Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

35 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Is that what you guys talk about in the echo chamber?

Echo chamber getting louder and louder with all our titles :)

And top 4 is now "prominence" when you have no history at all?

Well, finishing top four and getting to CL while getting a good spine without any cash injection.  I also did say "kinda."  Had we not gotten the money from qualifying for CL that year we would have gone bankrupt.  As far as league titles and hardware they've had a fair bit prior to the premier league era.  But not like Liverpool, Man U, Aston villa, Newcastle, Everton even.  But premier league history Chelsea is one of the best.   

Actually just had had to look it up bc I didn't know the answer.  Chelsea have spent 19 season in the 2nd division.  Liverpool 11.  Arsenal 13?  I'm not so sure if the arsenal one is right.  Man united 22.  Man city 24.  (All from Wikipedia).  The only point is that Chelsea have been in top division like everyone, not winning as much hardware sure.  theres obviously no doubt about the impact of roman though, both domestically and internationally.  

Not sure why the bolding is all messed up.  On mobile so can't fix it. 

Edited by SkinssRvA

I am just so impressed with this kid Solanke.  Nothing fancy, not even one I'd call an old fashioned number 9... just a hardworker whose stronger than a brick **** house and knows where the goal is.  We could've done a lot worse than sign him up.  Another gift from Chelsea.... who clearly believe their own hype...

Grujic needs to start. I think I'd start him or at least play him in Lallana's spot until the injury is up.  This kid can play and he gets better every game.

More fun from the young fullbacks and what on earth has gotten into Moreno?  That's two in a row?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because the opposition was from La Liga.

2 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Not sure why the bolding is all messed up.  On mobile so can't fix it. 

So yeah... you're basically saying "We didn't win **** but we were at the table.  Then Roman bought the club."

Which proves my point. LOL.

I still like you and respect your POV on the game.  I just dislike Chelsea and I always will.

• Like 1

Never been a Neymar fan until the last 12 months. Thinks he's far better than he gets recognition for now. Lots of of sports fans think the Barca thing has got boring. Some won't admit it, but they have. No doubt the money helps in making decisions. Who cares. 

Good luck to him. 

25 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:
Klopp pinching himself at night.

Well he's (Solanke) giving us something we haven't had really since Dirk Kuyt in his prime and probably even before that, isn't he? 

He's got bags of potential and is just always where he needs to be.  He's not a fluke and now he's got the best developer in world football coaching him up.

Woodburn is just a special kid.  I like that Kloppo is setting him a little deeper.  Let him improve his vision and passing touch while he's at it.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Lots of of sports fans think the Barca thing has got boring. Some won't admit it, but they have.

That's very fair.  I agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

And we should all be counting our blessings that you stayed home from this Dublin trip.  Remember what happened last time?

For the last bloody time that pint of Guinness was from the bottom of the barrel and OFF! It's the ONLY logical explanation to why I shouldn't have still been completely coherent after going two Jameson's chasers to every pint of the black stuff all that day. If you'd of let me use that perfectly good defence in court we could have saved on the fine! Stupid! One day you'll listen to me .....

Land Düsseldorf a week Monday 10:20 AM. Clear customs, I reckon we should have a good hour or so the bar, uhmmmm, I mean 'exploring' the airport drinking coffee before the train down to Heidelberg. Which may or may not be an ice train that may or not afford another two and half hours of relaxed drinking. Uhmmm, 'exploring' the train. I hereby solely promise on r Ma's good name that I shall be arriving in the gorgeous looking town of Heidelberg (which is about 11 miles from Hoffenheim. Or whatever the little place is that Hoffenheim are from. I wrote it down. We'll find it), mid-afternoon with all my faculties about me able to put one foot soundly in front of the other to find the hotel. And NO emergency 'phone calls asking for NO emergency bail money will be undertaken. HONEST!

You have my word. Have I ever (knowingly) let you down before? ..... Exactly! 

52 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

I keep telling anyone that will listen (admittedly, not very many people but still), that when Phil moves on a few years down the line, all the people that will then be clamoring for a mega money replacement will be pleasantly surprised to find we've been grooming one of our own to save us millions and slot right in at the time to Phil's role. 

That lad is super special. And that'a all anyone needs to know. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

You have my word. Have I ever (knowingly) let you down before? ..... Exactly! 

Hail. 

