Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

39 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

😣

COMPLETELY taken the shine off the final. 

This has the potential for serious aggro with those horrible ****s. 

Throw in the 'hit first, ask questions later. Spanish Police .....

Really, REALLY didn't need this. 

BOLLOCKS!

Hail. 

• Sad 2

This is our 9th European Cup Final. 

Which apparently put us joint 4th all time for appearance in the biggest game in football. 

Final Appearances. 

16- Real Madrid. 
11- AC Milan. 
10- Bayern Munich. 
 9- Juventus/ Liverpool. 
 8- Barcelona.
 7- Benfica.
 6- Ajax.

Wins. 

13- Real Madrid. 
 7- AC Milan.
 5- Barcelona/ Bayern Munich/ Liverpool.
 4- Ajax.

Here's to #6!

This football club. 

Hail. 

What a glorious day to go (hopefully) win a league. 

And if we don't, fair F's to City. There's nottin more this awesome gang of Reds could have done. And having Madrid to look forward to in three weeks isn't a half bad consolation prize. 

One of the best aways this year, and man has there been a LOT, was that Friday night in the monsoon at Wolves. It felt like half of L’pool knocked off early for Chrimbo and converged on Wolverhampton for one big Scouse bevvy. 

I honestly don’t know how the players played to such a high standard in the driving rain on what was essentially an ice rink. A testament to all 22 players involved. 

The vocal was superb all night long. We really went through the back catalogue. And the young lads never missed a word. Real pride night. Seeing Trent under the stand half time absolutely ballooned just topped a brilliant night off haha.

Lets, save for the tropical storm, do that again! This is fixing to be one of the drunkest home games in a long time. With Anfield absolutely wild again after the stupendous heroics of Tuesday night. A massive Scouse party regardless of what happens at Brighton. 

Up the still believing Reds!

Hail. 

• Like 1

@Gibbs Hog Heaven
I been out of pocket for the past week. When I left, it was setting up to be Ajax-Barcelona. Just came back yesterday to see the results.

AMAZING - and for it to happen without the Brazilian or Egyptian.

Disappointed with result as a Barca "casual supporter"... CL has witched them -- thinking the big loss setting up their comeback on PSG, plus similar result against Roma. The depth on the Liverpool side.... that is one resilient team.

hell of a season.  proud of the way liverpool fought and pushed city to the very last moments. 

tip of the hat to city.  they had to go on a 14 game winning streak in the best and most balanced league in the world to score the second highest point total in premier league history to beat their challengers by a single point.  that's tough sledding and a ton of pressure to be perfect.  and perfect they were. 

that the january match at the etihad was 11mm away from being a tie is a perfect representation of how close this entire race was.  it sure was fun to be a part of, and as much as i would have love to see the trophy in red, there will be tons of great memories to be had from the 18-19 season. 

on to madrid, boys!  heads held high... there's a trophy to win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, dchogs said:

hell of a season.  proud of the way liverpool fought and pushed city to the very last moments. 

tip of the hat to city.  they had to go on a 14 game winning streak in the best and most balanced league in the world to score the second highest point total in premier league history to beat their challengers by a single point.  that's tough sledding and a ton of pressure to be perfect.  and perfect they were. 

that the january match at the etihad was 11mm away from being a tie is a perfect representation of how close this entire race was.  it sure was fun to be a part of, and as much as i would have love to see the trophy in red, there will be tons of great memories to be had from the 18-19 season. 

on to madrid, boys!  heads held high... there's a trophy to win!

I think it’s more the draws at Everton and Old Trafford. Both games Liverpool should have walked. Ultimately a draw is closer to a loss than a win. 

3 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I think it’s more the draws at Everton and Old Trafford. Both games Liverpool should have walked. Ultimately a draw is closer to a loss than a win. 

what does that mean?  do you think those two draws are a better representation of how close the race was?   you think that's a better sign of how close the race was than a ball being 11mm away from drawing a game between the two front runners (that would have resulted in a 3 pt swing in liverpool's favor)?  or did you just want to rub salt in the wound that liverpool drew against their two biggest rivals?

okay, sure, have it your way.  yes, if liverpool had won any one of our 7 draws this year, liverpool would have won.  to me, drawing against leicester and west ham are less excusable than everton or united.  if city hadn't lost to chelsea or leicester, it wouldn't have been as close a race either. 

