Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Heck of a good return to European action.

Great to see Martinez going full strength too.

Hail.

Yes, very happy to see.

Though the defense is making me a little nervous. Last 10 minutes Howard is making great save after great save. DeBruyne is having flashbacks to the World Cup.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

With the greatest respect man, you honestly haven't a clue what you're talking about if you honestly believe that.

But reading between the lines I'm presuming your saying this from experience From run of the mill league games against Leeds at Anfield. As previously mentioned (and often in these here pages by me as I lay into our fans at various times), Anfield, like most any other ground in England today, can be like a morgue most Saturdays. Too many day trippers who have too many bags from the club store to stand and get behind the team even If they knew the words. Which many don't. No doubt you'll be quite justified in saying Leeds have well out sung us at Anfield in your experience dung a 'meh' Premier League game as we always do to Leeds at Elland Rd. Away fans dominate in this era everywhere.

But give us Utd or the Derby or a big European night, and there truly is NO place like it. The Madrid back to backs in the middle of the group would be a good one for you to watch and learn. And this isn't media perception of a 'big fan base.' This is well earned reputation from opposing fans and players alike. Even recently, top class players like Del Piero, Nedved, Ballack et all, who have regularly played in front of some of the most passionate fans going, openly said they'd never heard a noise like it. (That 2005 run just grew by the game and was like the '60's / '70's and '80's all over again climaxing in the semi against Chelsea that completely and utterly blew Abromovich away. For everything he can buy, the one thing he realised that night he'll NEVER be able to buy is fan support like that.). Another that sticks out is when we came back from 3 down against Utd (standing Kop) and both the Manchester Evening News and Schmeichel among others said they'd never heard or seen anything like it. High praise indeed coming from them.

And it's not just a clichéd YNWA before the kickoff. Our song book as opposed to other teams is like an encyclopaedia compared to a panflet. And on the big occasions the back catalogue is extensively delved into. I've lost count of opposition fans you'll see in the City on a European night who are playing in Manchester or close by and have flown in and the very FIRST thing they do is come to over to Liverpool and Anfield just to say they've been as they recognise it as arguably the list iconic club ground in the World. Hell, we'll be eating in Madrid this year on the Monday with some Spanish friends we made the acquaintance of when Leeds played Madrid the Champions League but these guys HAD to visit 'the Mecca of football' in their words. All garnered from growing up watching our triumphs and bening blown away by the crowd.

Most all the major Soanish and Italian tifosi have based their spectacular coriographed displays on the Kop from the standing days. There's a whole book in Italian from Napoli fans on the Liverpool experience and how they modelled what they do on us. The flair, the colour the wit and invention, there's NO place like Anfield and the Kop in full voice. Our banners for another, lovingly home made or expensively paid for for the professional touch, full of unique words and wit. Contrast that to the bland banners of 99% of English clubs covering Union Jacks with things like 'Yorkshire Whites on Tour' ....,

From the inventive singing and colour of the '50's/ '60's/ and '70's through the casual era which we started (whatever the Mancs and ****neys will tell you about the terrace 'style wars') due to bringing back gear you couldn't get in England from trips abroad when Europe was almost exclusively our playground; through today when most every unique L'pool song is taken in no time by opposing fans and turned into their own using the same tune; we've lead the way and been copied over and over. Go to most any European Country to the boys that matter and see which English club and which set of fans they STILL want to talk about.

To deny all the above is either excessively naive, biased, or frankly to not have a frigging clue about what you're talking about. The bond between club and fans here is uniquely special. Even in the modern era when we attract a lot of fans we rather wouldn't. And still recognised as some of the fairest fans around too who always applauded a good opposition display. Hell, your greatest ever manager sent a telegram to the Kop proclaiming us 'Sportsmen of the Century.'

As for the line on Palace and Portsmouth being rocking Premier League grounds, you're doing what you complained of and buying into media hype. Promoted clubs always are great as momentum carries over and they want to show the 'big boys.' But it soon falls away. Portsmouth was always run of the mill whenever we went down. And for all the hype over Palace fans last year, we sung them out of town the late 3-3.

