Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Fratton Park and Selhurst Park are examples of places I've seen rocking in the Premiership in the past 5/6 years. We're going off the point a bit though.

What you originally said was how nowhere compares to Anfield on a big European night. Elland Road definitely did in the big nights against Real Madrid, Valencia, Deportivo etc, although i've never experienced it first hand Dortmund looks insane on European nights as do a number of eastern european and even Celtic do it well when they're there.

From my experience Anfield looks great before kickoff as ye belt out YNWA and wave your scarves, but the atmosphere dies down fairly quick as the football is actually played. Still a bit better than 90% of supporters but you are definitely not worthy of the status of being a 'cut above everybody else'. Thats just simply not true in my opinion.

Completely agree with everything you say about seating and new breed of fans which kills atmospheres and don't get me wrong I respect the genuine Liverpool fans like yourself. Theres actually good friendly history between yourselves and Leeds which hasn't been forgotten.

With the greatest respect man, you honestly haven't a clue what you're talking about if you honestly believe that.

But reading between the lines I'm presuming your saying this from experience From run of the mill league games against Leeds at Anfield. As previously mentioned (and often in these here pages by me as I lay into our fans at various times), Anfield, like most any other ground in England today, can be like a morgue most Saturdays. Too many day trippers who have too many bags from the club store to stand and get behind the team even If they knew the words. Which many don't. No doubt you'll be quite justified in saying Leeds have well out sung us at Anfield in your experience dung a 'meh' Premier League game as we always do to Leeds at Elland Rd. Away fans dominate in this era everywhere.

But give us Utd or the Derby or a big European night, and there truly is NO place like it. The Madrid back to backs in the middle of the group would be a good one for you to watch and learn. And this isn't media perception of a 'big fan base.' This is well earned reputation from opposing fans and players alike. Even recently, top class players like Del Piero, Nedved, Ballack et all, who have regularly played in front of some of the most passionate fans going, openly said they'd never heard a noise like it. (That 2005 run just grew by the game and was like the '60's / '70's and '80's all over again climaxing in the semi against Chelsea that completely and utterly blew Abromovich away. For everything he can buy, the one thing he realised that night he'll NEVER be able to buy is fan support like that.). Another that sticks out is when we came back from 3 down against Utd (standing Kop) and both the Manchester Evening News and Schmeichel among others said they'd never heard or seen anything like it. High praise indeed coming from them.

And it's not just a clichéd YNWA before the kickoff. Our song book as opposed to other teams is like an encyclopaedia compared to a panflet. And on the big occasions the back catalogue is extensively delved into. I've lost count of opposition fans you'll see in the City on a European night who are playing in Manchester or close by and have flown in and the very FIRST thing they do is come to over to Liverpool and Anfield just to say they've been as they recognise it as arguably the list iconic club ground in the World. Hell, we'll be eating in Madrid this year on the Monday with some Spanish friends we made the acquaintance of when Leeds played Madrid the Champions League but these guys HAD to visit 'the Mecca of football' in their words. All garnered from growing up watching our triumphs and bening blown away by the crowd.

Most all the major Soanish and Italian tifosi have based their spectacular coriographed displays on the Kop from the standing days. There's a whole book in Italian from Napoli fans on the Liverpool experience and how they modelled what they do on us. The flair, the colour the wit and invention, there's NO place like Anfield and the Kop in full voice. Our banners for another, lovingly home made or expensively paid for for the professional touch, full of unique words and wit. Contrast that to the bland banners of 99% of English clubs covering Union Jacks with things like 'Yorkshire Whites on Tour' ....,

From the inventive singing and colour of the '50's/ '60's/ and '70's through the casual era which we started (whatever the Mancs and ****neys will tell you about the terrace 'style wars') due to bringing back gear you couldn't get in England from trips abroad when Europe was almost exclusively our playground; through today when most every unique L'pool song is taken in no time by opposing fans and turned into their own using the same tune; we've lead the way and been copied over and over. Go to most any European Country to the boys that matter and see which English club and which set of fans they STILL want to talk about.