doesn't change the fact that liverpool scored more points this past season than manchester united did in any of it's league winning seasons.  that those efforts earned liverpool 2nd place is remarkable.  i'd say it's unlucky and unfortunate as a liverpool fan, and you can say that points don't matter only winning, and we'd both be right.  it was still a remarkable race that went to the wire, and i'm glad it was liverpool that was doing the pushing rather than any other team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My head's still sore from yesterday/ last night (man am I glad I booked today off. That was a late, VERY messy one), but let's have a go at putting into words just how utterly brilliant this year been, which still has the biggest game and prize in football to come, and just how utterly proud and happy we are with this superb gang of Reds. 

*This might end up being long but there's a lot to cover from this stupendous year. Apologies in advance. 

Utterly mad experience to get a win, to finish second, in the greatest English league title race in history, yesterday. And still be utterly proud in your team and amazed in what they keep on doing. I mean you should be disappointed. And let's not skirt around that. The disappointment is naturally there. But, in life, you don't always get what you deserve. And neither of City or Liverpool, the two clear best sides in Europe, not only England (let's not downplay that. Both clearly are THAT far ahead of everyone else right now), deserved to finish runner-up to the other. But one had to. It hurts when you've put SO much into this season for the ages and it's you who ends up agonizingly a hairsbreadth short. Football can be a cruel, cruel game. But, thankfully, it also affords you the quick ability to bounce back and it's not a bad consolation when you have the biggest game of all, for the biggest prize of all, to look forward to in less than three weeks. 

L'pool weren't great yesterday. Understandably given the situation. Which wasn't helped by the blag scorelines from Brighton going around. That was an utterly mad 10 after we scored to then have rumours of what was going on down the South Coast. Had Brighton scored? Was it 1-0? More rumours and roars. Had they scored a second? Utter madness which clearly affected the players on the park as they're living through this with us whilst trying to keep their heads among the madness of not knowing what was happening? A sad by-product of today's mobile 'phone era. But this L'pool side doesn't have to be great. They comfortably beat the 7th best side in this Country without really breaking sweat. And to do that off the back of the emotionally draining effort of Tuesday night against Barcelona, and all that a last day decider entails ..... again, what a special, SPECIAL group we have here who just NEVER give in. We came through and we did our part and you honestly couldn't be any prouder of them if they'd now be sitting here as Champions. 

The less said on the Wolves 'fans' the better. What is it with today's breed of supporter? They've got a team who they should be super proud of in their own right. Who've given them the best season they've had in decades. A real top side in their own right of absolute warriors who are a serious threat to Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd for the top 6 next season. And they come on the final day not to celebrate that but to try mock a L'pool side that's just had one of the best league seasons in history! There was barely ONE song about their own team! Just mad celebrations at City's goals. Singing about Raheem. What the F he has to do with Wolverhampton is anyone's guess? Trying to tell us we 'F it up again!' How exactly you F something up when you're beating the team saying it, and never had it in your own hands going in to yesterdays game, is anyone's guess? Aside from the 97 points it garnered ..... A SERIOUSLY weird set of fans them. 'Who the F Hell are YOU?!!!!!' was the appropriate response. Small time knobheads. 

Great support right through from ourselves, as gutted as we were. Which was no more than these magnificent Reds deserved. And superb that the vast majority stayed well behind until the very last player had left the pitch. We share the lows as much as the ridiculous highs they've given us together as one. 'You'll Never Walk Alone' isn't or anthem for nothing or sung lightly here. Sidenote- Did the telly show that and the kids? Get on Mo's little girl with the dribbling and scoring. There's a future star the ladies side haha. 

And that continued after the match and around town. It wasn't the wild celebrations it naturally would have been had we ended up with the league. But it was FAR from a depressed, down mood as the ale flowed and the songs were sung. Seriously, HOW could you not be ANYTHING other than super proud in every single last one of them? They've just put up 97 points. NINTEY SEVEN! Uttely mad. That's the fourth highest total in English top flight history in you convert our 77'78 side to three points for a win. And the other two have been this equally magnificent Manchester City side the past two years. They've lost one game all year. ONE! To the team above them. The fact we don't have that big silvery thing to show for 38 magnificent games takes NOTHING away from what these lads have done. They've given us some of the best day's of our entire lives watching the best, most complete Liverpool side in my nigh on 40-year match going lifetime. A side that just collects points at an absolutely ridiculous rate. To finish second to a City side that's WELL arguably the best anyone has ever seen ...you'd have to be SERIOUSLY bitter and NOT understand this football club, this City or our fan culture to not be anything but immensely proud in that. To see all the young lads out partying and just so privileged and grateful for what we have warms your heart too. Last nights season ending BOSSNight gig must have been something super special- 

