Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama ends the war in Iraq. 'Now it's time to turn the page'

skinsfan07

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Discuss

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/01/obama-formally-ends-iraq-war

Barack Obama formally brought an end to US combat operations in Iraq last night, seven years and 165 days after the invasion began, and declared it was time for America "to turn the page".

In a televised address to the nation from the Oval Office, the president said America had paid a huge price for the war begun by George W Bush to topple Saddam Hussein.

"Tonight, I am announcing that the American combat mission in Iraq has ended. Operation Iraqi Freedom is over, and the Iraqi people now have lead responsibility for the security of their country," he said.

Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki hailed the restoration of sovereignty to Iraq: "Iraq today is sovereign and independent. With the execution of the troop pullout, our relations with the United States have entered a new stage between two equal, sovereign countries."

A ceremony is to be held in Baghdad today, attended by the US vice-president, Joe Biden, and Maliki, to mark the handover of responsibility for military operations from the US to Iraqi forces. Obama, whose early opposition to the invasion helped propel his White House candidacy, presented last night as the near-fulfilment of a key 2008 presidential election campaign pledge to end the war.

"This was my pledge to the American people as a candidate for this office. Last February, I announced a plan that would bring our combat brigades out of Iraq, while redoubling our efforts to strengthen Iraq's security forces and support its government and people. That is what we have done," he said.

more at link.....

I think it's funny that those on the Right were waiting for a "victory" speech and Obama gave a level headed, "turn the page" speech; no "mission accomplished", no "we won because of my choices and leadership", no "we are victorious", just a nice simply understated, "turn the page".

exactly. But as always the right will find a way to make it seem like Obama did something wrong. "He took too long" "He wasn't convincing enough with his speech" etc, etc.

I think it's funny that those on the Right were waiting for a "victory" speech and Obama gave a level headed, "turn the page" speech; no "mission accomplished", no "we won because of my choices and leadership", no "we are victorious", just a nice simply understated, "turn the page".

Yep.

Given the motivations, sales job, lead-in, planning, execution, politics, and financing of an elective war -- driven overwhelmingly by his predecessor's administration and party -- "turn the page" was exactly the right approach for the President to take. Hope the worst is over; make every good-faith effort to begin largely extracting ourselves without tipping that cart out in the desert; and then move the hell on to less disastrous ventures (of which Afghanistan may or may not be one -- but at least now we're actively escalating one fewer).

I dunno... a lot of people seem to have trouble recognizing a small dose of comparatively humble stewardship. Perhaps they're personally incentivized not to see it as such -- or perhaps they've genuinely normalized to 16 years of exactly the opposite of it.

a friend of mine said he said something about defeat. Is this true?

We probably won't know for a few years if we did any good.

I don't know why people bring up "mission accomplished". There is more than one mission during a war. Our mission of overthrowing Sadam was accomplished. There was nothing wrong with that statement, and it was the end of our full on invasion. I was boots on the ground days after this and our ROE changed a couple of days after we got there, from shoot on sight to only if you come under fire or security reasons.

We still have 3 or 4 combat brigades over there, it's just there mission is to train and support. However if the IA gets in trouble we will be there as big brother to hand out ass kickings as needed.

a friend of mine said he said something about defeat. Is this true?

"defeat" appeared three times in the speech:

1 - "The Americans who have served in Iraq completed every mission they were given. They defeated a regime that had terrorized its people."

2 - "We will disrupt, dismantle and defeat al Qaeda, while preventing Afghanistan from again serving as a base for terrorists."

3 - "As the leader of the free world, America will do more than just defeat on the battlefield those who offer hatred and destruction -- we will also lead among those who are willing to work together to expand freedom and opportunity for all people."

Here is the full text of the speech: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/08/text_of_president_barack_obama_1.html

Despite what Obama said, it's not over. It was a rather Orwellian speech.

He was actually pretty specific...

"That's what we've done. We've removed nearly 100,000 U.S. troops from Iraq. We've closed or transferred to the Iraqis hundreds of bases. And we have moved millions of pieces of equipment out of Iraq.