To deny all the above is either excessively naive, biased, or frankly to not have a frigging clue about what you're talking about. The bond between club and fans here is uniquely special. Even in the modern era when we attract a lot of fans we rather wouldn't. And still recognised as some of the fairest fans around too who always applauded a good opposition display. Hell, your greatest ever manager sent a telegram to the Kop proclaiming us 'Sportsmen of the Century.'

As for the line on Palace and Portsmouth being rocking Premier League grounds, you're doing what you complained of and buying into media hype. Promoted clubs always are great as momentum carries over and they want to show the 'big boys.' But it soon falls away. Portsmouth was always run of the mill whenever we went down. And for all the hype over Palace fans last year, we sung them out of town the late 3-3.

It's always been a funny relationship with Leeds. For years it was REAL ugly and you could guarantee it would be a dead naughty day out in Leeds. (Which was always like stepping back into the past with all these big Yorkshire men in boots, donkey jackets and three star jumpers whilst we had the latest Addida wheels on our feet and sharpest shirts, jumpers et all from our latest 'shopping trip' in Europe but that's another story.). Then came that glorious Sunday in '92 when we beat Utd to hand yuse the League after your win in Sheffield the morning and it turned to a 'best of friends' scenario as it has been ever since. (Although I understand the last time in the League Cup in '04 at Elland Road all our young knobs where running riot and catching Leeds unawares on another real ugly night. <I was in the States at the time> Remains to be seen what Leeds attitude is the next time we play after that. Long memory and all.).

Seriously man you need to experience a big night at Anfield when we DO raise ourselves for the occasion.

As anyone that has experienced the same, you'd be left with a completely new perspective blown away by an experience Universly agreed by the majority who have you can't top ANYWHERE else.

Hail.

Nice win by Bayern over City yesterday.  City now faces a massive match next time vs Roma.  They need 3 points from that.

LOL all over the place at Chelsea drawing vs Shalke in London.  Watching Fox before the games started yesterday, all I heard was that (a) Chelsea were locks to be in the CL Final and (B) City beat Bayern the last time they went to Munich (and even one idiot who said that the Allianz Arena is an easy place for visiting teams to win).  Maybe those folks need to watch other leagues once in a while to see the EPL isn't the end-all and be-all of European soccer.

• Like 2

I LOVE that sig.

Add Fred and you have a daal.

Nice win by Bayern over City yesterday. City now faces a massive match next time vs Roma. They need 3 points from that.

LOL all over the place at Chelsea drawing vs Shalke in London. Watching Fox before the games started yesterday, all I heard was that (a) Chelsea were locks to be in the CL Final and (B) City beat Bayern the last time they went to Munich (and even one idiot who said that the Allianz Arena is an easy place for visiting teams to win). Maybe those folks need to watch other leagues once in a while to see the EPL isn't the end-all and be-all of European soccer.

Laughing long and loud here too.

Only English side to win. Too the group. (Ridiculous) panic over.

And yeah, the hype over the BPL is scandalous. Most exciting league in the World. (Although the Bundesliga has a good claim on that now too.). But that's down to nobody being able to defend for ****. But it's FAR from the best league. (Stop laughing in Spain and Germany.).

Congrats on the good start. See you in Berlin in early June for a shoot-out between super clubs to reach # 6. ;)

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

I LOVE that sig.

Add Fred and you have a daal.

Laughing long and loud here too.

Only English side to win. Too the group. (Ridiculous) panic over.

And yeah, the hype over the BPL is scandalous. Most exciting league in the World. (Although the Bundesliga has a good claim on that now too.). But that's down to nobody being able to defend for ****. But it's FAR from the best league. (Stop laughing in Spain and Germany.).

Congrats on the good start. See you in Berlin in early June for a shoot-out between super clubs to reach # 6. ;)

Hail.

