Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

So hey, I think this was discussed earlier in this thread, or it might have been in a video game thread.  I was looking at the Wiki article about the English football league and see that it goes down something like 24 levels.  Is there a soccer, excuse me, football game that allows you to start as a team that's in division 22 or something and try to steer them all the way to the top?

First, you need to buy the single best soccer game on the market, SI's Football Manager: 

Then, you need to go to a site like sortitoutsi or FM Scout and download a database to go that far down. 

Good luck if you do. It would be a monumental undertaking to try achieve that and many, MANY man hours of game play. But hey, FM is the single most addictive soccer sim ever so be forewarned your life as you know it will soon end as your managerial career takes over!  :lol:  ;).

Hail.

Seem's like United really want Hummles. Personally being a united fan i wouldn't spend £35 on him. 

Completely agree. HUGHLY over hyped/ rated player. 

He's like his National team partner, Arsenal's Mertesacker. Big, strong, particularly in the air An old school centre back that get's something in the way. Great if you're defending your own 18 yard box. But not too clever on the ball and lacking pace. Easy to get behind in the gap between half way and the penalty area. 

The very LAST player Van Gaal needs to blow more serious money on. He won't fix **** back there. 

But hey, here's hoping he tops Utd's shopping list this summer and yes end up paying silly money for him.  :P.

Mignolet has grown a TON in the last several weeks

He most surprisingly has. Amazing what confidence can do for a player huh?

That said, he's still the single worst long term 'keeper I've had the misfortune to watch through my lifetime and needs gone if we're to have consistent reliability back there.

Priority #1 this summer should still be a top class goalkeeper.

I've been preaching this for weeks!! I guess you just needed to hear it in scouse. I'm just glad someone finally talked some sense into you!

:lol:. So I still need to book you in for extra lesson's to acquire these dulcet tones huh?  :D

Let's be perfectly clear, I still don't care for Rodgers one iota for reason's we've done to death in here. And I don't think we'll ultimately return to where we so crave to be under him. He'll only take the club so far IMHO, which is the around the current level we're at. And the football has gotten better (if not wholly great) of late as results have picked up.

Just resigned to the fact that we're not and never have been a sacking club who turns on managers, so I can live with him going into year 4. But the 'honeymoon' is well and truly over and he needs to be SERIOUSLY challenging on ALL fronts and adding silverware or else he needs gone. 

NO exceptions. 

Hey GHH, I thought that Celtic and Liverpool shared some type of bond.  I know that I've heard "Fields of Athenry" at both Celtic Park and Anfield.  Is this not really the case?  Is your like of Rangers/hate for Celtic your personal issue or normal for Pool fans.

Also, love you enthusiasm, but you Sturridge needs to score against a side slightly more adept than West Ham for folks to start with the comparisons to Owen, Fowler, Suarez, etc.  Nice goal, but not exactly great defending (and you were the one who thought Balo would be a great fit here, too).

Just wait until he scores some 'big' goal in the Europa League.  He'll end up being the greatest all time goal scorer in the history of goal scorers.   :o

Strictly speaking, Liverpool have always been the City's protestant club and as such have had a strong allegiance to Rangers. Hell, Everton still sing about hanging L'pool and Rangers fans along the banks of the Mersey. It's always been an interesting dynamic among Liverpool's support the amount of Rangers/ Celtic fans there are. I still have a split L'pool/ Rangers bobble hat (there where L'pool/ Celtic ones) that where all the rage in the '80's. And I used to love the 'Rangers ..... Celtic ..... Rangers ..... Celtic' chant that was a match day staple on the Kop. It's funny you should mention our 'Fields of Anfield Road' song, to the tune of 'Fields of Athenry.' That's an old song now rejigged and very popular among our support, but I remember times past when someone would try start it to be drowned out with 'GTF out with that Catholic IRA loving ****!' or heated words to that effect. 

We played Celtic the first game after Hillsborough so a new bond was formed that's grown. Which is ironic as Celtics English club was traditionally Utd. Our most hated of rivals. They always sing YNWA as part of their staple, and have always supported the Justice campaign. (As have Rangers fans.). The media has just blown it out of all proportion of late. 

But I was brought up in the C of E and a L'pool/ Rangers fan. So **** those IRA loving Irish pricks!  ;)  :P .

As for Sturridge ..... He's a;ready MORE than worthy of comparison to ANY past striker to wear the famous red you care to mention at this stage of his Liverpool career. He's currently sat at a ridiculous 38 goals through 57 games for the club. (33 in 49 league games.). Through his first 50 games for Liverpool FC, he's SECOND in goals scored with 36. That beats the likes of Torres who had 34 through his first 50, and Robbie and Kenny who bagged 31. Only some Glaswegian dude from 1895, George Allen, has a higher mark at 41 through his first 50 Liverpool games. 

He's a ridiculous talent who I wouldn't swap for ANY Munich forward. Even given his injury history. 

And one who I'm sure Bayern would take in a heartbeat if he was ever on the market again. 