Well that all depends on this trip.  Did they say whether it was a Tuesday or a Wednesday kick yet?  It was up in the air this morning still out here and I hadn't checked. 

Worst stream of the summer for this friendly.  We've bet on urine streams stronger than today.

Man I can't believe I'm missing this trip by two freaking weeks.  I would've been made up.

Just now, DC9 said:

Well that all depends on this trip.  Did they say whether it was a Tuesday or a Wednesday kick yet?  It was up in the air this morning still out here and I hadn't checked. 

Worst stream of the summer for this friendly.  We've bet on urine streams stronger than today.

Man I can't believe I'm missing this trip by two freaking weeks.  I would've been made up.

Tuesday. 2:45 PM EST. The return is the following Wednesday. Same time. 

If you hadn't still of been running round kicking peoples arses then we would have gone the other way and dropped back down to Munich after for a proper reunion. But you continue to get your darn priorities all mixed up. Jürgen doesn't even bother to ask anymore when he looks up. He just shakes his head saying 'Not cool lil' bro. Not cool!' 

Hail. 

YAY! The exhibition games are finally over and we're a week away from going again! Mixed end to pre-season today with Jürgen mixing up the two sides. Great first half hour marred by Origi slipping further down the pecking order with two horror misses. Then it dropped into the mode of a typical 'last game pre-season, nobody wanting to get hurt or over strain themselves.' Interspaced by two wonderful goals from young Ben to cap his fine summer playing inside and another from Solanke who's surely now leap frogged the still regressing Divock to be a genuine, viable PL/ CL option. 

8 games, though 4 different Countries and 4 different Continents the past gruelling 3 and a half weeks. (Doing three-a-days and then having the fourth session of the day a game ..... Yeah, that's one thing I WOULDN'T want to experience under Jürgen! LOL.l.). Not that it matters much of anything but 6 wins, 2 draws, 19 scored, 4 conceded. 1 new trophy added and 1 mighty team in Germany humiliated on their own patch. 

Could have done without the Lalllana injury. And Clyne playing catch-up missing most all of the summer with the hammy. But thankfully we're entering the season at full strength outside of those two. With another great leap in the top youngster's progress, returning quality depth, and new, blossoming stars found that are looking more like the present than the future they were signed for. Oh yea, and some Olympic sprinter dude from Egypt that's just adding a ridiculously frightening dimension. 

All in all a pretty good summer with van Dijk at least still to come in by September 1. (Still can't believe people are thinking there's anything in Chelsea but I'm not debating that again.). 

So now that's over, what's the state of the squad going into Watford?

Mignolet's under no imminent threat the #1 jersey. And he appears to have consciously been far more dominant his area this summer. Along with taking up a Karius like high starting position which is great to see. For all I've slated him, he was superb the second half of last year and fully deserves to remain the main man. Long may that continue. With Ward being out injured until this week, still no wiser who'll be the back-up. Karius has been pretty solid like but until Watford I guess that's a question mark. 

We're a heck of a lot stronger at FB by addition and growth. Having Trent another year on in his development, along with the addition of Robertson, gives a lot of scope to rest both Milner and Clyne and not have their legs dropping off the NY. Which should improve their games massively the second half the year. No fear at all at Trent starting Saturday at Watford. If anything, Clyne may well have a real job getting back in if Trent continues blossoming like he currently is. Flanno's sadly done. I think even at PL level, That's become more apparent his criminal lack of any pace this summer. And Alby has put himself firmly in the shop window again. Hope the Watford move comes off. That'll be a good step to re-establishing himself to get the move back home. 

CB is still the week area of the team, sans the big Dutchman's arrival which I have no doubt will happen. Aside from fitness issues, Lovren and Matip together just never wholly fills you with confidence. Major bonus though to have a fully fit Joe Gomez in the mix again. Who's done his cause no harm with some excellent displays this summer. The fewer games Klaven has to be called upon the better. 

The big addition to the midfield is obviously Phil dropping deeper. Man alive with the options ahead of him now it's frightening to think the numbers he could post this year. Genuinely entering the World class bracket now. None more so than for the National side where he's only just slightly less important to this Brazil than Neymar. The options in the middle leaves that an exceptionally strong area with a great scope for changing, be it through fatigue or tactically match-by-match. The main three last year of Henderson, Wynaldum and Lalllana showed they were as good as anything the league the middle of the park the way no top side came out on top against them. Then you've Can who took his game on another level the second half of last season (not worried at all about the contract there. The manager isn't, no need for anyone else to be. Just the media trying to make something out of nothing), along with the returning Grujic like a completely new signing. And Woodburn and Ejaria filling out the back end, both trusted enough to go in the PL if needed, it's a real strong corp. 

