Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Still wanting to trade Cooley huh? Shame on you!

NoCalMike

Agree, and the fact that we have a proven probowl TE on the team is far better then hoping a draft pick will work out.

Well, the point is that if you follow the way the dynasties of the last ten years have done it, they trade those players when they're reasonably sure the next guy is already in place, like we have in Fred Davis.

You don't just go trading him before that,, it defeats the purpose. Doing that signifies rebuilding, not maintaining a continuity of excellence.

(And while we don't have any excellence to continue, we do have the luxury of two great players at one position with which to begin that standard.)

If Davis puts up the expected great numbers along with Cooley this year, then it definitely should be considered.

~Bang

LOTS of players have the tools to be great like fred davis. very few manage to capitalize and produce at cooley's level. discarding cooley on the assumption that davis can take his place is like trading away moss because taylor jacobs has the tools to replace him. (granted davis did have a decent one-third of a season).

You guys are really overrating Cooley. Building a franchise around the TE or better yet a receiver? Cooley is a great TE, but he can be replaced. The team was so horrible last year that trading Cooley to get a draft pick to help build the line would have ben a great move. The only real reason people like him is because he is good yes, but he just so happen to be the cool off-field guy. Now we have him and Davis which is probably going to be the Boldin/Fitzgerald or Wayne/Harrison of TEs.

at one point he had more touchdowns over a three season span than any other tight end in the league. he's not a typical TE at all. he's a top-5 in the league.

trading away a solidly-producing veteran and counting on a younger player to eventually grow into the same role works great in Madden. in real life, the vast majority of players fail to live up to their hype or potential. trading one that has exceeded it is dumb.

at one point he had more touchdowns over a three season span than any other tight end in the league. he's not a typical TE at all. he's a top-5 in the league.

trading away a solidly-producing veteran and counting on a younger player to eventually grow into the same role works great in Madden. in real life, the vast majority of players fail to live up to their hype or potential. trading one that has exceeded it is dumb.

Many teams follow that philosophy and it seems to work out fine for them.

The Patriots, Eagles, Steelers etc.

Couldn't agree with you more, NoCalMike. Every time I heard some sort of trade Cooley comment I cringed. Cooley is one of the faces of our franchise and one of the most solid, if not the most solid, performer we've had over the course of the last 5 years.

Fred Davis did an admirable job in his stead, that's for sure, but getting rid of Cooley? I don't ****ing think so.

Well, the point is that if you follow the way the dynasties of the last ten years have done it, they trade those players when they're reasonably sure the next guy is already in place, like we have in Fred Davis.

You don't just go trading him before that,, it defeats the purpose. Doing that signifies rebuilding, not maintaining a continuity of excellence.

(And while we don't have any excellence to continue, we do have the luxury of two great players at one position with which to begin that standard.)

If Davis puts up the expected great numbers along with Cooley this year, then it definitely should be considered.

~Bang

Or sometimes the dynasties (aka patriots) keep Tom Brady and trade Matt Cassell. And then there are those times when they trade away a Richard Seymour, and their defense stinks the next year. There is no set-in-stone paint-by-the-numbers way to build a team.

My point is that when you have a core group of building block players (cooley is certainly one), you don't dump any of them for a second round pick which is what many people wanted to do here. Check the history...2nd round picks pan out about 50% of the time. Just ask the Eagles who spent a decades worth of second round picks trying to land a starting WR.

I have always loved Cooley. The guy's got heart, he's got a great personality and he's a beast on the field. That being said I was very skeptical about the idea of having both him and Fred on the same team. But after seeing how well they both did against the bills I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this year. I can't wait to see our Tiger formation, I think Kyle and Mike will find ways to make them tear defenses apart. I can't wait.

i will trade cooley in a heart beat...... for AP... or CJ... or the jets defense,,,

Too bad he's not worth the price you would have to pay for Peterson, and no way in hell the titans would trade Johnson.:logo::logo:

Tradeing Cooley would be a retarded idea anyways, he's the second best receiver that we have.

( I would him for draft picks on madden though, right after trading Mcnabb for the number one pick, )

Cooley is the kind of hardcore building block player that you build a franchise around.

Unless you've got a HOF caliber TE, you don't build a franchise around a TE. And even then. It doesn't happen. Even the Chiefs traded Gonzales, who was still elite (though old), to help rebuild.

*note: I don't agree with trading Cooley. Just saying.

He's what you're hoping for when you get a second round pick.

You mean third round pick.

It goes far beyond being a Pro Bowl level player on the field. He's a guy who has a goal of never missing a practice! He's a throwback type of player that is very rare.

I agree with this. Its part of why we all love the guy.

Trading him would be like the Pats trading Welker...too important to what the franchise does to think about getting rid of for "max value". He's not near the end of his career, so trading him would be crazy.

Really? How many SB's have the Pats won with Welker?

Wait.....none? He's important to their present offense, but not important to the franchise in that way. He's not untradeable, not really. And comparing a guy who was top 5 in the NFL in yardage for WR's, and tops the year before as well, to a TE who makes a much smaller impact, doesn't make your case anyways.

Chris Cooley'[s contributions to this franchise on the field since 2004 has been spectacular. I've been saying all along that he's too valuable to trade. Yes, we also have Fred Davis, and Davis proved his worth in Cooley's place last season, but Cooley is the best TE in pro football.

I heard Theisman say they may play Cooley, Davis and the third tight end in one formation together. Lee Vickers, is the third tight end and he is 6-6 272 pounds. The idea is to force defenses to adjust to an unusual formation they have not seen before. I would not consider trading Cooley. McNabb will be going to him a lot this year. Last year Cooley had a down year and he was injured. But there was still no need to panick last year even when the season had gone into the toilet. Some fans were over the top when it came to their 2009 Cooley comments suggesting an urgent need to trade him- in my humble opinion, of course.

Chris Cooley'[s contributions to this franchise on the field since 2004 has been spectacular. I've been saying all along that he's too valuable to trade. Yes, we also have Fred Davis, and Davis proved his worth in Cooley's place last season, but Cooley is the best TE in pro football.

I love the love for Cooley but he isn't the best TE in football Tony Gonzalez Antonio Gates and Jason Witten are all better than him I have him #4 and Dallas Clark #5 but he's a great TE for us no doubt about it

He's great for us, but best in the league? That's a stretch.

Archived