Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Haven't had too much time to post due to being in season but that's done and it's been an eventful week. 

Hats off to Liverpool for the season they've put together. Van Dijk is dominating on a Vidic/Terry scale at center back and would be my POY candidate at this point. Not sure I'd put the Wolves game in the "professional" category because they had some clear cut chances uncharacteristically for Liverpool but they've earned some good fortune. The best way I can sum up City's stature as a club despite their recent success is myself and to my knowledge a good number of United fans are now rooting for them to win the league. In contrast, look what winning the league by beating United meant to them. Shame it's like choosing a root canal over a colonoscopy. 

As for United, it was a perfect storm today and quite obviously too early to come to any long term conclusions. I expected them to win today on account of having an emotional day but I didn't expect them to be in complete control most of the game, and even less so to be relatively solid and composed at the back. Goes to show tangible the intangible things can be when it comes to player performance at this level. Even Matic who was Mou's bff looked like a completely different player. The one conclusion I'm tempted to draw from this game is if that midfield trio starts to click and play at their best individually they can run with anyone. 

So, if you’ll indulge me on the length ....

I was out for a Chrimbo bevvy yesterday. 7 of us. 5 reds. 2 blues. Been bezzies and knocked around together since school. Anyway, the drinks are flowing and we’re chatting wham when one of the blues, mooching round twitter, said one of the most Evertonian things ever ..... he’s looking at a photie of Solksjaer celebrating with the players after beating Cardiff and he says ‘Yanno, he’s just like Klopp. All passion, hugs, feel good factor and nottin to show for it.’

Now rather than skit the living P out of him (he had enough of that last night), it does bring up this mad scenario where not only opposition fans but many, admitedly not match going, L’pool fans still undervalue both the the current, record setting side and just what an outstanding manager/ coach the mad German btard is.

I like to think of myself as a rational, honest poster. Yeah, I have mad passion for this club and can cheerlead with the best of them. That’s part of your DNA being from this great City. But I also don’t say things lightly for the sake of it and stand by what I honestly believe. Both good and bad. If L’pool are garbage, or the club needs justifiably criticising, I won’t hold back from that. I’ve been going the match for nearly 4 decades now. First game was in 1980. First got the season ticket I still hold in 1987. I’ve been exceptionaly fortunate to see 6 league titles picked up in the flesh and see L’pool in 5 European Cup finals live. Along with 2 UEFA and Super Cups, 20 some vists to Wembley and Cardiff seeing the Reds pick up countless Cups. Lost count of the number of grounds across Britain and the Continent I’ve seen L’pool play. The greatest of times along with the darkest my teenage years when there but for the grace of God I nearly lost my life on a day none of us there will ever truly get over. 

I guess I’m basically saying, through all that time and experience, like most Scousers, I know football and I’m usually pretty fair in my assessment of it.

So trust me that I don’t say this lightly ..... This current L’pool side is arguably the most complete L’pool team I’ve ever had the privilage of watching.

And yes, I’m fully aware of the need for them to add silverware to completely quantify that assessment. But the facts alone speak for themselves. We beat Newcastle  Boxing day, that’s not only a half season unbeaten. That’s 16 wins and 3 draws unbeaten. We’ve NEVER seen anything like this. For conparison, City’s record breakers last year, well arguably the finest side this Country’s ever seen, had a mere 1 more win at half-way. My favourite all time L’pool side, Kenny’s great ‘87/‘88 vintage, who at that time had a record equalling 29 game unbeaten run from the start of the season, had three points LESS at half-way.

What we’re witnessing is something we never have before. What these lads are doing is absolutely ridiculous. And has them down, from all facets, as one of our greatest ever sides to me which will become arguably the best in our storried history if they bring it home come May.

i just don’t see a weakness. Either in our play or personnel.

The manager, every bit as tactically brilliant as Rafa, who is rightly a L’pool legend, wver was;  has this team that savvy that they can match and work out anything thats thrown at them. Invarably winning the game. 

And the squad strength is just ridiculous ......

