Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I am a La Liga partisan... no excuses if I was Spanish, but I enjoy all of the clubs even if I do prefer Barcelona... between Athletico, Real and Barca (I know its like being an "NFC East" fan).  

Kroos, Modric, Casemiro, Benzema, Carvajal... what a dynastic run for all of them!  I think these are the contributors who were part of their treble thru 2018 and this squad.  

While Courtois was MOTM, they did a fantastic job of pressuring Liverpool throughout the night and then Courtois was amazing when they failed.  I noticed a few times Dani C chasing and pressuring Liverpool so they couldn't dictate their offense. 

For those who think Liverpool played like a sack of potatoes, Salah had two solid chances (curving to the post and the right footed blast), two decent chances (point blank later and close in during 2H) and I even recall Mane got a ball past Courtois early in the game. 

Madrid's strategy to counter didn't create many chances, overall -- but they were able to exploit the offensive posture of Liverpool.  Fairly or not, Alexander-Arnold will get blasted for not marking Vini... it was a perfect ground cross from Valverde.  Truly heartbreaking. 

I know most Americans will say "1-0 is a boring result" but there was a lot of action in this one. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Loving Today’s Glorious Victory!! 14th Crown.

Drinking all the tears of shocked PL fans from around the world!! Hala Madrid!!

We don’t play in finals matches, We win them!!!

If, coulda, woulda, Shoulda.
Either you win, or you lose. The pundits and many fans need to stop with the rationalizing the fact you didn’t get it done. Can you imagine this whining in other sports? Ha ha ha.

It’s embarrassing. Oh now they were tired! Give credit where it’s Due. 

Courtois was a Monster.

All the chances? Their were 3 super chances and 3 world class saves, the rest were midling imo.  

Valverde, Vini, Carvajal, Militao, Casemiro, Alaba, & Mendy all balled. This wasn’t a one man show.
The possession was 50/50. The counter attack worked. The disputed, by many,  disallowed goal. There were other dangerous moments if not chances.  We all knew the clash between Trent and Vini was gonna be key, and that was the difference.  Along with a masterclass in goal. 

We have more Championships than the entire PL combined.  Put some damn respect on our name!!!! Kings of Europe!!!!!

And by the way liverpool is an amazing side, but we came out and got it done. See it’s not hard. 

This post isn’t directed and anyone in here, just generally the PL bias, and I get it, they take in the cash, biggest best league in the world. And an Amazing team in Liverpool.

But we’ve been hearing it week after week, the inevitable, Liverpool wins. Man City wins, Chelsea wins, PSG wins…

Just feels good to say, NO.

Real Madrid Wins. Again and again. 

Who on God’s green earth sold you the absolute fantasy of PL fans in tears over a Liverpool loss? 🤣 Nearly spit my damn coffee out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Good luck to Ukraine in their European playoff against Wales.

Hard to be upset either way it went. Ukraine for the obvious reasons, but Wales, a football crazy country, had not been to the WC in 64 years.

USA has their work cut out for them, getting out of that group. I’ll be interested in seeing how they do against Uruguay this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta hand it to Mr. Snyder...he sure can ruin what should be a sure thing.  No DC, or even Baltimore in the World Cup is a travesty.  Add it to the pile.

That being said, I think it's a good batch of cities.  I'd rather have Nashville than Boston, but what can you do.

Edited by fullnelson9999

Soccer fans in KC are absolutely shocked we got one of the spots but soccer is extremely popular here and this is one of the best sports towns in the country in general. Amazing culinary city too beyond its BBQ specialty. Now they have 4 years to gentrify the neighborhoods around Arrowhead 😆

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 12:32 PM, Long n Left said:

Not a Rooney fan personally, but anything is better than the disaster there now!

Agree. Can’t stand Rooney. He actually did a great job at Derby in the circumstances.

I dislike Derby as well so they were a good match...However he allegedly paid player wages whilst Derby were in administration, essentially bankrupt, so aside from being ex Everton, Man Utd, Derby, and a womaniser, he must have some strong qualities buried in there somewhere....

58 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree. Can’t stand Rooney. He actually did a great job at Derby in the circumstances.

I dislike Derby as well so they were a good match...However he allegedly paid player wages whilst Derby were in administration, essentially bankrupt, so aside from being ex Everton, Man Utd, Derby, and a womaniser, he must have some strong qualities buried in there somewhere....

Gran shagger? 🤣

Yeah, he got a tough go at Derby, and did the best he could. DC United is a train wreck at the moment, maybe he’s the guy that can turn it around. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

I guess no one goes to US Soccer thread anymore, have the DC United - Charlotte Whatever game on, Rooney and Co. getting creamed.

At 6-3-12 and last place, I don't see much of improvement from what we had (though I agree it was time to move on).

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I guess no one goes to US Soccer thread anymore, have the DC United - Charlotte Whatever game on, Rooney and Co. getting creamed.

At 6-3-12 and last place, I don't see much of improvement from what we had (though I agree it was time to move on).

Was at the match last night. At least they’re playing a more exciting brand of footy, but they just don’t have the horses. Management has made poor personnel decisions recently, and it’s gonna take time, and money, to get better players in.

Charlotte is not that good a team, but they have improved dramatically through the season. Completely dominated the match. Rodney’s got his work cut out for him, but the fact that he came back to DC seems as though he likes the area, and may stay on a bit. Need a talent infusion this off-season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This was a complete travesty to begin with. Most thought the bid was going to the Netherlands-Belgium group, and, miraculously, there is a late turn of events, and Qatar gets the bid. The corruption of FIFA knows no bounds (I could also throw UEFA, the FA, and a few other footy organizations in there too), and to not think that bribery was the tool for Qatar to get this WC is to place your head deep in the sand.

As a massive footy fan, I will watch, and root for my Oranje, and Red, White, and Blue, as I don’t believe my watching will benefit these human rights abusing ****bags, but I will also take note of the sponsors, and choose to not buy/use their product. That is how I will make my small statement, with my wallet. Money talks, certainly in world football.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Fergasun said:

What is going on with Liverpool?  Missing Mane... is Firmino also hurt?  Mid table quality... 

Man United looking strong today too!

I hope GHH will be back to keep us posted when dany boy will hit the road.

Edited by FrFan