Salah has been just about the most exciting signing the entire window. Man has he developed into a heck of a weapon the last few years. And his off the charts speed is just a small part of that. The dual threat with him and Saidio, and Phil and Bobby interchanging is the stuff of defensive nightmares. Kent's been a major bonus the summer after his YPOTY season on loan Barnsley. Really filled out for the physical side and has added far more than just pace to his game. He's been an unexpected bonus to force himself into the first team group from summer. Still wouldn't mind Chamberlain to round that group out as it's a bit light in terms of similar players but stronger than last season. 

Up front, we'll be starting with Firmino again most weeks and I'm just fine with that. Massively underrated footballer who brings so much to this team beyond the goals output people naturally focus on. Not least as he now has the #9 on his back. But out front 5/6 are that interchangeable there really isn't a central striking figure head whoever starts there so it doesn't really matter. Daniel being healthy and getting his first preseason under his belt in like forever is massive. Even if you have to micromanage him to say 25/30 games, he'll make a massive difference in most of them and get you 15/20 goals. People forget just what a talent Sturridge is down to his injury problems the last few years. Origi's the downside here. He's just continuing to go in a backwards spiral. Whether it's a belief thing or a confidence thing I don't know but he looks like he's dropped right down the depth chart to be well on the outside looking in. Solanke, who you thought was one for the future, has been the polar opposite of Divock to the point he's been that good this summer he's now surely a serious, viable bench option. Said it a million times this summer but just WHAT where Chelsea thinking? This could turn out to be an absolute gem of a pickup. Natural goalscorer and a very smart player already for his age. Super excited to watch his L'pool career. With Danny ings hopefully back out there at some point the second half. With Mané and Salah more than capable of playing through the middle and scoring goals with it, I don't get the great panic over no real money being splashed there. 

van Dijk will round things out nicely and as we stand right now, i'll happily go into battle with that group against anyone.

Hail. 

9 hours ago, DC9 said:

So yeah... you're basically saying "We didn't win **** but we were at the table.  Then Roman bought the club."

Which proves my point. LOL.

I still like you and respect your POV on the game.  I just dislike Chelsea and I always will.

I know you don't like Chelsea, nothing too wrong with that!  We can always agree on skins. You and ghh and fanboy and long n left and all the others, all good dudes and know the game.  you've just got it wrong as far as pl squads go moving forward :)

solanke is so young and raw. He is a promising player no doubt, but with a long way to go. He's also a bit of a head case, if that means anything. Not overly rapid or technical, but a knack for goal. One decisive move and make your play, that's his game. Pool need a top number 9 before they can convince me they are title contenders. 

last thought: I practice here in Richmond all the time. I'm not young anymore,  but I'm disciplined. Anyway, I went out this afternoon and there was a group of young kids training, teenagers probably. Looked like a tryout to me given the numbers and method of separation. I was taken aback by the lack of skill and actual coaching going on. I didn't interrupt. These kids are learning nonsense I saw them repeatedly stop flow of the game and lose possession without being taught the correct way to progress. It's not the best example being here in richmond, but travel squads/academies have a long way to go.

@RichmondRedskin88 see me on the pitch, bro!  

Edited by SkinssRvA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Tuesday. 2:45 PM EST. The return is the following Wednesday. Same time. 

If you hadn't still of been running round kicking peoples arses then we would have gone the other way and dropped back down to Munich after for a proper reunion. But you continue to get your darn priorities all mixed up. Jürgen doesn't even bother to ask anymore when he looks up. He just shakes his head saying 'Not cool lil' bro. Not cool!' 

Hail. 

:rofl89:I had a dream Jurgen came out here.

So 8:45 arab time, then?  Of course... I might have to miss that one, we'll see.  I'll at least have it on the radio.

On 8/4/2017 at 5:51 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well Hell. That's gratitude for yer! Yer mates sending photies of what I imagine is a boss night currently in Dublin. Whilst you're stuck at home. Having spent most of the day sorting their frigging travel and accommodation out the qualifier! 

Mates. Who needs the ****ers! HUMPH! :angry:.

Hajduk Split huh? There's a blast from the past. 