I like to watch the EPL and enjoy the games, but having Chelsea beating the likes of Burnley, Leicester, and Everton hardly is any gauge to tell how good a team is.  I would expect Pool to crush those teams as well, as 2 are just up from the Championship and the third has fewer overall CL wins than Pool just this season.

By the way, it would be EPIC to see 2 of the Greatest All Time Teams is European Soccer play for the 6th star.

• Like 1

By the way, it would be EPIC to see 2 of the Greatest All Time Teams is European Soccer play for the 6th star.

Wouldn't it?

Something extra special when the great clubs contest the showpiece. We've had the top two already. (Beat Real in Paris in '81. Split with Milan in '05 and '07.). Playing Bayern in Berlin would be awesome. Booked Berlin already FWIW. Not particularly anticipating getting there, but book whilst it's cheap in case we do and even if we don't, what's booked is refundable (rooms) and Berlin id a boss City for a break so may just go the weekend regardless.

Only played Bayern twice I believe in our history. The epic 1981 semi that was 0-0 at Anfield which lead to German arrogance putting flyers on every seat in the Olympiastadion giving directions to Paris for the final; only for one of our greatest ever displays with a few reserves having to play and a late Ray Kennedy winner in a 1-0 win. Forever known as the Hiward Gayle game. Who? Exactly. ;) Then the Super Cup in Monaco in '05 which we won 3-2.

We have your number ha ha. ;)

I love Munich BTW. Top notch organisation. One of the truly great clubs of World football Some of the absolute crap written about them and the Bundesliga on these here pages is beyond laughable. (They buy the league and pick off from smaller clubs because they have the money. Just WHAT club in 2014 doesn't? *Rolls eyes.).

And I'm just aching to go to the Alienz. That stadium looks awesomely spectacular. We all REALLY wanted Bayern in the groups. But we got Madrid damn it

Hail.

But how did you get FIFA so earlier?

It doesn't come out until Tuesday lol

Did you buy Suarez back yet?

Balotelli is kinda ehh on that game lol

Not on the update now he's found his perfect home. :)

Cant wait for this afternoon, first Europa League game. Hopefully Im not too depressed by the end. :-\

Savour it. You've earned it. Happy for ya'.

Hope yers get battered ha ha.

*(Semi) Nice me. :)

Hail.

• Like 1

I haven't got the time to properly respond right now but the quoted part was amusing,

Name me ONE stadium that isn't like a morgue most weeks. Sears and the Greed is Good League have seen to that by attracting a completely different class of fan these days with far more disposable money than your average fan. And that's not exclusive to the Premier League. Seats have kille atmospheres Coinyry wide. Leeds included

But if you honestly think Anfield on its day, when we do raise ourselves for the occasion, isn't a cut above anywhere else then this will be quite the conversation.

Hail.

For me the two best atmosphere's are Anfield and Newcastle.  Not even close. 

I'd love to see a match at St. James'. When I see it on TV, it reminds me of the atmosphere at Century Link in Seattle.

Honestly, that's EXACTLY what I would want Danny to do to FedEx.  A little half-roof action that wouldn't mess with the overall structure.

st-james-park-newcastle.jpg

Another stadium in which I'd love to see a match.

Me too. I'm told by friends who are long in the tooth seasoned European travellers it's the best stadium bar none in Europe. And we've been to most any big one you care to mention.

I refused to go when we played Inter on the basis that if I'm going to the San Siro, it has to be to see Milan/ Liverpool play Milan/ a final.

Just not the same when it's Inter. Go figure? lol.

Hail.

Me too. I'm told by friends who are long in the tooth seasoned European travellers it's the best stadium bar none in Europe. And we've been to most any big one you care to mention.

I refused to go when we played Inter on the basis that if I'm going to the San Siro, it has to be to see Milan/ Liverpool play Milan/ a final.

Just not the same when it's Inter. Go figure? lol.

Hail.

Yeah I feel ya. That'd be like someone from the east coast flying out to LA to see a Clippers game at Staples Center. Not the same experience.

• Like 1