And Mario IS a great fit if played to his strengths. With a partner. Witness his games together with Daniel.  ;).

Derbies suck

What is this 'derby' you speak of?

Must be a 'London' one as there's only one team in 'North' London. 

And it isn't you clowns who should return home back over the river to Woolwich where yers belong!  :P

Jo, kid seems like he's got some of the goods you want out of a winger.  Pace, good vision, good weight on the ball.  Needs some time to refine still but he did well vs Bournmouth.

Don't build yourself up on Ono man. 

There's not particularly high hopes for him to be much of anything than a Championship level player. He won't be having much of any career at Anfield based on his progress/ talent to date. 

Ibe on the other hand is everything you've been preaching Raheem isn't. 

But does anyone listen to you in here outside of your big brother?  ;)

West Ham so near yet so far with a depleted first team! 1-1

That would have been a great unexpected three points.

You MORE than deserved the 3 points. 

How ironic was it with Van Gaal throwing on Fellaini for the last 20 minutes or so and just lumping it up to him? Moyes would of been crucified for that. What's the difference?

Utd are a real poor side that have been clinging to the top 4 by virtue of the drop-off from last year of Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and massively Everton. 

When are people gonna' realise what we said at the start of the year. That they are just a name and nothing more right now? 

Aaron Ramsey was really bad yesterday. Awful performance from him. He been bad most of this season.

Yeah, what the Hell has happened here?

He's gone from the best midfielder in the league to just another over hyped Brit.

Sure hope it's just the natural dip young players go through as he looked REAL promising last year and the early part of this.

This Kane kid is too deadly

He is too legit.  Overtook Sturridge as the best English striker, for me.  Danny will get it back when he's fit.  Purple patch for sure for Kane.

Let's see what he does that second season before we start bestowing greatness on the kid. Too many have taken the league by storm the first year, then disappeared without a trace the next. 

The kid at West Brom looks about the best technically and potential wise for me personally over the likes of Kane and Ings who are currently outshining him in the goals column. 

If I where to drop a lot of cash on a good young addition up front it would be Berahino over the other young guns currently in the spotlight. 

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

where's GHH? surprised he hasn't weighed in yet, especially with balo scoring as a part of a striker partnership.

Did he get banned?

**edit

I don't pay that much attention to the Stadium

Thank's for all the concern fella's. Honestly real touched from the posts on this page. 

j is the smarty here. I took an enforced 'vacation.' (Rightly strictly speaking. If a little spurious but hey ho.). 

Nothing more than that.

He's giving himself some buffer time so he can come in here and get back behind the "BR Revolution" after ending every ES Soccer Thread post with "RODGERS OUT!" for 3 months, in the hopes that we'll all forget his reckless change of stance.

:P

And who say's I don't still want that even if I'm not boring y'all with it?  ;).

So in less than 90 minutes on the pitch together - Sturridge and Balotelli paired up has resulted in 5 goals to nil.  Not all off their feet, but that's what you get with a pair, Brendan.

Uncanny how that happens huh?

What? Moi? Smug over what I've been preaching? .....  :D.

Walks out singing 'Mario Fantastico, Mario Magnifico ..... '

Hail.

• Like 2

Thank's for all the concern fella's. Honestly real touched from the posts on this page. 

j is the smarty here. I took an enforced 'vacation.' (Rightly strictly speaking. If a little spurious but hey ho.). 

Nothing more than.....

.....Hail.

Welcome back!!!

Yeah, watched more Danny Ings in recent weeks - kid is for real.  Hopefully Arsenal aren't interested since he's English and all.  He is a southern boy so we'll see.

PSG already making it even easier for Chelski, 6 players injured (4 in the last game finishing with 9 on the field) Motta, Marquinhos, Aurier, Cabaye, Lucas, Pastore.

The round of 16 looks like it was stacked a certain way anyways doesn't it?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Y'all need to get on the Bradford City/ Sunderland game. 

Giant killers Bradford 1 up at half time in a real old fashioned cup tie. 

And that pitch ..... man, we used to play on pitches like that in the top league before the Premier League was formed. 

Today's BPL players don't know how lucky they are. 

Hail. 

*Edit* 2-0 Bradford now. Wonderful stuff. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Yeah I loved looking at the Bradford pitch :lol:

Reminded me of middle school games in Georgia... except it was red clay and not mud.  And I would PRAY for rain cause it was normally in the 80s on a good day.

Tough draw for Middlesbrough... Etihad and then the Emirates.  Always going to be tough.  Arsenal in form as well, probably the 4th most in form team in the league behind ours truly and Spurs.

Welcome back GHH!

Speaking of pitches take a look at the Blackpool pitch from yesterday. I have (no joke) seen U9 games called off on better surfaces. It's a shame the laughing stock that club has become on and off the pitch.

https://twitter.com/tsf/status/566948824615505920

Wow... I thought I saw them playing, maybe I just didn't notice.  I'll bet that was a rough day for passing.