Anchored ar the back by one if the top 2/3 goalies in the World. A defence that’s the best by far in the PL. With the best CH the World over managing it without breaking sweat. No club out there is as solid/ dynamic with the depth to change as L’pool currently are defensively. By far and away the best defensive unit I’ve ever seen at Anfield. We go 1 up at Wolves and we could all have gone home as you just know we aren’t conceding. 

The midfield as a collective is as good as anything out there. 6/ 7 real good players that are interchangable as to the situation without a dropoff. And yes, to all you barmpots with a Henderson/ Lallana agenda, that incldes them too. We don’t have a top midfield 3 as many would like. We have what you need today. 6/7 top lads all on a similar level that will do the exact job the manager reqires of them to make the TEAM work amd be so devastating. Hell, when Nabby Keita has been your worst midfielder on the season to date, you know just what a top group you have.

All topped off with the best front three in Europe and the little Egyptian wizard playing as well currently as any L’pool forward the last 30 years IMHO. The level his overall game has leaped up to this year from last is frightening. And people actualy wanted him dropped early .....

In my opinion, these Red record breakers are the moat solid, comtrolling, conplete team of ours I’ve ever seen. Lead by one of the most tactically astute, brilliant managers we’ve ever had leading us. And man have we had some all time top World teams/ managers. 

The record setting pace they’re on and the absolutely ridiculous results they’re putting out just reinforce that belief.

And if they hit pay dirt come May, I personally think they’ll be up there as good as anything we’ve ever had. If not clear in their own right.

Totally asinine to look enviously at City when we have a L’pool side for the ages of our own who are collectively every bit City’s equal.

What a time to be alive.

What a time to be a Red!

Is it 3 PM Boxing Day already? 

Merry Christmas one and all.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

What a time to be alive.

What a time to be a Red!

Is it 3 PM Boxing Day already? 

Merry Christmas one and all.

Hail.

Thanks mate! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I am finding it fun to go into the holiday fixtures looking forward to who gets to be the next victim, and not looking to the Jan transfer window to see we could possibly bring in. Staggering how good this team has been so far. Now, City has the first hiccup, so up to us to continue to supply the pressure. I have full confidence they will.

What is even more exciting is that as good as they are now, I believe that Klopp feels he can continue to strengthen the team. Silverware this year would be nice validation (and help quiet my bothersome Manc mate, but not critical, as I see also how amazingly good this squad is, and expect them and Klopp to be driven to be even better. It’s the drive that makes champions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2018 at 10:56 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Frigging belter young lad him yanno. 

Just makes you prouder he is literelly one of your own.

https://mobile.twitter.com/anhourforothers/status/1076915835158126594

Hail.

Another top fella its an absolute privillage to have in our City .....

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/1077622656717987840

From the manager on down, real quality people representing our football club today.

Hail.

If he has the duration, and at 27 there’s every reason to believe he will, this lad will go down not only as an all time Liverpool great, but one of the Worlds all time best CH’s:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/incredible-stats-prove-liverpool-defender-15587068.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Danny Agger and Hyppia are the best defenders/ CH we’ve had the PL era IMHO. On his first 12 months alone he’s been even better than those two. He’s like a thoroughbred race horse who just never has to break sweat, always in complete control, who can exlode and out pace anyone when he has to. Along with making every single player around him better and elevating their games.

Classy, classy footballer. 

Hail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Superb news and a massive step forward:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brx5wgIn8gG/

Thats been the one gutting thing this wonderful season. Having Oxo-Chambo miss out just when he’d become so integral and was playing to such a level. 

Made up the rehabs moved on another stage mate. No rush. Just be fully back pre-season to give the boost of it being like a new multi-million pound signing. 

Hail.

• Like 2

They’re all at it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/1077844920562520064

So many foundations/ charitys. Lads like Andy Robbo giving his time to foidbanks and publicising their great work. Trent having a blast serving meals yesterday for the familys and kids he personally bought presents for. Henderson and Lallana the same. Ex-reds like Dirk, Carragher, Fowler and Gerrard putting so much back into the community with their foundations ..... Proper special group of lads these with the togetherness between those on the pitch and those off it as strong as I’ve ever known it.

And it all starts with the manager and the human values he’s instilled right through the football club before anything else.

