, D.C. You don't see a similarly-sized fanbase of Skins fans in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Thank you for posting and welcome to the board. I think Dallas has a very good team and Texas is a very happenin spot for big bugs, roadkill and stupid fans

What is wrong with you? We're trying to have a civil conversation and you bring up katrina.

What about Katrina? I never said anything disparaging about Katrina.

If I said, "Hurricane Katrina was a strong Atlantic hurricane that involved very low atmospheric pressure (down to 902 millibars) and at one point had a briefly sustained wind speed of 175 miles per hour," that would also be an instance of "bringing up Katrina," wouldn't it? Would that make our conversation any less civil?

There's an interesting note to this game. After the Skins beat Dallas 27-6, the Redskins' own website (www.redskins.com) brought up the fact that Sean Taylor (#21) had died earlier this season, and the Skins had beaten Dallas by 21 points.......Redskins.Com claimed that there was something significant - something poignant or meaningful - about this coincidence.

Guess what? A week later, the Skins were defeated in the playoffs by the Seahawks, 35-14. How many points did Washington lose to Seattle by? ........21 points... Was there something poignant or meaningful about Sean Taylor's jersey number, then? ...If so, Redskins.Com certainly didn't mention it.

What comes around, goes around. That's all I have to say.

Actually some people mentioned that the loss had A LOT of sentimental value...

If you believe in that kind of stuff, us beating Dallass by 21 signified that he was still there, us losing to Seattle by 21 signified that while he was still there, he couldn't help us any longer, it was up to the players to play for themselves not for him.

and the recent history we swept you in '05, you swept us last year, we've split in '06, '07, and '08... Therefore if you do the math (I'm kidding... I don't wanna make you think that hard, I'll do it for you) 5-5 for both teams...

Obviously this rivalry has been one sided... It just sucks that that "one sidedness" is for NOBODY...

Get your facts straight... We won the final Redskins Cowboys game at RFK, we won the last Redskins Cowboys game at Texas Stadium... We've beat you in order to secure a playoff berth, we've beat you in week 14 followed by 2 other NFCE Victories in a row to get to the playoffs...

You know, I've been to Dallas for Skins/Cowboys games (twice actually), and I've been to DC for Skins/Cowboys games... I'd MUCH rather be a Skins fan in Dallas than the other way around... You call it southern hospitality, I call it lack of PASSION...

Oh yeah... 57-20 That's the combined scores for both teams head to head in Playoff games...

Talk about winning/losing when it counts eh?

If I said, "Hurricane Katrina was a strong Atlantic hurricane that involved very low atmospheric pressure (down to 902 millibars) and at one point had a briefly sustained wind speed of 175 miles per hour," that would also be an instance of "bringing up Katrina," wouldn't it? Would that make our conversation any less civil?

Hey relax, all I'm saying is you're wrong. Let just agree that dallas sucks and move on with our lives.

Neither team has done anything noteworthy in the playoffs in the last 15 years. The rivalry is still there, but not nearly to the extent it was in the 1970s and most of the 1980s.

Definitely. A rivalry tends to be the most heated when both teams are at a high level of caliber - and especially if they also regularly stand in each other's way come playoff time, or at least qualifying-for--the-playoffs time.

Now you are deflecting.

I used to think that the hype about Cowboys fans was just a myth, but you have proven the myth.

No need to call Myth-Busters, mark this Finding: CONFIRMED.

No one here has ever been turned away or flamed because team affiliation, as long as the football talk has been intelligent and respectful.

You have been neither. The sad part is, you don't even know it.

Log off, shut down, go to your room, and sit in the corner. Stay there until you can explain what you did wrong.

I think this puke fan is scared about Sunday night, and feels the need to compensate by saying the Skins care more because the Pukes are a better team.

I smell blood in the water! :beavisnbutthead:

Lol.

I feel that Dallas is still slightly better than Washington (as a team overall), but the Skins did have the league's 4th-ranked defense last year and the Dallas O-line is depleted. For all purposes, it's an evenly balanced matchup, considering the Skins' home-field advantage for this particular one.