I'm guessing Blackpool's pitch is a bit of a sabotage attempt on their own part. Less chance of teams playing them off the park for the rest of the season and evens out their chances a bit. Really should be something done about it. Either way they're getting relegated anyway though. 

Preston v Man Utd tomorrow could be fun. Have faith in Simon Grayson being able to make a good game of it. 

I'm guessing Blackpool's pitch is a bit of a sabotage attempt on their own part. Less chance of teams playing them off the park for the rest of the season and evens out their chances a bit. Really should be something done about it. Either way they're getting relegated anyway though. 

Preston v Man Utd tomorrow could be fun. Have faith in Simon Grayson being able to make a good game of it. 

Looking like both Blackpool and Wigan are going down from the Championship - shame that two North West clubs are almost dead certs so early. Just hope Milwall go down with them!

My youngest son is with Prestons Academy now - there is a lot of buzz around the club for this match, its a sell out as you would expect. I think a lot are hoping for a draw and a big money spinning replay at Old Trafford. 

Looking like both Blackpool and Wigan are going down from the Championship - shame that two North West clubs are almost dead certs so early. Just hope Milwall go down with them!

My youngest son is with Prestons Academy now - there is a lot of buzz around the club for this match, its a sell out as you would expect. I think a lot are hoping for a draw and a big money spinning replay at Old Trafford. 

Yeah by the sounds of it Milwall were pathetically bad at the weekend. Look in serious bother. Redfearn done some job steering Leeds away from it thankfully!

A repeat of 2010 from Grayson wouldn't be too bad! Beckford out though unfortunately. Garner has always impressed me though even in his Carlisle days. 

Edited by Morrison J

Yeah by the sounds of it Milwall were pathetically bad at the weekend. Look in serious bother. Redfearn done some job steering Leeds away from it thankfully!

A repeat of 2010 from Grayson wouldn't be too bad! Beckford out though unfortunately. Garner has always impressed me though even in his Carlisle days. 

Leeds are looking comfortable right now but if we lose 2 or 3 on the bounce we can get dragged back into trouble. Milwall were not great on Saturday (I have an LUTV subscription so listened to the commentry) but we played reasonably well and had chances to win more comfortably. Morison cant score for love or money right now though, all the goals are coming from midfield.

On Preston I have not seen them play at all this season but the chatter at Preston is that they are defending very well but not creating enough chances, which is pretty much the exact opposite of Graysons teams at Leeds!

Leeds are looking comfortable right now but if we lose 2 or 3 on the bounce we can get dragged back into trouble. Milwall were not great on Saturday (I have an LUTV subscription so listened to the commentry) but we played reasonably well and had chances to win more comfortably. Morison cant score for love or money right now though, all the goals are coming from midfield.

On Preston I have not seen them play at all this season but the chatter at Preston is that they are defending very well but not creating enough chances, which is pretty much the exact opposite of Graysons teams at Leeds!

I do the same myself. Kirwin and Eddie Gray! Although I've changed recently to listen to Adam Pope and Noel Whelan when I can find a stream. Great chemistry between them and Eddie's constant sniffling had me looking to convert..

A confident Luke Murphy, Sol Bamba and finally ditching the diamond and sticking Byram in midfield seems to have made the difference for us on the pitch. Morison may be struggling to find the net but I think he's the only player we have that can do a job in that lone striker role. 

Was getting slightly worried with Redfearns persistence with the diamond and accommodating Bianchi on the right. Just square pegs in round holes really and it wasn't working. 

Aye. Not quite as bad as the Gary Mac days though. Those memories of Lubo Michalik and Paul Telfer at the back will stick with me forever!

Edited by Morrison J
  • Like 1

A confident Luke Murphy, Sol Bamba and finally ditching the diamond and sticking Byram in midfield seems to have made the difference for us on the pitch. Morison may be struggling to find the net but I think he's the only player we have that can do a job in that lone striker role. 

If Morison does not start scoring soon we might get a loom at what this lad Cani can do we brought in on loan in January. Hes a big target man (6' 4") who is supposed to a typical old fashioned number 9. Although his goal scoring record is not much to shout about either.

If we had a real goal scorer we would be pushing the playoffs this season. The rest of the team is not that far off.

If Morison does not start scoring soon we might get a loom at what this lad Cani can do we brought in on loan in January. Hes a big target man (6' 4") who is supposed to a typical old fashioned number 9. Although his goal scoring record is not much to shout about either.

If we had a real goal scorer we would be pushing the playoffs this season. The rest of the team is not that far off.

Yeah I don't think Doukara has the ability in the air for it anyway. Hopefully Cani proves a decent signing but theres definitely been more misses than hits with these foreign players we've brought in in my opinion. 

Theres plenty of talk though that Lewis Walters is very highly rated around the club and is seen capable of having a Lewis Cook or Charlie Taylor type impact. Although he's more of the pacy type of striker..

It all looks positive for next season anyway though. Once the academy keeps producing like it is we'll be alright. Need to get Cook tied down to a long term contract though. The young midfield we have assembled is very promising.