Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Donovan McNabb a top 10 QB?

MattFancy

Interesting debate going on right now on 980. Sheehan wants to know what Redskin players are in the top 10 of their position. A caller called in and said McNabb. Sheehan disagreed, well I disagree with Sheehan. What 9 QBs are better than McNabb? I'm not just talking fantasy wise, I'm talking wins and numbers.

Here's my top 10 in no particular order:

Peyton Manning

Brady

Brees

McNabb

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

Romo sits to pee

Schaub

Rivers

Favre

McNabb is 4th in wins among active QBs. So I'm not sure how he isn't a top 10 QB.

For the record, Sheehan says that Cooley and Fletcher are the only players the Skins have that are top 10 at their positions.

He's top 10 but too high on your list. I would put Rodgers (more on potental that track record) Big Ben and Rivers above him at least. You could also make an arguement for Romo sits to pee and Favre.

Well I said its not really in any order. Maybe the top 3 are, but after that the rest of the list is up for debate.

I consider Hall top 10 or very close

Not sure about that.

I'd put:

Revis

Asomugha

Both Bengals CBs (Joseph and Hall)

Bailey (even though he's on the downside of his career)

Rodgers-Cromartie

Newman (though overrated)

Rashean Mathis

Charles Woodson and Al Harris

Trufant

And probably a few more, like Finnegan, Tillman, and even Ronde Barber, before Hall. Hall makes plays, but he gambles a lot and is a poor tackler. He'll have to sure that up before he's considered a top 10 CB, IMO.

Since we haven't played 2010 yet, all you have to look is to the stats for 2009.

McNabb is 17th in passing yards; 13 in TD's; 12th in QB rating; 10th in yards per game; 20th in completion pct.

One of the stats that I don't have the time to work up is winning percentage.

He doesn't throw many INT's compared to TD's (top 10 there)

His yards per game are top 10.

His winning percentage is top 10.

If you go by stats, he isn't top 10...unless you are talking about wins!

DM4 wins games. So, he is definitely a top 10 QB in my eyes.

How are Orakpo and Haynesworth not listed in the top 10 at their positions? By the end of the year, I think LL is going to have such a monster year in his role, he'll be in the top 10 as well...

I think D Mac is borderline top 10, and call me a hater, but **** the Girls, Romo sits to pee is NOT a top 10 QB...for fantasy purposes, maybe? But in real life, I can easily name 15 QB's I would rather taking snaps for a team if I was building a franchise. Dude crumbles in big games and always will...hope he plays for Dallas FOREVER....

Not sure about that.

I'd put:

Revis

Asomugha

Both Bengals CBs (Joseph and Hall)

Bailey (even though he's on the downside of his career)

Rodgers-Cromartie

Newman (though overrated)

Rashean Mathis

Charles Woodson and Al Harris

Trufant

And probably a few more, like Finnegan, Tillman, and even Ronde Barber, before Hall. Hall makes plays, but he gambles a lot and is a poor tackler. He'll have to sure that up before he's considered a top 10 CB, IMO.

When factoring in age, career accomplishments and big play ability I do not feel all those guys rank ahead of D Hall. Revis, Namdi and Bailey are in a class of there own (Woodson arguably as well). The rest of those names will shift from year to year. D Hall's better years are ahead of him and he already has two pro bowls on his resume.

Since we haven't played 2010 yet, all you have to look is to the stats for 2009.

McNabb is 17th in passing yards; 13 in TD's; 12th in QB rating; 10th in yards per game; 20th in completion pct.

One of the stats that I don't have the time to work up is winning percentage.

He doesn't throw many INT's compared to TD's (top 10 there)

His yards per game are top 10.

His winning percentage is top 10.

If you go by stats, he isn't top 10...unless you are talking about wins!

DM4 wins games. So, he is definitely a top 10 QB in my eyes.

QBs don't win games. Teams win games.

Based on stats, Donovan was about middle of the pack in 2009.

McNabb is top 10 IMO.

So are Cooley, Flecth, Big Al and one could argue for CP, Jamaal Brown, Mike Sellers, Hall, and maybe Orakpo in terms of pass rushing OLBs.