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1127672559187701760

A shout out to a few players- 

Trent- Utterly frightening just HOW much better the best RB in Europe is going to become. 17 assists on the season! 17! A PL record 12 assists for a defender. Both he and Andy Robbo are better than most other teams midfielders. We literally have two lads with the insane passing ability of WC #10's playing FB. Best English crosser of a ball since Beckham. Who consistently does what that lad used to. At 20-years of age. In only his SECOND full season. Topped off by the fact he's a Scouser. It doesn't get ANY better than that. 

Alisson- Best 'keeper in the World. Let's not undervalue him. His last two years have been not only off the charts statistically. But he's now in the minds of opposition lads who just don't think they can score past him. The presence and self-assurance he's given to everyone back there has been EVERY bit as important as van Dijk. We wouldn't be looking forward to a massive Scouse party in Madrid in less than three weeks if he hadn't come up super big against Napoli and Barcelona. To now become the first goalie in 10 years to break 20 PL clean sheets, equalling the second highest ever 21 that van der Sar put up in '08/'09, winning the Golden Glove trophy his first season ..... Magnificent. Best since Brucie Grobbelaar who I have little doubt will end up as our top all-time goalie when it's all said and done. 

Joel Matip- For a man I'd have had out of the door last summer, our most improved player by a Country mile. WHAT a season he's had! Big Virg goes without saying. But Joels managed to outperform even him the run-in. His performances in one of the greatest European wins in our storied history in Munich, and then both legs the semi against Barcelona, the second of which was one of the greatest in UEFA competition history, were beyond stunning. No secret I love JMG way more than any sane fella' should. But he's gonna' have a SERIOUS fight to get back in this side next year regularly with Joel at this ridiculous level. 

Ecstatic to hold my hands up and be proved wrong on him. Unreal turnaround. Extend him YESTERDAY!

The PL joint top scorers, Sadio and Mo- 

Mo Salah. One season wonder. Having a real down season right? Man do people look F stupid the longer the years gone on him. He's been MAGNIFICENT all year without hitting the goal heights of last season. His all-around game has improved immensely and the work he does for the team and how integral he is to what everyone else can do is unparalleled. Absolutely World Class footballer. PL top scorer two years running. No more needs adding. 

And it's time Sadio got the same recognition. He's also in the World Class bracket. For all the magnificent individual performances this year across the board, I think he just edges the player of the year for me. The number of big goals at big times ..... The best, most composed finisher of the front three. Which speaks for itself when you have exceptional talents in Bobby and Mo alongside you. His level has just NEVER dropped. ALL year long. Someone that has to be constantly accounted for even when he's not having the luck in front of goal. Stunning season. Stunning player. Finishing joint top scorer the PL was no more than the little genius deserved. 

I could go on and on. There's been SO many ridiculous individual performances. But it's the overall team that blows you away. The consistency and ability to beat you in a multitude of ways this point hungry gang of Reds have is unreal. And unlike every other PL season where L'pool have challenged for the title and fell short, this group is going NOWHERE! This is just the start of our journey together. As they've done season-on-season under Jurgen, they're only going to get better and better. And also unlike any other failed challenge, we won't be losing ANY of our top players. Liverpool Football Club is no longer a 'stepping stone' to bigger things for players. Back-to-back CL finals. 97 bloody points in the league. You aren't topping that anywhere. We're a much better side than the Barcelona's and Madrids of this World and NO amount of their money is changing that. Players dreams can now be seriously realised here and our lads don't want to be anywhere else. Along with targets who want to come here above most any other club. Our cycle is WELL and truly here again and it's only getting to get better and better. 

Talking of .....

' ...... We're going to MADRID! ..... '

Not a bad way to get over yesterday is it? Knowing that 60/70 thousand Reds are off to yet another European Cup final. Off to the biggest game in the whole of the sport to play for the biggest prize in the whole of the sport. For the second straight year. This team well and truly back as one of European football's premier powerhouses and a side at the very least on equal footing with ANYONE out there. This wondrous, wondrous year still has one more special day to go. 

