Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Still wanting to trade Cooley huh? Shame on you!

NoCalMike

So this entire offseason there had been a growing notion that some were soooo sure Fred Davis was the next big thing that you were ready to trade away Cooley for some picks.

Now, while I agree that Fred Davis is going to be a very productive TE for us, especially in this system. Chris Cooley showed us last night why he is still definately the #1 TE on this team. Dude was open from the get-go. Caught everything that came his way, and was pretty much uncoverable. He also showed good hands on that rocket from McNabb, extending the arms and making that catch, not to mention the hit he took afterwards.

McNabb has been here for five minutes and it looks like Cooley is already his favorite target. No surprise here.

Hopefully Fred Davis can grow into his role as well, cause having another TE on the field of that caliber would almost be unfair to opposing secondaries.

I think Cooley is primed for a huge season, and his name is going to go back on the list of elite TEs in the league now that he has a solid QB throwing the ball his way.

:point2sky:beavisnbutthead:

When I see a post about trading Cooley it makes me think that the person posting it does not know crap about football. Him and Davis both on the field at the same time is going to cause nightmares for defensive coordinators, he was the soul reason we were moving the chains last time the 2nd time we had the ball! CC will retire as a Skin, Davis could be trade bait a few years down but I see both of them hanging around for along time.

I don't believe the people that wanted to trade Cooley were "because he wasn't any good anymore, washed up" etc.... it was because they felt he would garner some picks so we could stock pile them and get good players in other skilled positions...and because Davis showed he is more then able to do the job...

but with all that said, clearly Cooley proved last night and if healthy will prove this season he is 1 of the best TE in the NFL

So this entire offseason there had been a growing notion that some were soooo sure Fred Davis was the next big thing that you were ready to trade away Cooley for some picks.

Now, while I agree that Fred Davis is going to be a very productive TE for us, especially in this system. Chris Cooley showed us last night why he is still definately the #1 TE on this team. Dude was open from the get-go. Caught everything that came his way, and was pretty much uncoverable. He also showed good hands on that rocket from McNabb, extending the arms and making that catch, not to mention the hit he took afterwards.

McNabb has been here for five minutes and it looks like Cooley is already his favorite target. No surprise here.

:point2sky:beavisnbutthead:

Excellent post! I agree 110% :cheers:

Fred Davis is basically a #3 wide receiver in a TE body. He's as fast as a slightly below average WR at worst' date=' and big as a big #1. He's going to be sick going deep after Cooley starts drawing safety help.[/quote']

Absolutely agree, Two different styles of play with those two, Davis has speed , strength and moves to make you miss and will run you over. Cooley runs very good routes, is a master of getting in that seam to get open, great football smarts (will come back to the QB if he gets in trouble). Both out there together are a deadly tandem, cant wait.

Guys, I am not saying Fred Davis doesn't have the tools to be great. However I am going with the evidence on the field that we have seen. Also it is about building a nucleus of players that we have seen produce for us.

Once Fred Davis shows us ON THE FIELD, the skills and ability that we all think he has, then that is one thing, but people seemed ready to trade Cooley away when Fred Davis has hardly shown he will be as productive as of yet. Like I said, maybe he will, he definitely has the physical tools to be an elite TE, but the jury is still out regarding what he will do on the field. Also, Cooley has shown he can get the job done without having another excellent TE on the field with him. He has mostly had Tod Yoder as his backup.

When Fred Davis finally lives up to his expectations, then come back and talk to me about who can be traded for what value. Until then, lets stick with the players who have shown it on the field.

Whether or not Fred Davis is the future or not is not really relevant to the discussion. We are not talking about the QB position, where you only have one on the field at a time. Cooley is a proven weapon who is not declining. Why would we give up a weapon like that? Having Davis and Cooley is the smartest and best thing for this team, especially with the Shanahans' offense.

I thought about it for a little bit; I'm not going to lie. Then the fit of total insanity wore off...

It just doesn't make sense unless somebody offers up a Hershel Walker type deal. Due to the fact that Vinny Cerrato has not found work with another team, that didn't happen. We are hooked up at a key position. I like both players and am glad that no trade happened.

When I see a post about trading Cooley it makes me think that the person posting it does not know crap about football. .

Well, if you think football is only about what goes on between the sidelines, then you don't know crap about football.

It's called getting value when it's at it's maximum. The Patriots do it to trmendous effect. the Eagles do it to tremendous effect. The Steelers do it to tremendous effect. And each of these teams has been at or near the top for the last ten years.