Guest Spearfeather

I noticed how he said Dallas had won five of the last eight, instead of saying they won five of the last ten.

In the biggest game the Redskins could ever play against the cowboys, the Redskins are 2 - 0.

It's like " Doc " Walker said, " we like to rip your heart out when it matters the most ".

attachment.php?attachmentid=1469&d=1058811099

It's true that both sides of a rivalry often don't see it with equal passion or fervor. In recent times (the last decade especially,) this rivalry has lost some of its interest with Dallas fans (who have largely moved on to hating the Eagles or Giants instead), but still seems to be very strong on the Redskins' side.

In my eyes, as well as many of eyes of my fellow skins fans on this MB, the rivalry always has, and always will, continue to be as fierce as the day it was born. Not necessarily because of who's won more/less games since it started, or who's teams' have been more in contention or not (those are both entirely two seperate talking points that get carried out in the name of the rivalry, overshadowing the rivarly itself), but simply because of the actions that occurred that caused the rivalry in the first place.

I'd be interested in hearing from a cowboys fan, their take on the actual rivalry itself. Do you know the meaning behind the rivalry?

And as a fan of your team, would you tend to form a rivalry towards a team (and their fans) if the same actions that caused the aforementioned rivalry occurred between your team and another team?

Lol.

I feel that Dallas is still slightly better than Washington (as a team overall), but the Skins did have the league's 4th-ranked defense last year and the Dallas O-line is depleted. For all purposes, it's an evenly balanced matchup, considering the Skins' home-field advantage for this particular one.

You forgot the most glaring difference, Shannahan v. Wade.

Add you invoking the spirit of the fallen hero.

SeanTaylor4.gif

That was never the intention. What I am trying to highlight is, simply, a logical inconsistency.

The Redskins organization (or the website at least) attempted to draw a correlation between the jersey number of Sean Taylor, and the margin of victory in a game over Dallas.

That makes as much sense as saying that there would be something poignant or eerie if the Saints were to win a game by the score of 23-8.....because Hurricane Katrina began on the date of August 23rd.

Lastly, if there was something eerie at work about the Skins beating Dallas by 21, then why wasn't there something equally significant about the Skins losing to the Seahawks by 21? This is my question.

Because in the former situation, it makes a feel good, motivational story, in the latter it's simply a ****ty outcome. That picture somebody posted on here where sean taylor writes 'we want dallas' was posted on the forums here the week before that game. The picture actually made its way to into the Redskins locker room before that game and MANY players talked about how much that meant to them and how much it motivated them. You may say that winning by 21 was meaningless, but nevertheless the WINNING part was no coincidence as it may have been the first time fans on a forum have contributed DIRECTLY to their team winning. Ever. If you want to begrudge the symbolism of us winning by 21 because it was a mere coincidence, you CANNOT begrudge us of being inspired enough to smack the cowboys around that day to the extent that we won by 21. If the media and fans want to make something of winning by 21, who cares? good for them. I hope it gives them a warm fuzzy and consoles them in some regards to their loss off ST. If you want to belittle it as nothing more than 'logical inconsistency', good for you, i'm sure that gives you a warm fuzzy as well.

In my eyes, as well as many of eyes of my fellow skins fans on this MB, the rivalry always has, and always will, continue to be as fierce as the day it was born. Not necessarily because of who's won more/less games since it started, or who's teams' have been more in contention or not (those are both entirely two seperate talking points that get carried out in the name of the rivalry, overshadowing the rivarly itself), but simply because of the actions that occurred that caused the rivalry in the first place.

I'd be interested in hearing from a cowboys fan, their take on the actual rivalry itself. Do you know the meaning behind the rivalry?

And as a fan of your team, would you tend to form a rivalry towards a team (and their fans) if the same actions that caused the aforementioned rivalry occurred between your team and another team?

And he's speed reading Wikipedia in 3 2 1......

Archived