Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

How is this even open to debate?

It's immaterial where Nani is looking. In today's climate, you run the risk when your off the ground with your feet that high and your studs showing. Letter of the law there's no question the official made the right decision. And they have to officiate to the law as the governing bodies have taken all semblance of discretion out of the referees hands. You guys won't of heard Roy Keane, who knew a thing or two about real nasty, ugly challenges whilst playing for United, on yesterdays broadcast over in England. He said the same. No debate. Serious dangerous play when you leave the ground like that. And as for not knowing where Arbeloa was ..... your on a football field. If you don't know where everything is at the least in a 20 yard radious at all times, you have no right being there. Keane's words.

Seriously, where is the controversy here? Nani took Arbeloa out (who went off more or less straight away); by virtue of his studs landing above Arbeloa's waist, whilst off the ground with both feet. And that no longer washes in soccer.

This isn't the 1970's any more.

*The less said about Utd complaining about a decision with all that's run in their favor the last two decades the better. Oh the irony .....

Hail.

I'm sure if Luis the red card you'd be singing the same tune right? Yes it was dangerous but Nani was clearly going for the ball and Arbeloa ran into his foot. You give the yellow and stern warning then move on. You don't define a entire series on a controversial call like that. Even Real Marid fans didn't like it. Even the announcers couldn't believe it. It's not like Arbeloa had the ball in the on his foot and then Nani came up and blasted him. Nani is going for the ball. Simple as that. I had similar fouls before. I got a yellow and warned. I don't want to hear your if you don't know what's 20 yards in around you shouldn't be on the field crap. Arbeloa went for the ball knowing Nani's position at the time. He was the one who sprinted in. Yes it should be a yellow but both are guilty of being stupid here.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

http://img.skysports.com/10/07/496x259/De-Jong-Alonso-Foul-Holland-Spain-World-Cup-F_2476492.jpg

Similar kick by De Jong on Alonso in WC final. Just a foul. No card, nothing.....

And De Jong should of gone but Webb bottled it as it was the World Cup Final with FIFA wanting the full compliment on the field. (Zidane and Argentina acting like animals the odd exceptions.).

I'm sure if Luis the red card you'd be singing the same tune right? Yes it was dangerous but Nani was clearly going for the ball and Arbeloa ran into his foot. You give the yellow and stern warning then move on. You don't define a entire series on a controversial call like that. Even Real Marid fans didn't like it. Even the announcers couldn't believe it. It's not like Arbeloa had the ball in the on his foot and then Nani came up and blasted him. Nani is going for the ball. Simple as that. I had similar fouls before. I got a yellow and warned. I don't want to hear your if you don't know what's 20 yards in around you shouldn't be on the field crap. Arbeloa went for the ball knowing Nani's position at the time. He was the one who sprinted in. Yes it should be a yellow but both are guilty of being stupid here.

Ahem. If you'd care to look back over these here pages, I can think of two off hand, one involving a Liverpool player, that I went against the norm and defended the official. Kompany's sending off for City last year, and Jay Spearing at Fulham for Liverpool. Both players won the ball. Both players left the ground, two footed, with studs showing. You can't do that in today's game. The whole climate has changed and if you do, you run the risk. This has nothing to do with any perceived anti-Utd B/S. Those are the rules, as pathetic as the law makers are making the game.

And whilst you bring up Liverpool players sending offs and the defense or not, may I remind you of the game at Anfield this year when Shelvey got sent off for going over the ball with one leg off the ground, whilst Johnny Evans stayed on the pitch in the same incident when he launched himself two footed at Shelvey.

What goes around, comes around .....

Hail.

*Edit* And ren, those shirts look like leisure wear/ T-shirts more than soccer jerseys to me, shrugs.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

And De Jong should of gone but Webb bottled it as it was the World Cup Final with FIFA wanting the full compliment on the field. (Zidane and Argentina acting like animals the odd exceptions.).

I used to be a referee with a bit of a desire to climb the ranks and got to work the lines for semipro match with an MLS ref in the center once. The ref education over hear specifically talks about the fundamental difference between officiating professional and amateur matches. Professional matches are officiated as entertainment (nearly direct quote from a former USSF national referee running the certification course) and amateur is about safety first. So the "advice to referees" is to make sure not to be too quick with sending offs (see Webb/De Jong incident in WC by the letter of the law, he should've been gone but I'm sure Webb had other directives). Further, these are professional players and they have tremendous body control and for all intents and purposes know what they are doing out there. So yeah, I agree with you that a pro can and should be punished if he leaves his feet and leads with a leg (reckless, dangerous) but also they have leeway to not enforce to the letter of the law if it affects the perceived "sanctity" of the match.

I'm a guy that always wants my team to get the questionable calls, so I can understand the frustration. Nani put himself in that position, not the referee. The call didn't go United's way and they did not deal with it very well. The question I have for the United fans: What do you think of Rooney starting the game on the bench? Is the Rooney era over in Manchester? Where will he be playing next year?

No EPL game today

No Macca and Darkey :(

Talking of the wing wizard, one of his relatives is one of the Wigan scorers in a game their winning 3-0 at Everton as I type.

A game I'm getting more pleasure from than a grown man probably should. :evilg:

Madrid. Bucharest. And now Wigan. It's been quite the perfect cup week. :cool:

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Man Utd were atrocious today after a bright start. Chelsea dominated for 80 minutes. It's not going to be a bad season for United - they're walking away with the Premiership, but twice in a week Ferguson has been out-thought by Mourinho and Benitez and twice his teams have been out-fought on the pitch. Mata nearly capped it for a winner right at the death for Chelsea, if not for de Gea's legs.

Marten runs wild during Swiss Super League match, bites player’s finger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GgO-pQBo68w#!

An unruly marten invaded the pitch during a Swiss Super League match between Thun and Zurich, expertly evading capture by any means necessary. After running across the pitch once, the animal returned seconds after the referee whistle play to continue. A small net was used to try and imprison it, but it broke free and again ran across the pitch before getting tackled by Zurich's Loris Benito. Desperate to break free, the furry pest bit Benito on the finger, but he held on and carried it off.

Click on the link for the full article

Getting better for Milan now, they could have been easily down 3 - 0.

And super Mario may be rubbing off on El Shaarawy, going for that ridiculous bicycle kick.

Niang almost ends it, just missing the post.

MESSI ties it 2 - 0 Barca.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

MessiGoal_original.gif?1363118013

MessiGoal2_original.gif?1363120080

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 05:03 PM ----------

Villa scores with a great pass from Xavi

DavidVillaGoal_original.gif?1363121955

Edited by SkinInsite

Sounders playing Tigres in Seattle who is down 1 on aggregate. Tigres brought the B team. What a slap in the face by a road team. I'm DCU all the way but I hope Seattle whips them like hell for that.

Nice comeback by Seattle. Tigres deserved to lose that game based on who they brought to play.

By the way, 2 of Seattle's goals were spectacular.