It's about recognizing when a player has max value, when you've got a comfortable enough option to explore the possibilities. (See Richard Seymour. First round pick for a guy who was 'heart and soul' of the defense. They keep winning because they knew they had his replacement coming right along, and by stockpiling picks like they do, they can develop more than one or two guys.. the redskins usually have about 5 draft picks per year to work with, so we're putting a lot of faith in these guys to be what we expect, and fact is not many draft picks actually live up to expectations. Maybe half of the top picks live up to somewhat of wehat was expected. )

People say that it's impossible to build a dynasty in the era of the cap and free agency. I say that those teams show that is utter BS, and they lay a map as to how to do it.

You get value, stockpile picks, and never, ever EVER be afraid to listen to anyone's offer for any player. NO player is untradeable except a very few guys league wide. You don't trade Brady, Manning, Ray Lewis, Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Ryan Klady.... maybe no one else in the league is untradeable.

It's a win-win situation. If no one gives us a first or second or whatever we decide is worth it, then we keep a pro bowl calliber TE. If someone does pop up a first (or more) for Cooley, we've still got an outstanding TE in Davis, and a shiny new first round pick to go with it.

~Bang

Well, if you think football is only about what goes on between the sidelines, then you don't know crap about football.

It's called getting value when it's at it's maximum. The Patriots do it to trmendous effect. the Eagles do it to tremendous effect. The Steelers do it to tremendous effect. And each of these teams has been at or near the top for the last ten years.

It's about recognizing when a player has max value, when you've got a comfortable enough option to explore the possibilities.

People say that it's impossible to build a dynasty in the era of the cap and free agency. I say that those teams show that is utter BS, and they lay a map as to how to do it.

You get value, stockpile picks, and never, ever EVER be afraid to listen to anyone's offer for any player.

~Bang

Bang, love your cartoons and am a big fan. However, I disagree with you. Trading players to get maximum value is fine. With that said, Shanny runs an offense that values two pass catching TE's. With that said, trading CC (regardless of what a team might be offering) is not really advantageous to what Shanny would want for this offense. Albeit, it always wise to listen to offers, in this scenario it would take an astronomical offer to make Shanny think twice about trading hime.

Bang, love your cartoons and am a big fan. However, I disagree with you. Trading players to get maximum value is fine. With that said, Shanny runs an offense that values two pass catching TE's. With that said, trading CC (regardless of what a team might be offering) is not really advantageous to what Shanny would want for this offense. Albeit, it always wise to listen to offers, in this scenario it would take an astronomical offer to make Shanny think twice about trading hime.

Glad you like the toons.

Fair enough, disagreement is fine and encouraged. It's no fun if everyone agrees.

See? Look here, i'm the dick everyone gets to yell at in this thread.

:)

now... regardless of the offer? If a 1st and 3rd were offered you wouldn't consider it? You'd have to.

See, this is why I say it's win win. As it is, we didn't entertain offers as we know it, so we end up with two great TEs this year.

If we had traded him, odds are the compensation would have been pretty decent, and we'd win there, too.

I don't think there's a single player on this team who is untradeable, except maybe Fletcher or Orakpo... ok McNabb too. At least this year.

And I must say it's much easier to say this in knowing that we have Shanallen listening to offers rather than Vinny. If it was Vinny I'd be terrified of doing anything for fear of being taken to the cleaners again.

~Bang

Fair enough, disagreement is fine :) Glad you like the toons.

now... regardless of the offer? If a 1st and 3rd were offered you wouldn't consider it? You'd have to.

See, this is why I say it's win win. As it is, we didn't entertain offers as we know it, so we end up with two great TEs this year.

If we had traded him, odds are the compensation would have been pretty decent, and we'd win there, too.

I don't think there's a single player on this team who is untradeable, except maybe Fletcher.

And I must say it's much easier to say this in knowing that we have Shanallen listening to offers rather than Vinny. If it was Vinny I'd be terrified of doing anything for fear of being taken to the cleaners again.

~Bang

Good point, Bang. If it were still Vinny, it'd be an epic fail. :doh: Though I believe (much like you) that quite a few Skins are tradeable, CC wouldn't be on that list. Particularly with the question marks at WR. But it would be interesting, to say the least, to know what (if) we have been offered for CC. Evidently, it wasn't enough. ;)

Three catches for 33 yards in a preseason game against the sorry Bills? This fame was unlikely to change anyone's mind.

I thought we should trade Cooley, if we could have gotten a second rounder for him. I also would have been okay with trading Davis. Tight end is one of the least useful places on the roster to have elite depth. Who is the backup tight end for the Chiefs, Chargers, or 49'ers? The answer is, for the most part, "who cares". The only on field evidence that would change my mind would be the sight of a ton of two tight end sets.

