Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

My money there is strongly on the Redskins.

I agree with you that Liverpool are showing signs of improvement under Rodgers and I think the signing of Sturridge as an example is a very good one. However I still think there is a significant gap between Liverpool and the top 3 in terms of quality and depth of squad. There is still quite a bit of deadwood in that Liverpool side with players bought before Rodgers got there and some his signings (Allen?) have not really delivered yet either. Gerrard is not getting any younger either and will need to be phased out over the next couple of years.

My feeling is that with a good offseason they can close the gap and be competing with the likes of Arsenal and Spurs for that 4th spot (which IS real progress) but they are still some way behind the top 3 as legitimate title contenders.

Without question la.

This was always going to be a 5 year plan once we fully bought into Rodgers. And this is just year one of arguably the biggest job and biggest overhaul of Liverpool FC since the great man walked through the doors back in '59.

To be perfectly honest, a Europa league spot this year would be an incredible bonus. Anything above and beyond that would surpass all but the most unrealistic of reds expectations. And then, like you alluded to, your looking to progress on that next year and start looking at pushing for the top 4. As regards a serious title challenge, we're still a good ways away from that.

I was just musing about the uncanny similarities in the fortunes of my two sporting loves.

All in stages.

Hail.

If I was Liverpool and I could get a decent fee for Reina I would take it in a heart beat and use part of it to get Jack Butland from Birmingham. In fact if I was Liverpool or any of the top third teams for that matter (including the Chelsea and Man Utd but not Man City who have Hart) I would get Butland whatever.

Butland is going to be a top class International goalkeeper - he has everything and I think in time will be better than Joe Hart who I rate very highly.

Meanwhile Reina has been so so this year even given he missed time with the injury. Cech and DeGea have been inconsistent as well - DeGea has time on his hands and I think could make it but Cech while not old for a keeper is not going to get any better and is not quite the player he was IMO since he had that head injury.

I hear Butland is fantastic (I have not him play) Isn't he 19 years old? Wouldn't Liverpool need to get another goalie while Butland developes?

I hear Butland is fantastic (I have not him play) Isn't he 19 years old? Wouldn't Liverpool need to get another goalie while Butland developes?

If your prepared to let slide the inevitable mistakes all young 'keepers make, I'd play him from the get go and let him develop along with all the other youth being integrated into the side. The kid looks real quality and already has top level International experience to boot. After suffering for so long with sub-standard 'keepers, England has two top quality ones in the 1 and 2 spots for the next decade and more.

As far as Pepe leaving, I'd be mixed. Love the dude to bits. But he's both dragged his feet over the contract for WAY too long now. And his form over the past 18 months or so has been REAL iffy to say the least.

Totally agree with you on Enrique BTW, although he still can't defend for ****. He needs to be pushed on down the left. Not so much on Downing and Henderson. Downing's looked better of late. Henderson's still a typical, modern day player. Boundless energy. Great athlete. Very little top level ability to go with it IMHO. But I guess we all see things differently/

---------- Post added January-25th-2013 at 09:31 AM ----------

I'm sorry I disagree. This is was blantly. It was planned and he couldn't have been more obvious in his time wasting and fake injury. Much different from taking alittle extra time getting the ball back to the player. If this was Manchester I wouldn't have a issue with the Hooligans chasing him down the street. I wouldn't blame Chelsea supporters for wanting a piece of this guy. The guy cost them a chance at a title. Dude deserved the kick though it looks like he didn't even hit him. He should have though.

I gota' ask Richmond ..... did you condone and excuse Cantona in the same way when he dragged your club through the gutter with what he did down at Palace?

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

He is playing regular first team football for Birmingham in the Championship and has already made his full England debut after starring in the U21 team. He is ready to play in the Premiership right now. He is going to get a lot better a lot quicker by playing at the highest level and while there may the odd mistake that comes with inexperience he has already shown he very mature for his age and very consistent as well. This kid is the real deal.

Birmingham have some financial issues and need to sell as well so someone is going to get a bargain. If I was Butland though I would hold out for one of the top clubs rather than agreeing to sign for one of the bottom third clubs - he can afford to wait for the right offer.

I like they way Rodgers is building this team. Allowing the boys in the system to show what they can do and supplementing the talent with reasonable priced (everything is relative) talented young players. Is the Coutinho signing official? I also heard that Barca wants Pepe back? Any truth to that rumor?

Internazionale is holding out for 15 mil but I think Coutinho could be had for 10 given the financial problems at San Siro.

I don't know what Barca wants to do but Pepe's already half way to Spain when the rumor came out. Personally I'd sell Pepe for 10mil in a heartbeat.

Speaking as a Leeds United fan I would say Tottenham were beaten rather than they lost :)

Speaking as a Liverpudlian I would say yesterday ranks right up there with Northampton as the biggest embarrassment/ disgrace/ joke (insert own multitude of adjectives at your leisure) in my life time.

The less I say on this the better.

Hail.

Speaking as a Liverpudlian I would say yesterday ranks right up there with Northampton as the biggest embarrassment/ disgrace/ joke (insert own multitude of adjectives at your leisure) in my life time.

The less I say on this the better.

Hail.

I watched that Liverpool game with my sons - the youngest of whom is a Red. He was not a happy camper and I dont think Brad Jones will be getting a Christmas card from him! Bet Jack Butland is looking like a really good idea this morning ....

We saw him during the telecast yesterday and couldn't believe he was real. So I googled Leeds tattoo fan and there you have him.

I did a bit of digging on one of the Leeds United forums - apparently this bloke works in a Bank in Manchester !! Would you ask this guy for a loan?

So I'm currently working on a US soccer blog. I decided to finally create lol. Its still under construction but I do have a post up about the US- Canada friendly. Since I'm working on getting the site up I didn't have as much time to get a lot together for the friendly. I will be putting out a review of the friendly and previews for the qualifers.

http://starsandstripessoccerblog.blogspot.com/

Note i'll be happy to wite about other things too (MLS season and such) if people let me know. Since there isn't always lots going on with the US team.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88