Now Sheehan is saying Sellers is a top 10 FB. But not all teams use FBs or just use FBs for blocking purposes. So its hard to rank FBs since not every team uses them and not all use them the same.

Interesting debate going on right now on 980. Sheehan wants to know what Redskin players are in the top 10 of their position. A caller called in and said McNabb. Sheehan disagreed, well I disagree with Sheehan. What 9 QBs are better than McNabb? I'm not just talking fantasy wise, I'm talking wins and numbers.

Here's my top 10 in no particular order:

Peyton Manning

Brady

Brees

McNabb

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

Romo sits to pee

Schaub

Rivers

Favre

McNabb is 4th in wins among active QBs. So I'm not sure how he isn't a top 10 QB.

For the record, Sheehan says that Cooley and Fletcher are the only players the Skins have that are top 10 at their positions.

Just look at Wins: (2009 Season - "What have you done for me lately?"

Peyton Manning 14-2

Brady 10-6

Brees 13-3

McNabb 11-5

Rodgers 11-5

Roethlisberger 9-7

Romo sits to pee 11-5

Schaub 9-7

Rivers 13-3

Favre 12-2

As a team leader you look at how everything transfers to the W column. You have to put DM5 above Schuab, Roethlisbergermeister, and Brady in 2009, and together with Rogers and Romo sits to pee. So, that puts him in the top 10 for 2009 easily.

Since we haven't played 2010 yet, all you are talking about is Fantasy and Speculation. I will fantasize and speculate that he's #1 in 2010!!!

HAIL!!!:dallasuck:eaglesuck

Sheehan may be the biggest goof on all of DC Sports talk radio, I despise the guy.

But for debates sakes...it depends on if you would take 10 people RIGHT NOW over McNabb.

I would take these guys for sure over McNabb: (No order) w/no questions asked

(5)

P.Manning

T.Brady

P.Rivers

D.Brees

A.Rodgers

Guys that I would struggle to decide but could see taking over McNabb:

(6)

T.Romo sits to pee (as much as I despise the cowgirls i probably would take him if I had a gun to my head vs. McNabb)

M.Schaub (this guy is on the rise and im 75% sure I would take him over McNabb)

C.Palmer (sortof peaked and now I dont know if will regain his pre-injury form)

E.Manning (very inconsistent...but so is McNabb....did win it all...im still torn here)

M.Ryan (he is a solid but not ProBowl caliber qb RIGHT NOW...I would lean toward

McNabb...slightly).

B.Roethlisberger (makes plays & is a winner, taking him right now considering he is going to miss a chunk of games and probably be rusty???....i normally would say yes - Big Ben, but I will go with McNabb considering the situation.)

If we are saying "RIGHT NOW" I would say McNabb is a top 10 QB.

Can you people please take more than the previous year into account before you come up with a top ten list. Seriously, using that logic, Chris Johnson would be a top 5 running back in the history of the NFL. Think before you speak.
Since the OP doesn't mention in the history of the NFL, I'm assuming the question is : who is in the top ten now. Thus, 2009 is the most relevant evidence.

Yes, Chris Johnson is in the top ten now.

I think you should read more carefully before criticizing others.

Can you people please take more than the previous year into account before you come up with a top ten list. Seriously, using that logic, Chris Johnson would be a top 5 running back in the history of the NFL. Think before you speak.

He's certainly one of the best currently playing in the NFL. Who knows where he will rank in history. He's only been in the league a few years.

As Donovan McNabb said to somebody, over and over and over, (I think it was Kelli Johnson) when she was asking him what statistic he looks at, he said, "wins." When asked about TD/INT, he said wins, when asked about passer rating, he said wins, when asked about anything, he said wins.

I agree that it takes more than a good QB to win games. And the Eagles are a pretty good team. But they won 11 games last year.

Donovan also is a QB that people have to game plan around. I think that the top 4 is pretty much agreed on, in some order: Brady, P. Manning, Rivers, Brees.

The next 6, you can make a case for a number of guys. Personally, I rank a healthy McNabb above a number of the other QBs because he can run and pass, extend plays, and often comes up with the big play when needed. That's not a stat, it's just something you know when you see it.

So, I put him top 10 without any question. He's healthy, motivated, and multi-dimensional.

Archived