Hail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nearly 31 years ago today (December 28, 1987 to be precise), the finest L’pool side I’ve ever seen licked Newcastle 4-0 at Anfield on their way to our 17th title. 

Today, by far and away the best L’pool side since then, and one of the most complete/ controlling sides we’ve ever had the privillage of watching, did the same. 

City really don’t like the pressure of chashing a team every bit their equal do they? 

Imperious defensively with a 12th clean sheet out of 19 and only 7 conceded. 

Imperious offensively with City’s GD wiped out as Mo continues on his epic form. 

And a three, thats THREE, game lead over the only side thats concerned me all season and still does. The current Champions.

Absolutely mad to think that if we, at the least, match City Say’day and then go there and win a week tomorrow the league could be all but over.

7 Straight wins in December and counting. 7 points clear of arguably the best team the PL has ever seen.

What a time to be alive. What a time to be a Red!

’LIBPOOL, TOP THE LEAGUE. LIBPOOL, LIBPOOL TOP THE LEAGUE!’

Hail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

muh espacios

Pep is a fighter he’ll keep doing what he can on a shoestring budget. Read somewhere they have more 50 million or more players in their squad at the moment than Liverpool and United have had in their respective club histories. For all his plaudits he struggles mightily with parity, which would explain his need to erase with money. 

Happy Holidays, men!

Brilliant boxing day.  I only left the couch to read a little to the kids and to tighten some drum heads on the drum set.

Was driving to work this morning listening to the Football Show on sirius XM and quickly got my fill of Stilatano and his dumbassity...

Neil Barnett was talking about the racist chants from Inter fans at Coulibally, and Stilatano somehow got back to Salah diving for the second goal.... GTAFOH you dumb ass...

Disgrace all around for that.  And then to send him off was just absolutely ridiculous.  I'd take him in a second at our club.  Not sure where he'd get in but I'd take him.

Any truth to the Timo Werner rumblings, @Gibbs Hog Heaven?

• Thanks 1

@DC9 The disappearing lil brat. *Punches tour arm again. Just because .....

Save for maybe a Keita-esq Pulisic deal, I wouldn’t expect any signings January outside of a promising kid to stash and develop. 

Of course situations can change with injury and the like, but not heard anything to suggest we’re thinking of making any moves.

Brilliant, and pertinent, piece from Si Hughes ‘The Independent’ today on absolute bellend football ‘fans’ who don’t think before they open their simple grids:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-everton-news-result-fans-sign-on-chant-latest-standings-watch-video-goals-a8700481.html

Hail.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

@DC9 The disappearing lil brat. *Punches tour arm again. Just because .....

Save for maybe a Keita-esq Pulisic deal, I wouldn’t expect any signings January outside of a promising kid to stash and develop. 

Of course situations can change with injury and the like, but not heard anything to suggest we’re thinking of making any moves.

Brilliant, and pertinent, piece from Si Hughes ‘The Independent’ today on absolute bellend football ‘fans’ who don’t think before they open their simple grids:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-everton-news-result-fans-sign-on-chant-latest-standings-watch-video-goals-a8700481.html

Hail.

Unfortunately there will be more disappearing, but I'm here when I can be and I'm usually lurking. :)

And before I clicked on that I thought it was something about the Yuri Mina song that is getting flack.  Not sure who doesn't want to be told they have a huge **** but to each their own.

Thought you'd get the Feed the Mancs dry joke I made a few pages back lol.

I heard Newcastle singing it this past weekend.  Kind of surprised - but then again they're just mad.  Started off signing for Mike Ashley to get out of their club but apparently couldn't stick to that for whatever reason.  If any club can relate... But I digress.

Kind of buzzing for the next two.  I think it'll tell us a lot about the rest of the season, obviously.

If we take 6 points I think we walk.

If we take 1 or 2 or 3 the plot will certainly thicken, as I think it will regardless.

Would feel so much better if we had Joey Gomez playing next to big Virg, but Dejan has beet sufficient in there save for the first game where he put a couple of feet wrong but wasn't punished.

Love that Klopp is holding Milly back for City.  He'll be needed.  I want another one of these:

😅

And at the Emirates, Arsenal got EVERY ****ing bounce and EVERY ****ing call and still only won 1-1