Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Liverpool showing some life 2 - 1 at the half. Another Istanbul brewing?

I hate that this game is not on my television

I'm guessing GHH is going ballistic right now! 3-1 Reds...one more goal to go!

Edited by jobaga

I hate that this game is not on my television

I'm guessing GHH is going ballistic right now! 3-1 Reds...one more goal to go!

He was indeed. Almost one of the great European nights in one of, if not the most recognisably iconic stadium/s on the Continent. But alas a step too far after we left ourselves too much to do with the joke display out there. If Basle don't beat Zenit, I'll be shocked. They are what they looked last week out in Russia. Distinctly average. And if Hulk goes the WC, then Brazil must be going through a REAL dip in striking talent.

Mixed night. Boss atmosphere. Real good, exciting game. Disappointing end result. (Although if Sturridge had been eligible I feel sure we'd be looking to Basle right now.). And trouble kept to a minimum thanks to a super tight security operation from the bizzies.

Here's to kicking on and securing at the least a place in next season's competition.

Legendary nights in Europe. It's what Liverpool Football Club is all about.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/919?cc=5901

The relative strength of European leagues is obviously variable, but it's even more cyclical than one might expect. Judging solely from UEFA's coefficient scores over the past half-century, Europe's best league has rotated with impressive regularity: Spain dominated the 1960s, the Football League the 1970s, the Bundesliga the 1980s and Serie A the 1990s. From 2000, the pattern appears to starting again -- La Liga had an eight-year spell as Europe's top league, before giving way to the Premier League. If the repeat is to continue, the Bundesliga's turn is next. It's already starting to make strides up the coefficient table -- Germany started the season with seven sides in European competition, and none have been eliminated. They're the only country, from 53 of UEFA's member nations, with a 100 percent record.

Interesting article about the success cycles by nation. Coincidentally, Arsenal's last run of success coincided with the French team's best period since that was Arsenal's main recruiting ground. But it's also not merely a chornological cycle, after the German "failures" in WCs 1994 and 1998 (QF finish only), Ze Germans revamped their youth program completely.

In contrast today, Germany has over 35,000 UEFA "A" coaches while the US had only about 1,200 "A"-license coaches in the mid 90s. Even if each state had a hundred (a very generous estimate), that's still only 5,000 top-level licensed coaches. And we're not even counting entry level coaches. They could easily have 100,000 qualified coaches for 81 million people.

Only ONE game matters this weekend.

The 2013 Capital One Cup Final.

Wales' Swansea City appearing in their first major cup final in their 100 year history. And Bradford City, from the English fourth tier, attempting to become the first team from that level to ever win one of the three major prizes in England. 101 years after their only previous major final and honor, the 1911 FA Cup.

This really is a final that gladdens the heart. No big names. No pretentiousness or egos. A final nobody could of predicted before the season, and one most everyone I know is looking forward to with relish at the sheer unexpected nature of two clubs this small reaching a Wembley final. A Swansea side that has put out two major clubs on the way to the final, winning at record holders Liverpool in the fourth round. And defeating Chelsea over two legs in the semi-final. Against a Bradford side, assembled for the paltry sum of $ 10,000, who have already dumped 3 Premier League clubs out, including the might of Arsenal.

A real David vs. Goliath clash. Will Swansea take the trophy out of England back to Wales? Or will the Bradford fairy tale continue? And a Bradford story that is so much more than football with a human element coming 28 years after the horrific fire back in 1985 that tragically cost 56 lives. And a great touch from Bradford to honor their dead by sporting the #56 on their shorts and tracksuit tops.

I really hope Bradford complete the unthinkable and put their name on the League Cup.

But regardless of whichever team wins, football is already the winner with the story of this or any recent season.

Hail.

He was indeed. Almost one of the great European nights in one of, if not the most recognisably iconic stadium/s on the Continent. But alas a step too far after we left ourselves too much to do with the joke display out there. If Basle don't beat Zenit, I'll be shocked. They are what they looked last week out in Russia. Distinctly average. And if Hulk goes the WC, then Brazil must be going through a REAL dip in striking talent.

Mixed night. Boss atmosphere. Real good, exciting game. Disappointing end result. (Although if Sturridge had been eligible I feel sure we'd be looking to Basle right now.). And trouble kept to a minimum thanks to a super tight security operation from the bizzies.

Here's to kicking on and securing at the least a place in next season's competition.

Legendary nights in Europe. It's what Liverpool Football Club is all about.

Hail.

The sad (and ironic) reality is that Liverpool were clearly the best English team on the night. Newcastle gets through by a horrible mistake by the full-back and the two London teams (Chelsea and Spurs) look completely ordinary until one great shot at the death of each game puts each through. Contrast that to Liverpool, even after the blunder in the back, completely dominates the match for the remaining time and come oh so close to going through.

Feel for you, GHH, your Reds certainly deserved better in the Europa league.

For those following the youth teams, the US U20 side qualified for the U20 WC this summer in Turkey by beating canada 4-2 today.

Villareal had 2 goals.

I asked this question in the World Cup Hex thread:

Is Villarreal the future of the USNMT? How good is he? How good can he be? What position will he play?

I asked this question in the World Cup Hex thread:

Is Villarreal the future of the USNMT? How good is he? How good can he be? What position will he play?

I think he'll be a starter on the big side by 2018. But Ive made the mistake of predicting youth players success too often to say Im sure of it. He looked good tonight. I know that much. I think he'll transfer to Europe soon.

Do they come with Clint Dempsey swag or is that sold separately?

If the swag came with the kit we wouldn't have such a difficult time qualifying for the World Cup! We would definitely score more goals...

---------- Post added March-1st-2013 at 01:56 PM ----------

I wish we'd pick a kit and stick with it for a few decades.

but, what would we sell to everyone?