Need to up it a fair bit from the nervy tedium of the last round. Job done like but those were two pretty darn woeful games.

Kind of half want yers to qualify the groups for a kid at work who's 22 and has literally never had the opportunity to go away in Europe with Everton. He's pig sick watching Liverpudlians coming back with great tales so it'd be nice for the likes of him to finally experience.

Hail. 

Yeah they were pretty frustrating games, obviously most of the guys are off. Most frustrating was Gana and Scnederlin looking way off, not their norm. We should be able to get to the group stage, at this point I'm just hoping that getting in these couple of competitive games will help us be more ready for the season starting. We shall see. Keane has looked great all preseason, has really helped solidify the backend so far. 

Be interesting to see where we are when the season actually starts.

Mbappé who claimed he wanted to stay one more year in Monaco is pissing off his teammates with his will to be traded asap, his coach had to lecture him.

Former PSG HC Luis Fernandez and soon to be PSG youth coach claimed that he's signing with PSG ! If true the evil empire has found a new way to totally circumvent the financial fair play. Luis Fernandez announces a Mbappe arrival at PSG live!

Netherlands 4-2 Denmark

• Like 2

Sod it. Less than a week from the season starting, I'm happy nottin' is likely to change significantly to not do the annual predictions. 

As last year, I'll preface this by saying ANYONE that finishes in the top 4, let alone wins the league, will have totally earned it and had a marvellous season. With the similar quality level of the top 6 sides now it's as hard as it's ever been the PL era to secure one of those spots and you could make a strong, valid case for each to finish the CL slots. And could switch your predictions around a multitude of ways and not be far out. 

But as we do need an order for this, here's my 2017/18 Premier League Predictions: 

CL/ EL places- 

1) City
-----------------------------
2) Liverpool
3) Arsenal
4) Utd
-----------------------------
5) Chelsea

As the League Cup/ FA Cup Winners are invariably a team that finishes in the European places, for the sake of those places then going to the PL-

6) Tottenham
7) Everton

And the relegation slots-

------------------------------
18) Huddersfield/ Watford   Tied on that as I have a nagging feeling Watford will drop. And Wagner will motivate Town just enough to stop up. 
19) Brighton
20) Burnley

Underachiever of the season: 

I would go with Chelsea dropping from, albeit surprise Champions to missing out on the CL entirely. I just don't see the same amount of good fortune to go along with a threadbare squad as I type. 

But it'd probably make more waves if Manchester United finish as short as I feel. For all the money spent, a title challenge at the least needs to happen given the weight of expectation that comes with that. And I  see them a ways short of City so I can't see that happening. 

Overachiever of the season:

Newcastle United. No relegation fight this time for the Geordies as they comfortably re-establish themselves under a top manager for the first time. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pushing top 10. If not ending up in it. Which would be a marvellous return to the top flight. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Thanks for the ladies Euro updates FF! Finally a Dutch winner. I'll take it regardless of the sex/level...it's been too long. Amazing how quickly women's teams have caught up to the USA now that these countries are taking them seriously, and giving them money and coaching.

The US is no longer the "big dog", they're in a fight now with 6-7 other nations for Olympic and WC glory. Also, I have little faith in Jill Ellis and US soccer to field their top squad. Too much politics and shenanigans in choosing US sides right now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

.ghh prediction  

As it stands now you've got Chelsea too high.  after today arsenal are too high too, imo. 

The other four (city, pool, Man U, and spurs) are all the front runners imo with city the favorites.  Good luck to all, honestly, and I hope that pl represents in the champions league.  

7 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Thanks for the ladies Euro updates FF! Finally a Dutch winner. I'll take it regardless of the sex/level...it's been too long. Amazing how quickly women's teams have caught up to the USA now that these countries are taking them seriously, and giving them money and coaching.

The US is no longer the "big dog", they're in a fight now with 6-7 other nations for Olympic and WC glory. Also, I have little faith in Jill Ellis and US soccer to field their top squad. Too much politics and shenanigans in choosing US sides right now. 

Unfortunately we're not among these 6-7 nations. We've got a new arrogant coach a former below average player who's got no style whatsoever. Most importantly he shares a common thing with Deschamps: he's the buddy of the president of the FFF !. Germany's loss was quite a shocker but seeing the rise of England, Denmark and the Netherlands was quite entertaining. Newt world cup will be even more interesting.

• Like 2