I also think we would have entertained offers for Cooley, but that noone was knocking down our door. For one reason or another, this past offseason was a buyer's market when it comes to vets. Boldin for a 2nd? Santonio Holmes for a 5th? Brandon Marshall for two 2nds? That is ridiculous value. I forgot the theft of Cromartie by the Jets. The only trade from last year that I recall favoring the team moving the veteran, was Seymour for a future 1st.

In any case, it is beyond obvious to say that whether it would have been worth it to trade for Cooley depends on what you could get back. If you could package him for a proven vet like Brandon Marshall, then that is a no brainer. If trading Cooley would have allowed us to take Jahvid Best, Kyle Wilson, or Terrence Cody, then I would have been all for the move. If we wound up with a Tatum Bell type player, then you've made a mistake.

In any case, I'd view depth at OL, DL, CB, WR, RB and LB as more important than depth at TE. You can only run so many two TE formations.

Three catches for 33 yards in a preseason game against the sorry Bills? This fame was unlikely to change anyone's mind.

I thought we should trade Cooley, if we could have gotten a second rounder for him. I also would have been okay with trading Davis. Tight end is one of the least useful places on the roster to have elite depth. Who is the backup tight end for the Chiefs, Chargers, or 49'ers? The answer is, for the most part, "who cares". The only on field evidence that would change my mind would be the sight of a ton of two tight end sets.

I also think we would have entertained offers for Cooley, but that noone was knocking down our door. For one reason or another, this past offseason was a buyer's market when it comes to vets. Boldin for a 2nd? Santonio Holmes for a 5th? Brandon Marshall for two 2nds? That is ridiculous value. I forgot the theft of Cromartie by the Jets. The only trade from last year that I recall favoring the team moving the veteran, was Seymour for a future 1st.

In any case, it is beyond obvious to say that whether it would have been worth it to trade for Cooley depends on what you could get back. If you could package him for a proven vet like Brandon Marshall, then that is a no brainer. If trading Cooley would have allowed us to take Jahvid Best, Kyle Wilson, or Terrence Cody, then I would have been all for the move. If we wound up with a Tatum Bell type player, then you've made a mistake.

In any case, I'd view depth at OL, DL, CB, WR, RB and LB as more important than depth at TE. You can only run so many two TE formations.

You're basing his "fame" off the Bills game? :doh: CC has been a constant since Gibbs drafted him. To say his performance against the Bills wouldn't change fans mind is a bit of an a**backwards statement. CC has been a reliable and consistent contributor to this offense. Trading CC might have been an option (given a reasonable offer was made), but I believe it's premature to move a guy when you're still not sure what you have at the position. Davis is going to fine, but what should happen if Davis goes down with an injury (heaven forbid)? Much like CC last season. Think Shanny is smarter than the average bear. :D

It's about recognizing when a player has max value, when you've got a comfortable enough option to explore the possibilities. (See Richard Seymour. First round pick for a guy who was 'heart and soul' of the defense. They keep winning because they knew they had his replacement coming right along, and by stockpiling picks like they do, they can develop more than one or two guys.. the redskins usually have about 5 draft picks per year to work with, so we're putting a lot of faith in these guys to be what we expect, and fact is not many draft picks actually live up to expectations. Maybe half of the top picks live up to somewhat of wehat was expected. )

You get value, stockpile picks, and never, ever EVER be afraid to listen to anyone's offer for any player. NO player is untradeable except a very few guys league wide. You don't trade Brady, Manning, Ray Lewis, Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Ryan Klady.... maybe no one else in the league is untradeable.

It's a win-win situation. If no one gives us a first or second or whatever we decide is worth it, then we keep a pro bowl calliber TE. If someone does pop up a first (or more) for Cooley, we've still got an outstanding TE in Davis, and a shiny new first round pick to go with it.

~Bang

Agree 100% with this.

Never get too attached to a player because it is a business. I would hate to trade a fan favorite like Cooley but for the right price I'm going to listen to offers.

I would love to trade players nearing the ends of their careers when they still have trade value. It's a tough decision but the best franchises do this. Keeping a player until they retire might please some fans but you're not doing the team justice in the long term if you wish to be competitive each and every year.

Cooley is an unorthodox kind of TE. TEs like Vernon Davis use their speed and power, which is no match for small DBs or slow LBs. Gates has sensational hands, and Witten runs routes like a WR.

But Cooley somehow finds the ball consistently, and finds ways to break tackles. He doesn't just juke out DBs like a WR, or mash through tackles like a RB, he just somehow churns out yards that he shouldn't collect.

Davis is more prototypical in the NFL sense: he combines raw athleticism with effective hands and positioning. Cooley is just something special. And with minds as creative as the Shanahans', you can only imagine the kind of havoc these two are going to wreack.

Archived