Going forward, a transitional force of U.S. troops will remain in Iraq with a different mission: advising and assisting Iraq's Security Forces, supporting Iraqi troops in targeted counter terrorism missions, and protecting our civilians. Consistent with our agreement with the Iraqi government, all U.S. troops will leave by the end of next year."

We know (if we're honest with ourselves) what's going to happen with this politically here at home. Iraq is a disaster. There is no government. The head of the government lost the election and won't give up power. The whole point of the surge was to a) knock down the insurgency and B) give Iraqi's time and breathing room to come to a political reconciliation. One was accomplished (for the time being) and the other not at all.

It's just a matter of time. There are too many forces both within Iraq and outside of Iraq (i.e. Iran) who don't want Iraq to succeed as a nation and as a democracy. Something really, really bad is going to happen and there will probably be a civil war. And then, even though it was probably inevitable given to just how poorly the whole idea of going into Iraq was thought out (the long term anyway), Obama will be blamed for it. He's weak, he didn't see the mission to its finish, he sold out the Iraqi people, blah blah blah. Just watch.

I'm so over politics.

Great, but we are still in Afghanistan and will have to work real hardto keep our damn paws out of Iran.

I wasn't really serious.

While it is good news that we are "out" of Iraq, the country will never be happy as a whole. I highly doubt that there will be a military conflict that will unite the country as long as I live.

I don't get much exposure to mainstream news any more. Part of it is by design. The exposure that I get the most of is Fox News (not by choice, it's on at work). Today, I saw plenty of coverage of the hostage situation in Maryland and Hurricane Earl.

Clearly they should have been covering this... discussing this. I know full well that they would have if there was a republican in office. I didn't hear one thing about it until I logged on to ES tonight. I sure saw plenty of the live coverage about the Hostage situation. I sure saw plenty of "oh my god the sky is falling" Hurricane Earl coverage. I saw plenty of Glen Beck tooting his own horn about how he thinks he's the next coming of Jesus Christ when he's just a lame ex disc jockey.

Piece of **** news station.

I wasn't really serious.

While it is good news that we are "out" of Iraq, the country will never be happy as a whole. I highly doubt that there will be a military conflict that will unite the country as long as I live.

I don't get much exposure to mainstream news any more. Part of it is by design. The exposure that I get the most of is Fox News (not by choice, it's on at work). Today, I saw plenty of coverage of the hostage situation in Maryland and Hurricane Earl.

Clearly they should have been covering this... discussing this. I know full well that they would have if there was a republican in office. I didn't hear one thing about it until I logged on to ES tonight. I sure saw plenty of the live coverage about the Hostage situation. I sure saw plenty of "oh my god the sky is falling" Hurricane Earl coverage. I saw plenty of Glen Beck tooting his own horn about how he thinks he's the next coming of Jesus Christ when he's just a lame ex disc jockey.

Piece of **** news station.

Faux News is awful. OMGosh lol. I just assume it as a comedy news channel at this point. Don't think I've ever willingly watched that channel. What a crock of **** everyone on there is.

Destino,

I really object to the turn the page memo that he is trying to push. He is implying the war is over when it is not. There are still 50,000 troops in Iraq whose main mission will be counterterrorism. It's the end of combat troops in name only.

Did you read my post? He mentioned that specifically:

"Going forward, a transitional force of U.S. troops will remain in Iraq with a different mission: advising and assisting Iraq's Security Forces, supporting Iraqi troops in targeted counter terrorism missions, and protecting our civilians."

He even gave a date for when those troops would join the bulk of US forces that have exited Iraq.

The whole point of the surge was to a) knock down the insurgency and B) give Iraqi's time and breathing room to come to a political reconciliation. One was accomplished (for the time being) and the other not at all.

So you mean the surge didn't actually work? How dare you suggest such a thing.

Did you read my post? He mentioned that specifically:

"Going forward, a transitional force of U.S. troops will remain in Iraq with a different mission: advising and assisting Iraq's Security Forces, supporting Iraqi troops in targeted counter terrorism missions, and protecting our civilians."

He even gave a date for when those troops would join the bulk of US forces that have exited Iraq.

I did, but he day say turn the page. Tell that to the families of the 50,000 troops. He also said that combat troops have been withdrawn. That's bs.

Oh and we will see if they will all leave by the end of next year. I somehow doubt it.

Archived