It's always been a funny relationship with Leeds. For years it was REAL ugly and you could guarantee it would be a dead naughty day out in Leeds. (Which was always like stepping back into the past with all these big Yorkshire men in boots, donkey jackets and three star jumpers whilst we had the latest Addida wheels on our feet and sharpest shirts, jumpers et all from our latest 'shopping trip' in Europe but that's another story.). Then came that glorious Sunday in '92 when we beat Utd to hand yuse the League after your win in Sheffield the morning and it turned to a 'best of friends' scenario as it has been ever since. (Although I understand the last time in the League Cup in '04 at Elland Road all our young knobs where running riot and catching Leeds unawares on another real ugly night. <I was in the States at the time> Remains to be seen what Leeds attitude is the next time we play after that. Long memory and all.).

Seriously man you need to experience a big night at Anfield when we DO raise ourselves for the occasion.

As anyone that has experienced the same, you'd be left with a completely new perspective blown away by an experience Universly agreed by the majority who have you can't top ANYWHERE else.

Hail.

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyone can play the throw out a quote game (also Del Piero, Nedved and Ballack have never played in Elland Road making that statement a bit less relevant)

You said "But give us Utd or the Derby or a big European night, and there truly is NO place like it."

Here's what Alex Ferguson said about that. A man who's witnessed both sets of supporters many times. 

We’ve said for a long time that Liverpool-United games have always been fierce in many aspects and sometimes supporters can play a bad part in particular games.

'But it never reaches the levels of Leeds United. Never. I don’t know why. I don’t understand it between Leeds and Manchester United. But it’s there and it’s not nice.’

Heres the link to that quote if you don't believe me http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/273597/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Anfield-trip-not-worst

Not sure if you've heard this but heres a big reason why Leeds fans have such respect for Liverpool. This is when the relationship really turned round. 1969.

"What happened next has become part of Leeds United folklore. Beforehand, Revie had instructed Bremner, if they should get that decisive point, to lead the players after the game towards the Kop. Bremner took some persuading, but after they had celebrated before their own travelling support, Bremner duly marched his men forward. The ground fell silent, but instead of being lynched, the Leeds team were surprised to find themselves being loudly hailed as 'champions' by the 27,000 Koppites massed in front of them. The players stayed put for 20 minutes, soaking it all in, larking around, jumping on one another and paying their tributes to both sets of fans. They had been derided and despised for such a long time that one could not blame them for basking in the adulation. 'Being cheered by a rival crowd - any rival crowd - was a new experience for us,' Eddie Gray recalls. 'This in itself was as much of a turning point for Leeds as the championship achievement.

Everything you've said about fans visiting Anfield as they've heard about its great atmosphere etc. is all fairly irrelevant really. Liverpool fans are known for being proper football fans and fairly so. Anfield is one of the premier grounds to watch football in England no doubt about it but it doesn't mean ye've the best atmosphere in world football. Problem with Elland Road is people genuinely felt too intimidated to visit it and the media despises us. We don't get praised hence we're never gonna get that reputation for having genuine loud fans, as well as intimidating. As a fan its all about using your numbers to create an advantage for the home team. Leeds fans did that as well as any club (including Liverpool).

Always loved this quote from Charlie Nicholas. Keep in mind this was when the club was at its lowest ebb, in League 1. Now thats an atmosphere like no other. 

They've just crumbled Bristol Rovers, the sheer volume of noise from leeds fans has terrified them.

Maybe you need to experience a big game at Elland Road before you make these rash statements..

Even so the likes of Dortmund and Celtic are every bit as loud as Liverpool are in the modern day. Anfield really isn't unique when it comes to the big nights, as much as you might wish to believe thats the case. Great history, tradition etc that you can basically feel while you're there but in terms of the loudness of supporters you're just part of the elite bunch, not on a pedestal on your own. 

I know exactly what I'm talking about .....

With respect you either don't, you're being obtuse for the Hell of it, or you're just being passionate about your own club.