City, and again, the sincerest of congratulations to them, they've been beyond magnificent too, can be Champions of England. We'll give everything next year to wrestle that off them. 

We'll just have to settle for (hopefully), being champions of a whole bloody Continent! 

Not a bad consolation in prospect at all is it?

Up the Reds! They've done the football club and City proud this year and we couldn't be happier with them!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 3

Just looking at the final table. A 25 point gap to third. NINE wins. Absolutely ridiculous. For top 6 read top 2 then the rest. The PL for the foreseeable is like La Liga has been for the vast majority of its existence. A complete two-horse league for the title. Just replace City and Liverpool for Barcelona and Madrid. 

I'm working on the premise City are capable of dropping 114 points next season. They won't of course. Nobody ever will. But that's your starting point and you're looking at 90 plus just to be in the conversation. That's the bar and we know we have the team who'll push them neck and neck again. 

From Germany to England, Jurgen and Pep are having a rivalry for the ages the right way with no B/S mind games/ slagging off each other's clubs. Just the utmost respect from record-breaking levels of play on the pitch.  

What an era this is. Roll on next season's fight! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

A super piece from Mel Reddy, as always, on just what has gone into both pulling back that whopping 24 point swing on City this year and setting everything in place for long term sustainability. 

All in the details- 

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-inside-edge-how-liverpool-pushed-manchester-city-all-the-way-and-why-this-is-only-the-start-of-their-challenge-e280a8-231335

Hail. 

Was able to watch all 90 mins from the Blitz at Anfield --- I was out of pocket could glimpse at the game last 20 min of 2nd half and heard the score.

Fans had that stadium rocking and looks like a fantastic environment to play for.

Allison played his balls off... there were a number of saves made not only in the 15 to 25 min stretch in first half but also right at halftime and coming out of half. Alternatively could be Barcelona's poor finishing... was it Couthino who was on goal with 3 other FCB players on them and they wasted that chance. Aside from Messi offensive creativity was absolutly pathetic. 1 goal on any of the few chances would have sealed it for FCB.

Defensively they were equally poor -- bjt I think their strategy of sitting back (which I hate) made the players too relaxed.

Goal 1 came from great anticipation by Mane but sloppy play on Barcelona.

Goals 2 and 3 you could sense that Liverpool was smelling blood... Goal 2 I believe came off the giveaway... with a cross and hard shot at Ter Stegen.... that shot was a rocket... and Goal 3 neither Lenglet nor Pique were challenging the header...

Goal 4, well it was absolute brilliance by Alexander-Arnold... speaking of which England could have used him more during the WC...

It looked like Barca crumpled under the pressure... but things spiraled so quickly from 1-0 to the 2nd and 3rd goals.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

Yeah, I read the NY Times piece yesterday. 

Still be utterly shocked if they end up with any sanction. Abu Dhabi money will doubtless make it ultimately go away. 

Which would be the total irony of yet more corruption. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, dchogs said:

what does that mean?  do you think those two draws are a better representation of how close the race was?   you think that's a better sign of how close the race was than a ball being 11mm away from drawing a game between the two front runners (that would have resulted in a 3 pt swing in liverpool's favor)?  or did you just want to rub salt in the wound that liverpool drew against their two biggest rivals?

okay, sure, have it your way.  yes, if liverpool had won any one of our 7 draws this year, liverpool would have won.  to me, drawing against leicester and west ham are less excusable than everton or united.  if city hadn't lost to chelsea or leicester, it wouldn't have been as close a race either. 

doesn't change the fact that liverpool scored more points this past season than manchester united did in any of it's league winning seasons.  that those efforts earned liverpool 2nd place is remarkable.  i'd say it's unlucky and unfortunate as a liverpool fan, and you can say that points don't matter only winning, and we'd both be right.  it was still a remarkable race that went to the wire, and i'm glad it was liverpool that was doing the pushing rather than any other team.

Good lord man don’t give yourself a stroke those were just the games that stood out to me as games that were there for the taking rather than a loss at the emptyhad. What does United’s point totals have to do with my comment btw? 1 point being closer to zero than three isn’t exactly a subjective statement.