Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I didn't think much of Giroud when he came. He ran awkwardly and was an unknown commodity. I think if he has a good season for himself, he's capable of putting in 30 goals. 

"Average" seems harsh. I'd give him "above average" :D

He's definitely in the "B+" category for me, too.

Think Sanchez may bring out the lion in him.

So something I couldn't help thinking about.  Real went through Dortmund and Bayern in CL.  Now The first game for Dortmund was at Real with no Lewandowski.  They loss 3-0.  They played back in Dortmund and won 2-0 and would have won 3-0 if not for a horrible miss on a open net.  So Dortmund basically was inches away from tying the aggregate at home.  Now Real won at home then demolished Bayern on the road.  What do you attribute that to?  Dortmund talent wise is quite a bit far behind Bayern which is packed with stars and the german national team.

Bayern, IIRC, had clinched the Bundesliga by weeks at that point with a lot of the season left to play. A lot of people felt they couldn't get that focus and intensity of being in the chase week in and week out.

There's a tendency to apply the transitive property to sports: A beats B, B beats C so A is guaranteed to beat C. There are so many factors that go into it that sometimes it doesn't hold up.

So something I couldn't help thinking about.  Real went through Dortmund and Bayern in CL.  Now The first game for Dortmund was at Real with no Lewandowski.  They loss 3-0.  They played back in Dortmund and won 2-0 and would have won 3-0 if not for a horrible miss on a open net.  So Dortmund basically was inches away from tying the aggregate at home.  Now Real won at home then demolished Bayern on the road.  What do you attribute that to?  Dortmund talent wise is quite a bit far behind Bayern which is packed with stars and the german national team.

I think Real demolishing Bayern like that was a bit of an anomaly and if Mikhtarian doesnt miss an open goal Real don't even go through. They're not as dominant a team as the results against Bayern would suggest and if you put them up against Barcelona's teams from 09-11 it's not even close.

Who the Hell is Eliaquim Mangala?

City have just signed him from Porto for £ 32 million. Some French dude.

Financial fair play be damned. FU UEFA!

Hail.

I will say it again, if Liverpool had been in Europe the last few years they would have also ran afoul of Financial Fair Play this year. Edited by JoeWolf990

I guess like Joe said, it was Arsene who decided to give them the allotted time off. Which I understand. But now, with Kos injured, we'll be lining up with Chambers and Monreal at CB. I trust Chambers already but Monreal...ehh. I know it's CP but ehhhhh

Podolski is basically conducting his own world tour right now. He's one of those people who's always moving...high energy guy. A shame he doesn't show high energy when he plays for Arsenal.

I'm thoroughly confused about that.

Is that normal? Podolski barely played in the WC. Why the hell does he to sit?

I just don't understand why. Especially Mertesacker. We have like 2 active CBs and that's in jeopardy because Kos hurt his Achilles yesterday

We got a new head trainer, Shad Forsythe. He's very involved so has a say when he feels the return for these guys will be optimal. He's also worked extensively with the German national team, so he more than anyone, will know when these guys are ready (one hopes).

Amy Lawrence had a nice article about him recently in The Guardian.

Edited by Elessar78

Who the Hell is Eliaquim Mangala?

City have just signed him from Porto for £ 32 million. Some French dude.

Financial fair play be damned. FU UEFA!

Hail.

The French international would yield €30.5 millions to FC Porto who recruited him for €7.5 millions from Standard Liege in 2011 and held 57.67% of his rights. The Citizens have also paid €23.3 millions to redeem the shares held by investment groups Robi Dean Sports Plus.

Total cost of the transaction: €53.8 millions !

Those sheiks will never get it, LOL. The hell to Platini's FP.

Edited by FrFan

The French international would yield €30.5 millions to FC Porto who recruited him for €7.5 millions from Standard Liege in 2011 and held 57.67% of his rights. The Citizens have also paid €23.3 millions to redeem the shares held by investment groups Robi Dean Sports Plus.

Total cost of the transaction: €53.8 millions !

Those sheiks will never get it, LOL. The hell to Platini's FP.

Usually when I'm reading a transfer story and the words "from Porto" appear in it 9/10 it's a very good player at the very least. Best scouting club in world football IMO.

Usually when I'm reading a transfer story and the words "from Porto" appear in it 9/10 it's a very good player at the very least. Best scouting club in world football IMO.

Agreed, their scouting department is simply the best. Pinto da Costa (CEO), Barros (scouting dpt), Mendes (agent).

196 M€ transferts profits within 3 years:

2007: Pepe (Real Madrid, €30 M) Anderson (Manchester United, €31,5 M)

2008 Ricardo Quaresma (Inter Milan, €24,5 M) and José Bosingwa (Chelsea, €20 M€)

2009 Lisandro Lopez (Olympique Lyonnais, €24 M plus bonus), Lucho Gonzalez (Olympique de Marseille, €18 M plus bonus) Aly Cissokho (Olympique Lyonnais, €15 M)

It would be interesting to know how much they made during the last decade.

Edited by FrFan

Literally not a single one of those players were worth the fees they went for. Wow. It's more like highway robbery than great scouting and development.

Edit: Except maybe Lucho...Quaresma is understandable at the time as well

Edited by RawBBQSauce

Literally not a single one of those players were worth the fees they went for. Wow. It's more like highway robbery than great scouting and development.

Edit: Except maybe Lucho...Quaresma is understandable at the time as well

All those guys were playing great with Porto such as Hulk, but it seems that for most of them, since they left they became only the shadow of themselves.

There is no robbery here, Porto has never forced any one to pay such insanes transfer fees. They just outsmarted everyone, signing players on the cheap, making them shine like never before, and finally using the market to sell them with a huge profit. There are so many dummies (Chelski, Qataris, sheiks, etc...) who thinks that buying a great talent will make them a winner and obviously refusing to acknowledge that they won't fit. See Cavani at PSG, see Messi shining at Barcelona and being the shadow of himself with la Albiceleste.

Jameis Rodriguez and Falcao being the last stars to be traded. They got Jameis for €5.1 millions sold him for €45 millions, Falcao for €5.5 millions and sold him for €47 millions to Athletico Madrid. They got Hulk for €5.5 millions and sold him for €60 millions to Zenith !

Edited by FrFan