I would leave it at 'ignorance is bliss' but let's address a few things for ****s and giggles:

Anyone can play the throw out a quote game (also Del Piero, Nedved and Ballack have never played in Elland Road making that statement a bit less relevant) .....

Yet it's fine for you to link quotes? Gotcha'.

You said "But give us Utd or the Derby or a big European night, and there truly is NO place like it."

Here's what Alex Ferguson said about that. A man who's witnessed both sets of supporters many times. 

Heres the link to that quote if you don't believe me http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/273597/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Anfield-trip-not-worst .....

First off thank you so much for having me click on a link to that low life rag, but regardless, you're quoting Ferguson saying the levels of abuse he gets at Elland Road is more venomous than at Anfield as some sort of justification for what exactly?

You're tops in abuse. Yay Leeds! Have a cookie.

Not sure if you've heard this but heres a big reason why Leeds fans have such respect for Liverpool. This is when the relationship really turned round. 1969 .....

You did actually read my post that you quoted right? The part from me referencing Revie's telegram to us after that?

And it's nice to know you have respect. But up until '92 it certainly wasn't evident from the majority of Leeds fans as trips to Elland Road were always ugly, very naughty affairs with no love lost from either group.

Feel free to spin that into a positive. I only experienced that 'welcome' more times than I care to remember but yer know.

Everything you've said about fans visiting Anfield as they've heard about its great atmosphere etc. is all fairly irrelevant really. Liverpool fans are known for being proper football fans and fairly so. Anfield is one of the premier grounds to watch football in England no doubt about it but it doesn't mean ye've the best atmosphere in world football. Problem with Elland Road is people genuinely felt too intimidated to visit it and the media despises us. We don't get praised hence we're never gonna get that reputation for having genuine loud fans, as well as intimidating. As a fan its all about using your numbers to create an advantage for the home team. Leeds fans did that as well as any club (including Liverpool).

Yeah, it's all media hype that our reputation Europe wide spans from. You've pushed that line already. Got it. :rolleyes:

BTW, are you always especially quiet at home against us out of the previously mentioned respect? ;)

Always loved this quote from Charlie Nicholas.....

WAIT! I thought quoting people was irrelevant? Ahhh, not when it suits. I'm getting this now .....

Maybe you need to experience a big game at Elland Road before you make these rash statements..

I have on more times than I care to remember.

Again, are you mute out of the aforementioned respect for us? Being as we always sing you out of town like ..... Or is that more media hype? This is all very confusing.

Even so the likes of Dortmund and Celtic are every bit as loud as Liverpool are in the modern day. Anfield really isn't unique when it comes to the big nights, as much as you might wish to believe thats the case. Great history, tradition etc that you can basically feel while you're there but in terms of the loudness of supporters you're just part of the elite bunch, not on a pedestal on your own.....

I would counter but what's the point? It would only fall on deaf ears, so we'll leave it at that and say everyone else is wrong and you're right on Anfield and L'pool fans.

Ignorance is bliss.

__________________________________________________________________________________

WOOOOOOOOO Mirallas! 4-0!

Great game after the hiatus from Europe.

Shutout ruined by an amazing free kick. Sucks.

Congratulations.

And equal condolences in advance of your next game in Europe being as you'll be going into it on a low after your annual Anfield hiding. ;)  :D

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Oh, no question. Leeds have a very loyal and passionate (if nasty) fan base.

Well, to say that Anfield is a fortress when you're playing awesome in big games is one thing.  Saying Elland Road is a fortress in the Championship is another.  It's fun to be a fan when you're on top.  It's another when you're mired in mediocrity (no offense Leeds) and are still loud as hell. 

And I don't really care about either team (though you Liverpool guys are doing your best at trying to make me hate you, that's for sure).  Blackburn is a fan base that is very much like the Skins now where everyone's at each others throat and at best fill up Ewood Park about half way.  All I can do is stare at my computer screen.

• Like 1

With respect you either don't, you're being obtuse for the Hell of it, or you're just being passionate about your own club.

I would leave it at 'ignorance is bliss' but let's address a few things for ****s and giggles:

I'm the ignorant one? This is an internet forum GHH all I'm doing is giving my opinion  :lol:

All Liverpool fans have this built in opinion that they're the best supporters the world has ever seen. I'm saying that is just simply not the case. Most non scouse football fans who watch English football outside of the 'Sky Generation' would back me up on this. Thats the truth. 

Yet it's fine for you to link quotes? Gotcha'.

Ehh I don't think you understood what I was saying here..

It's pointless talking about quotes from Nedved, Del Piero etc. when they've not experienced the likes of Elland Road. Ferguson has so I think his opinion holds a lot more merit. 

First off thank you so much for having me click on a link to that low life rag, but regardless, you're quoting Ferguson saying the levels of abuse he gets at Elland Road is more venomous than at Anfield as some sort of justification for what exactly?

You're tops in abuse. Yay Leeds! Have a cookie.

I said previously a great atmosphere gives the home team a genuine advantage. Ferguson backed up this point by saying countless times in the past how difficult it is to play at Elland Road and that the hostility of the fans makes it like no other ground in English football. They just want to get in and out of there asap. 

You did actually read my post that you quoted right? The part from me referencing Revie's telegram to us after that?

And it's nice to know you have respect. But up until '92 it certainly wasn't evident from the majority of Leeds fans as trips to Elland Road were always ugly, very naughty affairs with no love lost from either group.

Feel free to spin that into a positive. I only experienced that 'welcome' more times than I care to remember but yer know.

Apologies mis-read the telegram part. My fault.

Thats what you used to get in Elland Road though. Didn't matter who we were playing, we made it hostile. There was respect for Liverpool underneath all that though, we're just not gonna show it on a match day are we?

BTW, are you always especially quiet at home against us out of the previously mentioned respect? ;)

Well something isn't adding up here..

You've already said Elland Road was "Loud and Intimidating no question"

WAIT! I thought quoting people was irrelevant? Ahhh, not when it suits. I'm getting this now .....

Relevant when talking about relevant people my friend. Hope you're getting that now..

Again, are you mute out of the aforementioned respect for us? Being as we always sing you out of town like ..... Or is that more media hype? This is all very confusing.

Thats an easy statement to make but just not true. Listen to the highlights of the Viduka 4-3 game for reference if you'd like.

I would counter but what's the point? It would only fall on deaf ears, so we'll leave it at that and say everyone else is wrong and you're right on Anfield and L'pool fans.

Ignorance is bliss.

My opinion GHH. That is all. 

I don't really see the ignorance. 

I see this going down a similar path and into a pointless discussion (it already is really)

May just agree to disagree. 

Time to get the title charge back on track.

At home today with Basle coming up so I get to watch it with you guys.

My first ever game was in the first round of the '80/ '81 Lge. Cup run. Seems like a lifetime ago:

The greatest ever FA Cup final:

And just because I'm on a West 'Am final kick:

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

****ing Lucas.

At least he's gone 2 forwards. Only problem is one is frigging Borini.

Comfortable win today Redmen. No scrappy 1-0/ 2-1. These ARE utter wank and should be disposed of accordingly.

Hail.

Yeah, I was happy to see that we have two going forward.  But why not Lambert?

Maybe we'll see him later in the match.

Two big forwards may be what the doctor ordered against a goon squad like West Ham.  Lambert and Balo would be tough. 

I've never even stepped on an organized soccer pitch so if I sound dumb, I'm sorry

But how the hell do these professionals suck so hard at defending set pieces.

Arsenal and Liverpool both. What the hell do they do in training?

Can a knowledgeable poster please help me understand?

Cohesion. When Adams and Keon who had played together for years were around it was almost impossible to score on a set peice against Arsenal.

I've never even stepped on an organized soccer pitch so if I sound dumb, I'm sorry

But how the hell do these professionals suck so hard at defending set pieces.

Arsenal and Liverpool both. What the hell do they do in training?

Can a knowledgeable poster please help me understand?

The answer for LFC at least in this case is that Mignolet sucks and Skrtel hasn't played with Lovren in about a month.

Zonal marking also sucks and I don't know why we keep trotting it out.

What in the world are these guys working on during practice?